• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

tanod said:
If the U.S. market was the basis for the PS3's situation, then one could look at PS3's performance in 2007 vs. 360's performance in 2006 and see that it is likely to have a very healthy year of HW sales in 2008.

I don't think any publisher should be changing their development plans at this point.
Even if this would be the case, it would also mean, the 360 will always be 1 year in advantage of the PS3. Yeah the PS3 will sell better, but so will the competition. This way Sony will never get pass the 360. Being on par is not enough, thats probably the biggest problem for the PS3. The PS3 is selling good, but as said, it's not enough, unless you want to stay the third place and loose a big amount of market share compared to the last two generations.

Lefty42o

Banned
Raist said:
No, but I have a hard time believing that the "but there are those consoles coming in one year" factor can affect a given system's sales more than having two competitors, one insanely cheaper, the other being cheaper and already having a decent amount of games.

than you totally missed 2006 :lol xbox 360 was battling the ps2 and the perception of the ps3 . we are talking bout the market the xbox and ps3 cater to right now which is diff than what the wii caters too.

the market was in a wait and see mode and most fo 360 sales were to xbox guys moving over. the hardcore base that gave the xbox any life last gen. But for most hardcore and more than causal gamers the ps3 might have already been on the market. not to mention the great e3 05 sony conference showing all these cgi vs xbox launch gameplay. the market was confused and influx.

once e3 2006 hit and sony said 499/599 the market changed. the 360 had the advantage of price and games. sony started to become a laughing stock if you will and the 360 has gained momentum ever since. the market was no longer cloudy. every one had shown their hand.

throw on top of that the fact ms never dipped below 100,00 and was steayd close to or above 200,00 month in month in 2006 shows you can not go by those sells to say the ps3 will have a 2007 360 type of year. it hit below 100k a few months. it becaome how low can it go. it was being outsold by the gba of all things.

next sony has had to introduce new models, slash prices just to stay competitive. not surpass ms's 2006 but just stay in its shadow.

i just don't see how you can compare xbox 2006 vs ps3 2007 to forecast 2008. and thats not even looking at software sells of xbox 2006 vs ps3 2007. which makes it look even worse for sony going forward in the eyes of devs and publishers.

once again must mention the wii is in a diff league and running away with first place. :D

Lefty42o

Banned
pr0cs said:
You're not honestly comparing something like Mario that has a decade+ of history, fanbase and nostalgia attached to it against something like Eternal Sonata and Brue Dragon are you? Cos that would be silly.

You can bet your ass that if Mario was available on the 360 it would sell like fucking insane.

that comment from him made me bust out laughing :lol

Hellraizer said:
Even if this would be the case, it would also mean, the 360 will always be 1 year in advantage of the PS3. Yeah the PS3 will sell better, but so will the competition. This way Sony will never get pass the 360. Being on par is not enough, thats probably the biggest problem for the PS3. The PS3 is selling good, but as said, it's not enough, unless you want to stay the third place and loose a big amount of market share compared to the last two generations.

not to mention sony had to slash the price twice to maintain that. while ms was s like here take 50 off and hey why not increase the price with a new sku. and the core here we rename it arcade pack there ya go :lol

Neomoto

Wow, incredible month. Terrific numbers all around, both hardware as software. Shame a number of great games bombed (Uncharted, Z&W).

jarrod

Banned
There's been quite a few notable JP made success stories on 360... granted a lot of it's stuff more geared to western tastes (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DOA4, PES6, etc) but there's still some suprisies in there (Chrome Hounds being a good example). Yeah, the stock quirky JRPG market hasn't really taken hold, but that looks headed wholesale to DS anyway.

Crucifying 360 because Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata floundered seems a bit lopsided imo when stuff like Folklore or Fire Emblem isn't really doing any better.

xbhaskarx

Guitar Hero III LTD
360 858k
PS3 106k

Rock Band
360 312k
PS3 70k

PS3 Uncharted 117k
PS3 Ratchet & Clank 66k

PS3 owners hate music and exclusives confirmed.

Edit: changed "third party exclusives" to "exclusives"

Lefty42o said:
that comment from him made me bust out laughing :lol

not to mention sony had to slash the price twice to maintain that. while ms was s like here take 50 off and hey why not increase the price with a new sku. and the core here we rename it arcade pack there ya go :lol

Dear Junior, can you just stop for a moment. I'm fed up with your comments. Take a breath and come back later. we heard your points. Now enough.

FF_VIII

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Guitar Hero III LTD
360 858k
PS3 106k

Rock Band
360 312k
PS3 70k

PS3 Uncharted 117k
PS3 Ratchet & Clank 66k

PS3 owners hate music and third party exclusives confirmed.

