• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

Ryng_tolu

Banned
MGS4 was also bundled though wasn't it? I think that would have an impact on its sales.
As far as I am aware MGSV is not bundled in the US, though I may be wrong.

yes, Metal Gear Solid IV bundle sold 220,000 firsts two weeks.

That's true, I think PS3 sold about ~450k that month, most of it was probably MGS4 bundles.

I'll stick with over 1.5m for the Phantom Pain, then.

PS3 sold 405,000.

Yes. MGS V bundle is only in EU ( and jap maybe ).

Europe and Japan.

US has a Destiny bundle though.

68-110-174-07.jpg

Mory Dunz

Doubt it.

Mad Max
MGS V
Madden 16
FIFA 16
Minecraft
Destiny: Taken King
Forza 6
NHL 16
Skylanders Superchargers
LEGO Dimensions

There is your top 10 in no particular order. And I'm even leaving out NBA which might knock out Mad Max, and leaving out GTA which will knock one of those off, just not sure which one

No Disney Infinity though?

And Mario Maker?

Opiate

Yeah, the timing of the launches really makes intergenerational comps screwy.

For PS4, Xone and Wii U 2015 your comp years are 2007 for the X360, 2008 for the PS3 and 2009 for the Wii.

But not so in 2009... the proper comp year lol.

Why is that the proper comp year? The first console this generation launched 2.5 years ago, just as was true in 2008.

Alo0oy

Banned
yes, Metal Gear Solid IV bundle sold 220,000 first two weeks.

PS3 sold 405,000.

So 1.2 million for MGS4, the PS4 SKU could sell better than that alone if the US mirrors the UK (not a guarantee, just a likely scenario), with additional 300k-400k from XB1 & last gen.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
A remake wouldn't and shouldn't push a consoles sales that much in my opinion. Now when a new game, like Halo 5, comes out that will be a different story.

True.
Indeed, The Last of us didn't help PS4, July 2014 was the third worst month ever for PS4.

1) May 2015 = 152,000
2) April 2015 = 174,000
3) July 2014 = 187,000

Boke1879

Oh, that's pretty stupid. Sony needs to be aggressive.

We keep saying they need to be aggressive but why? They really haven't done much and still outselling the competition WHILE hitting their margins.

I understand October is Halo month and many feel Sony should just announce a price cut. But Sony doesn't look at it this way. Bundles have been doing great for them and the Nathan Drake bundle does represent good value.

All Sony cares about is hitting their margins. If they lose October in sales it doesn't matter if they are making money.

Either way. November and December will more than make up for it with those bundles they have.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So 1.2 million for MGS4, the PS4 SKU could sell better than that alone if the US mirrors the UK (not a guarantee, just a likely scenario), with additional 300k-400k from XB1 & last gen.

Ryng is estimating bundle sales.

Correct way to phrase it is 775k for MGS4 excl bundles and under 1000k inc bundles.

Ōkami;178297211 said:
Xbox One should double WiiU's LTD withing the next 2 months, PS4 already did that some time ago.

Unless XB1 reaches 20m by December it won't do double WiiU LTD I assure you that.

AniHawk

Because cosmic is including the Wii U which released 2012. So 2009 would be the year to compare to Wii.

doesn't really make sense. 2.5 years after gen 7 started (for consoles) was 2008, like 2.5 years after gen 8 started (for consoles) was 2015. the consoles being compared both launched a year into the generation (for consoles) - the wii being a year after the 360 and the ps4/xb1 being a year after the wii u.

so the graph should actually have the wii u's 2014 to complete the comparison.

ZhugeEX

Banned
doesn't really make sense. 2.5 years after gen 7 started (for consoles) was 2008, like 2.5 years after gen 8 started (for consoles) was 2015. the consoles being compared both launched a year into the generation (for consoles) - the wii being a year after the 360 and the ps4/xb1 being a year after the wii u.

so the graph should actually have the wii u's 2014 to complete the comparison.

Separately.

Wii --- Wii U
2006 --- 2012
2007 --- 2013
2008 --- 2014
2009 --- 2015

Zophar

Man, it's seeming less and less likely there will be a PS4 price cut this year. I've been holding out out of fear a cut/larger HDD SKU is just around the corner. I hope they announce if they have any new holiday plans soon.

kswiston

Man, it's seeming less and less likely there will be a PS4 price cut this year. I've been holding out out of fear a cut/larger HDD SKU is just around the corner. I hope they announce if they have any new holiday plans soon.

I can't imagine that they sit on their ass and give Microsoft another holiday season. If they aren't going to price drop, there better be some aggressive bundling.

AniHawk

Separately.

Wii --- Wii U
2006 --- 2012
2007 --- 2013
2008 --- 2014
2009 --- 2015

the systems actually being compared

Wii --- ps4/xb2
2006 --- 2013
2007 --- 2014
2008 --- 2015

opiate talked about relative to the time of the generation. the above is true. the wii - wii u is not the basis of the comparison.

Madao

Splatoon has very similar numbers between US and Japan and yet the matches are always full of japanese players.

i think japan's having a Squid Fever.

I can't imagine that they sit on their ass and give Microsoft another holiday season. If they aren't going to price drop, there better be some aggressive bundling.
I only expect bundles, don't think they are dropping to anything lower than $350 to phase out the 500GB model so 1TB is standard. Even that's an if, Sony is about that profit. They used to be a big boy electronic company worth 100Billion I think, they have dropped down to what a 30-40Bil company now? I think profit is the name of the game for them for the next 3-5 years.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Splatoon would have to do 500k in Nov/Dec to hit 1.2M this year, since it's not going to push much more than 100k units in Sept/Oct. Perhaps less than that.

how?

60,000 this month... September is a bigger month, but even if the sales will be flat, it will sell another 60k in September, and will be wasy over 40k in October, probabily still at 60k or so.

ZhugeEX

Banned
the systems actually being compared

Wii --- ps4/xb2
2006 --- 2013
2007 --- 2014
2008 --- 2015

opiate talked about relative to the time of the generation. the above is true. the wii - wii u is not the basis of the comparison.

Oh yeh,

I agree with that which is why I agreed with him before.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Wii U to Wii.!

Everytime, people shouldn't say LTD in NPD threads it confuses people.

NATD anyone? (North America To Date)

Na, haha.

Just say LTD. But if you want to talk worldwide sales then make sure to state that explicitly. Otherwise It should be US discussion in this thread :)

Why should they? They're in first and making tons of money. So what if MS wins a month or two even if it is the biggest monthd of the year? They make money all year round.

Top Bottom