• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

imtehman

Banned
zero_suit said:
What a laughable prediction..

laughable? HARDLY.

This may very well likely happen, only difference being that the gap won't be that big, but i certainly can see PS3 selling the most out of all the consoles, but not by much

Cipherr

pseudocaesar said:
Sure thing buddy, I'm glad you took interest in my predictions. Heres what I believe will happen.

October. PS3 ---> Wii ---> 360.
November. PS3 ---> Wii ---> 360.
December. PS3 ---> Wii ---> 360.
January. PS3 ---> Wii ---> 360.

I included January as well, just thought you might be interested too :D.

Meh

DMeisterJ

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Sure thing buddy, I'm glad you took interest in my predictions. Heres what I believe will happen.

No...

October: PS3 = Wii > 360
November Wii > PS3 > 360
December: Same as Nov
January : Same as Dec

pseudocaesar said:

howaboutno.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
October: PS3 = Wii > 360
November Wii > PS3 > 360
December: Same as Nov
January : Same as Dec

since we are playing this game i'll throw in my take.

i expect tears next month when the X360 outsells the PS3 by a "slim" margin, with the WIi still out in front.

Then the Wii TGS price drop announcement propels the Wii even further ahead, PS3 fans blame supply as the X360 continues to outsell the slim but both X360 and PS3 sales slump as the Wii picks up even more fence sitters.

imtehman

Banned
WhiteAce said:

i expect tears next month when the X360 outsells the PS3 by a "slim" margin, with the WIi still out in front.

Then the Wii TGS price drop announcement propels the Wii even further ahead, PS3 fans blame supply as the X360 continues to outsell the slim but both X360 and PS3 sales slump as the Wii picks up even more fence sitters.

this could very well likely happen toO!

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
user_nat said:
What happens in October NPD will probably be more interesting than September NPD. Who cares how much a new price/model does in its first month. It's the months after that which are important.
Finally a useful contribution from a junior.

Yes, I know mods frown upon people putting down the juniors. but the latest batch has been a combination of fanboys and "OMG stating the obvious"..

I really think the ps3 will beat out the competition for september.

sept--->PS3--->360--->wii
oct (Wii price cut) Wii--->PS3--->360
Nov wii--->360--->PS3
Dec Wii-->PS3--->360

I think after september the 360 and ps3 will be neck and neck either one not winning by much.

The wii will have a price cut which will boost sales.

IF GT5 is announced for Dec, ps3 is neck and neck with the wii leaving the 360 behind.

In any case its going to be a great holiday season. The HD consoles will battle it out to a pretty even stalemate (NPD anyway).

botticus

Cant0na said:
Did Fossil Fighters outsell Metroid ?

:lol
To me that says more about the surprise that is Fossil Fighters rather than anything negative about MP.

Really impressive software sales in the top 10 aside from relatively mediocre Madden numbers. WSR seems way about the number Nintendo released for the comparable time period, impressive for Batman and another surprise in Dissidia.

I suppose WSR sold a few more Wii units this month, PS3 had a much nicer month than I predicted, I think I forgot about the price drop prior to the Slim.

Has it been a while since a PSP and a DS game debuted in the top 10?

(hopefully I haven't missed any good discussion, browsing 600+ posts is a daunting idea)

jrricky

Banned
Oh God people, the only meltdowns that will happen next month would be PS3 owners if the sales dont surpass Wii and 360.:lol

Cant0na

Banned
WhiteAce said:

this is the most logical.

:lol @ people saying ps3's gonna outsell both the 360 and Wii

ps3's gonna get a boost next month, and then everything goes back to the usual Wii-360-ps3. Wii is gonna have a huge holiday, dont underestimate the brand Nintendo has built up among the mainstream/holiday crowd

markatisu

Cant0na said:
Did Fossil Fighters outsell Metroid ?

:lol

Not sure why the lol, Fossil Fighters got an incredible push at retail. There are stand up displays for it and Layton 2 at Walmarts nation wide. It appeals to the Pokemon and DS audiences

Metroid is essentially a Best-Of compilation of 3 games most core Nintendo fans already own and did not buy in great numbers the first time (Metroid games always sold over time, never big like say Gears of War or Halo)

Dave Long

Banned
Two of my boys bought Fossil Fighters and all the Target stores are sold out near me. It's hot stuff.

The game is cool, too (though the 3D is not so good...) and it definitely has a Pokémon vibe that kids dig. Not surprised to see it up there.

legend166

pseudocaesar said:

Would you be willing to make a bet on this?

How about:

If total PS3 sales for October, November, December and January are higher than the Wii, I'll take a 3 month ban.

If not, you take a 3 month ban.

zero_suit

Andronicus said:
you guys seriously think nintendo cares about MS or Sony Price drop?:lol :lol :lol :lol

Especially when they have made more money in 2 years than either of them have made since they entered the gaming business...

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
CoG said:
They're fucked up internally right now switching gears to Natal. They figure they already beat Sony and are gunning for Nintendo. All hands on deck at MS are working on the Natal launch.
and you know that how?

Brofist

I think the PS3 and Wii will flip flop both ahead of the 360 for the next few months. Next month will definitely be PS3's month though (for consoles obviously). You have to really be blind to see otherwise.

bakemono said:
Some of you are totally crazy with your predictions :lol

Wii is not going to be dethroned that easily.

