• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

Madness

Wut? It was like the best selling 1st party title for any system in 2014 afaik

Also, last October, a month before MCC, MS announced Halo series sales were at 60 million. This July they announced the series was at 65million. The only reasonable place the sales could have came were their mobile game, Halo Spartan Strike which launched earlier in the year, and MCC. I'd say 2.5million is where it should be.

Please.

The game was half price by December for that big Christmas time sale. And then I'm pretty sure it was starting to be bundled free with every new console, either by retailers or packed in with bundles. I'm almost certain the increase in 'numbers' for the series is that 2 million+ new Xbox One owners got a free copy. That's what I meant by decline in sales. It was lighting up the charts until the problems became known.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Nintendo's software really is special...how many million sellers do they have? 6? 7?

I don't know about US, but globally, they have 9 million seller:

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Bros U, Luigi Bros U, Mario 3DWorld, Wii Party U, Nintendo Land, Zelda Wind Waker, and Splatoon.

kswiston

how?

60,000 this month... September is a bigger month, but even if the sales will be flat, it will sell another 60k in September, and will be wasy over 40k in October, probabily still at 60k or so.

Why are you expecting flat or increasing sales in Sept/Oct?

Mory Dunz

Splatoon has very similar numbers between US and Japan and yet the matches are always full of japanese players.

i think japan's having a Squid Fever.

That probaby depends on when you're playing.

Cause there should be more "western" players in total than Japan.

kswiston

Why should they? They're in first and making tons of money. So what if MS wins a month or two even if it is the biggest monthd of the year? They make money all year round.

Sales have been flat or down most months this year no? At some point, making a little more profit per unit is not worth giving up marketshare/momentum. The only system in the past 4 generations to go this long without a price drop was the Wii, and the PS4 is not pushing Wii numbers in North America.

CLEEK

even with a free TV? what's going on?

Reminiscent of the failed sales push where Sega bundled a DVD player with a Dreamcast to try an beat the PS2.

MS's holiday season will be defined by the reception of Halo 5. Whether MCC damaged the brand, and how it stacks up against Battlefield, Destiny and BLOPS3 (all three having PS4 marketing).

AP90

Man, it's seeming less and less likely there will be a PS4 price cut this year. I've been holding out out of fear a cut/larger HDD SKU is just around the corner. I hope they announce if they have any new holiday plans soon.

I suspect a $50 official price cut will happen possibly this holiday season to create extra competition during the holidays.. But based on how well the PS4 is selling, Sony may just save that as an E3 announcement. And for the mean time just continue to rake in that premium price.

@ZhugeEX

Do you think the PS division has recouped the costs of the PS3 gen yet? As it took some time for Xbox 360 to recover from the Xbox OG costs due to Nvidia.

That awkward moment when the PS3 was selling better in 2008 (YTD) than the PS4 has been in 2015 (YTD)

(To be fair they're pretty much the same. Just like XB1/360 for 2015/2007)

Sony really needs to drop the price already. $350 in time for the Holiday will do wonders.

aaronwt

Wow, Gears did amazing for the short time, and that doesnt count the bundled copies right?

Glad Until Dawn charted as well, I think the game sold a great amount of copies in september, because of Yutube/Twitch success

It still doesn't count the digital copies either does it?. None of my game purchases ever seem to get counted since I only do digital. And Between August and November I will spend over $500 for games on the Xbox One and PS4.

The PS4 SW bundles that was announced before the Uncharted bundle, don't have a price yet. Not listed on Amazon/Gamestop/Walmart (unless I missed it).

Yeah, Star Wars's two bundles are mysteriously without a price right now. I really think we're either getting a $50 or $100 price drop announcement at Paris Games Week.

I-hate-u

Gamescom/Europe was the home of price drop announcements. Now being 2 years into this cycle, and no big first party push from Sony, will we finally see a price drop announcement this PGW?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sony really needs to drop the price already. $350 in time for the Holiday will do wonders.

Meh, not really. Just increase the value. It'll do well enough and a price cut can come next year.

But I can see Sony doing a price cut this year as well if they decide too. It's not needed though.

I'm not really sure that the territories are comparable in buying habits. Isn't Japan already selling more Splatoon per month at this point, despite similar totals?

Splatoon has done very well in Japan and will continue to do well through the rest of the year.

In the USA there is trends with Nintendo first party games selling well over a long period of time but it's not going to be like Japan in this case.

CLEEK

@ZhugeEX

Do you think the PS division has recouped the costs of the PS3 gen yet? As it took some time for Xbox 360 to recover from the Xbox OG costs due to Nvidia.

This is a moot point. Businesses don't work that way. It's not like the PS division is in debt/credit with the rest of Sony. Companies work on a financial year by year basis. The disastrous years that Sony went though, across their entire business, are past history. Current and future results are all that matter.

PS4 Won
Until Dawn charted

ivvLZlh.jpg

I thought people hid their fanboyisms

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Meh, not really. Just increase the value. It'll do well enough and a price cut can come next year.

But I can see Sony doing a price cut this year as well if they decide too. It's not needed though.

Splatoon has done very well in Japan and will continue to do well through the rest of the year.

In the USA there is trends with Nintendo first party games selling well over a long period of time but it's not going to be like Japan in this case.

Sure, but I wouldn't say Splatoon is doing badly in the US or anything though right? Selling 60K in its 4th month is still pretty good.

I am so incredibly happy that Until Dawn charted. Might not stay on the chart in September but Sony needs to push this game for Halloween at the end of October.

Damn for PS4's performance, despite Xbox One pulling out all the stops. This was supposed to be an "easy win" for Microsoft considering their lineup, and with September's lineup I don't imagine Xbox One taking this month either.

LifEndz

Fat Shouts to Super Massive for Until Dawn! That's off no marketing. Damn man, hope Sony makes a series off of this.

Can't wait to see what crazy bundles/deals MS is going to have this year as they try to close the gap.

I still think we'll get a $50 price drop announcement at PGW and then the price will drop again to somewhere between $250 and $280 in the second half of 2016 with a Slim hardware revision.

FelipeMGM

It still doesn't count the digital copies either does it?. None of my game purchases ever seem to get counted since I only do digital. And Between August and November I will spend over $500 for games on the Xbox One and PS4.

Yeah, digital sales dont count, which is a shame,

kswiston

Sure, but I wouldn't say Splatoon is doing badly in the US or anything though right? Selling 60K in its 4th month is still pretty good.

It's doing well, but we don't have evidence that baseline sales going forward will be higher than that. Nintendo software tends to do well in the legs department, but he is expecting the game to double its LTD in the next 4 months.

Top Bottom