• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

J-Rzez said:
...But, sucks for those people that have fun with their non-wii machines based on sales numbers... I can see how that'd decrease the gaming experience... I'm sure after Insomniac and Bungie see these numbers, their games appeal and quality will plummet without a doubt, and crysis, only needs 16mb videocard now as it's awesomeness just plummeted... And, by all means pick up Red Steel now, as it's a certifiable AAAA+ title...

Yeah, Wii selling so well will have no impact on how many quality titles it or other consoles get. It's all well and good saying "Well I prefer PS3 and 360!" Well, yeah. Who cares. The more Wii sells and the longer it sells more than those two combined the more titles it gets and less PS3/360 get.

J-Rzez

Odysseus said:
at this point, i'm not sure microsoft can do anything to stop it.

Naw, it'll take Nintendo to do themselves in a 3rd generation in a row... It's not going to happen quickly though... It takes a full year for the main-stream media to get up to date on stuff... For example, saying Ninty ran away with E3 :lol

Odysseus said:
it will take a dramatic shift for next year to be much different than this one. will a price adjustment or two make that much of a difference? will halo 3 and grand theft auto actually spur the masses and energize the "traditional" gaming ps2/xbox fans still sitting on the side to the degree to which 360 can erase the gap?

i don't know, i think the time to try to thwart the wii momentum was earlier this year before it had a chance to take root. instead of focusing so intently on sony (hello, 360 elite), the sights should have quickly shifted to nintendo. at this point, i'm not sure microsoft can do anything to stop it.
The 360 has one last shot to spur sales with the majority of hardcore gamers this fall. But it will be difficult with the positive press Nintendo continues to garner. And with each NPD look as it does, things will stay in a constant cycle for a while.

fernoca

Monk said:
So would you be up for something as interactive as waggle in future controls of various consoles? IMO the wii is a testament that people want to be more immersed into the game, there is a disconnection between pressing a button and a physical action on screen. Wii is a step in the right direction but not the final step. For far too long controls have been put into the optional peripherals market, perhaps forcing a different hrdware control is a step in the right direction to stop it from stagnating.
Yep.
I think that's the reason as to why Mario Party 8 is selling as great as it's doing right now on the Wii.
Mario Parties 1 trough 7 while fun party games, all were stuck in the same "rotate the analog stick"..."press the A button" kind of games..so each game sold less and less and less, simply because they all played technically the same...Now the Wii opened some more options of "interactivity" in those minigames...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ZealousD said:
zealousd-junenpddomination.gif
:lol

Bishman said:
Only a matter of time 'till more third parties move to the Wii. Wii60 is all that is needed this gen.

And to everyone saying third parties don't sell on the Wii, look at RE4. Third parties need to make a f'ing good game and it will sell. Give Wii userbase shit, and they will flush it down the drain. RE4 is proof that good games sell on Wii.

I hope Soul Calibur: Legends turns out good.

I am not so sure. OK RE4 does OK, but its far from being a top seller compared to Nintendo's own titles. Look at what else sold really well on the Wii. ALL of the other titles were published by Nintendo! How can that be a good sign to 3rd parties that their games are going to do well on the Wii? Thus far the Wii is doing the same thing with software that has been the trend for Nintendo for a while now and that's move Nintendo software. Sure Nintendo comes out a big winner but what about the othe developers? Unless they get bought out by Nintendo I don't see them having anything to celebrate about.

That good games bit isn't going to fly with 3rd parties either. Sure Tenchu Z rated poorly but despite that it sold decently. The next time that developer thinks about their platform they'll surely consider the 360 first. Good and bad games are completely subjective. So what may suck to you is great for someone else. Fewer games are just that, fewer games and less games means less reasons for the masses to pick up your console.

I want to see ONE title that was released on all platforms like Marvel Ultimate Alliance sell best on the Wii. Then and only then will I believe that more than Nintendo games can more serious numbers on their console.

