• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yeah, the timing of the launches really makes intergenerational comps screwy.

For PS4, Xone and Wii U 2015 your comp years are 2007 for the X360, 2008 for the PS3 and 2009 for the Wii.

But not so in 2009... the proper comp year lol.

In 2009, the Wii sold 9.6 million, only 6% less than in 2008. That's a very small drop, especially because 2008 was the Smash and Kart year.

Honestly, i believe PS4+XB1 in 2015 will sell a bit more than the Wii in 2009... but a very, VERY BIT more. And i don't think PS4+XB1 will sell like Wii in 2008.

watdaeff4

I'm starting to doubt if Sony will drop the price this year...

I've been in the camp of "no drop or at most $50" leaning towards "no drop" all summer. It's possible it could still happen, but with they way they are still maintaining sales, it's less likely.

Madness

They had their chance last year with Master Chief Collection and they blew it. Xbox One had win November and December, but MCC was dead in sales within a week once people saw how it barely functioned. And then Xbox just never recovered. It left Halo fans the series in an even worse place with a lot of fans trading in their games and systems. Halo 5 definitely looks to be a step in the right direction but there is definitely hesitation and I don't think they'll win October or November. Strong PS4 advertising in September, with strong advertising for CoD and Star Wars means they'll probably get November too. October even though it's a huge Halo month, how much can they really sell to offset PS4 gains? I mean the bundle is more costly as well because it's the limited edition game I think comes with it, as opposed to standard copy.

OEM

I wonder if EA Access is a big thing on Xbox One. Because ultimate sports fan, will likely want to play the game a week early even for 10hr. And also pay 10$ less. That might explain the NFL physical sale being less on Xbox One.

Madness

Doubt it.

Mad Max
MGS V
Madden 16
FIFA 16
Minecraft
Destiny: Taken King
Forza 6
NHL 16
Skylanders Superchargers
LEGO Dimensions

There is your top 10 in no particular order. And I'm even leaving out NBA which might knock out Mad Max, and leaving out GTA which will knock one of those off, just not sure which one

That's also true. Those 6 days in the chart here probably were more than half the sales right? So with all those new releases the remaining sales for the month probably won't be enough. Maybe top 10 though, if there is a giant push or greater sale?

I wonder if EA Access is a big thing on Xbox One. Because ultimate sports fan, will likely want to play the game a week early even for 10hr. And also pay 10$ less. That might explain the NFL physical sale being less on Xbox One.
There was also the Madden Bundle that subtracted from that software total.

That's also true. Those 6 days in the chart here probably were more than half the sales right? So with all those new releases the remaining sales for the month probably won't be enough. Maybe top 10 though, if there is a giant push or greater sale?
Tough month to compete with September being the sports release month :(

allan-bh

They had their chance last year with Master Chief Collection and they blew it. Xbox One had win November and December, but MCC was dead in sales within a week once people saw how it barely functioned. And then Xbox just never recovered. It left Halo fans the series in an even worse place with a lot of fans trading in their games and systems. Halo 5 definitely looks to be a step in the right direction but there is definitely hesitation and I don't think they'll win October or November. Strong PS4 advertising in September, with strong advertising for CoD and Star Wars means they'll probably get November too. October even though it's a huge Halo month, how much can they really sell to offset PS4 gains? I mean the bundle is more costly as well because it's the limited edition game I think comes with it, as opposed to standard copy.

Halo MCC dead in sales after 1 week? I believe you don't know that sold more than 1 million in 2014.

Alo0oy

Banned
I believe in 1.5m. 2m is out of question with poor XBO version sales.

How many units did MGS1, 2, & 3 sell on their first month? Because TPP has sold better than all of them in almost every reported market.

If one of them hit 2m, then there's no question that TPP will too.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
what did software sales look like though?

March was the Smash Bros Brawl month, and the sales are fucking explode to >700k this month ( 721,000 ).
After that, April was the Mario Kart 6 month, and the Wii sales was flat ( 714,000 ), that's even if usually April is a HUGE drop, in April 2008, the Wii sold nearly more than double of PS3+X360.

