• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

liuelson

Captain Smoker said:
Ah I see, NnS is also bundled.

Maybe 3rd Parties should bundle their games more often with some peripherals, if we look at Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Link's Crossbow Training and this game had the biggest opening month of all EA - Wii games. :lol

Actually, I believe it's a peripheral that allows you to add Wii functionality to existing Nerf toys. Technically, the Wii game is the peripheral, and the Nerf toys are the installed base. ;-)

http://kotaku.com/5110889/littlebigplanet-valkyria-chronicles-sales-disappoint

Couple of sad stories for you today, PS3 owners. One involving a cute little title that should never have been thrust into the limelight as a system seller. The other, a gorgeous tactical RPG.

Let's start with LittleBigPlanet, then. Media Molecule's quirky, original platformer was always going to be a struggle to sell to the holiday masses, what with it being an original IP that involved neither rock music nor guns. But even Sony's most pessimistic sales teams wouldn't have been prepared for this.

The game sold an OK-ish 205,000 units in October, but wasn't out for that long. It'd do a lot better in November, when it was on sale for all four weeks, right? No. It sold a disappointing 141,000 units for the month, which saw it slip out of NPD top 20 charts altogether.

Lord only knows how few copies it would have sold had it not been marketed to hell and high water. Then again, maybe that was the game's problem. The game itself is fine, as its "failure" is a relative one. Selling 346,000 of a niche, debut IP with novel concepts would otherwise have been a huge success!

But selling 346,000 copies of your most high-profile holiday release? That is not a success.

The second game we're looking at today is an even sadder tale. Valkyria Chronciles is one of the best-looking games of this hardware generation, and although tactical RPGs of the Japanese variety aren't big sellers, it still would have been nice to see it move more than 33,000 copies in North America for the month of November.

33,000 means the game wasn't even in the top 100-selling titles for the month. Meaning it probably got beaten by some Imagine: and Nancy Drew games. So sad.

Quality PS3-exclusive titles are few and far between these days, so why were two of the best for the holiday season such poor performers? PS3 owners? Suggestions?

TJ Spyke

Sony must be marketing LittleBigPlanet only on cable/satelite (I have neither at the moment). The only commercials on broadcast TV that feature LittleBigPlanet are those generic PS3 commercials that have a bunch of different games (but don't identify the names of those games). There TV ads have been piss poor, that's partially to blame for low sales.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Captain Smoker said:

That's not bad then. In the UK it's almost exclusively the Wii version being advertised. They do a good job showing off the fact that you can use the Balance Board to play it, and it does look pretty fun from that.

I wonder if they are selling to people who already own the board (and Wii Fit), or new buyers? They should sell the board separately by now since a couple of games use it.

SovanJedi said:
That's not bad then. In the UK it's almost exclusively the Wii version being advertised. They do a good job showing off the fact that you can use the Balance Board to play it, and it does look pretty fun from that.

I wonder if they are selling to people who already own the board (and Wii Fit), or new buyers? They should sell the board separately by now since a couple of games use it.
I hope Ubisoft learns from this and remembers their success with Red Steel & first RRR (not that bad :p).

At least half-decent game + good marketing = good sales numbers

Vinci

Danish
Captain Smoker said:
I hope Ubisoft learns from this and remembers their success with Red Steel & first RRR (not that bad :p).

At least half-decent game + good marketing = good sales numbers

You're giving them too much credit. I fully expect them to follow this up with utter garbage that receives no advertising whatsoever, then proceed to whine for months about how their products don't sell as well as Nintendo's. This will even be more humorous because they'll wait to put out these products at the same time as Nintendo brings out the new Wii Sports and Punch Out.

It'll be glorious.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Vinci said:
You're giving them too much credit. I fully expect them to follow this up with utter garbage that receives no advertising whatsoever, then proceed to whine for months about how their products don't sell as well as Nintendo's. This will even be more humorous because they'll wait to put out these products at the same time as Nintendo brings out the new Wii Sports and Punch Out.

It'll be glorious.
To Quote myself from the Ubi thread last month:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13777785#post13777785

Link said:
Exec 1: Excellent, excellent. Tell the boys downstairs I want another two dozen Petz games for the Wii by summer.

Peon: But sir.... Shaun White is proving to be quite successful.