Some of the fanboys see their first opening in a year so they feel they have to get out all the pent up abuse before reality sets in again.

Brofist

Andronicus said:
you guys seriously think nintendo cares about MS or Sony Price drop?:lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah we get it we get it. Nintendo doesn't care about anything. Pleasing it's fanbase, releasing core games, the competition, etc etc. Just busy counting the money right.

Cant0na

Banned
botticus said:
To me that says more about the surprise that is Fossil Fighters rather than anything negative about MP.

your argument wouldve worked if Fossil Fighters did Madden/Batman numbers.

but if fossil fighters can beat out Metroid with below 100k numbers.........its a negative for metroid (especially for the people who were predicting around 200k for metroid)

jrricky said:
Oh God people, the only meltdowns that will happen next month would be PS3 owners if the sales dont surpass Wii and 360.:lol

The only way the 360 will outsell the PS3 next month is if:

There are massive PS3 shortages this month (not likely)
ODST pulls in the same kind of hardware bump that Halo 3 did (not likely)
A huge amount of the price drop sales for the PS3 took place after the announcement mid month in August (not likely)
MS has a price drop on the entry level arcade and throws in a bunch of games (not likely)

If PS3 *doesn't* outsell the 360 next month, then Sony has a whole host of new problems.

OldJadedGamer said:

A huge amount of the price drop sales for the PS3 took place after the announcement mid month (not likely)
MS has a price drop on the entry level arcade and throws in a bunch of games (not likely)

If PS3 *doesn't* outsell the 360 next month, then Sony has a whole host of new problems.

Agreed. The PS3 is very likely to outsell the 360 in September based on the price drop and the new model. Something would be very wrong if they didn't imo. What is yet to be determined is if this trend will continue in October, November, and December when sales of consoles skyrocket for the year in comparison to the other months. People buy differently in those three months and you have a different type of consumer buying. The price of the arcade unit along with bundling becomes much more valuable for Microsoft and the Wii becomes even more family friendly around that time.

Wii software sales are quite healthy though ... I was not expecting WSR to sell quite that much.

And Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii are still in the top 10.

NSMB Wii + Wii Fit Plus + WSR I think will end up dominating Nov/Dec NPD. I suspect you could see those three games sweep the 1/2/3 software spots for both Nov/Dec.

Nintendo needs to acknowledge they're been hit by the recession in terms of hardware sales though and do something. Price cut or new bundles and hardware will surge again.

Is there any rational person at this point who thinks ps3 won't outsell the 360 this month at the very least? Seems like a lot of arguing against theoretical M$ xbot fanboys who ... well, don't really seem to exist around here at least.

OldJadedGamer said:

A huge amount of the price drop sales for the PS3 took place after the announcement mid month in August (not likely)

There is little to no chance that the 360 beat the ps3 next month. If the ps3 loses next month it will reveal a consumer trend that will, in the end, bring about the ps4 quicker. Like many peeps in here I dont consider the PS3 a failure. However, if they cannot pull off a win next month in NA its completely over.

botticus

Cant0na said:
your argument wouldve worked if Fossil Fighters did Madden/Batman numbers.

but if fossil fighters can beat out Metroid with below 100k numbers.........its a negative for metroid (especially for the people who were predicting around 200k for metroid)
Er, yeah, but I would never have predicted anything near 200k for Metroid. MP3 barely broke 200k, so a rerelease wouldn't go anywhere near there.

mujun

elrechazao said:
This will be good for about 6 pages worth of obnoxious debate. Because there haven't been 30 page threads on this a few times already since before and after the slim.

A question came to mind, I asked it. Should I have sifted through threads and pages of threads trying to find the debate you speak of instead.

Rhetorical question.

WhiteAce said:

I don't expect a price drop to do much for the Wii to be perfectly honest, and I also expect Wii to outsell the 360 and PS3 in Oct, Nov, Dec @ U$250 price point, why would they drop the price if they're still outselling the competition?

VALIS

The PS3 couldn't even outsell the 360 in August when it was slashed by $100 for two of the four weeks and the 360 had nothing major going for it at all. I'd watch those wildly optimistic predictions for the PS3's success the rest of this year.

It will likely hop over the 360 and Wii in September. It should! They slashed 25% off the console's price and released a revamped model all in one shot. It should do 2x 360 and 1.5x Wii next month. If it doesn't, don't look for the PS3 to be ahead of either console the rest of the year.

I think Japan will get a Wii price cut.

But North America and Europe ... no. Perhaps a new bundle or SKU though (WSR + maybe an extra controller or something).

fernoca

Shadow780 said:
DISSIDIA: FINAL FANTASY (PSP; Aug-09) 130,000

Is this a good number?

What were Crisis Core numbers for the first month?
Good actually..
Crisis Core did more than twice though...
NPD March 2008 said:
  1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) - 2.7 million
  2. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Xbox 360) - 752.3K*
  3. Army of Two (Xbox 360) - 606.1K
  4. Wii Play w/ remote (Wii) - 409.8K
  5. God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) - 340.5K
  6. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) - 301.6K
  7. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) - 264.1K
  8. Major League Baseball 2K8 (Xbox 360) - 237.1K
  9. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) - 237K*
  10. Army of Two (PS3) - 224.9K

Top Bottom