• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
xbhaskarx said:
Question: So what will happen with Crysis? Will it get ported to 360/PS3?

I could see this happening, but with how shitty Crysis has sold, I imagine they would need a publisher (EA?) to float their studio costs and publish the game in order to make the port happen.

Personally, I hope it happens. Although I won't upgrade my PC just to play Crysis, I still want to experience this game nonetheless.

Amused_To_Death said:
Who said sports games don't sell on the Wii?

Aside from Tiger's sales, those are pretty lousy for the best selling baseball and football game on a console in North America.

Zerachiel said:
Put it this way. Would MoH2's numbers be shocking if it were on the 360?

I don't think so. So why is the Wii being held to a higher standard?

Airborne sold a lot better on 360, with much more competition in the genre.

Zerachiel

squicken said:
Wii owners run around defending 3rd party sales saying that they don't sell b/c they are of poor quality. That game had 32 player MP support on dedicated servers, supposedly great Wii-Mote implementation, and reviewed fairly well. Yet it sold crap. The hard-core Nintendo fan only buys Nintendo published games and RE games, and the casuals just buy the party games. That's the landscape for Wii owners.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Zerachiel said:

after call of duty three on wii, red steel, and medal of honor vanguard.... you expect people to regain faith in fps on wii with a title that has a 2 in its name?

seriously....

amtentori said:
after call of duty three on wii, red steel, and medal of honor vanguard.... you expect people to regain faith in fps on wii with a title that has a 2 in its name?

seriously....
At the end of the day, it IS still a PSP port, ya know?

Jokeropia

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Aside from Tiger's sales, those are pretty lousy for the best selling baseball and football game on a console in North America.
The biggest baseball franchise is Major League Baseball 2k is it not? (Even so, Major League Baseball 2k6 did not break 300k on the 360.) Wii will get it's first installment with Major League Baseball 2k8.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, comparing US Wii sales to US Cube sales, franchise-wise, based on mostly complete GCN data as of mid-2006, partially-complete GCN data as of end of 2006, and around 60% of all Wii sales data including those IGN LTDs:

Good news for Wii; Minimum 20 titles currently at or over 300k.
Paper Mario Wii is about to pass Paper Mario GCN. Mario Party 8 has outsold all four GCN installments. Twilight Princess Wii is very close to Wind Waker GCN. RE4, despite being a port, is around 2/3rds of RE4GCN, around 4/5ths of REMake. Sonic Wii doing substantially better than what I have of Sonic 360/PS3, above Sonic Riders Cube. Fire Emblem at 1/3rd of Cube lifetime sales in only one month. Galaxy at almost half of Sunshine's lifetime sales. Wii Play will pass SSBM in terms of lifetime sales next month. No first party bombas like Chibi-Robo or Odama yet.

Could be bad news for Wii; Cube currently has minimum 90 titles at or over 300k.
Monkey Ball Wii is substantially below the first two GCN games. Metroid Prime will likely overtake Echoes, but it's well below Prime and a fair amount below Echoes right now. Mario Strikers Charged is at around 60% of Mario Strikers GCN. Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam is substantially lower than any of the four GCN Tony Hawk games, but part of that could be franchise decline and the shitty quality of THDJ. SSX Blur around one third of SSX Tricky. Sonic still substantially below SA2/SA/SH/Shadow. Pokemon BR bomba bigtime.

Zerachiel

Zzoram said:
only CoD4 and AC sold in line with hardware.

PS3 exclusives tank compare to 360 exclusives, and off the top 10, things skew towards 360 more if Rock Band 311K 360 and 70K PS3 are any indication.

Not entirely the case. Uncharted had a fairly similar attach rate to Mass Effect this month (4.7% for Uncharted vs. 6.0% for ME).

Of course, this isn't going to be any consolation to Naughty Dog, and it certainly isn't going to convince any third-parties to put their stuff on the PS3. But it does show that PS3 owners tend to pick up their high-profile titles at about the same frequency as 360 owners do. I personally find it more believable that Uncharted is at Mass Effect-level of appeal, instead of CoD4 or AC.

Stumpokapow said:
Monkey Ball Wii is substantially below the first two GCN games. Metroid Prime will likely overtake Echoes, but it's well below Prime and a fair amount below Echoes right now. Mario Strikers Charged is at around 60% of Mario Strikers GCN. Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam is substantially lower than any of the four GCN Tony Hawk games, but part of that could be franchise decline and the shitty quality of THDJ. SSX Blur around one third of SSX Tricky. Sonic still substantially below SA2/SA/SH/Shadow. Pokemon BR bomba bigtime.
But everyone of those you listed have reasons why they are lower:

Monkey Ball was medicore, Corruption was coming off the bad pans of Echoes, Charged felt too much the same and too soon, Tony Hawk has been shit, SSX Blur was just 3 + On Tour remixed, Sonic had still controls and confusing "plot", and Pokemon was just a lame quick cash-in like the first Stadium on N64.

