• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

Fredescu

fresquito said:
Nintendo sells software to drive hardware. They knew they wouldn't need any big title for this holiday season to drive hardware. Any big title wouldn't have made the Wii to sell beyond what it's selling right now. They knew this and they knew they would better wait and work on their games and release them at a later time, to create new momentum.
I'm fairly sure Nintendo sells software to make money. If they had a high profile gamer game out for the holiday season it would likely not have cannibalised anything else - it would have just made them more money. I doubt they're holding back games until hardware sales die down, but if they are they're as silly as the third parties who say that it's harder to sell games on the Wii because they have to compete against Nintendo. It's the same argument.

There's no doubt that third parties have missed a huge opportunity, but Nintendo could have made more money too and through poor planning they didn't.

Leezard said:
What? Not one of the consoles is above the 40 mark. Unless you are talking about all the consoles combined, and in that case 100+ million user bases are completely normal.
That chart doesn't measure LTDs, it's annual sales for each console (i.e. in 2011 PS3 will sell 40 million consoles).

Fredescu

Aaron Strife said:
That chart doesn't measure LTDs, it's annual sales for each console (i.e. in 2011 PS3 will sell 40 million consoles).
I'm pretty sure it isn't. That was a chart made when iSuppli made the crazy prediction that the PS3 would be ahead of the Wii by 2012 or whatever it was. It's that same prediction that was the origin of the crazychartguy.jpg.

jvm said:
Alright, guys, NPD article finished for Gamasutra. Nothing blockbuster, perhaps, but there was just so much to discuss. And I did get y'all LBP, so that's something.

As for the article...a couple of interesting LTDs, perhaps. Also a stray comment on titles in the platform top 10s. (Did those get released yet? I may do something with them later this week, we'll see.)

I'll pop a thread up on Monday when the article gets posted. Meanwhile, I'll have time tomorrow to ACTUALLY PLAY A GAME. Can't wait... :D

Edit: I didn't put it into my article, but if we assume $500M of software revenue was Nintendo Wii (I believe this to be fairly close) and ASP for Wii software to be $45-$50, then that gives ... 10 to 11 million units of software for the Wii? Does that seem about right to y'all?

Also, looks like Xbox 360 sold around 6 million units. I don't recall the exact figure. The disparity between the Xbox 360 and the figure I estimated for the Wii seemed extreme ... but then look at the hardware figures. Oy.
I look forward to your monthly analysis every NPD. KEEP IT UP!!! :D

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Question is - can SE be happy with those Last Remnant sales ? There "RPG for the world" ..........

fresquito

Fredescu said:
I'm fairly sure Nintendo sells software to make money. If they had a high profile gamer game out for the holiday season it would likely not have cannibalised anything else - it would have just made them more money. I doubt they're holding back games until hardware sales die down, but if they are they're as silly as the third parties who say that it's harder to sell games on the Wii because they have to compete against Nintendo. It's the same argument.

There's no doubt that third parties have missed a huge opportunity, but Nintendo could have made more money too and through poor planning they didn't.
Nintendo games, specially core games, do well regardless of the time frame when they're released. This has been proven by Mario Kart or Brawl. Nintendo knows one thing better than others: it's their work to lose momentum.

The momentum at the end of this year was a given, but it's not for the upcoming year. If you look carefully, Nintendo is moving itself towards a state where its games sell well regardless of the time frame when they're released or the novelty. This has been the first year in my whole life that I've seen a game of last year advertised this year on TV, like it was a novelty.

Obviously Nintendo didn't have any big gun ready for the end of this year. But it's obvious too that this is because it doesn't have the need to rush things to the market. Too bad there seems to be bad comunication between Nintendo and third parties, as they weren't ready to fill the gap. I don't know because they didn't know of the gap, of because they're dumb.

Fredescu said:
I'm pretty sure it isn't. That was a chart made when iSuppli made the crazy prediction that the PS3 would be ahead of the Wii by 2012 or whatever it was. It's that same prediction that was the origin of the crazychartguy.jpg.
See though, it's the only logical explanation, unless that person genuinely believes that the install bases for both the 360 AND Wii will actually decrease over time.