The Dark One

Odysseus

Banned
Monk said:
So would you be up for something as interactive as waggle in future controls of various consoles? IMO the wii is a testament that people want to be more immersed into the game, there is a disconnection between pressing a button and a physical action on screen. Wii is a step in the right direction but not the final step. For far too long controls have been put into the optional peripherals market, perhaps forcing a different hrdware control is a step in the right direction to stop it from stagnating.

personally, i just want to sit on my couch with my hands firmly resting on a controller held in my lap as i interact with a story that is playing out before me. when not doing that, i want to vegetate on something like ssx or amped or a puzzle game. i've played with the wii a couple of times and frankly it just underscored my general disinterest in the concept itself. but that's just my preference on the way i want to play games, and it doesn't cloud my perspective on the wii as it pertains to current and future trends in the industry.

fernoca

AdmiralViscen said:
Wait, is someone on the last page arguing that a Ferrari is more practical than a bug?
Yep...
Norse said:
let me pound this home for you once and for all.....the fact wii outsells eveything means squat. A vw bug outsells a Ferrari every stinkin time but that doesnt make it the better car.....both pretty much do the same thing, but ones a hell of a lot better than the other. It just doesnt sell as many units.

Doesnt matter any way..you keep playing mario, zelda and gang, and I'll keep playing the gears, halos, etc. As software is what wins, not the number of hardware you have out there. And as long as there are games we like available, &%$@ hardware numbers.

Innotech

Banned
Monk said:

for me it definitely was. Hell I was even getting bored of Gamecube games made by nintendo. The Wii is pretty much the console Ive been wanting for at least a couple generations, watching other people move conventional controllers around in frustration as if it would make the character react faster or something. Though at the time I thought about such a system, I didnt know what motion sensing even was, only that what it would eventually become as the wii is exactly what I had wanted for a long time. So naturally Im thrilled that this thing is selling like hotcakes. Seeing something that truly breaks the mold in the gaming industry but is also mainstream is a blessing and Im very excited to see where it goes from here. I also have a feeling that minigames will not always be the order of the day. as developers get more used to programming for these sorts of controls, real games that showcase wiimote function will appear more often, as developers will have a better grasp on how to implement them besides just "it does this and this". Zack and wiki for me, is the most promising third party title that really seems to understand the controller and how it can change gaming for the better. I hope more devs go that direction and less make shitl ike Playground or Carnival Games.

J-Rzez said:
Naw, it'll take Nintendo to do themselves in a 3rd generation in a row... It's not going to happen quickly though... It takes a full year for the main-stream media to get up to date on stuff... For example, saying Ninty ran away with E3 :lol

um wasn't the press ahead of the curve crowning wii last may

fernoca said:

No, Jzrez took it one step further at the bottom of the page.

Even after someone else had shot that stupidass analogy down.

Lightning

Banned
I have said this for a long time, not here, but in general that Nintendo are the only ones laughing at Microsoft and Sony constantly trying to beat one another because in the end they both lose. I am not so concerned, I buy the games that matter to me and forget the rest. If gaming no longer provides enough to satisfy my hobby needs for my leisure time then I will invest my money into something that will.

One thing I will never do is hop on this Wii train.

no real surprises to me with the exception of the PSP. All the Nintendo domination #s are all blurring together. The DS #s are beyond insane at this point. But that little 'ol PSP isn't doing too shabby (HW wise at least)

DarkMage619 said:
I am not so sure. OK RE4 does OK, but its far from being a top seller compared to Nintendo's own titles. Look at what else sold really well on the Wii. ALL of the other titles were published by Nintendo! How can that be a good sign to 3rd parties that their games are going to do well on the Wii?

I'm going to cut you off right there; barely any third parties have released software that competes with Nintendo. Until they do we can't judge how they can perform.

J-Rzez

TheGreatDave said:
Yeah, Wii selling so well will have no impact on how many quality titles it or other consoles get. It's all well and good saying "Well I prefer PS3 and 360!" Well, yeah. Who cares. The more Wii sells and the longer it sells more than those two combined the more titles it gets and less PS3/360 get.

My bad... sales will infact awaken the beast of a machine inside the Wii, it's only a matter of time for when Ninty flips the switch to the real processors in there with 8gb of ram... They'll probably enable 1080p next week after these NPD numbers... The machine is limited, and not limited like PS2/GC/Xbox power difference limited... It has a low ceiling, and is going to have to rely on quirky stuff to succeed over the course... will it have that? Guess we'll find out... I'll take the machine that has quirky stuff, just with mind melting graphics and physics to go with that fun like LbP...

