• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

Norse said:
let me pound this home for you once and for all.....the fact wii outsells eveything means squat. A vw bug outsells a Ferrari every stinkin time but that doesnt make it the better car.....both pretty much do the same thing, but ones a hell of a lot better than the other. It just doesnt sell as many units.

Doesnt matter any way..you keep playing mario, zelda and gang, and I'll keep playing the gears, halos, etc. As software is what wins, not the number of hardware you have out there. And as long as there are games we like available, &%$@ hardware numbers.

**** THEM RIGHT IN THE NPD THREAD

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
MP8's numbers are too good to be true. It has already matched MP6 and 7's LTD and will probably beat MP4 and 5's totals next month. The game has a very good chance at becoming the best selling game in the series.

Zelda, WarioWare, Paper Mario and now Mario Party are all selling better or faster than the Gamecube counterparts. I'm expecting that to hold true for Metroid Prime, Super Mario, and Smash Bros. too.

fernoca

Norse said:
let me pound this home for you once and for all.....the fact wii outsells eveything means squat. A vw bug outsells a Ferrari every stinkin time but that doesnt make it the better car.....both pretty much do the same thing, but ones a hell of a lot better than the other. It just doesnt sell as many units.

Doesnt matter any way..you keep playing mario, zelda and gang, and I'll keep playing the gears, halos, etc. As software is what wins, not the number of hardware you have out there. And as long as there are games we like available, &%$@ hardware numbers.
Quite clever...posting this....ON A SALES CHARTS THREAD. :D

EDIT:
Beaten by TheNOTSOGreatDave. :lol

Norse

Joe Molotov said:
So does this mean you will be dropping the "Only Nintendo fans are buying the Wii!!" argument at the end of the year, when the Wii is still outselling the 360 after Halo 3 comes out?"

again, hardware means less than the software....wii owners software choices will answer that.

Norse said:

We're seeing a shift in anti-Wii NPD talking points!!!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i always miss the illegal sales data :(

psp is doing really good. pretty much DS levels when that thing started to explode with NSMB. But where the **** are the game sales for that platform? DS only has 2 or 3 games, though, so its not like that's even making a huge splash compared to the others either.

Sharp

Norse said:
again, hardware means less than the software....wii owners software choices will answer that.
Wii software is selling though. I'd venture so far as to say that the Wii has overall had considerable success in the North American region. If it keeps selling like this it's bound to see enhanced third-party support, just as the DS has been lately.
davepoobond said:
Yeah, without it it's practically impossible to analyze the market.

Norse said:

Meltdown?

Norse said:

So you think Wii can be the best selling console but have the worst lineup of games? Give me one example of a console with that scenario taking place.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Willy Wanka said:
cardancenin2.gif

Fixed :D

Willy Wanka, you have arrived.

HokieJoe

Hollywood_mIRC said:
Nintendo is dominating. Any doubt left Wii won't win this generation of consoles?

I don't think it's certain by any means yet. Wii is dominating right now. I want to see how the market reacts when the 360 drops in price. No way in hell would the Wii be trouncing like it without the huge price advantage IMO. All the evidence you need is the PS2 numbers. The mainstream market isn't ready for $400 - $600 consoles.

Evlar

Banned
Odysseus said:
while all of gaf is ready to say they've accurately estimated europe, i won't fall in that trap. but yeah... in retrospect, i do believe 360 will be second by the end of the year and in north america sometime next year. i got my brainwaves mixed up.

A good choice, but let's break it down this way. Considering 360 numbers from this post:
Raw64life said:
Don't know if this was pointed out already but using NPD and Media Create, Wii JP+NA hardware sales have passed 360 JP+NA hardware sales.

Wii Hardware:

NA - 3,190,000
JP - 3,060,000

Total: 6,250,000

360 Hardware:

NA - 5,750,000
JP - 390,000

Total: 6,140,000
I believe that's correct, or nearly correct and rounded off. Someone post up if I'm wrong. The question becomes "How many 360s have sold in Europe?" but I think a different view of the same question is "How many 360s have sold in Europe as a percentage of US sales?"

If Europe = US:
Europe = 5,750,000
US + Europe + Japan = 11,875,000

There's your "12 million sold" figure. Is it reasonable to think the 360 has sold so well in Europe, so well that it matches the US? I don't think so, since industry insiders who have access to much more accurate European numbers than we'll ever see hint strongly that European sales of 360 are weak in comparison to the US. So... here's a few other permutations.