Exec 2: He's right, Jim. We might want to branch out a little.

Exec 1: Hmm, good point. Tell them I want at least half of those two dozen Petz games to support the Balance Board.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
For some reason the first thing that sprung to mind from Link's self-quoting there was a Petz game where you give Thai massages to tortoise-backs using the Balance Board as a virtual tortoise shell you step on and apply pressure to.

EDIT: Oh sonovabitch, VGZhartc strikes again?! Bailout, Forget about Freeman, e.t.c.

Vinci

Danish
SovanJedi said:
For some reason the first thing that sprung to mind from Link's self-quoting there was a Petz game where you give Thai massages to tortoise-backs using the Balance Board as a virtual tortoise shell you step on and apply pressure to.

Your dealer. His name. Gimme.

Link

The Autumn Wind
SovanJedi said:

Wat?

Linkup

Some many places just accepting chartzzz numbers without questioning them or using the excuse that they are accurate enough. blah

Fredescu

Linkup said:
Some many places just accepting chartzzz numbers without questioning them or using the excuse that they are accurate enough. blah
Again I ask, is that what happened here? They quote John Taylor who is a known analyst. It's reasonable to assume that he got the real numbers and vgc got it from the news articles.

Linkup

Fredescu said:
Again I ask, is that what happened here? They quote John Taylor who is a known analyst. It's reasonable to assume that he got the real numbers and vgc got it from the news articles.

Maybe so, but it's getting hard to tell since no one confirms this stuff.

Jammy

Banned
So... let me get this straight...

-Rock Band Wii (~250,000 in its sixth month) and Nerf N Strike struck gold for EA and will probably continue their excellent sales into January, yet EA somehow BLAMES Wii on their misfortunes? I also think Boogie Superstar and MySims are as "evergreen" a title as they can get on a platform.

-Shaun White Snowboarding sells over 100,000 on Wii, with 40% of all of the game's sales coming from that version alone.

All of these have cheaper budgets than HD counterparts. And people are still saying third party games don't sell on the system? People still aren't seeing where they need to put their games when studios are closing left and right with these numbers right in front of them?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Why are you guys bagging on John Taylor? He uses NPD data in his private investor reports.

Just because it matches someone else's fake numbers doesn't mean his numbers are fake.

If John Taylor said it, then I'd wager that number in the Reuters article is right and direct from NPD data.

jvm said:
Why are you guys bagging on John Taylor? He uses NPD data in his private investor reports.

Just because it matches someone else's fake numbers doesn't mean his numbers are fake.

If John Taylor said it, then I'd wager that number in the Reuters article is right and direct from NPD data.
Thx, but the numbers were just too close and I didn't know him before. ^^

Luckyman

Banned
Jammy said:
So... let me get this straight...

-Rock Band Wii (~250,000 in its sixth month) and Nerf N Strike struck gold for EA and will probably continue their excellent sales into January, yet EA somehow BLAMES Wii on their misfortunes? I also think Boogie Superstar and MySims are as "evergreen" a title as they can get on a platform.

-Shaun White Snowboarding sells over 100,000 on Wii, with 40% of all of the game's sales coming from that version alone.

All of these have cheaper budgets than HD counterparts. And people are still saying third party games don't sell on the system? People still aren't seeing where they need to put their games when studios are closing left and right with these numbers right in front of them?

News at 11. Wii is the perfect place to exploit your licensed properties and party games.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
jvm said:

kay.png
'kay then, we shall have faith. Well I will anyway.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just a quick followup: I received a response that, as wagered, the Taylor figures in the Reuters article are NPD data.

Jammy said:
I think the way it works is that EA blames the Wii and it's lack of EA titles on EA's financial woes. If the Wii had only had more EA titles, then EA could have sold more software on the Wii and would therefore be in better financial shape.

It's either that or they think that the Wii is taking marketshare away from the HD Twins - who's basket EA put all most of their eggs in.

sun-drop

how does that luke guy get a job on a multiplatform site ... games reporting really is ina sad state these days isn't it.

"Quality PS3-exclusive titles are few and far between these days"

what does that make wii and 360's state of sw then ... ? down right pathetic? this guy has high standards obviously ..