And it's only natural the other two machines games are more less spread, it takes time to dev games for it because of the scope of them... While the Wii will barrel along with Ninja Bread Man 2... and then another Mario in 4 years...

fernoca

DarkMage619 said:
I want to see ONE title that was released on all platforms like Marvel Ultimate Alliance sell best on the Wii. Then and only then will I believe that more than Nintendo games can more serious numbers on their console.
That would depend more on the developer than the sales per se..
Because it wouldn't matter if the Wii have a 200 million userbase, if Madden 200X is an horrible port that looks bad and plays worse, while the other versions look and play better...what would be the point of buying the Wii version??

A better barometer would be releasing the exact same game in the 3 consoles...because for example, again using Madden as an example..many found the Wii version to be fun and cool, yet many prefered to ignore it because "waggle sucks"... and others because "it looks like a PS2 game"....

J-Rzez

AdmiralViscen said:
Wait, is someone on the last page arguing that a Ferrari is more practical than a bug?

No, it's arguing that VIDEOGAMES are not a necessity of life like autmobiles can be... VG's are a frill, a luxury... That's my arguement... When i'm buying a toy, I don't buy one that's more practical, I buy one that's more fun... and, I'd wager a Ferrari maybe more fun than a Beetle... It's a poor analogy... A Wii is not a "get you to work" type of necessity... It's not much cheaper than a 360, and it's games aren't either... unless $50-150 = $275,000 :lol

J-Rzez said:
My bad... sales will infact awaken the beast of a machine inside the Wii, it's only a matter of time for when Ninty flips the switch to the real processors in there with 8gb of ram... They'll probably enable 1080p next week after these NPD numbers... The machine is limited, and not limited like PS2/GC/Xbox power difference limited... It has a low ceiling, and is going to have to rely on quirky stuff to succeed over the course... will it have that? Guess we'll find out... I'll take the machine that has quirky stuff, just with mind melting graphics and physics to go with that fun like LbP...

And it's only natural the other two machines games are more less spread, it takes time to dev games for it because of the scope of them... While the Wii will barrel along with Ninja Bread Man 2... and then another Mario in 4 years...

I honestly have trouble following you. You still think at this point, with Wii Sports having more appeal than Gears of War, that Wii's graphics are going to be it's downfall?

P90

With #s like these, DQ is as good as exclusive to Nintendo hardware for the the next 3 to5 years. I would love for S-E to make a PE 3 for Wii.

With these sales other companies have to be taking notice. Random thoughts: Other apprpriate "niche" third party series or offshoots that would go well with the Wii would be ZOE, DMC, and NG (Rygar is coming!). And lots more RE love, like an RE/Animal Crossing hybrid. That would be mind-bending. I'd love for Itagaki to do the next Pikmin. Or the SH team doing Luigi's mansion II.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DarkMage619 said:
I am not so sure. OK RE4 does OK, but its far from being a top seller compared to Nintendo's own titles. Look at what else sold really well on the Wii. ALL of the other titles were published by Nintendo! How can that be a good sign to 3rd parties that their games are going to do well on the Wii? Thus far the Wii is doing the same thing with software that has been the trend for Nintendo for a while now and that's move Nintendo software. Sure Nintendo comes out a big winner but what about the othe developers? Unless they get bought out by Nintendo I don't see them having anything to celebrate about.

In the US, Madden sold just shy of 300,000. Call of Duty 3 250,000. Super Monkey Ball 250,000. Marvel 200k+. Tiger Woods 200k+. Trauma Center just shy of 200k (Atlus USA's best-selling game? Maybe).

Red Steel and Rayman are over a million worldwide. DBZ: PS2 PORT EXTREME 250k+ worldwide. Elebits 200k worldwide. Resident Evil 4 is set to blow away Capcom's expectations of 420k worldwide; it's currently at about 250k worldwide in only a few months.