Leezard

Aaron Strife said:
See though, it's the only logical explanation, unless that person genuinely believes that the install bases for both the 360 AND Wii will actually decrease over time.
How is it logical for all three consoles to sell 35-40 million units year 5?
I think he meant mass returns, as botticus said.

Aaron Strife said:

The author just left out the word "active". It's a chart of Active Install Base.

Let this now become the new argument in Sales-Age threads: my console's active install base is larger than yours. After all, all those Wiis are collecting dust, right?

;-p

Fredescu

Aaron Strife said:
No one ever said there was anything logical about that particular prediction :p

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Aaron Strife said:

Isn't install base different from LTD sales? If I buy two 360s, for example, I contribute 2 to sales but only 1 to install base. If I throw away a console, that fact doesn't change sales, but does change the install base. Not that I want to lend any credibility to that ridiculous chart, but perhaps the creator assumed that the 360 and Wii would be replaced by successor consoles at that point, and that many people would throw away or (more likely) sell back their consoles.

Haunted

cw_sasuke said:
Question is - can SE be happy with those Last Remnant sales ? There "RPG for the world" ..........
There are still two platforms left for the game to be released on.

Those will probably sell even worse, but still! :p

Metaphoreus said:
Isn't install base different from LTD sales? If I buy two 360s, for example, I contribute 2 to sales but only 1 to install base. If I throw away a console, that fact doesn't change sales, but does change the install base. Not that I want to lend any credibility to that ridiculous chart, but perhaps the creator assumed that the 360 and Wii would be replaced by successor consoles at that point, and that many people would throw away or (more likely) sell back their consoles.
Bah.

Either way we're looking at 50 million Wiis by the end of FY2008 so he's wrong anyway.

Brakara

Metaphoreus said:

But how do you track that?

Metaphoreus

Brakara said:
But how do you track that?

I don't know of any way to track it. The truth is, the chart in question is absurd in every conceivable way, and the question of how to track install base as opposed to LTD is simply one of them. If you can't accurately track install base, what's the point in predicting it? If the guy that made the chart meant LTD sales instead of install base, then it's even more ridiculous, as LTD sales CAN'T decrease.

Well, you may be able to estimate the "active" install base by looking at software sales, but there's really no point in doing that, since the only reason "active" install base would be significant is as a proxy for software sales. That is, if you want to know how many people are buying games on a console, "active" install base would be one way of estimating it. But why estimate install base using software sales if you can just use software sales to begin with?

Fredescu

fresquito said:
Nintendo games, specially core games, do well regardless of the time frame when they're released. This has been proven by Mario Kart or Brawl. Nintendo knows one thing better than others: it's their work to lose momentum.

The momentum at the end of this year was a given, but it's not for the upcoming year. If you look carefully, Nintendo is moving itself towards a state where its games sell well regardless of the time frame when they're released or the novelty.
Sure, but even Nintendo aren't immune to the fact that people spend more money at this time of year.

onipex

DavidDayton said:
Hmm.

Video games were first playable by the public in 1972, with the Magnavox Odyssey. Home computers weren't really around until a few years later... I mean, the Altair 8800 wasn't available until 1975, and that's the earliest example of a home/personal computer I can think of.

Video games were, essentially, first playable on "video game consoles" -- not computers. Aside from university settings (and even in those cases, it was very, very rare, outside of a select field of study), "video games" didn't exist until the release of the (failed) Odyssey and the arcade release of Pong (after the failed Computer Space).

Now wait what I remember reading and then saw in a video was that video games were first played on those huge computers that used tape and tubes. I guess that can't really count as a video game, so i guess the space game made on the mainframe computer by Steve Russ ( not sure about the last name) counts. That was in 1961. Are you sure that the Odyssey was playable to the public before the first arcade game was?

I guess the public did play games on a home console before they were played on a pc though.

I was really talking about the post crash period though.

I thought that most gamers played on computers when the NES was released . The computer game market was still alive when the home console market crashed right?

swerve said:
Yeah, why would they make a game for a new platform before that platform is ready to be sold? They should only start making games when the hardware is already popular and sold to millions!

Wait, what?

Oh yeah, maybe they plan things and work towards those plans in advance of them being executable!

