• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

Kandinsky said:
Didnt KHDS sell 400k+? I expect at least 250k for BBS and charting next month. You guys are too damn pessimistic when it comes to PSP software sales >_>
Who among us predicted Peace Walker bombing as badly as it did in the west?

Heh, so DQ9's first month is almost exactly the same as MH3's first month. Fancy that! :lol

Glad to see it doing well.

360 and DQ9 are the only success stories of the month, everything else is just coasting.

itxaka

Defeatist
OldJadedGamer said:
I don't think they did. Especially strange for MS considering how well they did.

Yep, I can't find anything on my mail and on the press blog. Quite strange that Sony didn't say anything too :(

Rad-

You do know that the original crackdown barely broke a million worldwide and that was with a halo 3 beta, right? I think crackdown 2 worldwide is approaching half of what crackdown 1 did totally (guesstimate of course) already, so it's actually not doing bad.

Crackdown 2 should be able to break a million over time, and considering it isn't a 'full blown long dev cycle sequel' i'm sure MS will be happy enough over the sales.. Game was awesome too :p

Crackdown 1 sold over 1.5 million actually.

W1SSY

Katana_Strikes said:
Poor for Crackdown 2. NCAA Football a bit down on 360 and quite a bit up on PS3 compared to last year.

Yea I was a bit surprised how close the numbers for the 360 and PS3 version of NCAA were this month.

Sipowicz

Banned
yessss starcraft

it's probably done well over a million if you count downloads. that + dragon quest doing well = great news

Celine

Aeana said:
DQ8's opening was around 84k. If I had to guess, it looks like DQ9 is probably around 100-110k. That would make it a pretty big success, and all without an FF demo.
DQ9 did 132K in its opening month :D .

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Unless Nintendo has a price cut, Kinect will keep the xbox neck in neck with Wii Nov.-Dec. Wouldn't be surprised if the 360 surpassed it those months.

Acheteedo

ralexand said:
Unless Nintendo has a price cut, Kinect will keep the xbox neck in neck with Wii Nov.-Dec. Wouldn't be surprised if the 360 surpassed it those months.

The Wii is more of an xmas purchase than the other consoles, I still expect it to outsell the competition.

neptunes

Acheteedo said:
The Wii is more of an xmas purchase than the other consoles, I still expect it to outsell the competition.
MS added a lot of value to the aracde sku this year, it will be able to sell on it's own this holiday.

V_Ben

Banned
Haunted said:
Obligatory wow @ 360 hardware, PS3 will never catch up confirmed.

Good news for Dragon Quest.

Yeah, no chance PS3 is going to catch up to 360 in the US. Those numbers are incredibly impressive!

How is the PS3 going against the 360 worldwide?

Obviously it's winning in Japan, but how is its performance in Europe? I was under the impression that its doing very well in some countries whilst the 360 is thriving in others.

V_Ben

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
How is the PS3 going against the 360 worldwide?

Obviously it's winning in Japan, but how is its performance in Europe? I was under the impression that its doing very well in some countries whilst the 360 is thriving in others.

UK is more 360 focused, but everywhere else the PS3 appears to be more popular, based on my uninformed opinion. It's almost neck and neck with the 360 in Europe, apparently.

LM4sure

Banned
Yikes, wii really fell off. I think this trend is likely to continue until November since the release schedule is pretty barren. It'll pick up around the holidays though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
V_Ben said:
UK is more 360 focused, but everywhere else the PS3 appears to be more popular, based on my uninformed opinion. It's almost neck and neck with the 360 in Europe, apparently.

Worldwide, the PS3 is catching up. The last PS360 gap (according to Sony's latest financial reports) was around... 3m.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
LM4sure said:
Yikes, wii really fell off. I think this trend is likely to continue until November since the release schedule is pretty barren. It'll pick up around the holidays though.
I don't see it. The other guys will have new hardware to sell customers and Kinect will be the hot item imo this holiday season. I don't see what will cause customers to choose the Wii over the hot new items, but admittedly I don't know what Nintendo's big items are this holiday season.

Celine

ULTROS! said:
Worldwide, the PS3 is catching up. The last PS360 gap (according to Sony's latest financial reports) was around... 3m.
Does it matter though ?
It's clear that MS and Sony split evenly the market this time around.

ULTROS! said:

Worldwide, the PS3 has been catching up. We still don't know enough about situation in Europe to be able to tell whether things have changed since the Slim launched. The gap will probably start widening again until the next proper price drop on Sony's side (although both Move and Kinect could obviously turn out to be rather significant factors in all future developments).

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
ULTROS! said:

really now? So Sony closed the ~8 million gap between the machines??
hmm.. somehow im doubting this..

Mad_Ban

This is one of the slowest NPD threads I've ever seen. I remember when they used to be at 1000 replied when I came back. :(

Maximilian E. said:
I think someone pegged the gap at 3.6 million worldwide after the last FY shipment reports.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Maximilian E. said:

I'm not sure how you can doubt official shipment numbers from both companies...
----
Not that it's relevant who is catching up to whom, but yes, in the recent past the PS3 has been gaining ground on the 360... Will that continue? Who knows.

Prine

Banned
Only a matter of time until Kinect is crowned a success as well. I want it to happen soon because i have lots of crow ready.

