• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

manueldelalas said:
mm but Gears is published by Microsoft everywhere... I don't know if it should be considered first or third party... Sure, Epic owns the license but it's the same as saying that Resistance 2 is third party...
I think that's what he was implying. Of course GoW is first party, it's published by MS - is there even anyone doubting that? I know it's GAF and all but still.

Johann

Narcosis said:
The "whatever reason" was the fact that Sega marketed the shit out of their own sports games and third party ones, and that's what people associated the system with. They also did a hell of a good job of marketing to the teen/young adult males who were interested in things like football and boxing.

Yeah, the Genesis had this 'American' aesthetic going for it with Sonic's attitude and the plethora of sports game on the system.

This is funny considering how the Dreamcast was a very Japanese console with its selection of games.

TJ Spyke

Phife Dawg said:
I think that's what he was implying. Of course GoW is first party, it's published by MS - is there even anyone doubting that? I know it's GAF and all but still.

Nintendo published Dynasty Warrirors Advance, would you consider that first party too? I know MS probably considers GOW first party though.

botticus

skinnyrattler said:
Every 2 pages, this question comes up. This thread is a beast. This thread is hardcore. Anybody complete it yet?

Wow, JVM, you have 360 @ 6 million when their games in the top 10 nearly account for 3.5 million? Do they sell any games outside of the top 10? Is this some weird sheep mechanic? That just seems weird. I can't even get my head around that.
My analysis for the first 9 months of the year puts around 50% of 360 software sales in the top 10 on average, compared to 10% of Wii software.

Neomoto

Of course I consider GoW 2 first party. Hence that game alone takes 1.5+ million of total Xbox360 software sales this month because if you make a distinction between first and third party with Wii software sales, the same applies to the Xbox360.

Link

The Autumn Wind
fresquito said:
When this FY closes and you see third parties having loses, you'd have to start wondering how many heads will start rolling.
None will. The top brass will just blame poor performance on lack of Wii software sales and the cycle will continue.

swerve said:
Honestly, I don't think they did. I expect, sometime in January '08, many publishers to actually start taking serious action regarding the shift in the marketplace. Throughout the industry there has been a tendency (and desire) to think of Wii as a 'fad', and that's only now, after 2 holidays, convincingly disprovable.

The money left on the table this year is going to make a lot of people (not just the GAF) very angry, and looking at how fragile a lot of franchises and publishers seem right now, they can't afford to let that happen again.

2008 looks to me like it could be one of the most interesting, surprising years in gaming history.
Sound familiar? The argument hasn't changed a year later, and next year we'll be making the same one with '10 in place of the year.

It's not that third parties haven't learned, it's that they don't care.

Deku

Banned
Neomoto said:
Of course I consider GoW 2 first party. Hence that game alone takes 1.5+ million of total Xbox360 software sales this month because if you make a distinction between first and third party with Wii software sales, the same applies to the Xbox360.

It's certainly sold,advertised and funded like a 1st party franchise.

Link said:

I am sure they care, they just dont have the kow how to exploit wii market ... it will take a while till companies can replicate Nintendo success.

Captain Smoker said:
Brawl: ~ 3.700.000*
Gala.: ~ 3.400.000*
Tw. P.: 2.200.000**
MP 3: ~ 800.000*

*estimates based on officially NPD data, but should be close. :p
**source is a recently published IGN article, up to date data.
Thank you !

graphus03.png

(for Zelda on 64, it's only OOT. MM do ~ 1 300 000.)

http://www.nintendojofr.com/redaction/nouvelles/?id=ttcQ

Link

The Autumn Wind
Starchasing said:
I am sure they care, they just dont have the kow how to exploit wii market ... it will take a while till companies can replicate Nintendo.
Trying to replicate Nintendo is exactly the fallacy third parties have been making. They should be filling in the holes Nintendo's software leads. I don't understand why everyone thinks third parties need this new, radical way of thinking when it comes to the Wii. How about trying to release a well-budgeted, competent title like the ones that are being released on the competition?

Link said:
Trying to replicate Nintendo is exactly the fallacy third parties have been making. They should be filling in the holes Nintendo's software leads. I don't understand why everyone thinks third parties need this new, radical way of thinking when it comes to the Wii. How about trying to release a well-budgeted, competent title like the ones that are being released on the competition?

I meant financial success, not replicating exactly what nintendo does..

many companies have been doing the same things forever dont expect them to change fast

How about trying to release a well-budgeted, competent title like the ones that are being released on the competition?

because budgets are planed in advance... and they decided to invest their money in on the ps360...

TJ Spyke said:
Nintendo published Dynasty Warrirors Advance, would you consider that first party too? I know MS probably considers GOW first party though.
If they publish it, sure. Z&W, TC etc. are first party here in Europe too.