Nintendo will have many games behind the scenes which will never get released because the hardware they use is never going to get released. That's the nature of R&D.

Am I reading this wrong or are you saying that Nintendo had games that can use motion+ before they told the world about motion+? I agree with that because Nintendo usually creates the software along side their hardware.

I never said they would only start making games for it once it was popular. I was just agreeing that games may have been delayed because of it. That was something you seemed to disagree with.

Delaying products to improve them is also the nature of R&D.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
cw_sasuke said:
What are you talking about, did we even get the sales numbers?

MotherFan

Does anyone know how the ToS2: DOTNW sold? I am interested to see this. If it sells well (ie more than ToV), I hope it makes more companies develop rpgs for the wii. This plus DQ X would be a good way to convince them.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
sprocket said:
yes I did. Which is why I am a programmer. :D
Even though I figure you were sarcastic, it's mentality like this that makes me fear for computer engineering future (I get to see plenty of candidates that subscribe to the notion that math is unnecessary for their work).

jvm

Gamasutra.
With the advent of networked consoles, the hardware manufacturers will be able to track how much of their hardware is being fired up regularly. Again, not trying to lend credence to that graph, but there might be a measure of actual active base.

Gaborn

jvm said:
With the advent of networked consoles, the hardware manufacturers will be able to track how much of their hardware is being fired up regularly. Again, not trying to lend credence to that graph, but there might be a measure of actual active base.

But wouldn't that only apply to consoles that get on the internet? if it's not hooked up to anything does it matter that it has the capability to do so? It would give a much clearer idea of the userbase for network based games though

jvm

Gamasutra.
Gaborn said:
But wouldn't that only apply to consoles that get on the internet? if it's not hooked up to anything does it matter that it has the capability to do so? It would give a much clearer idea of the userbase for network based games though
I think we're nearing the point that most consoles will be attached to the network even if they don't play online. For example, Sony can look at how many users are grabbing firmware updates.

Metaphoreus

AniHawk said:
Well the answer is several days old, and these were shamelessly stolen from somewhere else, but here's LTDs for November 2003:

PS2: 20.0 M
GBA: 17.1 M
Xbox: 6.6 M
GCN: 5.6 M

So the PS3 is smack-dab in the middle of the GC and Xbox. The real scary thing about the Wii is that it's less than 5m behind what the PS2 was 13 months ahead of it.

I actually tried to figure out how this generation's consoles would look if they were arranged in such a way that Wii launched a year before the PS3 and 360, ASSUMING that the respective sales remained unchanged. A lot of people say that this generation doesn't have a forerunner of the same magnitude of the PS2, but I proposed that the reason that statement seems true is because of the order in which the consoles launched. That is why I suggested we look at how the generation would be shaping up assuming that the current lead console (the Wii) launched at the same time relative to the PS3 and 360 as the PS2 did to the GCN and Xbox.

To give a modified version of the updated results we might see from that:

PS3 @ 2 years (Nov. 06 - Nov. 08): ~6.1 million
360 @ 2 years (Nov. 05 - Nov. 07): ~7.9 million
Wii @ 2 years (Nov. 06 - Nov. 08): ~15.4 million

Of course, I said this was "modified" because the numbers you gave were for a 3-year old PS2, and as you noted, the Wii has only been out for 2 years so far. If we assume that the Wii sells as much next year as this year, then the number of Wiis sold through November 2009--which would make this comparison comparable to your own--would be ~23.4 million. It's obvious that 360+PS3 is doing better than GCN+Xbox (due almost exclusively to the 360), but the Wii is also doing better than the PS2.

Given this counterfactual analysis, I think it's pretty clear that how the generation seems to be going has a lot to do with who launched first, since this generation is playing out only slightly different from the last generation in terms of the market leader and the second- and third-place consoles IF we assume that the market leader launched one year before the competition launched roughly simultaneously.

(To close, I'd like to reiterate a point I made the first time I posted this: I realize that assuming the sales would be the same if we moved around the launch dates is a significant one to make. One or another console may have done substantially better or worse relative to the others--and to its actual sales--if it had launched at a different point relative to the others--and its actual release date.)