Amazing 360 numbers, beyond my optimistic expectations even. So Reach + New slim -> Fable -> Kinnect 360 bundle.

This is going to be 360 most successful year yet. MS are making a profit on each console sold too right?

chico

finally the wii sales are dropping... my prayers were answered! hooray

now give us next generation consoles so that they can compete with the mighty PC again!!!

Elios83

Great 360 hardware this month and surprisingly low Wii hardware sales.
The rest is pretty much expected. PS3 had a big yoy growth but august will be the last month Sony will have an easy yoy win. In September they will have the Move launch + the new 160GB/320GB models and bundles but I doubt it will boost things as much as the PS3 Slim+ 299$ price.
Nintendo should consider a price cut for the holyday season if this month performance starts to be a trend for them.

a.wd

I am confused as to how people think that Reach isn't going to move numbers like an autistic savant reciting pi?

Bearing in mind the sheer might of the Microsoft marketing machine, wouldn't everyone just expect it to move serious units?

I would like to know (seriously) how anyone would think that it isn't going to move big numbers.

Elios83

a.wd said:
I am confused as to how people think that Reach isn't going to move numbers like an autistic savant reciting pi?

Bearing in mind the sheer might of the Microsoft marketing machine, wouldn't everyone just expect it to move serious units?

I would like to know (seriously) how anyone would think that it isn't going to move big numbers.

Because all the people interested in Halo already have the console 5 years into the lifecycle.

szaromir

Banned
Elios83 said:
Because all the people interested in Halo already have the console 5 years into the lifecycle.
Whatever. Halo is a major franchise which creates buzz around the system -> sales spike.

Cheech

Sony has a long row to hoe this year.

All they really have is GT5 to push units, and who knows how relevant that franchise still is (speaking about the US only, being an NPD thread and all). LBP2 is not going to move hardware units at all due to being a Euro-centric game, and... what else does Sony have?

2011 doesn't really improve the picture much. The only market for Killzone 3 is current PS3-only owners; nobody is going to buy a PS3 to play that in the face of Gears 3.

The 360, OTOH, is loaded for bear. Even in the unlikely event that Kinect flops, they are still the system to beat.

It is hard for me to rationally discuss the Wii. Sure, they will sell a shit ton of hardware during the holidays, but those people simply do not buy third party software that isn't shovelware or exercise games. It is a difficult system to take seriously. If they were seriously damaging the PS3/360 sales that would be one thing, but I honestly think they (more than ever) are selling to a different audience.

That said, I am very curious how many of these 360 slim sales are going to people with Wiis who are "upgrading". Despite fanboy banter, the MW2 sales bump put on full display that plenty of new Xbox customers bought the slim.

Elios83 said:

That's not true, I know I'm a huge Halo fan, yet I don't have the console yet. There's bound to be more people like me. Also consider that a lot of people didn't want to buy the 360 because of fear of RRoD, the lack of WiFi, because their old console has died or for some other reason. Now that Slim is here, Reach provides another good reason for them to jump in.

Curufinwe

Yup, I'm another person who enjoyed Halo 1 and 2, but still hasn't bought a 360 because of those issues. But I'm not sure if I should get the Reach bundle or wait till they start including a game or two with the $300 360. You only really save $10 by getting the Reach bundle, and the custom colors and sounds aren't relevant to me.

Haunted said:
Obligatory wow @ 360 hardware, PS3 will never catch up confirmed in the US.

Fixed. And that was confirmed a long time ago.

lionelhutz

o8tkj5.jpg

Sydle

Elios83 said:

You're not taking into account that it's probably going to be THE multiplayer game this holiday season and for some time beyond. It's going to get a lot of word of mouth and people who want to play online with their friends will have to jump in.

I already have a 360, but I put up my Halo hat years ago (skipped Wars and ODST). Several of my online friends are already talking about how they're going to get it on launch day (midnight release) and play all night. After September, when I look at my friends list, it's going to have a picture of Halo Reach being played with full party chat rooms. It's hard not to get caught up in that buzz. I'm buying it to join the party.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i havent really checked these type of threads for a while... I remember these threads having like 35 pages over night...

and also I think that sports games are not selling like they used to, and I am to blame as well, I used to LOVE this time of year... madden and NCAA and I dont have either, and dont plan on picking them up. I guess I outgrew their product.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cheech said:
2011 doesn't really improve the picture much. The only market for Killzone 3 is current PS3-only owners; nobody is going to buy a PS3 to play that in the face of Gears 3.

What is PS3's and 360's 2011 lineup?

Penguin

Paco said:
You're not taking into account that it's probably going to be THE multiplayer game this holiday season and for some time beyond. It's going to get a lot of word of mouth and people who want to play online with their friends will have to jump in.

I already have a 360, but I put up my Halo hat years ago (skipped Wars and ODST). Several of my online friends are already talking about how they're going to get it on launch day (midnight release) and play all night. After September, when I look at my friends list, it's going to have a picture of Halo Reach being played with full party chat rooms. It's hard not to get caught up in that buzz. I'm buying it to join the party.

But that describes EXACTLY what he is saying.

It will sell to an audience that already has a 360 for Halo 3 or Wars or ODST.

No one is denying the game will sell well.

Top Bottom