• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
What happens in October NPD will probably be more interesting than September NPD. Who cares how much a new price/model does in its first month. It's the months after that which are important.

Woo-Fu

Banned
professor_t said:
Four brutal, agonizing years of posting Killzone gifs and fucking up Forza threads. Yeah, some people have reason to be excited.
Sounds familiar, only I remember three brutal, agonizing years of Kutaragi gifs and fucked up GT5 threads. Yeah, some people have reason to be depressed.

As always, YMMV.

I'd predict September is:

PS3>360>Wii

360 does have Halo + big ad campaign. Regardless of what people say, it will help sell consoles.

After that, though, I could see Wii and PS3 on top of 360 for the entire holiday unless Microsoft steps up with a
real
pricedrop of their own.

PS3 never will get the 360 in US in this generation (in total sold units, no matter the price or the future exclusives). But it will surpass 360 in Europe, and in Japan will increase a lot the gap.

So probably PS3 will surpass 360 worldwide. Depends of Natal.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, EA may be prematurely quit on the PS2 with no Rock Band Beatles and no NHL 10. Seems like money left on the table.

And yet theyre supposedly releasing the RB metal track pack on PS2...

I understand that the PS2 is old...but numbers talk, and the PS2 is still doing big numbers, both in hardware and software. And considering that Wii games are so similar to PS2 games....why not keep porting. Its the 3rd year in a row theyve screwed up the idea (RB1, RB2, RB Beatles)

If I remember correctly, Xbox and GC were both doing sub 100k in 2003...

Then again, whats the last big EA title on the DS?

Anyone else believe the Halo train might finally be slowing?? At least from what I have seen, the hype train isn't to big for ODST, or have i been shunning it?

-x.Red.x-

damn only a difference of 5k ps3 vs 360...

BTW whats the story with reggie in this gif
I always see him shrug but why?

308a2i9.gif

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Anyone else believe the Halo train might finally be slowing?? At least from what I have seen, the hype train isn't to big for ODST, or have i been shunning it?

You can dig up some of the old threads that have actual marketing research about consumer awareness for upcoming titles, and odst is like off the charts compared to other games.

billy.sea

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
I'd predict September is:

PS3>360>Wii

360 does have Halo + big ad campaign. Regardless of what people say, it will help sell consoles.

After that, though, I could see Wii and PS3 on top of 360 for the entire holiday unless Microsoft steps up with a
real
pricedrop of their own.

I think the console-selling-effect of Halo ODST will be no different than Wii Sports Resort.
Existing console owners will buy it, but it won't capture new audience into buying the system.
If they are excited for a spinoff called ODST, they would have bought it already when the true sequel called Halo 3 hit. I can't see many people who doesn't own a 360 already will get excited and buy a 360 because of ODST.

Patriotsbball5460 said:
It dosn't have master chief or a 4 in the title. So no surprise if it sells less than what a main halo title would.

billy.sea said:
I think the console-selling-effect of Halo ODST will be no different than Wii Sports Resort.
Existing console owners will buy it, but it won't capture new audience into buying the system.
If they are excited for a spinoff called ODST, they would have bought it already when the true sequel called Halo 3 hit.

The point people are making with ODST is that MS is blitzing with massive advertising campaigns, live action movie style commercials and web videos, doritos tie ins, talk shows, etc, and all the rest. Haven't seen anything of the sort for WSR other than a few standard tv commercials.

Tiktaalik

Kilrogg said:
I don't think we'll see a Wii Play resurgence in the top 10 chart because there will be many front-loaded blockbuster titles (there always is around that time), along with the usual suspects. I'm sure it'll sell well, but the top 10 will likely be too crowded. Not that it matters, mind you.

I too believe that NSMB Wii –rather than WSR– will be the one to watch, because it doesn't fall in the traditional sequel pattern (the last 2D Mario on a home console came out more than a decade ago, so Nintendo is right to call it "new"), and it's freaking 2D Mario. It doesn't get much more appealing than that. I can see WSR being the Wii's Super Mario Bros. 3: utterly destroying the original in the hearts of the fans and selling huge numbers, but without creating new value that would reach out to people who don't already have the system. It's obvious that the sequel to Wii Sports will drive sales a little, but the impact won't be huge, if you ask me.

[EDIT] @elrechazao: I don't think that was your point, but you unintentionally reminded of WSR's primary purpose: to sell the MotionPlus. However, Iwata was talking about Wii sales, not accessory sales. He's saying that a title like WSR could drive sales of the system, but only after 6 to 8 weeks on the market.

