• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Raw64life

Here are all the NPD numbers not listed in the OP from various sources...

360 ROCK BAND (T) 312K
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED: COLLECTOR'S EDITION (M) 140K

WII MARIO AND SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES (E) 328K
WII WII ZAPPER W/ LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING (E) 232K
WII HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL (E) 185K
WII LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE TRILOGY (E) 180K
WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES (M) 121K
WII RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS 2 (E) 60K
WII WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2008 (T) 53K
WII FIRE EMBLEM: RADIANT DAWN (T) 53K
WII MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES 2 (T) 31K
WII MANHUNT 2 (M) 19K
WII TRAUMA CENTER: NEW BLOOD (T) 15K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS (E) 227K
NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS (E) 49K

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K
PS3 ROCK BAND (T) 70K
PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K

PC CRYSIS (M) 87K
PC UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 (M) 34K

-----

Rough LTDs

360 HALO 3 - ~4.1 million
360 ASSASSIN'S CREED - ~1.1 million
360 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~860K

WII WII PLAY W/REMOTE - ~3.0 million
WII THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - ~1.8 million
WII MARIO PARTY 8 - ~1.4 million
WII SUPER PAPER MARIO - ~810K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~710K
WII WARIO WARE: SMOOTH MOVES - ~600K
WII RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS - ~500K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION - ~500K
WII RESIDENT EVIL 4: WII EDITION - ~410K
WII RED STEEL - ~390K
WII SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS - ~350K
WII TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 2007 - ~350K
WII CALL OF DUTY 3 - ~310K
WII CARNIVAL GAMES - ~300K
WII MADDEN NFL 08 - ~290K
WII EXCITE TRUCK - ~265K
WII TRAUMA CENTER: SECOND OPINION - ~210K
WII THE BIGS - ~200K
WII MY SIMS - ~200K
WII COOKING MAMA - ~190K
WII TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 2008 - ~175K
WII DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION HOTTEST PARTY - ~175K
WII BOOGIE - ~170K
WII DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 2 - ~165K
WII HARRY POTTER ORDER OF PHOENIX - ~150K
WII TRANSFORMERS - ~150K
WII ELEBITS - ~135K
WII SSX BLUR - ~125K
WII CARS - ~115K
WII GT PRO SERIES - ~110K
WII HAPPY FEET - ~90K
WII MLB POWER PROS - ~80K
WII ZACK & WIKI: QUEST FOR BARBARO'S TREASURE - ~35K

NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS ~710K
NDS DRAWN TO LIFE ~200K

PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE - ~140K

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million

speculawyer said:
This GIF just keeps on giving . . .

PS2bunny.jpg

so, sony finances the PS3 with the PS2?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DiatribeEQ said:
I will say this about December's NPD: Freaking PSP sales are going to be NUTS for Hardware. Ever since I got my PSP, but boy has been going NUTS for one. For the last MONTH, I have been trying to get one for him for Xmas and have been 100% unable to get it (as I abhor going online to buy one).

That is a bad thing how?

The PSP is already the most successful handheld to go up against Nintendo, ever. It will continue to make its own niche (unfortunately with a lot of people who are not willing to be "legit" gamers) and sell more.

Finn

Raw64life said:
NDS DRAWN TO LIFE ~200K
That's a decent number moved, no?

I was really pulling for the game to not be a complete bomb because I just really enjoyed the whole premise of it and the use of the touch screen. I actually bought a copy for my nephew for Christmas, so at least I'm not part of the problem. That's always good news.

methane47

Raw64life said:

sonycowboy said:
And from our prediction thread.
[360 Guitar Hero III] = 490.9K

Raw64life said:
sonycowboy said:
From the SW prediction thread:
[360 Guitar Hero III] 367.2K

So.. um guys.. Am I missing something here? Aren't those numbers that you are quoting, the GAF aggregate predictions?!?!?!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yes, you're missing something. sonycowboy meant that he was reposting the actual numbers, which he had previously posted in the prediction thread for the purposes of people being scored on their predictions.

methane47

Stumpokapow said:
Yes, you're missing something. sonycowboy meant that he was reposting the actual numbers, which he had previously posted in the prediction thread for the purposes of people being scored on their predictions.

AHHH thank you for clarifying

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Finn said:
That's a decent number moved, no?

I was really pulling for the game to not be a complete bomb because I just really enjoyed the whole premise of it and the use of the touch screen. I actually bought a copy for my nephew for Christmas, so at least I'm not part of the problem. That's always good news.