Dragon Quest Swords is not just selling well because it's Dragon Quest; it's on pace to sell better than most of the DQ spinoffs. It will almost certainly hit a million sold worldwide.

The only flop that I'm aware of across the whole system is SSX Blur, which bombed hard. Every other game on the system so far has been either profitable or close to breakeven (Happy Feet and Ant Bully and Chicken Little all bombed hard, but the cost to port those from the 15 consoles they were already released on to the Wii probably makes them pretty much break even)

And all of this is ignoring the fact that a lot of the third party Wii software so far has been very poor quality. Name a quality game for the Wii made by a third party that has not sold well. Like I said, Blur is the only one I can think of.

That's a ****ing stupid standard; Marvel Ultimate Alliance was released for the PS2, which had literally 20 times the userbase as the Wii during the release... and still, like I mentioned, it did 200k on the Wii.

You also don't take into account the fact that Wii ports have a cost differential versus other consoles. If Marvel Alliance sold the same amount on the Wii and the 360, the developer would have profited more from the Wii version.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AltogetherAndrews said:
Meh, third parties. They will come back (if they ever leave) once these machines hit a mainstream price point. For now, we'll just have to get by on incredible first party efforts instead.

Tsc tsc. The more you guys deny reality the more it's gonna hurt later on.

Surfheart

Innotech said:
for me it definitely was. Hell I was even getting bored of Gamecube games made by nintendo. The Wii is pretty much the console Ive been wanting for at least a couple generations, watching other people move conventional controllers around in frustration as if it would make the character react faster or something. Though at the time I thought about such a system, I didnt know what motion sensing even was, only that what it would eventually become as the wii is exactly what I had wanted for a long time. So naturally Im thrilled that this thing is selling like hotcakes. Seeing something that truly breaks the mold in the gaming industry but is also mainstream is a blessing and Im very excited to see where it goes from here. I also have a feeling that minigames will not always be the order of the day. as developers get more used to programming for these sorts of controls, real games that showcase wiimote function will appear more often, as developers will have a better grasp on how to implement them besides just "it does this and this". Zack and wiki for me, is the most promising third party title that really seems to understand the controller and how it can change gaming for the better. I hope more devs go that direction and less make shitl ike Playground or Carnival Games.

I've seen the exact same thing with people trying the Wii, particularly if the game uses the nunchuck. My girlfriend for example hates any games on the Wii that requires the use of the pointer functionality, she says that the crosshair is not where she points because you really aren't pointing at the screen.

Seriously, click or flick.. I don't see the huge leap in immersiveness.
Although, having said that, RE4 certainly benefited from the pointer functionality, I still firmly feel that the motion sensing stuff is very very gimmicky right now.

Jiggy

DarkMage619 said:
Pretty sure Soul Calibur II proved that last time around, unless you want to attribute all the sales to Link. (But then, what did Mario, Luigi, and Peach do for NBA Street or SSX?)

As for this gen, I think Smackdown 2008 will be one to watch, sales-wise. If the motion controls are advertised even moderately correctly, I can see it easily outperforming other versions, especially when so much of the young wrestling fan demographic probably can't afford a PS3 or 360.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Speevy said:
Halo 3 might not hold off the Wii from certain domination, but it's going to destroy Mario, Smash, and Metroid.

It will outsell them but I wouldn't say destroy, well maybe Metroid. Smash and Mario are gonna be pretty big IMO.

It's hard to read a NPD thread, but I'm guessing this finally made the haters shut the hell up about Wii's inability to sell software right?

Also it's hilarious that NPD moved to unit sales instead of revenue with the rising of the Wii.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Cerrius said:
and how about that Mario Party? 8TH ****ING INSTALLMENT AND IT HAS OVER 400K UNITS

THIS IS MADNESS
no, no, this is Sparta, i mean bat country, i mean Nintendo Land

Norse

TheGreatDave said:
I'm going to cut you off right there; barely any third parties have released software that competes with Nintendo. Until they do we can't judge how they can perform.

you say you bought 6 of the top 10 games from june.....could you tell which ones?

CoD3 Wii was outselling the PS3 version the last time we got data for it. So was Madden in November, but I think PS3 version passed it in December.