Dragmire

I probably missed people talking about this, but how is Wii Music selling anecdotally (from people that work in retail)? I just got it for my birthday and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It probably got a slow start just because it's catered to the casual market but I'd like to see it do well.

Cipherr

Fredescu said:
Sure, but even Nintendo aren't immune to the fact that people spend more money at this time of year.

Sure they arent immune, but looking at the listings, Id say they did just fine. I understand that you are saying "but they could have done better" but lets just forget about that in a month where they shattered the record k? Just sayin.

jvm said:
I think we're nearing the point that most consoles will be attached to the network even if they don't play online. For example, Sony can look at how many users are grabbing firmware updates.

I dont think we are close to "nearing" that. We are moving in that direction but damn sure not "nearing" it anytime soon. We would have to be talking 80%+ consoles all hooked up to working internet connections for us to be able to reliably graph active use like that.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So this means then that Chrono Trigger didnt set the world on fire eh?
Did it even appear on DS top 10?

Dissapointing! C'mon people, with purchase attitudes like that we'll never get CT3!!

civilstrife said:
Isn't this about the time that everyone is supposed to realize how dated their wii games look when compared to PS3/360 games and instantly regret their purchase?
Heh. As was said long ago, the gap won't get larger than it was with Wii Sports vs Gears of War. Though Wii Music vs Gears of War 2 certain gives it a run for its money! :D

cw_sasuke said:
Hmm. For that matter, what do their non-FF RPGs usually do in the US?

Metaphoreus said:
I actually tried to figure out how this generation's consoles would look if they were arranged in such a way that Wii launched a year before the PS3 and 360, ASSUMING that the respective sales remained unchanged. A lot of people say that this generation doesn't have a forerunner of the same magnitude of the PS2, but I proposed that the reason that statement seems true is because of the order in which the consoles launched. That is why I suggested we look at how the generation would be shaping up assuming that the current lead console (the Wii) launched at the same time relative to the PS3 and 360 as the PS2 did to the GCN and Xbox.
Without getting into guesswork about what next year(s) holds for PS3/Wii, here in image form I've stuck the Wii launch in October 2000 and X360/PS3 launches in November 2001.
20081215usadjusted.png

You're right, launch order can matter a lot in how market share plays out. This is something one can also easily notice in Japan. Wii performs similarly to PS2 and PS3 performs similarly to GCN, but when looking at market share numbers PS3 always appears in a better place than GCN did because it didn't give the competition an 18-month head start.

EDIT: I found someone else amazed.
49461fedcbe08.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
monkspider said:
Does anyone think SE expected it to sell more than 200k?
Pretty much. It was released on November 20 and I don't think their first month sales expectations were too high.

John Harker said:
So this means then that Chrono Trigger didnt set the world on fire eh?
Did it even appear on DS top 10?

Dissapointing! C'mon people, with purchase attitudes like that we'll never get CT3!!

Yeah why should Square-Enix release the game on the Virtual Console like everyone else? Let's pay full retail price plus $10 tax!

markatisu

This was in the article jvm wrote for Gamasutra about Rock Band 2

The other key music title currently out, Rock Band 2, did not make the all-format top 20 nor did it make the Xbox 360 top 10 for the month. It was, however, the 10th best-selling game on the PlayStation 3 in November (behind the PS3 version of Guitar Hero: World Tour, which was 5th).

The 360 I could possibly understand given that it has a bunch of high selling games, but the dead last in the PS3 Top 10 must mean what under 100K

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros. have been selling a shitload every month for years now. NSMB is actually on its way to outselling SMB3. It's about 2-3m away now.

Actually, I'm interested in LTD of all Nintendo DS games in the USA. Sorry to bother you, but vg-chart-z-shit is unreliable.

Opiate said:
Just for the record, I can come up with a much better hypothesis than "Nintendo is magical" that also is much more logically robust.