By May, the Wii sales are continued to drop since August, and by September, Wii was starting to sell again insanity numbers, it sold over 800k in October, and was >2 million in November and December 2008.

big_z

Ps4 still winning even with all those crazy bundles and deals on xbone.

dead.png

Other than the bestbuy TV offer which was a cheapo clearance TV that added to the purchase cost there wasnt any crazy bundles. Both consoles seem content cycling pack in games for the time being. Things will be interesting once the holiday bundles show up around Black Friday.

Wut? It was like the best selling 1st party title for any system in 2014 afaik

Also, last October, a month before MCC, MS announced Halo series sales were at 60 million. This July they announced the series was at 65million. The only reasonable place the sales could have came were their mobile game, Halo Spartan Strike which launched earlier in the year, and MCC. I'd say 2.5million is where it should be.

Please.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's selling quite good actually, already over 500k according to steamspy, which would definitely help making it the best selling game in September.

If you isolate US sales only, it should be around ~200k (just a guess), which is pretty good, but negligible in the grand scheme of things.

RoKKeR

Pretty surprised Gears charted so highly, especially for the late release. It's the kind of game I'd want digitally.

Also happy to see Rare Replay and Until Dawn up there.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
How many units did MGS1, 2, & 3 sell on their first month? Because TPP has sold better than all of them in almost every reported market.

If one of them hit 2m, then there's no question that TPP will too.

Metal Gear Solid IV sold 995,000 in June 2008. ( only 2 weeks of sales ).

Metal Gear Solid V has 5 weeks of sales in September. I don't think will sell 2 million, i only think is possible, but yeah, i think will be over 1.5 million.

Zhuge, do you have first month NPD sales for the Metal Gear franchise?

Snake Eater sold 290,000 first month. i don't know the others...

If you isolate US sales only, it should be around ~200k (just a guess), which is pretty good, but negligible in the grand scheme of things.

That's true 500k is worldwide, forgot about that. But I'm still surprised that it can keep the number 1 spot on the Steam charts, being a full priced game.

You guys think Metal Gear will be bigger than Batman and MKX? I mean maybe the 5 weeks will get it there but no way its opening week was anywhere near as big

Part of e really hopes the PS4 can beat the record previously held by the wii and ds set in dec 09 and sell more than 3.8 million consoles in a single month. I think gaf would explode like it did when nintendo sold more than 7 million consoles in a single month between ds and wii.

GamerJM

Banned
10 days into September and list is the following:

#6 MGS:V PS4
#12 Taken King PS4 White Bundle
#22 Halo 5 (NICE!)
#28 Until Dawn
#41 Take King Legendary Edition XBO
#47 MGS:V XBO
#72 Forza 6 1TB XBO Blue Bundle
#76 Madden '16 1TB Black Bundle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-09/videogames#1

Sony will likely take September

Mario Maker is 2, and that comes out this month. But Amazon charts don't necessarily mean much.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
It's selling quite good actually, already over 500k according to steamspy, which would definitely help making it the best selling game in September.

True, but how many of those owners on steamspy got the game with a GPU? And would Konami count those as sales or not? Just random thoughts I had.
Regardless, it is doing well on PC.

Sakura

Metal Gear Solid IV sold 995,000 in June 2008. ( only 2 weeks of sales ).

Metal Gear Solid V has 5 weeks of sales in September. I don't think will sell 2 million, i only think is possible, but yeah, i think will be over 1.5 million.

MGS4 was also bundled though wasn't it? I think that would have an impact on its sales.
As far as I am aware MGSV is not bundled in the US, though I may be wrong.

Sez

FIFA 16 will chart in september. It includes female teams for the first time and female football (soccer) is actually a thing in the states.

Alo0oy

Banned
MGS4 was also bundled though wasn't it? I think that would have an impact on its sales.
As far as I am aware MGSV is not bundled in the US, though I may be wrong.

That's true, I think PS3 sold about ~450k that month, most of it was probably MGS4 bundles.

I'll stick with over 1.5m for the Phantom Pain, then.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
True, but how many of those owners on steamspy got the game with a GPU? And would Konami count those as sales or not? Just random thoughts I had.
Regardless, it is doing well on PC.

Why wouldn't Konami count that as a sale?
They did sell the game to Nvidia. Who cares what Nvidia did with it?

Top Bottom