Scrubking

Starchasing said:
As i said earlier i meant financial success. To me most companies seem like they dont know what Wii owners want

They dont' know because they don't want to know. Their minds are made up that Wii is kiddie casual only and will not try to put other kinds of games on the System. And unlike the ignorant people on here who spout off that nonsense these companies have no excuse because they get the numbers and see what is selling. The best example is a Ubisoft exec who openly said that Wii gamers don't buy software.

Ubisoft UK Managing director said:
It's not a hardcore machine. As it's a family-orientated machine it attracts a slightly different consumer – someone who is price savvy, someone who doesn't buy a lot of software.

IF companies want success on Wii they need to pull a Guitar Hero and put a full effort traditional game on the Wii with the same features and modes as the other versions. As long as they only offer casual games and half efforts they will fail.

Scrubking said:
They dont' know because they don't want to know. Their minds are made up that Wii is kiddie casual only and will not try to put other kinds of games on the System. And unlike the ignorant people on here who spout off that nonsense these companies have no excuse because they get the numbers and see what is selling. The best example is a Ubisoft exec who openly said that Wii gamers don't buy software.

IF companies want success on Wii they need to pull a Guitar Hero and put a full effort traditional game on the Wii with the same features and modes as the other versions. As long as they only offer casual games and half efforts they will fail.

thats what i meant when said they dont understand Wii...

fresquito said:
Sorry, but your "argument" makes no sense.

Nintendo sells software to drive hardware. They knew they wouldn't need any big title for this holiday season to drive hardware. Any big title wouldn't have made the Wii to sell beyond what it's selling right now. They knew this and they knew they would better wait and work on their games and release them at a later time, to create new momentum.

On the other hand third parties don't sell software to move hardware. They dropped the ball big time, because any moderately big advertised and good quality title would have sold like crazy. They had nothing to offer and they gained nothing.

When this FY closes and you see third parties having loses, you'd have to start wondering how many heads will start rolling.
Again, that's not what I said. Nintendo is not refusing to release holiday titles because they'd rather spend time developing their games completely and have enough breathing room to not need them to drive hardware sales. Nintendo of Japan has published and released a decent number of titles throughout the year for both the DS and Wii and NOA refuses to release them during the holiday season, likely to give more room to Animal Crossing and Wii Music.

There's no excuse for that and no one should be trying to make one.

adamma666

I read through some pages of this thread, but I can't read all of it. what numbers did we get that are not in the OP? anything? a short summary would be gladly appreciated!

Scrubking

ShockingAlberto said:
Again, that's not what I said. Nintendo is not refusing to release holiday titles because they'd rather spend time developing their games completely and have enough breathing room to not need them to drive hardware sales.

Then what is the reason? There's got to be a reason.

I don't know if this was ever confirmed true, but I read that the reason NOA VC lineup sucked was because hardware sales were so good as opposed to Japan. It is very much a possibility that this is true and sales in America are so good that Reggie doesn't care about releasing new Nintendo software and would rather wait for a better time where it can better help hardware.

Again I don't know what's going on, but there is a reason for everything Nintendo does other than "they hate us", "there is no excuse".

Scrubking said:
Then what is the reason? There's got to be a reason.

I don't know if this was ever confirmed true, but I read that the reason NOA VC lineup sucked was because hardware sales were so good as opposed to Japan. It is very much a possibility that this is true and sales in America are so good that Reggie doesn't care about releasing new Nintendo software and would rather wait for a better time where it can better help hardware.

Again I don't know what's going on, but there is a reason for everything Nintendo does other than "they hate us", "there is no excuse".
They do have some sort of weird plan of holding back games and, just looking at the results, I'd be hard pressed to say they're wrong.

It reminds me of this episode of Seinfeld where George just acts against his every instinct and says the opposite of what he thinks he should say. So he walks up to a woman and says "I'm balding, live with my parents, and have no employment," and she agrees to go out with him, so he continues living like that.

It seems like Nintendo is just acting against what they did in the GC era of quick, but good translations and trying to keep the system afloat on their own shoulders.

Link said:
Sound familiar? The argument hasn't changed a year later, and next year we'll be making the same one with '10 in place of the year.

According to IGN, this will indeed change for 2009. They claim to have already seen these 3rd party Wii games.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936938p7.html

But as readers will see, more and more companies will begin supporting Wii with ambitious works -- software typically reserved for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

We shall see...

Kenka

Shaheed79 said:
That is EXACTLY where I put Wii's November software 2 days ago when the numbers first came out and all I did was multiply the number of Wii consoles sold by Wii's 2008 average software attach ratio (5.5). Good to know that number is still holding up.

I am sorry if I appear extremely uneducated but can someone clarify if Wii Sports sales are counted in the attach ratio ?

Gaborn

Kenka said:
I am sorry if I appear extremely uneducated but can someone clarify if Wii Sports sales are counted in the attach ratio ?

Only in Japan - Because in Japan it's not bundled with the console.

