• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

PS4 won the year and the holiday season AGAIN. Case closed. Everything else is just noise/fodder.

Worldwide... :)

Pretty much.
But imo Microsoft has the right to do handle PR as they wish as long as it's not a lie (like that ad about only console with HDR).
Certainly it's peculiar to see that the company that is actually winning doesn't even care about giving a comment and trying to pull down competitors while the company who has lost the whole year and an other holiday season notwithstanding countless deals, price cuts and promotions, wants to create success stories that really don't exist at all costs.
And I also find ironic that people who were predicting Xbox to win both November and December and as a logic consequence they should be the most disappointed by this outcome, are instead defending Microsoft and its ''best selling in second half of the year'' accomplishment (which could even be by an insignificant margin knowing MS). Just a few weeks ago it was all about how Sony fucked up its holiday season by offering a very weak Uncharted bundle that no one wanted. Goalpoasts have been moved again I guess.

Occam

Pretty much.
But imo Microsoft has the right to do handle PR as they wish as long as it's not a lie

While Greenberg hasn't quite reached Trump-level truthiness, he's getting there. Can't be many EXP missing until he can level up.

Rurunaki

Different markets. Bicycles might be down though. What do kids get for Christmas nowadays?

It's PR. Spinning things positively is it's purpose. Who cares? They don't want to give consumers the impression that the product is a loser. They don't want the WiiU lonely in the window jpg. Their job is to create excitement for the product.

Last I checked Nintendo is still in the videogames department. You really think parents don't associate Nintendo with Sony and Xbox? 2016 holiday was a head to head between Playstation and Xbox as the WiiU was basically taken out of the shelves. This year it will be 3 consoles on the floor with varying bundles and Scorpio premium price tag will be comepting with those.

PS4 won the year and the holiday season AGAIN.

Okay.

Case closed.

Right. You just made that point.

Everything else is just noise/fodder.

Actually, no. It's not. Other data points that are accurate can add color to the bigger picture, and help people get an understanding of what's going on in the market.

How 3DS did over a certain period, or Wii U, or PS4, or even Xbox One. As long as the details that come out are true, then these details help.

Worldwide... :)

Okay, but, so? That's a given. Why not go into a media create thread and start talking about WW? It's oranges to the apples of an NPD discussion.

Last I checked Nintendo is still in the videogames department. You really think parents don't associate Nintendo with Sony and Xbox? 2016 holiday was a head to head between Playstation and Xbox as the WiiU was basically taken out of the shelves. This year it will be 3 consoles on the floor with varying bundles and Scorpio premium price tag will be comepting with those.

This is true. If Switch does any damage, it will mostly be to Xbox. The market leader, PS4, with it's strong line-up this year and room to maneouvre on price, should be unaffected.

blakep267

This is true. If Switch does any damage, it will mostly be to Xbox. The market leader, PS4, with it's strong line-up this year and room to maneouvre on price, should be unaffected.
Totally disagree. Something Like Zelda appeals way more to a PlayStation gamer than Xbox. Zelda could take away more sales from Horizon to

EGM1966

Way I see it makes sense for MS to mention taking second half of year (although I suspect we're not talking huge margin) as it's a valid data point.

They could have worded/approached it better but it's a definite improvement hence PR worthy.

That said I believe it was just spike of existing install base upgrading to new model but of course I could be wrong.

Either way PR approach is to imply it's an ongoing shift (which is what they're trying) vs a shorter term boost.

Truth will be known after few NPDs in 2017.

Sony will be happy to take holidays and the year as that puts them net up again vs XB1 with the gap increased overall again of course and probably figure the holiday win will count enough against MS PR to erode the implication of a switch in leadership

Totally disagree. Something Like Zelda appeals way more to a PlayStation gamer than Xbox. Zelda could take away more sales from Horizon to
A game on an unproven system with a higher than expected pricing and barren of the major third party games(which is the real breadwinner)..if you say so

Also why do people keep wanting to do a comparison between these two games

A game on an unproven system with a higher than expected pricing and barren of the major third party games(which is the real breadwinner)..if you say so

Also why do people keep wanting to do a comparison between these two games

Something something... open world... something something... bow and arrow.

Why are they hiding the important facts from us? We need to know which console sold the most on the 2nd Tuesday during the months of April and August!

But I don't remember Sony explicitly saying they sold the most that year in a press release. If they did i would say the same.

i know i'm late, but here is Sonys December 2014 NPD press release:
PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in the U.S. and globally in 2014," a Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson told GamesBeat. ”And [it is] the fastest selling console in PlayStation history with 18.5 million sold through after just 14 months in the market. We are humbled by this success and want to thank gamers worldwide for helping us achieve holiday sales of more than 4.1 million across 123 countries and regions. We are looking forward to another momentous year in 2015 and bringing an epic line up of titles to PlayStation fans around the world
http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/15/sony-ps4-was-the-top-selling-console-of-2014-worldwide/

We do not know that for a fact. Depending on the December gap, PS4 might have sold more since S launch.
the Ps4 and XB1 gap in July was a whooping 10k units
so unless you think the overall gap between Ps4 and XB1 for the second half of 2016 is below 10k units, leaving out July would not make a difference

Raylan

Banned
I don't really buy that. I believe if the Pro had sold really well they would be shouting it from the rooftops.
Why and what excatly? "A PS4 sold better than another PS4"? It's just a PS4. More premium, but still just a PS4. OG PS4 will be the best seller during this gen.

Theorry

Not sure if posted already?

Trusted game industry sources who receive NPD figures have once again given us some insight into how the Xbox is doing sales-wise in the US.

NPD Group research retail sales in the US, offering Sony and Microsoft the opportunity to say who "won" the sales race for each month. The actual figures are a closely guarded secret, until now!

For the month of December, Xbox sold 1,511,000 units across both its Xbox One and Xbox One S consoles, which puts Xbox sales up 10% year-over-year for December. Sony took the sales lead selling 1,568,000 consoles during December, with 238,000 units of its PlayStation 4 Pro edging Microsoft into second place.

http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-playstation-neck-and-neck-npd-dec-2016

Welfare

Pro sold 238,000 as well. Super close results in December, just like I said there would be. January is the ultimate test for Xbox One S.

Posting those numbers again. Bold.

I personally detest Jez Corden a great deal, so I wouldn't weep to see him get hit with a cease and desist from NPD.

Posting those numbers again. Bold.

I personally detest Jez Corden a great deal, so I wouldn't weep to see him get hit with a cease and desist from NPD.

he's not in trouble. he did never sign any NDA with the NPD group, or a company that is a subscriber to the NPD report.
his leaker is the only person, NPD could go against
just like we can share and talk about this numbers without getting into (legal) trouble ;)

most interesting part for me: Ps4 was not really down YoY this December. Ps4 was basically flat. Just down a little below 1%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom