• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2010

DR2K

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Halo Reach will bump 360 sales? If you care enough about Reach that you'd buy a 360 for it, don't you already own a 360?

It'll bump it, just not really significant.

Gin

Sammy Samusu said:
DRAGON QUEST IX®: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ for Nintendo DS at No. 8 with more than 132,000 sold

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/47165/

2af0oqq.jpg

The_Technomancer said:
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Halo Reach will bump 360 sales? If you care enough about Reach that you'd buy a 360 for it, don't you already own a 360?

That's what was said about ODST...and it was true. :p

Who knows, though? It probably depends a lot on how much marketing Microsoft puts behind it, and how effective that marketing is. And after its launch, if word-of-mouth is good and in the vein of "it's not the same old thing", that might help, too. I think this Christmas season is shaping up to be the least predictable this gen, and that's saying something.

donny2112

OldJadedGamer said:
LOL, Nintendo family.

1) They don't say "family" to combine Wii and DS. The only time "family" is mentioned is for DS, since they're combining multiple variations to get the monthly number.
2) They've combined systems and said that they sold 50% of the hardware that month (or whatever) several times before.

RSTEIN said:
never thought I'd see the day when Nintendo would have to resort to pulling out the family card.

Then good news, they haven't. Unless you're talking about what they've already done several times before to list total hardware sales for Wii and DS in a month without saying anything about a "Nintendo family."

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
...*squints eyes* was that sarcasm right there?

Nope. NSMB was disappointing for the most part, but it was marketed pretty well and it's one of the few default purchases for new DS owners.

NSMBW is the game NSMB should've been.

Augemitbutter said:
132k for DQ IX is not that great, considering all the marketing they put in, i'd say those numbers are pretty bad.

it most probably did far better in the EU.
It's a significantly higher debut than Dragon Quest 8, which had a freaking Final Fantasy mainline playable demo included. I would say it's pretty damned good. Like, 3 JRPGs have had a higher debut this gen.

The_Technomancer said:
If you care enough about Reach that you'd buy a 360 for it, don't you already own a 360?

I personally do, but that Reach 360 S is calling to me - I'd like to upgrade to a 360 S this year, the Reach one looks nice and it makes Halo noises
o851s0.jpg

Stage On

GO Dragon Quest 9 go.

It brings a tear to my eyes to see it actually chart! Looks like advertising really does make a difference

Chrange said:
I thought the 4 GB one was $150 - must have been a sale on Best Buy's website. Hammers the point home more - the price has largely remained the same.
At launch:

Xbox 360 with wired controller, no internal memory, no Wi-Fi $299
Xbox 360 with wireless controller, 20GB HDD, no Wi-Fi $399

Now:

Xbox 360 with wireless controller, 4GB internal memory, Wi-Fi $199
Xbox 360 with wireless controller, 250GB HDD, Wi-Fi $299
Xbox 360 LE with two wireless controllers, headset, Halo Reach, Wi-Fi $399

Price hasn't changed much in four years, but what comes in the box sure has changed a lot.

The_Technomancer said:

I had a 360 until my sister's 360 broke down and MS asked her for $125 to fix it. Since I was gonna pick up Reach and was wanting a Slim for Kinect, I traded her my working 360 for her broken one, sold it and the accessories to GameStop, and put a reservation down on a Halo Reach 360. We may see other people do the same thing, especially those with families that are interested in Kinect.

Curufinwe

Segata Sanshiro said:
You privy to some info the rest of us aren't?

No, it's just all the discussions about the 3DS that I've heard make it sound like it will be released in Japan late this year, and early next year in America.

C4Lukins

BishopLamont said:
If you follow the logic that every Halo fan should have the system by now then you can apply that logic that every shooter fan should have the console already. Of course that doesn't make sense or reality. All big games sell consoles, it might not be a huge bump but also sells the system over time.

Oh and yeah I forgot that it was the first Halo released. :lol

The main reason that a new Halo will sell the 360 is because of a new giant Halo marketing campaign which in essence is a new giant 360 marketing campaign. Then for the collectors you have a probably semi limited edition 360 console launching with the game that is not completely hideous like the Halo 3 360.

As for the hardware sales. Good on the 360. It did not just beat the Wii, it beat the shit out of it, which is something new. It even defeated the DS which did not have bad month by any means. The PS3 performed typically decent without making much waves. The Wii seems to be losing steam quickly. Which means it is no longer kicking ass and taking names, but is merely performing awesomely and having a typical old school PS2 month instead of a ridiculous Wii month.

