• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

Massa

There are folks in this thread who have more up to date total US hardware figures that could probably do a very accurate calculation on SC attach rates.

Why would anyone compare attach rates of platforms with a gap over 7 years? It makes no sense.

Mory Dunz

Wikipedia says 25.4 million 360's in the U.S. as of March 31st, 2011 Source: Financial Times.

Nintendo in their internal reports on 06/30/13 says they have shipped 1.58 million Wii U's in the U.S. region.

Gamasutra says that 13.5 million PS3's have been sold. Date listed is 11/10/10.

Lets assume they're accurate more or less, despite not having updated numbers for 360 and PS3, and the Wii U number is shipped and not sold.

360: 0.00827% attach rate
PS3: 0.00630% attach rate
Wii U: 0.00317% attach rate

I do not admit to any accuracy in these figures. =P

2010 and 2011 might skew it a bit. But yeah, still bad.

Of course there's overlap. There might not be overlap if they were offering different experiences. For instance, if the Wii U offered all racers and shooters and the 3DS offered all platformers and adventure games, it's clear that they'd attract different crowds.

But in reality, Wii U and 3DS are not only offering the same genres, they're offering almost exactly the same experiences. NSMB2/NSMBU. DKC3D/DKCTF. 3DLand/3DWorld.

And anyone who wants those experiences enough to buy hardware for it will look at the cheaper 3DS with better support and more games.

A Sony PR guy did say they could sell the PS3 with no games, but he was proven wrong. Software sells hardware. Always.

I am not disagreeing that games are important, I think if Nintendo had something to prove that the tablet is great and the lack of power is not a concern nor is it an ongoing liability, they would be much better off. If they had a system that third parties had confidence would be sustainable, they would have more games and also be better off. And if Wii U were better off, NSMBU would also be better off, regardless that a similar 3DS game exists. Rising tides.

Zero148

no they would all be worse

I doubt Nintendo sold the shipped 1.58 million WiiUs to costumers. So the WiiU install base should be lower than that, while PS360 install bases a little bit higher. Math teaches us that the WiiU attach rate should be higher then (not by much)

edit: of course not higher than PS360 ones

thefro

Wikipedia says 25.4 million 360's in the U.S. as of March 31st, 2011 Source: Financial Times.

Nintendo in their internal reports on 06/30/13 says they have shipped 1.58 million Wii U's in the U.S. region.

Lets assume they're accurate more or less, despite not having updated numbers for 360 and PS3, and the Wii U number is shipped and not sold.

Yes, 360 hasn't sold any units in the US since early 2011 (they've sold 10 million+ easily) and PS3 hasn't since November 2010 (it's around double that number now). And Nintendo sold all their retail stock magically in July and August.

I added a note on Splinter Cell to the OP:

Note: Splinter Cell is #4, so it's below 294K. Conviction opened at 486.1K on Xbox 360 back in April 2010.

Count me among those who day 1'd Conviction but completely passed on Blacklist. And I liked Conviction. But I find it impossible to be hyped for any current gen games. Except gta5.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
just a pie

vVPK8Zv.png

Mory Dunz

Yes, 360 hasn't sold any units in the US since early 2011 (they've sold 10 million+ easily) and PS3 hasn't since November 2010 (it's around double that number now). And Nintendo sold all their retail stock magically in July and August.
Well, he wasn't claiming accuracy.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I am shocked that Pikmin actually cracked the top 10.

What...what exactly is perplexing you? Do you know what legos are?

There have been tons of world building games released in the past. Also the graphics are pretty much the worst thing ever. Doesn't really seem to fit the traditional tastes of game consumers in the US. The prolonged success is shocking to me.

I've never played it though so I don't know maybe I would think it was the greatest thing ever. I've watched other people play the game and I can't understand what it is about that game that's hooking people so powerfully.

I have nothing against the success of the game (other than I hate the way it looks) it just took me by complete surprise and I still can't understand it yet which bothers me. Plenty of things have surprised me: Gran Turismo, Pokémon, Guitar Hero, Just Dance, Skylanders, but I can usually figure out the appeal of those games (ie. completest quest collecting-addiction or dancing/music/social experiences). The desire to build together seems odd in an industry where most of the fun is derived by violent destruction of things or people. I am surprised by the long term power of Minecraft's appeal and also people's tolerance for the game's visuals. I am 100% an outsider on the game though.

Tripon

Blacklit should have been an exclusive, for whatever platform. I feel like that game was just totally ignored.

No, it shouldn't have been released in August. On the same week as Saint Rows 4, and before Rayman, and GTA.

Its like summer blockbuster movies, the market is too crowded, and a few $200 million movies will crash hard every year.

Splinter Cell is the video game equivalent of John Carter.

A bit harsh, but eh.

Miles X

You only have to ask for up to date figures.

360: 39.41m
Wii: 41.17m
PS3: 24.50m

Estimates to the nearest 50k.

Petrae

Looks like WiiU sales nosed up, at least. Not surprising, given release of Pikmin 3, but still good news for the beleaguered platform.

Lumyst

Gonna try and recreate it in excel.

Psh, get out your protractor and measure the angle of the Xbox 360 slice, then divide the hardware sales of the 360 by the 360's sector angle to get "sales per degree" then use that number to convert the other degrees, after measuring them, to sales of the other hardware by multiplying the degrees by that conversion factor. Duh.

Tripon

Looks like WiiU sales nosed up, at least. Not surprising, given release of Pikmin 3, but still good news for the beleaguered platform.

It'll be really interesting to see Sept. Wii U numbers since I'm assuming the majority of sales will happen in the last ten days when the price drop becomes official and the Zelda bundle is released.

Top Bottom