That definitely a good number for it...its popped up in several EU charts and on the AUS charts as well. THQ has gotta be happy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
That definitely a good number for it...its popped up in several EU charts and on the AUS charts as well. THQ has gotta be happy.

AUS is actually an important market for the game. THQ AUS went all out promoting it, including the bundled game carrying case, whiteboard, and marker set. Totally neat bonus. Still trying to get one shipped up here.

Also, we know from leaked data that DTL was in the top 10 DS games in both September and October. Awesome news.

5th Cell has to be very happy, since it's their first non-mobile game.

I'm extremely late to the party so I missed all of the fun, but I just wanted to jump in to say that PS3 owners really suck. 117k for Uncharted. 140k in two months for Ratchet. These aren't niche games, here. These were Sony's two biggest 1st party games this fall. They both had excellent reviews and should have appealed to the masses. What exactly went wrong, here?

AniHawk

dammitmattt said:
I'm extremely late to the party so I missed all of the fun, but I just wanted to jump in to say that PS3 owners really suck. 117k for Uncharted. 140k in two months for Ratchet. These aren't niche games, here. These were Sony's two biggest 1st party games this fall. They both had excellent reviews and should have appealed to the masses. What exactly went wrong, here?

The PS3 userbase is full of people who mainly buy sports games like Madden (which, alongside Resistance, I believe is the best selling game on the system). More gamers are getting into the system, but the 360 has a firm grasp on the hardcore market that would like those games.

WinFonda

AniHawk said:
The PS3 userbase is full of people who mainly buy sports games like Madden (which, alongside Resistance, I believe is the best selling game on the system). More gamers are getting into the system, but the 360 has a firm grasp on the hardcore market that would like those games.
360 and PS3 owners were buying the same things in November. If Uncharted were on the 360, it would have been blown over just the same for Assassin's Creed and COD4.

Uncharted didn't fare much worse than Mass Effect considering the install base of the two consoles in NA.

AniHawk

WinFonda said:
360 and PS3 owners were buying the same things in November. If Uncharted were on the 360, it would have been blown over just the same for Assassin's Creed and COD4.

Uncharted didn't fare much worse than Mass Effect considering the install base of the two consoles in NA.

I suppose that's right. I forgot about AC and COD4. Maybe R&C and Uncharted weren't mature enough or something. Resistance seemed pretty popular.

AniHawk said:

I thought the typical PS3 owner was the "hardcore" early adopter?

WinFonda said:

The difference is that 400k people would've bought Mass Effect last Christmas, too, with a much smaller userbase. I do agree that the timing wasn't the best for Uncharted or Mass Effect.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dammitmattt said:

A bunch of those sales were hardcore Blu-ray fans that have little interest in games I'm assuming

dammitmattt said:

What if there were a group of owners who bought it for MGS4? (like me)

Saying that, I did rush out to buy one after the price cut. Couldnt miss out on the 60gig. And i have been playing Tekken DR a lot on it and watching blu rays, so its all good.

dabookerman said:
What if there were a group of owners who bought it for MGS4? (like me)

Saying that, I did rush out to buy one after the price cut. Couldnt miss out on the 60gig. And i have been playing Tekken DR a lot on it and watching blu rays, so its all good.

I understand if you're using it for BR, but I have still never understood the idea of buying a console for a game that isn't out yet.

xbhaskarx

Stop It said:
So, company reactions this month:

Nintendo: "Well, we didn't quite make it to a million on the Wii front, but look at the DS go, it outsold EVERY Sony console this month put together, top that".

Microsoft: "The 360 has sold at expectations this month, this coupled with excellent software sales means we are very happy with our current situation"

Sony: "Well the 'Playstation Family' of consoles has outsold.....er, our software this month has done really.....hang on, well we sold more PS3s that 360 sold at this point last.....no can't use that, well we'll outsell them by 2011, Screen Digest said so, byee!"

I know I'm late, but :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have a question, does the PS3 really have any million sellers? Now give me a chance here. If I remember correctly, both Motorstorm and Resistance were pack-ins in Europe at one point or another, so shouldn't they be disqualified ala Wii Sports?

Yes, I know I'm asking a Euro question in an NPD sales thread, but going over to one of those threads you have to hear stories about how only seven wiis, three 360's and nineteen billion PS3's were sold due to lack of concrete numbers. I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man God said:
I have a question, does the PS3 really have any million sellers? Now give me a chance here. If I remember correctly, both Motorstorm and Resistance were pack-ins in Europe at one point or another, so shouldn't they be disqualified ala Wii Sports?