I think NSMB Wii has the potential to be a big cross over hit. Because of the simplicity of the controls, I could imagine it playing very well at the kiosk level, as I'd imagine it to be very pick up and play. As well, since it's a new 2D Mario, there's a good chance that the title will recieve some articles and recognition beyond the gaming press and in the general press. Rockband Beatles for example gained lots of attention in major news papers because it has such broad appeal. A new 2D Mario could achieve the same thing.

Then again I thought that Punch Out would achieve some sort of lasting, crossover expanded audience success, and I don't think it did (~100k for 3 months but it seems like there's been a steady drop off). In some ways I don't know what to think because my reasoning for why Punch Out might be a success was largely the same as why I think NSMB Wii could be a success. Pick up play controls, looks impressive at the kiosk and familiarity (in Punch Out's case, familiarity with the sport, not the original NES title).

The sales of Wii Sports Resort and EA Sports Active obviously proved that every one that thought that the Wii was some sort of new age board game, left in the back of a closet, was wrong, and yet many attempts to grow the sorts of games that the expanded audience will buy and play have failed. Because of this I ultimately have to accept that I really have absolutely no idea how well NSMB will do :lol

Revelations said:
It dosn't have master chief or a 4 in the title. So no surprise if it sells less than what a main halo title would.

Halo Wars sold a ton, even if it was a console RTS and not an FPS. You bet why?

Yes, it will sell less than a main halo title. Anything without Wii in the title sells less than a main halo title. But expect a lot of millions.

I'm not so sure about hardware, but if Gears 2 gave a hardware bump...

DangerousDave said:
PS3 never will get the 360 in US in this generation (in total sold units, no matter the price or the future exclusives). But it will surpass 360 in Europe, and in Japan will increase a lot the gap.

So probably PS3 will surpass 360 worldwide. Depends of Natal.

Yea.

And by not coming back agressively at Sony with their own pricedrop, it seems they might be betting everything on Natal next year.

Or, they are clearing the channel of 60GB and eventually moving the Elite to that price (like they did with 20-60GB shift).

Johann

speculawyer said:
Yeah, EA may be prematurely quit on the PS2 with no Rock Band Beatles and no NHL 10. Seems like money left on the table.

They are moving towards a standalone/DLC heavy output for future Rock Band games since they just realized that manufacturing and shipping costs a lot of money. I don't know why they didn't ship at least a DLC-less version for PS2 owners and later release DLC compilation disc for the system.

timetokill said:
.. what does this even mean?
Nintendo will get what they deserve for abandoning the true gamers!

See look! They're only outselling the competition by a small chunk as opposed to mopping the floor with it! Clearly the market has shifted in MS and Sony's favor here, especially when the Wii still has a 20+ mil advantage over the 360

Arpharmd B said:
Yea.

And by not coming back agressively at Sony with their own pricedrop, it seems they might be betting everything on Natal next year.

MS has just barely begun to move. They saw the PS3 price cut coming from a mile away since Sony bumped up their yearly projections by 33%. MS still has other stuff they can do like pack in games, free MS points, coupons for $20 off your next game (they did this before), they are waiting to see what Sony does first before shooting their load.

They are playing the waiting game with Nintendo and *if* Sony is able to maintain this momentum in sales then the two other guys will act. The way things are now is not the way they will always be.

Tiktaalik

speculawyer said:

The PS2 situation is crazy because even retail has given up on it. There's an EB Games in my town that has dropped completely their PS2 section, and the Gamestop has switched over their PS2 section to be "spine facing out" organization instead of the usual "front facing out" organization to save space.

The sales still seem good yet publishers and retail have abandoned it.

For a while we were getting PSP/PS2 cross overs like that Silent Hill remake. Those seemed like a good idea, and while we're at it the same thing goes for PS2/Wii releases. I don't see why nearly every Wii game couldn't also be released as a PS2 release. The excellent Little King Story for the Wii doesn't even use Wii pointer or waggle controls. Why on earth wasn't this released on the PS2 as well?

It definitely seems like money left on the table.

Arpharmd B said:
Yea.

Or, they are clearing the channel of 60GB and eventually moving the Elite to that price (like they did with 20-60GB shift).
At this point in the game it really wouldn't matter if PS3 surpasses the 360 anyway. The 360 is in its 5th tenure come 2010. And will see continued support from most if not all publishers worldwide anyhow. So it's really just coasting from now on, soaking in lucrative software sells from this point on. Especially if it continues its leading third party software sales drive.

OldJadedGamer said:
MS has just barely begun to move. They saw the PS3 price cut coming from a mile away since Sony bumped up their yearly projections by 33%. MS still has other stuff they can do like pack in games, free MS points, coupons for $20 off your next game (they did this before), they are waiting to see what Sony does first before shooting their load.

They are playing the waiting game with Nintendo and *if* Sony is able to maintain this momentum in sales then the two other guys will act. The way things are now is not the way they will always be.