Kandinsky said:
Man CT not even in the top 20, makes me cry D:

Yeah. I mean I'd hate for Square-Enix to release the game on the Virtual Console for $8 instead of me having to pay 5 times more for it.

Link said:
None will. The top brass will just blame poor performance on lack of Wii software sales and the cycle will continue.

Yeah forget how SEGA has really stepped up to have the Wii basically be their focus console platform, let's forget all of the small/medium third parties now supporting the Wii, let's forget Dragon Quest X's announcement on the Wii, Tales of Mothership Wii Title, or the recent announcment of TMNT Brawler.

I know third parties aren't supporting the Wii like they are but saying that there was no progress with "things aren't changing" is just ridiculous.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Link said:
That's funny, considering the best selling PS2 game was GTA:SA, with about 20 million units sold. That's with a userbase of over 140 million.

EDIT - Actually, that number includes Xbox and PC sales, so it's lower than that on the PS2.

About 16 million. GT3 is around 15-16 million. Those are the two best selling PS2 games

Wow, I feel like I am one of the very few people who actually game on their PS3. Sony must be shitting themselves with horrible software sales like that. Poor LBP - how could this have possibly happened Sony? Do most PS3 owners not buy games anymore? Or are they only buying multiplatform games? The releases this season where pretty good across the board so I think there must be a severe disconnect between Sony's marketing and it's install base.

I expect to see a strong decline in other companies investments in the PS3 library over the next year. Fortunately the odds of KZ2, Heavy Rain, GoW3, Uncharted 2 and Infamous being canceled are very low, so my gaming needs are covered for one more year . . . but unless something substantial changes with Sony's management, I expect developers will stop bothering to even make half-assed ports for Sony's system.

Don't worry people, this Wii thing is almost over.

Isn't this about the time that everyone is supposed to realize how dated their wii games look when compared to PS3/360 games and instantly regret their purchase?

The return lines at Retail are going to be EPIC.

botticus

civilstrife said:
Don't worry people, this Wii thing is almost over.

Isn't this about the time that everyone is supposed to realize how dated their wii games look when compared to PS3/360 games and instantly regret their purchase?

The return lines at Retail are going to be EPIC.
Sorry, you're about three years early. The returns don't happen until 2011 (lots of Costco buyers, apparently).

wii_ps3_xbox_forecast_425.jpg

the_prime_mover said:
Wow, I feel like I am one of the very few people who actually game on their PS3. Sony must be shitting themselves with horrible software sales like that. Poor LBP - how could this have possibly happened Sony? Do most PS3 owners not buy games anymore? Or are they only buying multiplatform games? The releases this season where pretty good across the board so I think there must be a severe disconnect between Sony's marketing and it's install base.

I expect to see a strong decline in other companies investments in the PS3 library over the next year. Fortunately the odds of KZ2, Heavy Rain, GoW3, Uncharted 2 and Infamous being canceled are very low, so my gaming needs are covered for one more year . . . but unless something substantial changes with Sony's management, I expect developers will stop bothering to even make half-assed ports for Sony's system.

Without trying to be a smartass, I think a big chunk of PS3 owners, might also be 360 owners.

Of all the PS3 owners I know including myself (about 10) 3 DON'T own a 360, the other 7 do. And of the the 3 that don't NONE of them play games all that much, let alone online.

They pretty much use it for Blu-ray or for one particular title. FIFA 09 usually.

As to LBP planet, what happened there is EXACTLY what I said in the official thread before it launched, but of course, was chastised for it. You can't speak logic to fanboys.

LBP is a great game, I bought it almost day one, but honestly, it's FAR too deep for the market Sony wanted to target. And the actual platforming mechanics aren't all that great. The meat is in the creation, and the creation ain't easy.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
sprocket said:
hey that chart was right about 2008! :D

Actually no, the Wii must be at 35M units or so right now, which is what they predicted for 2009. 2008 is 30M. Which is completely ridiculous when you think about it. I mean, how could a system that manages to sell 30M units in 2 years sell only 5M units more in its third year, even if it's a fad? *facepalm*

botticus

Kilrogg said:
Actually no, the Wii must be at 35M units or so right now, which is what they predicted for 2009. 2008 is 30M. Which is completely ridiculous when you think about it. I mean, how could a system that manages to sell 30M units in 2 years sell only 5M units more in its third year, even if it's a fad? *facepalm*
Well, I did misspeak in my first post. The returns must be starting in 2009, which severely hinders the install base growth. It's not until 2011 that returns exceed purchases.

botticus said:
Sorry, you're about three years early. The returns don't happen until 2011 (lots of Costco buyers, apparently).

wii_ps3_xbox_forecast_425.jpg
I like how that chart assumes that all of the consoles will have 100+ million user bases.

Leezard

Aaron Strife said:
I like how that chart assumes that all of the consoles will have 100+ million user bases.
What? Not one of the consoles is above the 40 mark. Unless you are talking about all the consoles combined, and in that case 100+ million user bases are completely normal.

Top Bottom