Assuming you disqualify all potential for European sales... Resistance may or may not be over a million right now US-only. Based on the data I have, which is missing 6 months or so, it's well over half a million. Add in 150k in Japan and the chances are pretty high it's a "legit" million seller.

I don't feel that pack-ins should be disqualified personally, but within the conditions you set...

squicken

schuelma said:
MoH2- 31K :(

Wii owners run around defending 3rd party sales saying that they don't sell b/c they are of poor quality. That game had 32 player MP support on dedicated servers, supposedly great Wii-Mote implementation, and reviewed fairly well. Yet it sold crap. The hard-core Nintendo fan only buys Nintendo published games and RE games, and the casuals just buy the party games. That's the landscape for Wii owners.

chemicals

Branduil said:
A lot of people are also buying the PS3 to play BluRay movies.

I've noticed this too.. I have a friend about to jump on the HD movie bandwagon and he's probably gonna get a PS3... with no games. Just movies.

beerbelly

Banned
squicken said:
Wii owner run around defending 3rd party sales saying that they don't sell b/c they are of poor quality. That game had 32 player MP support on dedicated servers, supposedly great Wii-Mote implementation, and reviewed fairly well. Yet it sold crap. The hard-core Nintendo fan only buys Nintendo published games and RE games, and the casuals just buy the party games. That's the landscape for Wii owners.

As opposed to PS3 fans only hyping up games on forums but never buys.

crbowen

squicken said:
Wii owner run around defending 3rd party sales saying that they don't sell b/c they are of poor quality. That game had 32 player MP support on dedicated servers, supposedly great Wii-Mote implementation, and reviewed fairly well. Yet it sold crap. The hard-core Nintendo fan only buys Nintendo published games and RE games, and the casuals just buy the party games. That's the landscape for Wii owners.

Who buys Medal of Honor games anymore? Honestly.

Xeke

Banned
squicken said:

I never saw one commercial for it and wouldn't know of its existence if I didn't visit these forums.

squicken

crbowen said:
Who buys Medal of Honor games anymore? Honestly.

Or Zack and Wiki. Or any other quality 3rd party game from that list. Take your pick. Besides RE games, no non-party, non-Nintendo games sell.

Like Bryan I from 1up Yours said. Dust off your Wii every quarter to play the latest mascot game from Nintendo, and the various Carnival Games if you're into that sort of thing. Point is, no more wondering why Valve or Criterion won't make games for Wii. Nintendo fans wouldn't buy them anyway.

Jirotrom

squicken said:
Or Zack and Wiki. Or any other quality 3rd party game from that list. Take your pick. Besides RE games, no non-party, non-Nintendo games sell.

Like Bryan I from 1up Yours said. Dust off your Wii every quarter to play the latest mascot game from Nintendo, and the various Carnival Games if you're into that sort of thing. Point is, no more wondering why Valve or Criterion won't make games for Wii. Nintendo fans wouldn't buy them anyway.
I see Zack and Wiki being a slow seller, but honestly I'm looking at all the wii games I own, and the 3rd party stuff other than Capcoms isn't of high quality, (well Geometry wars galaxies is, but we know the STIGMA behind that game.) If a game is a high quality 3rd party game thats ADVERTISED properly, it will sell, and you also seem to forget that 100,000 is around the profit point for devs when considering wii games. This isn't just a problem on the wii either its a problem on the ps3 as well.

Bishman

squicken said:
Wii owners run around defending 3rd party sales saying that they don't sell b/c they are of poor quality. That game had 32 player MP support on dedicated servers, supposedly great Wii-Mote implementation, and reviewed fairly well. Yet it sold crap. The hard-core Nintendo fan only buys Nintendo published games and RE games, and the casuals just buy the party games. That's the landscape for Wii owners.
I really didn't see any marketing for the Wii MoH. And I didn't buy it because there are just too many good games coming out at this time.

Jokeropia

squicken said:
This is what's called cherry picking, that is deliberately picking out the data that support your view while ignoring any data that oppose it, such as Sonic, Red Steel, Trauma Center, Call of Duty, The Bigs, My Sims etc.

Bishman

squicken said:

Third parties need to fucking step it up and make good quality games. I betcha No More Heroes will sell because it looks like a good third party game. It is so fricken annoying when third parties complain about sales. Make sure your game is good and get a decent marketing program behind it. GAF + IGN can only do so much.

Xeke said:
I never saw one commercial for it and wouldn't know of its existence if I didn't visit these forums.