I agree. It's hard for me to imagine MS doesn't do something. Last thing they want to do is lose a ton of marketshare in all 3 regions this year. I'm going with my prediction that once the 60 is gone for good the Elite is dropped to 249, maybe arcade at 179. Otherwise Sony is going to hand them their ass and get the WW instal base within striking distance (3 million units).

outunderthestars said:
Did anyone actually expect this game to do well? It had DOA written all over it for months now..

I dunno, firing half the dev team on the day of release usually means a game will be awesome.

Arpharmd B said:
Yea.

They really dudn't need to comeback at em. They still have a $100 lower price point that may ultimately continue to give them lead over the PS3 through the holidays in the US. We'll see how that goes cause if it dosn't it wouldn't matter if they gave a $50 pricedrop on the 360. Results may still vary and is not absolute.

outunderthestars said:
Did anyone actually expect this game to do well? It had DOA written all over it for months now..

It was clearly sent out to die as they didn't have much confidence in it and gave it the minimal marketing. I don't believe Activision owns the franchise either so this was probably the last game under that name for them.

dolemite said:
It's probably the PC version they are talking about.

They very rarely get PC NPD numbers and today is the console NPD numbers so it's a good chance I'm guessing they may actually be including the console versions on this. Although I'm speculating.

CoG

Arpharmd B said:
I agree. It's hard for me to imagine MS doesn't do something. Last thing they want to do is lose a ton of marketshare in all 3 regions this year. I'm going with my prediction that once the 60 is gone for good the Elite is dropped to 249, maybe arcade at 179. Otherwise Sony is going to hand them their ass and get the WW instal base within striking distance (3 million units).

They're fucked up internally right now switching gears to Natal. They figure they already beat Sony and are gunning for Nintendo. All hands on deck at MS are working on the Natal launch.

speculawyer said:
Ouch. Wolf is a big brand and Raven has been a pretty good developer. I wonder what happened? Rushed out the door?

There are some franchises you try and bring back. There are some you don't.

Having said that, there wasn't much if any marketing for this.

There are SOOOOO many great ways you can market a Wolfenstein game.

Arpharmd B said:

The important thing to remember is that Sony is naked right now. They showed all their cards, they have nothing up their sleeve they can pull out. We don't even think of hearing about another price drop for at least over a year.

Nintendo and MS are just sitting back and waiting. Nintendo has yet to have a price drop and no other colors, and as I stated before MS can still put all kinds of junk in the package like games. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other two do this year.

billy.sea said:
My Prediction:
The 360 will be the least selling console this holiday season.
I think Halo ODST and Gay Tony will prevent that.

But things will definitely be more competitive this year. It will be interesting to see what kind of bundle MS creates this xmas. But I think the "friends have an xbox 360" issue is still gonna hurt Sony.

beast786

Arpharmd B said:
Yea.

They did by cutting down price on elite. Plus they do have halo. And i know its ODST but still its freaking HALO.

speculawyer said:
Ouch. Wolf is a big brand and Raven has been a pretty good developer. I wonder what happened? Rushed out the door?

Wasn't the last game released in 2001, and only on PC? How is that a big brand?

Wow! Cant believe the PS3 almost caught the 360 last month. Next months NPD is going to be crazy, PS3 at #1 for sure. So good to see Madden 10 doing well.

Truespeed

Please stop posting the obvious outcome in September. We all know the PS3 will be on top so there's no need to announce it like you're going out on a limb.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
There are some franchises you try and bring back. There are some you don't.

Having said that, there wasn't much if any marketing for this.

There are SOOOOO many great ways you can market a Wolfenstein game.

I don't think Wolfenstein has ever been an especially big brand on consoles outside of the retro appeal of the original games. Return was well received on the PC side of course but I think it's a different situation on the consoles. Not to mention I think WaW has probably completely taken over the audience that may have been interested in such a title.

beast786

OldJadedGamer said:
The important thing to remember is that Sony is naked right now. They showed all their cards, they have nothing up their sleeve they can pull out. We don't even think of hearing about another price drop for at least over a year.

Nintendo and MS are just sitting back and waiting. Nintendo has yet to have a price drop and no other colors, and as I stated before MS can still put all kinds of junk in the package like games. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other two do this year.

Wait. MS also had a price cut. So its not like they were just sitting on there bud. Plus how do we know Sony has shown all its hand. There is a game called Gran Turismo.

Cipherr

Patriotsbball5460 said:
obviously they didnt realize that, when your on the system with the highest install base of the current gen systems, and your being outsold by psp, they really didnt know who their target audience was

Theyve changed their target every single year. Theres never been a chance to establish an "audience".

Top Bottom