If Europe = 90% of the US:
US + Europe + Japan = 11,300,000

If Europe = 75% of the US:
US + Europe + Japan = 10,452,500

If Europe = 60% of the US:
US + Europe + Japan = 9,590,000

If Europe = 50% of the US:
US + Europe + Japan = 9,015,000

... And so forth. Pick your own comfort level. I think the first number is far too optimistic and the last is somewhat too pessimistic.

laserbeam

Banned
JJConrad said:
MP8's numbers are too good to be true. It has already matched MP6 and 7's LTD and will probably beat MP4 and 5's totals next month. The game has a very good chance at becoming the best selling game in the series.

Zelda, WarioWare, Paper Mario and now Mario Party are all selling better or faster than the Gamecube counterparts. I'm expecting that to hold true for Metroid Prime, Super Mario, and Smash Bros. too.

Mario party was a franchise destined for greatness on the Wii. Its very likely another top 10 title for july if junes any indication.

Reviews were overly harsh cause it is the 8th in the series of minigame collections but for the most part its everything it should be. Could they do better sure and im sure they will

Joe Molotov

Norse said:

Remember, when all else fails in a NPD argument, fall back on "Gamers are the real winners".

This proves several things to me:

1. People love to buy hardware that is under $300.

2. Nintendo continues to really help only themselves. Capcom's probably pretty happy with the #9 position for RE4 on the Wii, but they should realize that they could have probably gotten up above Forza 2 or higher if they had released it on the 360. Which leads me to point #3...

3. The 360 is STILL the attach rate king. I mean, people continue to buy GHII for it. They sold Tenchu Z for crying out loud. If they could drop the price 100 bucks, they could really start cutting into the PS2 software sales.

4. Video games were up 34% over last year's June. WHEN WILL DEVELOPERS REALIZE? Summer is a perfectly good time for video games! Bring out big games during the summer you fools! Tenchu Z should prove that people are willing to spend money on pretty much ANYTHING during the summer.

laserbeam said:
Mario party was a franchise destined for greatness on the Wii. Its very likely another top 10 title for july if junes any indication.

Reviews were overly harsh cause it is the 8th in the series of minigame collections but for the most part its everything it should be. Could they do better sure and im sure they will

That's why I hated the way that game was reviewed. I've never owned Mario Party before and found myself enjoying it, and a reviewer being sick of the franchise really should be involved in objectively rating it.

HokieJoe

Norse said:

To a point. I can see your argument if hardware sales are close, but you need to have hardware to sell software. Attach rate will only carry you so far IMO.

Norse said:

I know people say it almost too much but this is a sales thread. It's not like anyone called you out, prompting you to come into this thread to bloviate and then look down on everyone here. I sense a bit of hypocrisy as well. You were participating so passionately in the general discourse when you asserted that the Wii is a console selling only to core Nintendo fans and used only to play Nintendo games. If you aren't being hypocritical, what brought you into this thread?

As a side point, sales generally determine where the big games go and how much developer support a console gets. I'm interested in where the Wii ends up because I want to see lots of games on the console.

Orlics

If Tenchu Z of all things can pull decent numbers, I'm sure Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey can.

I mean, cmon. Tenchu Z.

Skiptastic said:
4. Video games were up 34% over last year's June. WHEN WILL DEVELOPERS REALIZE? Summer is a perfectly good time for video games! Bring out big games during the summer you fools! Tenchu Z should prove that people are willing to spend money on pretty much ANYTHING during the summer.

This troubles me. I mean...kids play video games. Kids have less to do in summer. Students play video games, and they have less to do in summer. And it's 6 months before Christmas so you're not getting people "holding off" to make purchases of bigger titles.

Monk

Banned
Norse said:

A ferrair costs a lot more and does everything better than VW.

So you are saying that the 360, ps3 costs a lot more and does everything better than the wii. I could agree with that if you add that the wii handles like a dream. :)

Anyhow with games, hardware is important for third parties. You mentioned only first party games so you are technically right. But i am watching you. =_=

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
TheGreatDave said:
So you think Wii can be the best selling console but have the worst lineup of games? Give me one example of a console with that scenario taking place.

I think that this scenario is very likely this time around. It's weird when I have people over my house. I have the MS racing wheel with a Playseat. I have VF5 arcade stick, Guitar Hero. They want to play Wii Sports. In any event, 3rd party still seems to be scared that their games won't sell on the Wii, so that will keep them at bay.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I think that this scenario is very likely this time around. It's weird when I have people over my house. I have the MS racing wheel with a Playseat. I have VF5 arcade stick, Guitar Hero. They want to play Wii Sports. In any event, 3rd party still seems to be scared that their games won't sell on the Wii, so that will keep them at bay.

Third parties will probably remain cautious for a while but if Wii becomes number one and builds a lead only a idiotic company would hold off on trying to put top titles on the platform. I'm sure Nintendo got most the sales on the NES and SNES, but it didn't stop third parties from being able to profit on those platforms.