Software though is really unimpressive. NCAA 360 performing worse then its predecessor, even if only by a little, and the PS3 version performing well compared to the overall US userbase of the systems is probably a bit disconcerting for MS. While Sony is not eating into MS's North American console userbase, they seem to be doing a good job on the software side. My explanation for this is that the 360 has done such a fantastic job entertaining consumers in other areas that it could be effecting retail sales.

I boot up the 360, and lets say I have 15 friends on during an average night, and I would venture to guess that more then half of them are watching Netflix, playing an XBLA game, or doing something else that does not even register as playing a retail game.

Keavy_Rain said:
At launch:

Xbox 360 with wired controller, no internal memory, no Wi-Fi $299
Xbox 360 with wireless controller, 20GB HDD, no Wi-Fi $399

Now:

Xbox 360 with wireless controller, 4GB internal memory, Wi-Fi $199
Xbox 360 with wireless controller, 250GB HDD, Wi-Fi $299
Xbox 360 LE with two wireless controllers, headset, Halo Reach, Wi-Fi $399

Price hasn't changed much in four years, but what comes in the box sure has changed a lot.

September 3rd, 2008 was the last time the 360 had a price drop on the current entry price model of the 360. Almost a full 2 years ago.

donny2112

OldJadedGamer said:
September 3rd, 2008 was the last time the 360 had a price drop on the current entry price model of the 360. Almost a full 2 years ago.

Well, they've had a price drop on the arcade to $150. If you ignore that, then they've actually had a price increase, since there's not a $199 model currently.

Edit:
Your point is still valid, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AniHawk said:
Nope. NSMB was disappointing for the most part, but it was marketed pretty well and it's one of the few default purchases for new DS owners.

NSMBW is the game NSMB should've been.
Ah! There it is. I was like "I thought Anihawk loved NSMBWii, was I wrong?". Mixed up the versions.

donny2112 said:
Well, they've had a price drop on the arcade to $150. If you ignore that, then they've actually had a price increase, since there's not a $199 model currently.

Edit:
Your point is still valid, though.

The 360 that was currently in production has never dropped below $199. Only discontinued models dropped below that mark.

Oh, and $199 360 right here. If you order in the next 20 hours you can even have it delivered this Saturday

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-4GB-Console/dp/B003O6JKLC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281667091&sr=8-5

AniHawk said:
Sonic 4 especially really should be a retail game.

Sega should release a Wii retail version for $49.99 and then give free download codes away for the 360/PS3 version at Taco Bell or something.

It's what EA would do.

OldJadedGamer said:
When compared to the PS3, the 360's price looks almost criminal and I'm not going to deny that, but it's not like we're talking about the consoles as if they were the previous gen's, where the console (largely) remained the same over time.

I think we're going to have to learn to adjust to the Apple pricing model moving forward, where we get more in the box plus hardware revisions instead of price cuts. Look at the Wii, for example. $199 for a Wii with Wii Motion Plus, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. It's been out nearly four years and has only dropped $50, but has added more stuff to the box.

AniHawk

Segata Sanshiro said:
Like, 3 JRPGs have had a higher debut this gen.

Actually DQIX doesn't break the top 10.

Super Paper Mario, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Final Fantasy XIII, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts DS, Mario & Luigi 2, Mario & Luigi 3, Demon's Souls, Lost Odyssey (not in that order).

...However, DQIX's numbers are pretty good, yeah.

OldJadedGamer said:
The 360 that was currently in production has never dropped below $199. Only discontinued models dropped below that mark.

Oh, and $199 360 right here. If you order in the next 20 hours you can even have it delivered this Saturday

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-4GB-Console/dp/B003O6JKLC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281667091&sr=8-5
I think he's referring to the fire sales on the old 360 models. IIRC Amazon and a few other places dropped the Arcade units to $150 or had them at $199 plus $50 gift card. Like you, I wouldn't consider a fire sale to be the same as a price cut.

Keavy_Rain said:
I think he's referring to the fire sales on the old 360 models. IIRC Amazon and a few other places dropped the Arcade units to $150 or had them at $199 plus $50 gift card. Like you, I wouldn't consider a fire sale to be the same as a price cut.

Well, you could if you wanted to but after the fire sale on old models is over the MSRP for the system is still $199. The fact remains that a system that was currently in production has never retailed for under $199. And stores can give them away for free and it doesn't change that the 360's in production have never dropped below that price in almost two years.

AniHawk said:
Actually DQIX doesn't break the top 10.

