• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Zerachiel

Lefty42o said:
next on exclusives with the landscape shaping up ms could throw a couple bucks(no longer 50 million like in the case of gtaIV) cause the market has shown the 360 is a viable market for software and porting a pc game to 360 and vice versa costs almost nothing (xna is a hell of a tool)
You are correct that as PS3 game sales drop, the price for moneyhats will drop similarly. Nevertheless, exclusivity is still a boneheaded move in the absence of moneyhats when ports are so cheap and PS3 software is selling so well in comparison to the cost of the ports.

Lefty42o said:
risk vs reward. 360/pc is very little risk now and anything you put on the ps3 10 percent of cost or not is still a risk they can choose to avoid all together. very similar to ps2 vs game cube and xbox last gen.
Mistwalker and Midway (Stranglehold!) will be glad to hear that there's very little risk on the 360.
There is very little risk to porting a game, because of the low cost of porting. Even if you sell absolutely no copies of your game, you're only out 10% of your development budget.

pr0cs said:
You're not honestly comparing something like Mario that has a decade+ of history, fanbase and nostalgia attached to it against something like Eternal Sonata and Brue Dragon are you? Cos that would be silly.

You can bet your ass that if Mario was available on the 360 it would sell like fucking insane.

Of course it would (though probably not as well as it did on the Wii). The point is, one of the top-selling games of this year managed to have "cutesy and cartoony" artstyle, which Lefty claimed just a page ago that "the western market has never and will never buy in big numbers."

Zerachiel said:
The point is, one of the top-selling games of this year managed to have "cutesy and cartoony" artstyle, which Lefty claimed just a page ago that "the western market has never and will never buy in big numbers."

Whoa...he said what now?

I wonder, if we had a list of US million sellers, what percentage would be "cartoony". Given the heritage of our hobby, I'm thinking it'd be high. Maybe even a majority.

Gwanatu T

Leondexter said:
Whoa...he said what now?

I wonder, if we had a list of US million sellers, what percentage would be "cartoony". Given the heritage of our hobby, I'm thinking it'd be high. Maybe even a majority.

I would probably think so, however that number has probably changed a bit in the recent years with the GTA series, and most recently CoD games, Assassin's Creed and other M titles.

These numbers are just unbelievable. I know I'm late, but it's so stunning to see Nintendo owning this much. Makes me happier than a pig in slop.

Lefty42o

Banned
Leondexter said:
Whoa...he said what now?

no i was explaining why blue dragon and eternal sonata bombed. and was referring to their art style and i also said there are exceptions to every rule.

next i also mentioned turn based combat. which he just flossed over

i might've read in a post somewhere that Origins numbers are around 70k or so.....but it might've been ******** numbers which i wouldnt trust anyways

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
how about a launch-synchronized big 3 comparison for the u.s. only?
Something like this? (ignore the x-axis label)

happyNPDgraph.jpg

i dont get the argument of "WHAT ARE YOU PS3 GAMERS BUYING???"

PS3 gamers are buying software....its just that they are 3rd party multiplatforms like COD4/AC instead of more 1st party. Its just a damn shame that R&C and Uncharted arent selling better. Lets hope good word of mouth and better holiday momentum will increase those sales for dec

antipode

Zerachiel said:
Mistwalker and Midway (Stranglehold!) will be glad to hear that there's very little risk on the 360.
There is very little risk to porting a game, because of the low cost of porting. Even if you sell absolutely no copies of your game, you're only out 10% of your development budget.

There are many hidden risks of porting though - distracting your development team so the project gets delayed, reviews and press concentrating on one buggy or badly-ported release instead of the overall quality of the game, or users unsure about what version to get when there is a staggered release.

Kyo

xbhaskarx said:
Guitar Hero III LTD
360 858k
PS3 106k

Rock Band
360 312k
PS3 70k
PS3 owners hate music and exclusives confirmed.

The Rock Band numbers more or less reflect the hardware base for both systems,
nothing special there. The difference in Guitar Hero sales probably has to do with
the fact that you can use your GH II guitar on the 360 while you have to buy the
game as a bundle with the new wireless guitar on the PS3.

And I guess it's safe to say that simply because of the convenience of already
owining one or two of the old PS2 guitars many Sony fans will probably have
bought the PS2 version of the game instead.

Brashnir

Kyo said:
The Rock Band numbers more or less reflect the hardware base for both systems

the hardware difference is ~3x in favor of the 360, while those numbers are ~4.5x in favor of the 360. That's a bit more than just remaining in line with the install base.

Cheebs said:
Gah, people act like you're crazy when you say how badly the PS3 is doing, but put into graph form makes it look even worse.

It doesn't matter that the PS3 was hugely expensive. That hurt them very badly in the market true, but what differences does that make?

You cause a car wreck, you don't blame it on the booze, you blame yourself for drinking that booze. Sony brought this on themselves.

Loudninja

CANADIAN GAME HARDWARE SALES, NOVEMBER 2007
Nintendo DS -- 120,000
Nintendo Wii -- 82,000
Xbox 360 -- 59,000
PlayStation 3 -- 51,000
PlayStation Portable -- 33,000
PlayStation 2 -- 30,000

TOP 10 GAME SOFTWARE TITLES, NOVEMBER 2007
1) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - Nintendo - 94,000
2) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock W/Guitar (PS2) - Activision - 82,000
3) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (X360) - Activision - 78,000
4) Assassin's Creed (X360) - Ubisoft - 60,000
5) Wii Play W/Remote (Wii) - Nintendo - 51,000
6) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock W/ Wireless Guitar (X360) - Activision - 32,000
7) Mass Effect (X360) - Microsoft - 30,000
8) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3) - Activision - 30,000
9) Assassin's Creed (PS3) - Ubisoft - 26,000
10) Halo 3 (X360) - Microsoft - 26,000