I think virtually all game publishers approach game design in a slightly different way from Nintendo. I think companies like EA and Ubisoft approach a game and ask, "What demographic does this appeal to?" And then work their hardest to make it appeal even more to them. If it's a shooter, it's going to appeal to males age 16-35. Therefore, add more profanity and violence, add somber tones and grizzled men. If the game has animals in it, put as much pink on the cover as you can, and make the game as cute as possible. This makes the game appeal more to 16-35 year old males (or 6-14 year old girls, respecitvely), but also tends to make other demographics even less inclined to purchase that software. That's the approach though, and in the past its worked: pick a demographic, and nail it as hard as you possibly can.

By comparison, Nintendo seem to approach all demographics -- boys, girls, men, women, and the elderly -- with a single game. I think this does have a weakness: these types of games tend to appeal less strongly to any single demographic than a game that was targeted exclusively to them would, but overall tends to sell more. Put more simply, a Nintendo game may grab 1/3 of each demographic, but appeal to all demographics in the process, while an EA game may appeal to 4/5 of a single demographic, but have virtually no appeal outside of that.

This may seem like a fairly minor distinction, but it dramatically changes how games sell on a Nintendo system. I think the Wii is built on the backs of a wide variety of consumers: boys, girls, men, women, and the elderly. All of them. Hardcore gamers and casual ones, old school gamers who like the VC and new wave ones, too.

In that particular environment, companies like Nintendo do well, because that particular hardware has a wide variety of consumers. Games that target a single demographic -- whether that demographic be exclusively 16-35 year old males like Call of Duty or exclusively 6-14 year old girls like Dogz -- will do less well, although the user base is big enough now that they can do well enough if executed properly.

That is why they struggle. That's my theory, at least. This is something they can alter, but it's very challenging. Changing your entire philosophy of game design is a very difficult thing to do, even if it may not sound like it.

Actually, what you say is quite probable. Nice addition.

kame-sennin said:
Let me get this out of the way right off the bat, this belief started because Nintendo has synergy between its hardware and software development. They're the only publishers that really do this well. Their hardware engineers and software developers work in the same building; they can talk to each other and look over each others shoulders to make sure their respective work is complimentary. A perfect example of this is Wii sports. No third party game that I can think of uses motion controls as well. Why? Because the software designers are intimately familiar with the hardware and its limitations in a way that no third party developers are. So they can push the tech as far as possible while avoiding its weaknesses even on launch software.

With all that said. Your main point is still correct. Nintendo is not magic. Even though third parties don't have the level of familiarity with the hardware that Nintendo does, small teams were able to make well controlled games like RE4 and MOH:H2. Moreover, many third parties have succeeded on Nintendo's platform in a way they haven't on Sony or Mircrosoft's. We all know publishers/developers like Sega, THQ, and Suda would not be doing as well on HD consoles as they have on Wii. But I'm surprised people haven't talked as much about the success of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. There is only one SKU for GH and RB respectively in the top 15, and both of them are for Wii**. The gimped RB Wii is even outselling the PS3 and 360 SKUs of Rock Band 2! Nintendo has completely stolen the market for rhythm/rock games from the other two hardware manufacturers, even though they were late to the market and those games had an established base on other platforms. How can anybody look at that data and argue that a popular, well-advertised, (sometimes) polished franchise, targeted at the Wii user base will not sell?

There are other reasons that third parties don't want to compete on Nintendo platforms, but they are not the kinds of things they want to discuss in front of shareholders. The reality is that the Wii and DS are disruptive to the standard software development methods of most third parties. The Wii and DS are attempting (and succeeding) to change how consumers perceive value in software. The traditional model says that increasing the visual fidelity and feature checklist for major franchises annually will net strong sales. Instead, Nintendo is pushing player/software interaction and social interaction while downplaying the importance of visual fidelity. They're also moving towards a long-tail or "evergreen" sales pattern. Most large publishers have large, incredibly layered, inflexible development structures. When you take that into consideration, a massive shift in software development philosophy must be terrifying. What's worse is that this new philosophy is relatively untested and the market being targeted is ill-defined and under researched. These publishers are often too large to take advantage of the new market. It's unlikely a developer like EA or Ubisoft would be able to turn out a product like Wii Fit or Wii Sports without MASSIVE restructuring and most likely a change of CEO (see: Yamauchi->Iwata). Do you think John Riccitiello wants to talk about that in a conference call?