Wait, so 360 sold an extra 500k?

Why isn't it in the top 20?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
xbhaskarx said:
Guitar Hero III LTD
360 858k
PS3 106k

Rock Band
360 312k
PS3 70k

PS3 Uncharted 117k
PS3 Ratchet & Clank 66k

PS3 owners hate music and third party exclusives confirmed.

Those are first party exclusives

GhaleonEB

Lefty42o said:
It will be very interesting to see how the PS3 trends into December. It got a nearly 4x bump, some from the price cut, some from the holidays. I'm curious to see how much of it carries over.

xbhaskarx

FF_VIII said:

GH3? No, 367,200. I assume it is in the top 20, but it's not in the top 10.

Edit: that is total sales, so the sum of the sales for each 360 version.

donny2112

http://www.gametap.com/home/read/article/2445

Reggie said:
The fact is this, we sold over six million pieces of software for the Wii system during the month of November. If you look at it strictly on that month basis, that's over a six to one attach. Which is very, very strong.

The level of sell through of software, pushed up our overall attach rate to above the level of PS2 at the same time in its life cycle.

I am surprised the Wii has a higher attach rate than the PS2 at the same point in its life. Very surprised. At this point in the PS2's life, it had just launched GTAIII.

Edit:
Reggie said:
In terms of software tie ratio, as I touched on earlier, if you focus in simply on the month of November, while we sold almost a million units of hardware, we sold over 6 million units of software. So, just for the month that's over a 6 to 1 attach rate. Up to the month of November, life to date, we are at about a 6.4 attach rate.

Maybe not, then. sonycowboy posted a < 4 tie ratio for Wii, so Reggie might not be referring directly to an NPD tie ratio.

GhaleonEB

Loudninja said:
It feels like once, but there were technically two cuts:

Drop the 60GB from $600 to $500
Drop the 80GB from $600 to $500
Introduce the 40 GB for $400

The first doubled sales in July, though it trended right back down from there.

Edit: dammit, you edited. :lol

xbhaskarx

AltogetherAndrews said:
Exclusives can do perfectly fine, but apparently not on PS3. Why? Because PS3 owners suck shit. The overwhelming majority of them at that.

I guess comments like this are considered acceptable if they're from a Sony fanboy? :lol

909er

FF_VIII said:

You're forgetting that the standalone version of GH3 was on sale too last month. Together, October GH3 for 360 was close to 500k.

[Nintex]

xbhaskarx said:
PS3 Uncharted 117k
PS3 Ratchet & Clank 66k
Hadn't seen those, that's just pathetic considering the dev costs. Even with the Gamecube Nintendo was certain of 500k in software sales or more that and the warchest, GBA, Pokemon kept them alive last generation. Sony keeps talking about the "playstation" brand, but if seems that they left everthing behind that made the PS2/PS1 succesfull.

Brak

GhaleonEB said:
It will be very interesting to see how the PS3 trends into December. It got a nearly 4x bump, some from the price cut, some from the holidays. I'm curious to see how much of it carries over.
I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 was basically flat month-over-month on weekly sales. I think 150k a week would be the absolute best-case scenario. Sure with the extra week that's 750k for the month, but it's basically another terrible month.

Worst-case scenario could get really ugly.

909er

Brak said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 was basically flat month-over-month on weekly sales. I really can't see them doing much more than 150k a week. Sure with the extra week that's 750k for the month, but it's basically another terrible month.

Worst-case scenario could get really ugly.

One thing I just thought about is how the price drop will affect December sales. The early drop in November raised PS3 sales by quite a bit, but if that price drop was like the other PS3 drops, sales could dip even lower in December.

michaeld said:
Bu Bu bu bu just wait until_______________!

segata.jpg

Brak

909er said:
One thing I just thought about is how the price drop will affect December sales. The early drop in November raised PS3 sales by quite a bit, but if that price drop was like the other PS3 drops, sales could dip even lower in December.
For total sales, I think it's pretty unlikely that the PS3 does worse in December than November just due to the extra week. Although I think there is a possibility that weekly sales could be lower than in November.

It's hard to say how much the Christmas boost will offset the waning of the pricedrop boost.

xbhaskarx

I think the November NPD pretty much settles three things:
(1) it is highly unlikely the PS3 will pass the 360 in America and given the importance of the US market (2) the vast majority of 360/PS3 multiplatform games will have the 360 as the lead platform and be ported to the PS3, and (3) those hardcore gamers who own both consoles will continue to choose the 360 versions.

Doodis

GhaleonEB said:
We just got these results less than 24 hours ago and I'm already looking forward to how things shake down for December. Guess I better play some games between now and then to pass the time.