So does anyone here have the approximate worldwide LTD sales of the Wii, PS3 and 360?

Just curious more than anything else as I've been out of the loop for ages now.

Thanks.

ForzaItalia said:
So does anyone here have the approximate worldwide LTD sales of the Wii, PS3 and 360?

Thanks.
Wii: A lot wow!
360: Kind of a lot
PS3: lol

Jammy

Banned
ForzaItalia said:

Thanks.

I'd hate to quote ******** numbers, but their "guess" is as good as most of ours. There's always old PR, but those are a few months old.

I'd say...

Wii: 44 million
360: 25 million
PS3: 18 million

sticksave

Neo Member
ForzaItalia said:

Thanks.

Based on the financial reports from the end of the 3rd quarter it was
Wii - 34.55 million
Xbox 360 - 22.5 million
PS3 - 16.84 million

Figuring the Wii has sold 4-5 million since the end of September, X360 3 million ish and the PS3 1.5-2 million I'd say

Wii - 40 million
360 26 million
PS3 - 19 million

sticksave said:
Figuring the Wii has sold 4-5 million since the end of September, X360 3 million ish and the PS3 1.5-2 million I'd say
Those sound more like the numbers they'd have sold in the US since September than worldwide.

w3stfa11 said:
Then don't.

As of the most recent quarterly report in September, worldwide sales are:
Wii - 34.55 million
Xbox 360 - 22.5 million
PlayStation 3 - 16.84 million

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Seventh_generation_of_video_games

Just wait one more month for the next quarterly report and we'll have updated numbers.
These are shipped (to retailers) numbers though, I think the guy was asking for sold through (to customers). It also paints a different picture because I'd wager Wii has less inventory on the shelfs.

US + Japan is available, but Europe and the rest of the world involves a lot of guesswork.

US (thanks Cap. Smoker):
Wii: 15,391,000
360: 12,449,000
PS3: 6,062,000

Japan (thanks JJS):
Wii: 7,212,966
PS3: 2,537,348
360: 732,947

US+Japan:
Wii: 22,603,966
360: 13,181,947
PS3: 8,599,348

Wii is ahead considerably in Europe as well and 360 leads by around 1 million in Europe in comparison to PS3 so the ranks wouldn't switch when including Europe.

Cap. Smoker did some great stuff in this thread. But it only includes 2007 and 2008 numbers for specific countries. 2007: UK, Germany, France (three biggest VG markets in Europe). 2008: Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Spain, UK. You can use these to guesstimate the rest or something.
Varying parts of Europe (as outlined above) 2007+2008:
Wii: 5,931,500
360: 1,908,500
PS3: 2,596,625

Complete numbers would have to be considerably higher and would also have to reflect 360's lead on PS3. But the numbers can help with the ratio between Wii and PS3+360. We can assume that 360 is 6m in Europe thanks to this article (could be shipped though as it's coming from MS itself). PS3 is 1m behind, so 5m. Doubling the 360 number would bring Wii to 12m. Something like this:
Wii: 34,500,000
360: 19,000,000
PS3: 13,500,000

But I guess others have more data to guesstimate better. Wii is nearing PS3+360 or has already overtaken it though (thanks in part to the insane performance in this NPD period).

w3stfa11

Phife Dawg said:
These are shipped (to retailers) numbers though, I think the guy was asking for sold through (to customers). It also paints a different picture because I'd wager Wii has less inventory on the shelfs.

Complete numbers would have to be considerably higher and would also have to reflect 360's lead on PS3. But the numbers can help with the ratio between Wii and PS3+360. We can assume that 360 is 6m in Europe thanks to this article (could be shipped though as it's coming from MS itself). PS3 is 1m behind, so 5m. Doubling the 360 number would bring Wii to 12m. Something like this:
Wii: 34,500,000
360: 19,000,000
PS3: 13,500,000

But I guess others have more data to guesstimate better. Wii is nearing PS3+360 or has already overtaken it though (thanks in part to the insane performance in this NPD period).

Heh, I'll just take the simpler sold to retailers data. ;)

Just a small update, X360 is at 7m in Europe (probably shipped) which would put PS3 at roughly 6m. Also, thanks for the Captain Smoker link.

edit: Why are the links getting 'asterisks'?

Top Bottom