**Edit: Correction, there are two GH SKUs in the top 15, with GHWT 360 coming in at #15.

Nice add to the discussion.

Metaphoreus

JoshuaJSlone said:
Without getting into guesswork about what next year(s) holds for PS3/Wii, here in image form I've stuck the Wii launch in October 2000 and X360/PS3 launches in November 2001.

Specifically in reference to my comparison with Anihawk's information, only the 2-year LTD sales of the PS3 are relevant, so how well it does next year isn't really important. Of course, as the generation plays out, there's not really any reason to expect it to follow the pattern of the last generation.

JoshuaJSlone said:
You're right, launch order can matter a lot in how market share plays out. This is something one can also easily notice in Japan. Wii performs similarly to PS2 and PS3 performs similarly to GCN, but when looking at market share numbers PS3 always appears in a better place than GCN did because it didn't give the competition an 18-month head start.

Absolutely. I think that it's almost always best for a console manufacturer to launch first--I only say "almost" because this didn't help the Dreamcast much. In terms of this generation, I definitely think it would have been better for Nintendo to have launched first, because as it was, third party developers had already moved on to developing for next-gen consoles, and had been doing so for a year. If Nintendo had launched first, and if its first-year sales remained unchanged, third parties may have postponed transitioning their developers to the new tech, which would have immeasurably helped Nintendo and harmed Microsoft and Sony (in terms of third-party support, naturally).

According to this analysis, it may, in fact, make sense for Nintendo to launch Wii HD before the successors to 360 and PS3 are released; if Wii HD is equal in power to the PS3 and 360, and PS4 and Xbox 3 are expected to represent yet another great leap in power, then Nintendo would be doing precisely the thing they didn't do this generation--keeping developers working with current tech at the expense of more advanced systems. While it could cut short the life of--and therefore profits derived from--the Wii, it may increase third-party support of the Wii HD. (On the other hand, it also clearly makes sense for the second- and third-place consoles to launch first, as the 360 and its relative marketshare show.)

Opiate

After seeing those iSuppli charts listed again in mockery, I went to their website to reread their analysis.

As far as I can tell, it's simply gone. Vanished. No longer on their website. Am I missing it, or can someone else find it there? Their website is www.isuppli.com.

Opiate said:
After seeing those iSuppli charts listed again in mockery, I went to their website to reread their analysis.

As far as I can tell, it's simply gone. Vanished. No longer on their website. Am I missing it, or can someone else find it there? Their website is www.isuppli.com.
That site seems like a pain in the ass to find anything on. Using Google with site:isuppli.com worked much better. Here's one of the relevant results. Except that at least right now that's just giving me a blank page, so here's Google's cached version.

donny2112

jvm said:
Edit: I didn't put it into my article, but if we assume $500M of software revenue was Nintendo Wii (I believe this to be fairly close) and ASP for Wii software to be $45-$50, then that gives ... 10 to 11 million units of software for the Wii? Does that seem about right to y'all?

That's December numbers for non-PS2 consoles. Is it possible for the Wii to sell that much in November? Yes. Is is safe to put that forward as the likelihood for November? You better be very sure of that $500 million number. ;)

I didn't think I was going to finish reading this thread this time around but I finally caught up. Has only about 100 more posts than last month's but not as entertaining. I'd say people were overall more logical this time around as I had far fewer "WTH" reactions than last month. I guess the shock of Wiis sold was too much for some. Always a pleasure and fun to read the NPD threads. :D

Talamius

Fredescu said:
EA on Wii redeemed!

Judging from the demand I've seen for it ancedotally, I think it could make a surprise appearance in December in the top 20. Not quite ready to call it a top 10 game yet.

Rlan

Club Penguin: Eleite Penguin Force

The point and click adventure genre lives on! John Davidson will be somewhat proud.

Interesting note: Guitar Hero: On Tour is on the top 10 DS games, but NOT Guitar Hero: On Tour Decades, the one released in that month.

What happened there?

Ah I see, NnS is also bundled.

Maybe 3rd Parties should bundle their games more often with some peripherals, if we look at Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Link's Crossbow Training and this game had the biggest opening month of all EA - Wii games. :lol

Top Bottom