• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of November 2016

Considering these have been some of the best deals, but as a base price and as a bundle, that both consoles have been sold at this entire generation, both consoles being down that much YoY is a bit worrying.

With PS4 hitting 50 million sold and having their best Black Friday ever I don't think there is much worry about on their end. Honestly there really wasn't much software to push hardware this Fall. Next year should be much better in terms of big AAA holiday titles.

donny2112

Assuming WindowsCentral numbers are correct, some historical fourth November comparisons.

4th November
PS2/XBX - ~1.5m
PS360 - ~1.5m
PS4/XB1 - ~2.1m

The interesting thing comes in when adding December. December used to be close to 2x November when those PS2/XBX and PS360 numbers came up. Combining Nov+Dec and assuming flat MOM for PS4/XB1 (the recent trend) ...

4th November+December
PS2/XBX - ~4.5m
PS360 - ~4.1m
PS4/XB1 - ~4.2m (assuming flat MOM for December, which is the recent trend)

I think this is a likely result, so while Nov is way up over previous Sony/MS gen's November, the shift of sales to November makes the Nov+Dec more flat historically. Seems okay to me. Not great but not doom worthy, either.

Guymelef

EEDAR/NPD was predicting to get PSVR numbers at ~10% of the PS4 install base (i.e. typical high expectations accessory attach rate). Impossible to tell how it's really doing without October numbers and stock in November, but 68K for the month of November does not seem promising.

What amazes me is how some people are being paid for these crazy predictions.

Considering these have been some of the best deals, but as a base price and as a bundle, that both consoles have been sold at this entire generation, both consoles being down that much YoY is a bit worrying.

No. Last year saw bundles with Battlefront, BLOPS3,and the release of FO4 with comparably priced bundles in what is traditionally a stronger holiday than year four.

Look, every time consoles are down YoY, people on GAF scream and cry that the sky is falling, but step outside of the echo chamber for a moment. Liam Callahan at NPD isn't panicking. Analysts at other firms aren't panicking. The media isn't panicking. Everyone outside of GAF isn't panicking. Every single time consoles have ever been down, as far as GAF is concerned its either worrying, or concerning, or alarming, or a bad sign, etc.

But it's not. Consoles soldier on, just as they have since forever. This is why Cosmic Queso abandoned the thread earlier today, because people don't listen to measure and reason. The sky isn't falling. These numbers are fine. I don't understand this weird obsession that everything has to be up YoY or its a sign of the end times.

Both just got revisions and pricedrops though. Systems aren't usually down YOY when that happens.

Exactly. PS4 pro had what? Two months of pre orders build up? Maybe it's cause I'm new here but I can't see how this gen's most popular console being down that much in November being "fine".

I won't really say the deals were that great at least comapre to last year for PS.
Also the software was also not as good as last year .

Exactly. PS4 pro had what? Two months of pre orders build up? Maybe it's cause I'm new here but I can't see how this gen's most popular console being down that much in November being "fine".

Even if the Pro had 2 months of pre orders build up no one know how it going to effect the market .
This is something that has never happen before so we have to wait and see how good the sales going to be .
Pro not going to move much units in Nov with no deals .

With the great software bombs of October
And the magnificent blackest of Monday deals
in hindsight they were good indicators of poorer (yoy) performance
I'm not too surprised it was a worst drop than I had initially anticipated (~20%)

But cod doing so poorly is alarming for the market at large

Well for me at least

Uh, it was a 399 dollar console not aimed at the mass market, which cares most about affordability? It's not hard.

Were you this concerned when PS4 sold around 850k in Nov 2014?

"Xbox totally won NPD. Also Xbox is totally winning the sales here too, its incredible. Playstation has been an "international" platform for years and they continue to use undocumented immigrants for their sales. So when we deport those, you know fix that problem of the German, Spain, Japanese type people here then you will see what the real numbers are, and it's great , totally great".

Xbox One Trumps Playstation 4 again.

Guymelef

No. Last year saw bundles with Battlefront, BLOPS3,and the release of FO4 with comparably priced bundles in what is traditionally a stronger holiday than year four.

Look, every time consoles are down YoY, people on GAF scream and cry that the sky is falling, but step outside of the echo chamber for a moment. Liam Callahan at NPD isn't panicking. Analysts at other firms aren't panicking. The media isn't panicking. Everyone outside of GAF isn't panicking. Every single time consoles have ever been down, as far as GAF is concerned its either worrying, or concerning, or alarming, or a bad sign, etc.

But it's not. Consoles soldier on, just as they have since forever. This is why Cosmic Queso abandoned the thread earlier today, because people don't listen to measure and reason. The sky isn't falling. These numbers are fine. I don't understand this weird obsession that everything has to be up YoY or its a sign of the end times.

The typical NeoGAF Roller Coaster NPD. One month consoles are dead, next month industry lives its better moment.

When it comes to Sony no one can say they going to have better deals this Dec compare to last year .
Which is why i say this year remind of 2014 when it look like Sony was sleeping in the US .

I admit, 1mn for XBOX One S is an excellent result for them. 1,1 mn for PS4 family, not so much - both from a 2015 perspective and regarding the rather minor gap to their opponent.

That said, with PS4 Pro and PSVR being sold out on a grand scale, in the US and other Tier-1 markets, I would point my finger at the PS4 Slim if I had to determine a scapegoat.

fast_taker

I've read an article that Sony sold 1.1m consoles and ms 1m consoles. If the figures are valid and considering the ps4pro launch, I think that Sony under performed. In any case ms finally seems to be doing quite a good job as far as Xbox is concerned. Kudos to Phil.