There are always reasons why something sells lower (or higher).

Knowing the reasons can help us understand market conditions, developer effort, how to fix what to ensure that it won't sell lower next time.

It does not, however, change the fact that they did sell lower, which, naturally, discourages further development. Alternatively it could give the developers the 'One more shot at it' mentality, but given the large investments needed, sequels will get churned out as more of a matter of rote than anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
The real question is how many of those were over 300K after November 2002.

Well, there are all sorts of comparisons that could be done; software sales at similar hardware levels, software sales at similar points from launch, software sales compared to competition... the list goes on.

Since I lost most of my NPD data in a hard-drive crash and recovering it has been difficult due to the unavailability of leaks, all I go on is what I've got, which are LTDs for everything as of April and many things as of September 2006.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
The real question is how many of those were over 300K after November 2002.

Edit:
:lol :lol :lol

I just realized that Wii Play will likely pass up Super Smash Bros. Melee in December.

Edit2:
And Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :lol

Zerachiel said:
Not entirely the case. Uncharted had a fairly similar attach rate to Mass Effect this month (4.7% for Uncharted vs. 6.0% for ME).

Of course, this isn't going to be any consolation to Naughty Dog, and it certainly isn't going to convince any third-parties to put their stuff on the PS3. But it does show that PS3 owners tend to pick up their high-profile titles at about the same frequency as 360 owners do. I personally find it more believable that Uncharted is at Mass Effect-level of appeal, instead of CoD4 or AC.

Like I pointed out earlier, the big difference is that Mass Effect would've probably sold similar numbers if it had come out a year earlier, judging by the way that 360 owners have historically purchased big games. It also appears to have fairly solid legs going into December, which should push the sales up to 800k or so for the year.

Regardless, they were both big budget titles and one has sold over a million worldwide in less than a month while the other will be lucky to see a million in its lifetime. One will likely be a financial success while the other is likely to be a financial failure. There's no way to spin that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:

Edit:
:lol :lol :lol

I just realized that Wii Play will likely pass up Super Smash Bros. Melee in December.

Edit2:
And Zelda: Ocarina of Time. :lol

Low blow, time out =(

boiled goose

good with gravy
What is clear is that wii is not gamecube at all. The same rules do not apply. Wii has the signs of a winning console with great sales compared to gamecube. I cant believe mario galaxy has sold so much compared to sunshine's first five months. Even franchises like FE are doing well. The only one that isnt up to par is metroid... b ut we know who is to blame...

I think zack and wiki will have better legs than people think... selling around 10k for a long time instead of disappearing off the charts... why? because wii is selling

donny2112

amtentori said:
The only one that isnt up to par is metroid... b ut we know who is to blame...

Metroid Prime 3 should pull ahead of Metroid Prime 2, at the same point in its lifespan, after December, but that's still not a lot to cheer about. :/

amtentori said:
I think zack and wiki will have better legs than people think... selling around 10k for a long time instead of disappearing off the charts... why? because wii is selling

The developer is not Nintendo, though. With the GameCube, at least, Nintendo kept their own games in stock for most of its lifespan, so the sales kept coming. Third-parties didn't, and I expect Zack & Wiki to follow suit. < 100K total is almost a certainty.

HK-47 said:
Low blow, time out =(

I just found it interesting. I love all three of those games. :D

Brannon said:
In fact, you could say that "Gamecube Turbo" is no longer an insult...

Nintendo: We turboized the console and the software sales!

:lol

I don't really see the Uncharted versus Mass Effect comparisons. Uncharted should have more mainstream appeal and ideally would be the 'Gears of War' for PS3. Like Uncharted, Gears came out a year after system launch and targed a broad audience. It looks like Uncharted will be incredibly lucky to sell 1/5 as well as Gears, though. 1/10 as well seems more likely.

Still, a million worldwide in three weeks for Mass Effect is good no matter how you look at it. If it has half the legs of Oblivion, it still has a lot of sales ahead.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I don't really see the Uncharted versus Mass Effect comparisons. Uncharted should have more mainstream appeal and ideally would be the 'Gears of War' for PS3. Like Uncharted, Gears came out a year after system launch and targed a broad audience. It looks like Uncharted will be incredibly lucky to sell 1/5 as well as Gears, though. 1/10 as well seems more likely.

Still, a million worldwide in three weeks for Mass Effect is good no matter how you look at it. If it has half the legs of Oblivion, it still has a lot of sales ahead.

If it doesnt drop too much in sales next month it could get very close to Oblivion's LTD...isnt it like 1.5 million or something

HK-47 said:
If it doesnt drop too much in sales next month it could get very close to Oblivion's LTD...isnt it like 1.5 million or something

I'm really just talking about how Oblivion had good legs and didn't have the sales plummet overnight like some 'flavor of the month' games, I'm not directly comparing unit sales between the two titles.