:D

NeoUltima

Nintendo DS -- 120,000
Nintendo Wii -- 82,000
Xbox 360 -- 59,000
PlayStation 3 -- 51,000
PlayStation 2 -- 30,000

6) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock W/ Wireless Guitar (X360) - Activision - 32,000
Canada showing some PS3 love eh?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Zerachiel said:

And that is why we had so many Xbox/Ps2 and Gamecube multiplat titles, right?
Guess what, the development cost was way cheaper then, Gamecube was the easiest of the bunch to program for and games' MSRP was roughly the same as it is nowadays...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Indexing the Canadian DS sales to the US DS sales, here's what the other consoles look like
Nintendo DS -- 1,530,000
Nintendo Wii -- 1,045,500 (up a bit)
Xbox 360 -- 752,250 (down a little)
PlayStation 3 -- 650,250 (up a lot)
PlayStation Portable -- 420,750 (down a lot)
PlayStation 2 -- 382,500 (down a bit)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
IGN Wii podcast gave out a whole bunch of LTD's:

NPD LTD's

Fire Emblem- 53K

Carnival Games- 300K

Boogie- 170K

CoD3- 310K

Cars- 115K

Cooking Mama- 190K

DDR- 176K

Elebits- 136K

Excite Truck- 266K

Harry Potter- 150K

Zelda- 1.8M

Madden 08- 292K

MP8- 1.4M

MoH2- 31K :(

MP3- 490K

My Sims- 200K

ZaW- 35K

Rayman 1- 500K plus

RRR2- 60K

RE4- more than 400K

Sonic- 350K

SSX Blur- 125K

SPM- 808K

The BIGS- nearly 200K

MLB Power Pros- nearly 80K

Tiger Woods 07- almost 350K

Tiger 08- 175K

Transformers- 150K

TC2- 15K :(

Odysseus

Banned
WinFonda said:
So now even Canada is on board? What's up with America?

sony did the smart thing in canada by taking into account the parity in us:canadian exchange rates. the skus are 399/499, just like in the states. on the flip side, microsoft is charging 299/399/449/499, which is $20-$50 higher than the american prices.

in the hypothetical sense that you could find a wii, even nintendo charges $20 more. this is all according to futureshop.ca, of course.

jgwhiteus

schuelma said:
NPD Numbers

Thanks, those are really useful. I wish we had a better sense of how much it took to make a Wii game "profitable". I'm dead certain that Carnival Games is profitable for Take Two; heck, it might be one of their most profitable games this gen. I'm surprised COD3 is that high - isn't that one of the not-so-good games in the COD series?

Don't know how the FE series has done in general to tell if FE's numbers are good/bad or in line with the series - is it one of those games with "legs"?

gillty

Banned
Nintendo DS -- 120,000
Nintendo Wii -- 82,000
Xbox 360 -- 59,000
PlayStation 3 -- 51,000
PlayStation 2 -- 30,000

I work at a futureshop in vancouver, and its a very different story than these NDP.
This is what I've noticed 360 is selling at least 2:1 to PS3 (we have our store set up so that we have ALOT more 360s pilled up so that customers see the 360s when they walk in with fewer PS3s behind them) though right now we're our shirts have PS3 logos on the back :lol

GH3 w/ guitar for 360 (1per customer) sells out within a day after we stock it also sells about 3:1 compared to the PS2 /w guitar version. The Wii version we don't stock as much but sells out VERY fast. We also have a FEW PS3 versions. Mass Effect is also popular, along with assassin's creed. anything Wii games sell very well

I will say this about December's NPD: Freaking PSP sales are going to be NUTS for Hardware. Ever since I got my PSP, but boy has been going NUTS for one. For the last MONTH, I have been trying to get one for him for Xmas and have been 100% unable to get it (as I abhor going online to buy one).

AniHawk

jgwhiteus said:
Don't know how the FE series has done in general to tell if FE's numbers are good/bad or in line with the series - is it one of those games with "legs"?

Depends how long Nintendo decides to keep it on shelves, really. In the past they simply stopped restocking shelves with them and they sell out and become really hard to find.

frAntic_Frog said:
b-i-n-g-o was his name-o

sadly, sex appeal in marketing is still somethin that people actually fall for. no wonder politicians/corporations have such an easy time pulling the shade over the publics eyes

I can't help but laugh that people actually believe this. Outside of forums like these no-one knows who she is, and i can guarantee she had basically no effect on sales.

909er

Luckyman said:
Eh, LTD? That PS3 number is straight from October NPD. So it sold zero copies last month?

Well, we know that GH3 sold 1.9 million this month, minus PS2, minus Wii, minus 360 gives us about 150,000 for the month for the PS3 version

So LTD of about 250,000 for PS3.

methane47

xbhaskarx said:
GH3? No, 367,200. I assume it is in the top 20, but it's not in the top 10.

Edit: that is total sales, so the sum of the sales for each 360 version.

You sure?

Because last month had GH3 listed as similar to that amount for the 360..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208528&highlight=official+october+NPD
Top 10 SW
Rank # Units
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK W/ GUITACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 2 383.2K

So... if you are saying that GH3 sold 500k more ... then why is it not in the top ten?
Where did you get this LTD number from anyways?

Raw64life

Some other LTD numbers from the IGN Wii podcast...

WII WARIO WARE: SMOOTH MOVES - ~600K
WII RED STEEL - ~390K
WII TRAUMA CENTER: SECOND OPINION - ~210K
WII DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - ~165K
WII GT PRO SERIES - ~110K
WII HAPPY FEET - ~90K

NDS DRAWN TO LIFE ~200K

...and they also said that Hannah Montana DS is at "almost a million".

Top Bottom