Come on now. That's Mehdi, not Greenberg :p

But seriously, Greenberg has the numbers and retweeted an article with NPD results. Crystal clear on accuracy except for the fact that 1m and 1.1m are rounded.

Good point, Greenberg is far more dishonest as a rule than Mehdi.

EDIT: was Cybermonday accounted for in the November NPDs last year? Or did it fall into December like this year?

Dante

I've read an article that Sony sold 1.1m consoles and ms 1m consoles. If the figures are valid and considering the ps4pro launch, I think that Sony under performed. In any case ms finally seems to be doing quite a good job as far as Xbox is concerned. Kudos to Phil.

Hey guys we lost....... but we actually won....sort of.

Elfstruck

You should apply for MS PR.

am i reading this right?. Last November OG PS4 alone sold 1.55M, now with 2 new models just 1.1M.

Not saying industry is doomed or anything but with those being the numbers of the best selling console we are seeing some serious decline.

Aceofspades

Banned
3 days ago Sony announced 50m PS4 sold to customers plus "biggest BF week sales in history of PS" and people here are talking doom and gloom?!

Some people needs to broaden their idea about the concept of worldwide market, I know its NPD but if you are going to talk doom, but things in perspective first.

Loudninja

am i reading this right?. Last November OG PS4 alone sold 1.55M, now with 2 new models just 1.1M.

Not saying industry is doomed or anything but with those being the numbers of the best selling console we are seeing some serious decline.

Last year had Star Wars bundles and COD bundles.

This year one bundle, oh an a limited FF15 bundle for December.

donny2112

Any news on 3ds?

Up YOY, but no idea how much. With the resurgence since Pokemon Go and the news that Pokemon Sun/Moon were the biggest releases, yet, being up YOY is hardly surprising. Hopefully Nintendo will say how much next Thursday with the PR releases.

kyser73

Assuming WindowsCentral numbers are correct, some historical fourth November comparisons.

4th November
PS2/XBX - ~1.5m
PS360 - ~1.5m
PS4/XB1 - ~2.1m

The interesting thing comes in when adding December. December used to be close to 2x November when those PS2/XBX and PS360 numbers came up. Combining Nov+Dec and assuming flat MOM for PS4/XB1 (the recent trend) ...

4th November+December
PS2/XBX - ~4.5m
PS360 - ~4.1m
PS4/XB1 - ~4.2m (assuming flat MOM for December, which is the recent trend)

I think this is a likely result, so while Nov is way up over previous Sony/MS gen's November, the shift of sales to November makes the Nov+Dec more flat historically. Seems okay to me. Not great but not doom worthy, either.

Stop this logic & reason nonsense. Everyone & everything is DOOMED!!!! DOOOOOOOOMMMMED!!!!

I agree with this though - if holiday sales are down across November and December probably worth some concern, but like you I think the period will be flat/negligible movement up or down.

STEaMkb

xbox one sold 1 million
ps4 family sold 1.1 million
ps vr 68k

according to a windowscentral source
windowscentral.com/xbox-november-sales-1-million

The Windows Central source for 100k figure appears to be Mooch and Crapgamer, according to one Redditor who did some digging.

The author of the article Jez Corden appeared on Fridays episode of the CrossFire Podcast hosted by Mooch and Crapgamer where he explicitly says he does not know if Sony beat Microsoft by a large margin or a small margin. During the same podcast, Mooch comments that he has insiders within Microsoft that inform him that Novembers gap is around 100k. The full podcast is later uploaded to YouTube. Jez Corden next writes his Windows Central piece citing an unnamed source who says the gap between the two systems is 100k.

Why is WC entertaining these clowns?

The Windows Central source for 100k figure appears to be Mooch and Crapgamer, according to one Redditor who did some digging.

The author of the article Jez Corden appeared on Fridays episode of the CrossFire Podcast hosted by Mooch and Crapgamer where he explicitly says he does not know if Sony beat Microsoft by a large margin or a small margin. During the same podcast, Mooch comments that he has insiders within Microsoft that inform him that Novembers gap is around 100k. The full podcast is later uploaded to YouTube. Jez Corden next writes his Windows Central piece citing an unnamed source who says the gap between the two systems is 100k.

Why is WC entertaining these clowns?
So uh what does everyone make of this?

Kayant

Why are we acting like Greenberg hasn't tweeted inaccurate or disingenuous stuff before?

Plenty of legit sites have run with Chartzz numbers many times, because the author doesn't know any better or he doesn't care as long as he gets to write what he wanted
Yep and that same author has wrote this before -

Back in September when the PS4 Pro was unveiled, Jez Corden wrote this:

I've seen plenty of detractors claiming that Scorpio-powered 4K games will be low in detail, but sources close to Microsoft's plans have confirmed to me that major existing Xbox titles will receive the full 4K-native, 60 FPS treatment on Scorpio, without sacrificing existing graphical features in the process.

http://www.windowscentral.com/ps4-pro-xbox-one-s-scorpio-console-war

So yeah. All a bit sketchy.

The numbers. Are. Legit.

My God.

Also, "We've sold 50 million consoles! PS4 is the fastest selling ever! Biggest BF week in the brand's history!"

GAF: Consoles are dying.

Lol.

Top Bottom