I'd buying a PS3 this christmas and the only games I'm buying are Ratchet and Uncharted.
What are PS3 owners doing?! The two best games on the system this year and they don't buy them? UGH.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DevelopmentArrested said:
I'd buying a PS3 this christmas and the only games I'm buying are Ratchet and Uncharted.
What are PS3 owners doing?! The two best games on the system this year and they don't buy them? UGH.

What I've been playing and enjoying: Calling All Cars, SSHD, PES2008, MNG5, Resistance. But yeah, my home playtime basically goes: PC>>>360>>PS3>Wii.

TunaLover

cedric69 said:
I wonder who's gonna have the balls to bring again the whole "PS3 must be the target platform" bullshit to the table, now.

Square-Enix, they develop for just for love to its art, and they hate money.

knitoe

I wouldn't be surpise most of PS3 owners are X360 owners too. Just so you know, I bought Uncharted. It's still unopened since I am way too busy with X360 games, Halo 3, COD4, Ass Creed and Mass Erect (GOTY).

No, but I have a hard time believing that the "but there are those consoles coming in one year" factor can affect a given system's sales more than having two competitors, one insanely cheaper, the other being cheaper and already having a decent amount of games.

Just ask Sega how much the 'competitor' coming next year could hurt a console. It damn near buried the DC. Not to mention in the PS2 days the DC was cheaper, had better and more games for a while, and the PS2 beat the Christ out of it.

Things aren't the same now, to be sure, MS has deeper pockets than Sega did, but the PS3 mystique did haunt Microsoft for a good portion of 2006, it wasn't really until E3 that the spell was broken.

Request for some numbers that I haven't seen thus far:

VF5 X360

Gears of War PC

and does anyone have the Bioshock PC LTDs and UT2004 LTDs?

The last three I'm asking for because I am damn curious at how UT3 could only sell 27k in November when the series has been known to be a pretty heavy hitter in the PC space? Are PC games just not selling at all anymore? What's the story? I Know piracy is an issue, but it always has been, nothing should have particularly changed recently to have made things any worse now as opposed to say a year ago. If PC games aren't selling at all then Bioshocks LTDs must be low, and GeoW should be damned near abysmal.

I guess I just want to know if ANYTHING is selling on PCs other than MMOs.

oneHeero

Unfortunately, no matter how much some of us want to, we cant always buy the newest game.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Exclusives can do perfectly fine, but apparently not on PS3. Why? Because PS3 owners suck shit. The overwhelming majority of them at that.
Well, that's assuming that people with the other platforms would have bought enough of the titles in question if they had had the chance. You could say marketing failed to work well, or that the userbase isn't interested in games nearly as much as its competition...which can be pretty strong arguments with a year of data to back up with, IMO. But I think it's mostly that these games just aren't strongly desired by gamers right now. Whether that's because of disinterest in the themes presented or indifference to the gameplay, I don't know. Gamers, like moviegoers and music fans are fickle. Just because you throw a lot of money at something and it's polished up with big-time production values and a big marketing campaign doesn't mean people will just be compelled to want it.

D3MO

Banned
It's not PS3's hardware sales that bother me...its still the most expensive console...I doubt many people are buying the $399 model...w/ the $499 clearley being superior.

Its the software that bothers me.

3rd Party devs have lots of thinking to do over the next couple of months.

I think the age of the PS3 3rd party exclusieves are over...

How many PS3 3rd party games have sold over 500,000? loweredexpactations.jpg

Uncooked

Banned
natureman3 said:
Dear Junior, can you just stop for a moment. I'm fed up with your comments. Take a breath and come back later. we heard your points. Now enough.

Maybe next time just tell him his points were better than yours, concede defeat, and take a break yourself. You might come off looking like less of a jerk.

Forgive me if I don't want to wade through 52 pages of "WOWOWO Wii omfg PS3 :lol :lol :lol" but can someone just post all the sub-top 10 software we have?

WinFonda

Hellraizer said:
Even if this would be the case, it would also mean, the 360 will always be 1 year in advantage of the PS3. Yeah the PS3 will sell better, but so will the competition. This way Sony will never get pass the 360.
The problem with that is that you assume a continuation of the same growth patterns. And so it's a bit like saying, "Well yeah Sony can have an incredible 2008 and blow the doors off the NA market but it won't matter because Microsoft will continue to sell better in relation"

And that really isn't likely. If one HD console is leading, the other is following.

ccbfan

Until FF13 comes out, jrpgs are going to continue getting screwed.

The launch of a main FF is like the launch of next gen for jrpg fans in western markets. Until that happens jrpgs are going to be ignored.

Top Bottom