Branduil

Skiptastic said:
2. Nintendo continues to really help only themselves. Capcom's probably pretty happy with the #9 position for RE4 on the Wii, but they should realize that they could have probably gotten up above Forza 2 or higher if they had released it on the 360. Which leads me to point #3...

Only if they spent money to improve the graphics, which would cut into any increased sales. Not too mention it'd probably do worse in Japan.

fernoca

Combined sales of the Top 5 games per consoles*

Wii: 1,122,000
NDS: 764,000
360: 717,000
PS2: 632,000
PS3: 282,000
GBA: 234,000

*Rounded to the closest numbers, to not being banned .. :D ...if it's still bannable material, just edit this post.

PkunkFury

Norse said:

this isn't really a good analogy anyway. With game consoles, the userbase drives software sales which in turn drives software production. Userbase for cars don't matter, as long as the cars turn a profit, which is why marketing luxury cars can be a good business. People buy consoles because of the software available, not because of the hardware itself. Bad performance for the hardware means low interest level in the software and less future support, which in turn creates less interest in the hardware. Also, cars are sold for profit, whereas some consoles are sold at a loss, and require the sales of software to subsidize that loss

Norse

TheGreatDave said:

not what I said....but this gen is unlike any of the past.....when has there been 2 consoles head and shoulders more powerful than the 3rd? I will side with sony and MS and say that the wii isnt competing with 360 and ps3. Wii is casuals and nintendo gamers....ps3 and 360 are power gamers, pc gamers. Totally seperate just as is the hardware. IMO

jrricky

Banned
Just saw the numbers and man, oh man, oh man, oh man....

Nintendo is just attaching strings to this industry and controlling it like a puppet.:lol

....Oh and PS3:
th_PoleBarBlooper.gif

Nothing else needs to be said. Ciao!

davepoobond said:

psp is doing really good. pretty much DS levels when that thing started to explode with NSMB. But where the **** are the game sales for that platform? DS only has 2 or 3 games, though, so its not like that's even making a huge splash compared to the others either.

If you'd seen the fake numbers you would not be comparing PSP to DS.

Grecco

So now that Third Parties sell on Nintendo consoles (RE4, Dragon Quest Swords), the current theme is 1.Nintendo isnt competing with the other two and 2.They would sell better on Microsoft. :lol

Wow. Seriously.

TheGreatDave said:
This troubles me. I mean...kids play video games. Kids have less to do in summer. Students play video games, and they have less to do in summer. And it's 6 months before Christmas so you're not getting people "holding off" to make purchases of bigger titles.

Well, the other thing that the industry wants to keep telling us is that the average age of gamers is over 25 or damn near thirty or something. Well guess what? ADULTS DON'T GET SUMMER! They'll play and buy whenever they please! GIVE ME GAMES DAMMIT!

Norse said:
not what I said....but this gen is unlike any of the past.....when has there been 2 consoles head and shoulders more powerful than the 3rd? I will side with sony and MS and say that the wii isnt competing with 360 and ps3. Wii is casuals and nintendo gamers....ps3 and 360 are power gamers, pc gamers. Totally seperate just as is the hardware. IMO

Only they're not, and you're wrong. The more Wiis sold the less 360 and PS3s are.

Norse said:
I'll say that the 360 and the PS3 aren't competing with the Wii, but for entirely different reasons.

They're not competing because they've already lost.

Norse said:

Exactly. You see, the Ferrari is just fast. It's not pratical. You can't get a family in it, you can't go shopping in it. It's not comfortable to drive, the suspension is way too hard. If there is a curb you have to go over, then good luck having a go. And its way too wide to drive on roads. Plus the crappy engineering of the whole thing. It will always be in the garage getting serviced and costing an arm and a leg for the servicing. It's very unreliable. Whereas the Beetle, is reliable, cheap, looks great, and practical in every way. By far the Beetle is the better car. And if you really wanted a sports car, and didn't just want it for showing off, and actually had the money to afford one, you'd buy a 911.

Banned
Norse said:

This is called not gracefully exiting an argument.

Odysseus

Banned
i mentioned this to someone on msn and i'll mention it here...

hardcore 360/ps3 types continue to have problems adjusting to the new reality. just accept the wii. it's here. you might not like it, you might not ever want to play it, and no one will make you. but the thing is successful, it's taking from the sony/ms traditional gaming pie, and third parties will support the thing. and make no mistake, your games will be affected. you might not know it, you might not admit it, but some of those resources directed towards wii would have otherwise gone to 360/ps3. just get used to the idea.

Top Bottom