Super Paper Mario, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Final Fantasy XIII, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts DS, Mario & Luigi 2, Mario & Luigi 3, Demon's Souls, Lost Odyssey (not in that order).
Ah, I always forget those cursed Pokeymans. The three I had in mind were FFXIII, Mario & Luigi 3, and Lost Odyssey. The rest, well... haha. SPM is a Metroidvania, though, not an RPG.

Regardless, I can't imagine 132k for DQ9 is seen as anything other than a win from all parties involved.

goldenpp72

I think MS philosophy is just to keep adding value rather than drop price, kinect is the next thing, and by next year, we'll probably see price drops on those.. so a kinect 4gb model will be 200 and the 250 gig will be 300 :lol

Edit: Spelling

Atomski

The_Technomancer said:

With the Halo: Reach special edition console I am pretty sure it will get bumped. I know a few friends who are going to pick it up.

seady

yankeehater said:
What big holiday game do they have?

They have a ton of games this holiday, but the ones that will take the center stage will be Wii Party and especially Donkey Kong Country Returns. The latter will not have the level of impact of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but will be very close.

goldenpp72 said:
I think MS philosophy is just to keep adding value rather than drop price, kinect is the next thing, and by next year, we'll probably see price drops on thought.. so a kinect 4gb model will be 200 and the 250 gig will be 300 :lol

I agree but I do think they should at least try to get to $99 but look how long it took the PS2 to get there.

seady said:
They have a ton of games this holiday, but the ones that will take the center stage will be Wii Party and especially Donkey Kong Country Returns. The latter will not have the level of impact of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but will be very close.

Oh, come on now.

AniHawk said:
I guess that's a better fit for it. Just replace it with FFIII DS.
Okay so I'm going to go with it being in the top 3-selling JRPGs this gen that do not involve cockfighting, Nomura-taint, or elegant moustaches.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Basileus777 said:
Oh, come on now.
It all comes down to Nintendo's marketing. If people know it exists, it will sell, especially to the 20something demographic that grew up with DKC

Also, I really hope that DQ IX has legs. Nothing would make me happier then to see it eventually break around 7-800k

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Good news for DQIX.

Now I wonder if Birth by Sleep will appear in next month's NPD.

The_Technomancer said:
It all comes down to Nintendo's marketing. If people know it exists, it will sell, especially to the 20something demographic that grew up with DKC

Sell well? Sure. Have an impact very close to NSMB Wii? Not a chance.

ULTROS! said:
Good news for DQIX.

That's going to be the last pulse-check for the PSP. Peace Walker already demonstrated that the previous "hits can break through" status quo on PSP could be gone. If Kingdom Hearts can't do it, you can stick a fork in the PSP in North America.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
T2 must be happy with Red Dead. It keeps trucking.

And hopefully we can get PSP to do worse. Lets get a price drop going before Ys VII comes out ^_^.

C4Lukins

seady said:

No fucking way. I would usually not state something like that because Nintendo tends to prove me wrong time and time again, but no fucking way. It could still be a great success but if it sold half the number of New Super Mario Bros. Wii I will eat my own penis. I will add some guidelines. NPD plus UK certifications and Japan MC. I will not eat my own penis on a technicality.

DR2K

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Good news for DQIX.

I think it has a chance. Dissidia charted, so this should as well.

Also, how did DQVIII fare in its first month?

duk

Banned
360 gaining ground on PS3 in US, somewhat balances out WW sales I guess. The Core + Natal sku gonna sell like crazy Xmas time me thinks.

ICallItFutile said:
YoY

DS -26%
PSP -32%
360 119%
PS3 76%
Wii 1%

YTD

DS 3,469,800
PSP 683,300
360 2,368,400
PS3 1,805,500
Wii 2,659,600

LTD

DS 42,196,558
PSP 17,520,836
360 20,999,386
PS3 12,934,196
Wii 29,793,981
PSP might not break 1M for the year, lulz.

Just woke up to see the numbers. Both happy and surprised to see Crackdown2 on there.
Hopefully we'll get that proper sequel yet!

seady

Basileus777 said:
Oh, come on now.

See who get the last laugh after this year.
People have joke about the sale of Wii Fit, New Super Mario Bros., Just Dance etc. Look what happened. Remember people saying Modern Warfare 2 will eclipse New Super Mario Bros sale last holiday season?

All Nintendo needs to do is to put DKC in a yellow box like the red box for NSMB, and sale will multiply by 10.

Top Bottom