• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

FrankT

Arpharmd B said:
I agree. It's hard for me to imagine MS doesn't do something. Last thing they want to do is lose a ton of marketshare in all 3 regions this year. I'm going with my prediction that once the 60 is gone for good the Elite is dropped to 249, maybe arcade at 179. Otherwise Sony is going to hand them their ass and get the WW instal base within striking distance (3 million units).

When the PS3 launched the lead was around 6 million WW and it's closer to 8 million this year. They let the lead get down to 5 to 5.5 million or so last year and they could do the same for awhile, but I doubt they will let them get any closer than that this year or next for that matter.

PS3 ad was just on the NFL Opening Night on NBC, sony is finally getting in gear, at least they do have momentum, something Microsoft is probably hoping Halo will bring back to their side

billy.sea said:
Last month it was all Nintendo and Electronic Arts.
This month it is all Nintendo, Electronic Arts, and SquareEnix.

The next 4 months is what matter as that is where the bulk of the sales come for the year. Especially the last 3 months.

Aaron Strife said:
How much more could Halo 3 and GTA4 do for the system?

How much more could uncharted and ratchet do for the ps3?

Answer to both: quite a bit. Sequels are sequels, and they're generally good business when they're sequels to good games.

elrechazao said:

Answer to both: quite a bit. Sequels are sequels, and they're generally good business when they're sequels to good games.
apt comparison especially since halo odst and gay tony are sequels.

depward said:
Good for a GODDAMN PSP GAME to finally hit the top 10. Imagine how many sales it would have been without the goddamn pirates out there downloading that fantastic game for free.

Piracy would be a lot less if the games were cheaper.

19.99 is the perfect price for a portable game. There's no excuse other than greedyness to sell it at 40 bucks.

Maybe one day they will learn.

elrechazao said:

Ratchet always sells to a solid core fan base, it usually doesnt branch out much farther.

Uncharted, well thats to be seen, we haven't seen an uncharted sequel before, if sony can get it out there, and make people see how great of a game the first was and how great it looks, it could do alot, just today on the PS Blog Peter Dille said that new commercials for Ratchet and Uncharted are coming soon, so...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Tiktaalik said:
I think NSMB Wii has the potential to be a big cross over hit. Because of the simplicity of the controls, I could imagine it playing very well at the kiosk level, as I'd imagine it to be very pick up and play. As well, since it's a new 2D Mario, there's a good chance that the title will recieve some articles and recognition beyond the gaming press and in the general press. Rockband Beatles for example gained lots of attention in major news papers because it has such broad appeal. A new 2D Mario could achieve the same thing.

Then again I thought that Punch Out would achieve some sort of lasting, crossover expanded audience success, and I don't think it did (~100k for 3 months but it seems like there's been a steady drop off). In some ways I don't know what to think because my reasoning for why Punch Out might be a success was largely the same as why I think NSMB Wii could be a success. Pick up play controls, looks impressive at the kiosk and familiarity (in Punch Out's case, familiarity with the sport, not the original NES title).

The sales of Wii Sports Resort and EA Sports Active obviously proved that every one that thought that the Wii was some sort of new age board game, left in the back of a closet, was wrong, and yet many attempts to grow the sorts of games that the expanded audience will buy and play have failed. Because of this I ultimately have to accept that I really have absolutely no idea how well NSMB will do :lol

I never expected Punch-Out!! to sell well, to be honest. In fact, I expected it to bomb, so its sales were pleasantly surprising to me. It's really not in the same league than New Mario. First, it's not a sequel, nor a re-imagining, but an improved remake. Second, it's not made internally, but by Next Level Games. Third, the Wiimote/nunchaku/balance board controls are tacked-on. Fourth, the multiplayer mode, while much fun (I really like it), is bare-bones. Fifth, was Punch-Out!! ever that huge in the first place? The original release on the NES is a cult classic, no question about that, and I'm sure it wasn't a flop by any means, but surely, there's got to be a reason why Nintendo abandoned the franchise altogether for 15 years after only 2 console installments, no? I think the game suffered from its being a treat to longtime fans of the original game.

At least Mario made the jump to 3D, and the old games were remade for the GBA/DS before NSMB eventually came out. And again, it's freaking 2D Mario. Of course it'll sell. The best thing about it is that it's different from the DS episode (new levels, new suits, 4-player adventure). NSMB DS won't cannibalize its sales.

Loudninja

elrechazao said:

I dont think you read his post right.

imtehman

Banned
Danthrax said:
This NPD does not cover Slim's launch. Slim came out Sept. 1, but this NPD ends like Aug. 29 or so.

wait, you think the 72 percent increase MoM had nothing to do with the Slim?

Slap yourself.

Barrett2

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Anyone else believe the Halo train might finally be slowing?? At least from what I have seen, the hype train isn't to big for ODST, or have i been shunning it?

I agree, the brand is so stagnant they only sold a million copies of a mediocre RTS spinoff in the slowest part of the year.

ODST will be massive.

expy

Banned
imtehman said:

Slap yourself.

Slim was available at some locations for about 4-5 days prior to month's end. That's still pretty impressive.

beast786 said:
Wait. MS also had a price cut. So its not like they were just sitting on there bud. Plus how do we know Sony has shown all its hand. There is a game called Gran Turismo.

MS had a price cut? Everywhere I look, the entry price for the 360 is the same it was last year. The arcade is still $199. The entry price for the Wii is the same. The only entry price that has lowered was the PS3.

