• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

iamvin22

Industry Verified
And since we don't have any Nintendo PR, I thought I'd celebrate with some depressing news.

Highest selling Wii U game this month:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 84K

w1Zb50H.gif

Tiktaalik

It's interesting because we actually hear a lot about how Vita customers are really, really good customers and are really engaged with the platform. I can't imagine that's enough to make up for the poor Vita sales however.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Yup. Look how expensive that ecosystem was. Look how closed and controlled it was. There was no real competition. The PSP forced Nintendo to look at things they didn't care about, graphics, online, whatever. And it was still so fragile that mobile can come in SO quickly with an open system, low pricing, and totally disrupt their empire. I can't wait to see what Nintendo does next i n his space. Hell I'm losing money on that platform but as a gamer, bring on competition and innovation!

Edit:

I'm not replying to anyone trying to spin my conversation into a console wars debate. Why assume I'm talking about any one platform? I've said a million times over 8+ years that I want a diverse, open, competitive and successful industry. Do I touch my Xbox one? Rarely. Do I want it to sell? Of course. Rising tide raises all ships.

You must be new here. This parity BS you're spouting has been thoroughly debunked (by a mod no less lol).

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
What you talkin about? The explosions are the best part. Makes for entertaining posting. Plus some of the best image edits come from them.

Makes me wonder though. If it wasn't for Titanfall, what would the XBone's numbers be? Although the PS4 has been behind the XBone since its launch in terms of attach rate, it's been slowly getting closer and closer to the XBone's. TF helped the XBone get a bit of a gap, but that gap doesn't seem as big as it should be for something that was supposed to be that system's "killer app".

20% is a pretty big gap. It will likely close up when GWG launches on XB1.

I think MS are now going to be forced to give stuff away for free to sell more hardware, even though they are selling more games. It's meant to be the other way around.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You must be new here. This parity BS you're spouting has been thoroughly debunked (by a mod no less lol).

Challange all assumptions my friend.
One man's failure is often another's success.

All I try and do is provide perspective and offer debate.
Take it as you will.

Lumyst

If that was Y2Kev's post from a while back that you're thinking of, from what I remember, that post was about how championing "sales parity" as the ultimate result of good competition was a flawed view to have.

So even with all the official/unofficial price cuts on bundles, the X1 still couldn't manage to outsell the PS4.

Can't begin to imagine how bad things might look if there hadn't been any price cuts.

Where does MS to from here? The price cut doesn't seem to have given them much of a sales boost. How are they going to convince people that the X1 is a good value proposition when compared to the PS4. Will bundling one or more game do the trick?

Time to do something really drastic and offer a console, two games and a one year gold sub for $449/$399?

I'm not replying to anyone trying to spin my conversation into a console wars debate. Why assume I'm talking about any one platform? I've said a million times over 8+ years that I want a diverse, open, competitive and successful industry.
All those things are possible, however, even if one platform is selling far better than the rest. Unbalanced sales levels do not necessarily signal a lack of competition.

Oh gee please let me know who these experts are I would love to bathe in their knowledge.
John Harker is one such expert. Feel free to disagree with him (I do!), but don't dismiss him as uninformed.

Shiggy

The Wii U is on a run as of lately. Despite fewer new releases and a higher price point, it outsold its direct competitor, the PS3. Those who said the Wii U is a flop should think about it once again!

Andvary

This is a great win for Sony and the best thing is that they didn't have to show or announce anything new to keep the momentum going, so they will have a lot of ammo for this coming E3.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
My honest gut feeling as for Xbox One total sales to customers tells me around 4.4 million.. just shy of 4.5 million ...and not one unit more than that.

That's my best guess on the true sold-to-customers MS has with X1, With Sony's 7+ million sold going against it.

For that to be the case, MS has to sell 50% or higher of monthly NPD numbers internationally. People think that is extremely unlikely.

So even with all the official/unofficial price cuts on bundles, the X1 still couldn't manage to outsell the PS4.

Can't begin to imagine how bad things might look if there hadn't been any price cuts.

Where does MS to from here? The price cut doesn't seem to have given them much of a sales boost. How are they going to convince people that the X1 is a good value proposition when compared to the PS4. Will bundling one or more game do the trick?

Time to do something really drastic and offer a console, two games and a one year gold sub for $449/$399?

In the XB1 shipped 5 million to retailers thread, some of the calculations [rough as they are] suggest XB1 WW LTD might be sub-4M :\

Biker19

Banned
In all fairness, the leadership at Sony that said people should get 2 jobs to pay for the PS3 is long gone.

This. Ken Kutaragi & the rest who were behind the PS3 are no longer in charge now.