Deku

Banned
amtentori said:

A lot of games are unappreciated (if such thing can be said). I recall being puzzled as to why EA never followed up the Sims 2 on the PSP, which ran a rather nice looking PS2 port.

The surprise of course is the DS version had an LTD of 400+k most of it done outside the radar of Top 10-centric NPD software discussions.

I'm not saying TIZ is going to do those numbers, but DS software in particular get overlooked for having strong legs because they're never in the very limited charts we get and even if we did get top 30s a lot of titles we not recognized for such performances.

jarrod

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Even Power Pros? C'mon... given the context, I doubt anyone expected both versions combined to move 80k, much less just the Wii release alone...

Jirotrom said:
theres also over 100 million ps2s out there... I don't know how many there are in the US alone though.

Well, there are also nearly 100 million PS1's out there, but it's been retired by both publishers and consumers. I was just pointing out that the PS2 hasn't yet given up its crown to the newcomers, since it's nearly matching their combined sales. For Guitar Hero, anyway. Next Christmas, the PS2 should get slaughtered on all fronts by the new systems, even at (presumably) $99. But this year, it's still a contender.

Cruceh

Banned
Raw64life said:
Some other LTD numbers from the IGN Wii podcast...

WII WARIO WARE: SMOOTH MOVES - ~600K
WII RED STEEL - ~390K
WII TRAUMA CENTER: SECOND OPINION - ~210K
WII DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - ~165K
WII GT PRO SERIES - ~110K
WII HAPPY FEET - ~90K

NDS DRAWN TO LIFE ~200K

...and they also said that Hannah Montana DS is at "almost a million".
Wow, Drawn to Life sold unexpectedly well. Jackson must be happy.

Slavik81

AlphaTwo00 said:
But everyone of those you listed have reasons why they are lower:

Monkey Ball was medicore, Corruption was coming off the bad pans of Echoes, Charged felt too much the same and too soon, Tony Hawk has been shit, SSX Blur was just 3 + On Tour remixed, Sonic had still controls and confusing "plot", and Pokemon was just a lame quick cash-in like the first Stadium on N64.
Sonic actually did pretty well. As did MP3: Corruption.

johnsmith

remember me
squicken said:
Or Zack and Wiki. Or any other quality 3rd party game from that list. Take your pick. Besides RE games, no non-party, non-Nintendo games sell.

Yeah, and I'm sure it would have moved a million if it was on the x360, right?

Zerachiel

dammitmattt said:
Like I pointed out earlier, the big difference is that Mass Effect would've probably sold similar numbers if it had come out a year earlier, judging by the way that 360 owners have historically purchased big games. It also appears to have fairly solid legs going into December, which should push the sales up to 800k or so for the year.

Regardless, they were both big budget titles and one has sold over a million worldwide in less than a month while the other will be lucky to see a million in its lifetime. One will likely be a financial success while the other is likely to be a financial failure. There's no way to spin that.

Definitely, which is why I siad, "this is probably no consolation to Naughty Dog." I'm just pointing out that everyone deriding the PS3 fanbase for not buying games- it's simply not the case, they're buying their games in about the same amount as 360 owners, it's just that there's less of them/

Zerachiel said:
Definitely, which is why I siad, "this is probably no consolation to Naughty Dog." I'm just pointing out that everyone deriding the PS3 fanbase for not buying games- it's simply not the case, they're buying their games in about the same amount as 360 owners, it's just that there's less of them/

What game attached for PS3 in its second holiday season like Gears did in the 360's second holiday season?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mariah Carey said:
Do we have a GC number for this as well?

It was slightly ahead of TP Wii during the first few months. I have no 2007 sales data for it, but it's likely that it's somewhat behind TP Wii in 2007. We know it's above ~1.1 million. I'd guess 1.3-1.5 million.

MisterHero

Brannon said:
In fact, you could say that "Gamecube Turbo" is no longer an insult...
It's not Gamecube Turbo, it's TURBOCUBE!!!

Only the hottest-selling Christmas toy ever, duh.

TurboCube-1.jpg

kinggroin

Banned
Nintendo targeted the casual gamers (the type to buy 2-3 games a year), why is it a surprise to anyone that software sales are what they are for this platform (read: not 360 level).

The Wii audience seems to be made up of a majority of casual gamers, followed by a decent amount of Nintendo loyalists, then a small amount of hardcore (who probably oen a 360/PS3 as well).

DiddyBop

Crysis has to be ported to the 360/ps3. makes no sense to keep it a PC exclusive. it wont sell more than 300,000. zack and wiki would also benefit from a DS port.

Jokeropia

kinggroin said:
Nintendo targeted the casual gamers (the type to buy 2-3 games a year), why is it a surprise to anyone that software sales are what they are for this platform (read: not 360 level).
The total amount of software sold for Wii is higher than it was for 360 at this point, thanks to the larger installed base. (Obviously 360 had and has a better tie-ratio.)

Top Bottom