And I'm talking about showing their hands hardware wise... not software. MS and Nintendo have yet to move.

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Anyone else believe the Halo train might finally be slowing?? At least from what I have seen, the hype train isn't to big for ODST, or have i been shunning it?

While the game probably won't reach Halo 3 Life Time numbers since it isn't being pushed as a true sequel it will still be a massive seller.

2vuixsh.jpg

Frenck

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
apt comparison especially since halo odst and gay tony are sequels.

Both ODST and Stories from Liberty City are stand alone games and both of them will have big marketing campaigns.

It won't make a difference whether they are real sequels or not.

What does sequel mean these days anyway?

Is GRAW 2 a full fledged sequel? What about Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 or R&C Future: A Crack in Time?

More importantly, did anyone care?

FrankT

imtehman said:

Slap yourself.

Aye, as I've mentioned Slims were in store in my area at all the big retailers save Target for the full last week of August. Pretty much the reason I saw the numbers to be higher than both Pachter and Divnich. Further, that week could be higher than the first week of Sept NPD imo.

Edit: Anyone have up to date LTD's?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Arpharmd B said:
Wasn't the last game released in 2001, and only on PC? How is that a big brand?
2003, which saw a Wolfenstein game on the PS2 and Xbox, as well as Enemy Territory on PC.

It's not so much a "big" brand as it is a classic brand.

elrechazao said:

I'm saying that if most people wanted to buy an Xbox 360 for Halo or Grand Theft Auto, they would have done that when Halo 3 and GTAIV came out.

It's not that the games will sell well, it's just that I don't think they'll have much impact on the console sales.

Same logic with Ratchet and Uncharted, by the way.

OldJadedGamer said:
MS had a price cut? Everywhere I look, the entry price for the 360 is the same it was last year. The arcade is still $199. The entry price for the Wii is the same. The only entry price that has lowered was the PS3.

And I'm talking about showing their hands hardware wise... not software. MS and Nintendo have yet to move.

This "oh ms didn't have a price cut" nonsense is pretty tired out by now. What was previously 399 costs 299 now. What was previously 299 is 249. But yeah, neither of those was a price cut.

Frenck said:
Both ODST and Stories from Liberty City are stand alone games and both of them will have big marketing campaigns.

It won't make a difference whether they are real sequels or not.

What does sequel mean these days anyway?

Is GRAW 2 a full fledged sequel? What about Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 or R&C Future: A Crack in Time?

More importantly, did anyone care?

The comparison is still shit.
If Halo ODST was called Halo 4, it'd sell 5 times as well.
If Stories from Liberty City was called GTA 5, same as above. (probably more actually)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Haven't we learnt from previous NPD threads this year that just because something was available for a small amount of time in its launch month, doesn't mean its going to dramatically increase the next month?

But I guess hardware=/=software.

So if ODST sells 2m copies next month, does that mean you would expect Halo 4 to sell 10m? 5 times seems a bit excessive.

matmanx1

At least the numbers are more interesting this month. Good to see some competition among the HD twins for both hardware and software.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at Dissidia. I've honestly seen more people buying it since the start of the month than I did right at the launch. It's anecdotal evidence but it certainly could be one of those PSP games with some rare legs. It certainly deserves to be!

The comparison is still shit.
If Stories from Liberty City was called GTA 5, same as above. (probably more actually)

You're not even making sense now, what does that have to do with what we were talking about?

gimmmick

Should be very interesting when sony's true system sellars enter the market (hopefully) this holiday season.

Can't wait to see gran turismo's number's when it releases. Sony is finally comming to form.

I still can't believe the ps2 is still selling even after 9 years. Mario kart probably has the best legs out of any game released this generation, I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't sold 15 million unites yet.

beast786

OldJadedGamer said:

Like i said, elite went down to 299 which was 100 dollar price cut. As per entry level SKU . I dont think there is much room to go down, infact the price was raised in UK for the entry level arcade level.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/xbox-360-elites-price-cut-arcades-raised

Sales are not depended on entry level price cut only. Especially aracde with its lack of features.

seattle6418 said:
Piracy would be a lot less if the games were cheaper.

19.99 is the perfect price for a portable game. There's no excuse other than greedyness to sell it at 40 bucks.

Maybe one day they will learn.

That is complete bullshit. The games could be $10 a piece and blow you when you when you open the case and people would pirate it if they could. I'm sick of hearing excuses for piracy, when there quite frankly isn't one. Sleazy people are even pirating $.99 iphone apps!

beast786 said:
Like i said, elite went down to 299 which was 100 dollar price cut. As per entry level SKU . I dont think there is much room to go down, infact the price was raised in UK for the entry level arcade level.

Sales are not depended on entry level price cut only. Especially aracde with its lack of features.

There wasn't a xbox 360 price cut, MS just basically changed the color and HDD size of their $300 system.

imtehman

Banned
anyone remember the date of when the x360 went to 199 last year? I'd love to see comparisons between 360's price drop and its affect on sales vs. the ps3s

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
beast786 said:

The only real price cut is the limited time clearance of 60GB Pro models.

I don't think moving the Elite to 299 is really any bigger of a change than the 20GB to 60GB upgrade they had last year. It's pretty much a black pro, with 120GB HDD and no HD cables. Upgraded value, not a price cut (to me anyhow).

gimmmick said:
Mario kart probably has the best legs out of any game released this generation, I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't sold 15 million unites yet.
You wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't sold 15 million?

Does that mean you are, in fact, surprised?

Top Bottom