There was a lot of competition in the ps1 era.
It was because of the success of the platform - and the crazy innovation Sony brought to the table coming off the mistakes of so many players, that they sold so well over that cycle. Which is exactly my point.

Huh? Sony railroaded both Sega & Nintendo during that era.

jnWake

Is the MGSV number good? I know it's a special case because of the length but it was also cheaper. It seems low for such a big franchise and 4 consoles (and people making a big deal of DK's second month being 84k).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yup. Look how expensive that ecosystem was. Look how closed and controlled it was. There was no real competition. The PSP forced Nintendo to look at things they didn't care about, graphics, online, whatever. And it was still so fragile that mobile can come in SO quickly with an open system, low pricing, and totally disrupt their empire. I can't wait to see what Nintendo does next i n his space. Hell I'm losing money on that platform but as a gamer, bring on competition and innovation!
I actually think Nintendo will do something interesting next-gen for the 3DS successor thanks to mobile. Whether it works or not is a different story, but I really think they will do something interesting.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
All those things are possible, however, even if one platform is selling far better than the rest. Unbalanced sales levels do not necessarily signal a lack of competition.

A lot of people quoted me, I was just saying I wouldn't reply to system wars bait. My entire point was simply against a "one console future" as something consumers should WANT. It's bad long term.

I don't care about sales parity.
I care about profitable ecosystems that are segmemted, targetable, offers differentiation, and monetizable. That way lots of different content can be developed and tested in given segments for success. If a console sells 50MM and another 30mm, and I can release a shooter on one and a platformer on the other and both make money, how is that not great for everyone? I can diversify and spread my risk, and consumers get more genres targeted to their interest because its easier for Me to find You.

If you had one box and it was 80mm, my shooter has to compete against s million shooters. Oh look never mind, I'm done

Man this is way more than I usually post on a subject.

Screw it I'm a thousand posts behind, I give up

Titanfall seems to have sold very very well if I'm reading the situation right

ISS did almost exactly as I predicted. Still great numbers for Sucker Punch

Dark Souls numbers are a bit disappointing I think, can't remember Dark Souls I numbers

Stick of truth did really really well though, also suggests 440k < ISS < 500k

Wii U is moving into dead place, Vita into being buried under dreamcasts shallow grave at this rate

I can only speak for myself, but I don't own a 360 or a PS3, so I'm waiting for April 25th for the PC release of Dark Souls 2.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The Wii U being up (slightly) is actually kind of interesting.

Wii U games that released in March 2013:
The Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition
Lego City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Wii U release schedule March 2014
Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts

DKC did more than folks are giving credit to it imo.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't own a 360 or a PS3, so I'm waiting for April 25th for the PC release of Dark Souls 2.

Yeah PC version should definitely help :)

Especially as Durante seems to indicate it's a good port. Wonder if they'll be next gen ports too. Probably not I suppose

Do you think the numbers will ever be revealed or nah?

Well it sold less than MGSVGZ which sold 278k

So it's probably a good chunk below that

A_Gorilla

Banned
If that was Y2Kev's post from a while back that you're thinking of, from what I remember, that post was about how championing "sales parity" as the ultimate result of good competition was a flawed view to have.

I think that's the one, I've been looking everywhere for it.

Well, it's not THAT awful for the WiiU, hw-wise. But yeah, nothing to brag about, really.

Being completely unable to significantly grow the console's fortunes with an entire year worth of software added to its library is pretty damning.

Wii U is only up 3% compared to last year this month. That's quite terrible news, given its March 2013 results were universally panned.

PhatSaqs

Banned
A lot of people quoted me, I was just saying I wouldn't reply to system wars bait. My entire point was simply against a "one console future" as something consumers should WANT. It's bad long term.

I don't care about sales parity.
I care about profitable ecosystems that are segmemted, targetable, offers differentiation, and monetizable. That way lots of different content can be developed and tested in given segments for success. If a console sells 50MM and another 30mm, and I can release a shooter on one and a platformer on the other and both make money, how is that not great for everyone? I can diversify and spread my risk, and consumers get more genres targeted to their interest because its easier for Me to find You.

If you had one box and it was 80mm, my shooter has to compete against s million shooters. Oh look never mind, I'm done

Man this is way more than I usually post on a subject.
You are making excellent points tho. Good stuff.

Being completely unable to significantly grow the console's fortunes with an entire year worth of software added to its library is pretty damning.

Wii U is only up 3% compared to last year this month. That's quite terrible news, given its March 2013 results were universally panned.

Did we ever compare it to Dreamcast sales yet in this thread?

It's console that get's bigger retail game once every two-three months - selling 70k is testament to how strong Nintendo brand is in USA.

Top Bottom