I wouldn't be shocked if Manhunt was the first major example of Wii beating another port, but you never know with the huge PS2 userbase.

What about Trauma Center?

Son of Godzilla said:
It's hard to read a NPD thread, but I'm guessing this finally made the haters shut the hell up about Wii's inability to sell software right?

Also it's hilarious that NPD moved to unit sales instead of revenue with the rising of the Wii.

Sorry I missed the fun :(

NPD hasn't changed anything. You're thinking of Wedbush's (Pachter) or CSFB (Terry's) listings.

Evlar

Banned
DarkMage619 said:

That good games bit isn't going to fly with 3rd parties either. Sure Tenchu Z rated poorly but despite that it sold decently. The next time that developer thinks about their platform they'll surely consider the 360 first. Good and bad games are completely subjective. So what may suck to you is great for someone else. Fewer games are just that, fewer games and less games means less reasons for the masses to pick up your console.

The Dark One
I think Harry Potter will do this (meaning the Wii version will beat PS3 and 360... PS2 and DS may still win overall).

Sharp said:
Wii software is selling though. I'd venture so far as to say that the Wii has overall had considerable success in the North American region.

Yeah . . . Mario Party 8, Wii Play, and Pokemon. What a huge steaming pile of crap. RE:4 is great though.

Kaeru

Banned
Odysseus said:
personally, i just want to sit on my couch with my hands firmly resting on a controller held in my lap as i interact with a story that is playing out before me. when not doing that, i want to vegetate on something like ssx or amped or a puzzle game. i've played with the wii a couple of times and frankly it just underscored my general disinterest in the concept itself. but that's just my preference on the way i want to play games, and it doesn't cloud my perspective on the wii as it pertains to current and future trends in the industry.

Lazy bum.
Embrace the waggle, cause it's here to stay.
Or start reading books instead, your choice.

Son of Godzilla said:

The haters will continue to say that the Wii can't push 3rd party software even if the entire top 10 is made up of 3rd party wii software. Then they'll call it an anomaly and when it happens for months in a row, they'll say it's a fad, and that PS3/360 domination is just around the corner.

Son of Godzilla said:
It's hard to read a NPD thread, but I'm guessing this finally made the haters shut the hell up about Wii's inability to sell software right?.

It's ability to sell 3rd party software is still in question . . . $29.99 RE:4 coming in at the bottom of the Top 10 doesn't kill the complaint, IMHO.

Jammy

Banned
DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

Tenchu Z isn't third party... It was definitely published by Microsoft. :lol

How is RE4: Wii Edition's sales just OK? The game came out two and a half years ago, has been on GCN, PS2, and PC, and sold 150,000 in just TEN days. It's surpassing Capcom's expectations by quite a bit (450,000 worldwide), which is way more than you can say for Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden Sigma (who shipped half a million worldwide only to sell this little).

You have a port of Tiger Woods on Wii that sold as good as the 360 version and shattered the PS3 version, despite not being out for the holiday season like the other versions.

Sonic and the Secret Rings sold twice as well as Sonic and the Hedgehog (360/PS3) did combined worldwide.

Both Red Steel and Rayman: RR are million sellers worldwide. There are only two PS3 million sellers worldwide and both of them are... guess what... FIRST PARTY.

Call of Duty 3, Marvel: UA, The Bigs, Harry Potter, you name it... all sold better than their PS3 versions and a few of them hold their own against their 360 ones.

Trauma Center Wii was Atlus' most successful game in the U.S.! And these games take nowhere near the amount of development time and money on Wii than they do elsewhere.

Kaeru

Banned
speculawyer said:
It's ability to sell 3rd party software is still in question . . . $29.99 RE:4 coming in at the bottom of the Top 10 doesn't kill the complaint, IMHO.

How many PS3 3rd partys were in the top 20?

speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . Mario Party 8, Wii Play, and Pokemon. What a huge steaming pile of crap. RE:4 is great though.

Calling Pokemon crap is just retarded. I mean, it has a 10,000 post + thread here, it's sold millions and millions, it always gets great reviews...you risk coming off as a shitty "I only play mature games!" gamer.

Top Bottom