I also didn't know a new Medal of Honor for Wii was out, nor did I know it apparently doesn't suck. I'll look into it. I was hoping for CoD4 on Wii, after falling completely in love with 3's Wii controls. And although I'm resigned to it not arriving, I'm pissed there's a DS version.

Also, some comments:

360 Assassin's Creed 980k
360 Assassin's Creed: Collector's Edition 140k
Ps3 Assassin's Creed 377k

Incredible start. I'm playing the game currently, and it's pretty good. I don't get the hate. I know some better games aren't selling, but that's no reason to begrudge a good game selling well.

Wii Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn 53k

I think that's okay. I certainly hope so. Nintendo couldn't have expected much, as they didn't advertise it that I know of. That's a shame, because just a 15-sec spot of some of the game's cutscenes would probably boost its sales a lot.

Wii Trauma Center: New Blood 15k

Boo. I guess there's no hope now of this matching, much less surpassing Second Opinion. Supposedly that was Atlus' best-selling game ever, so I had high hopes for this one. It was pretty dumb of them to release it opposite Mario and all the other big-name games, though.

LTD: 360 Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - ~860k
LTD: Wii Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - ~710k

If this really is all versions of the 360 GHIII (and who can keep track), then wow. That would put the Wii ahead in percentage vs. installed base. I always thought GH was a perfect fit for the Wii's party system crowd. Of course,

LTD: Ps2 Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - ~1.5 Million

the PS2 isn't dead yet.

Ps3 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 117k

I know everyone's down about this, but it's not that bad. It's a first-party game, it should have legs, and it'll inevitably get a Greatest Hits version. It's below expectations, but I wouldn't put it in the bomb category just yet. I bought it, beat it, and I completely understand how it could sell poorly. It's a great game, but I wouldn't know how to market it.

Jirotrom

Bishman said:
Third parties need to fucking step it up and make good quality games. I betcha No More Heroes will sell because it looks like a good third party game. It is so fricken annoying when third parties complain about sales. Make sure your game is good and get a decent marketing program behind it. GAF + IGN can only do so much.

The thing is not many third parties are complaining because they are still making money with half assed projects. Wii is a different market... it will never have a FPS like COD4 or Orange Box, unless a dev is willing to spend 20 million on it. That simply isn't going to happen now, maybe later if the Wii continues to dominate.

Jirotrom

Leondexter said:
LTD: Ps2 Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - ~1.5 Million

the PS2 isn't dead yet.
theres also over 100 million ps2s out there... I don't know how many there are in the US alone though.

JudgeN

Jokeropia said:
This is what's called cherry picking, that is deliberately picking out the data that support your view while ignoring any data that oppose it, such as Sonic, Red Steel, Trauma Center, Call of Duty, The Bigs, My Sims etc.

I don't remember Call of Duty, The Bigs, and My sims selling like gangbusters. Someone refresh my memory.

RBH

JudgeN said:
I don't remember Call of Duty, The Bigs, and My sims selling like gangbusters. Someone refresh my memory.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217109

Wii Software LTD's:

Super Mario Galaxy = 1.2 million

Smackdown vs Raw 2008 = 53,000 - not very good first-month numbers, and comparatively lower to PS2 and 360.

Carnival Games = 300,000 - has sold better than Nintendo's Big Brain Academy.

Boogie = 172,000

Call of Duty 3 = 310,000

Cars = 115, 000

Cooking Mama = 190,000

DDR Hottest Party = 176,000

Dragon Ball Z Buokai Tenkaichi 2 = 166,000

Elebits = 130,000

Excite Truck = 266,000

Fire Emblem = 53,000

High School Musical = 185,000

GT Pro Series = 108,000

Guitar Hero 3 Wii = 715,000

Happy Feet = 87,000

Harry Potter = 150,000

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = 1.8 million

Madden 08 = 292,000

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games = 330,000

Mario Party 8 = 1.4 million

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 = 31,000

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption = 490,000

MySims = 200,000

Wii Play = over 3 million

Rayman Raving Rabbids = over 500,000

Rayman Ravings Rabbids 2 = 60,000

Red Steel = less than 400,000

Resident Evil 4 = over 400,000

Resident Evil : Umbrella Chronicles = 120,000

Sonic and the Secret Rings = 350,000

SSX Blur = 125,000

Super Paper Mario = 808,000

The BIGS = nearly 200,000

MLB Power Pro = around 80,000

Tiger Woods 07 = almost 350,000

Tiger Woods 08 = 175,000

Transformers = 150,000

Trauma Centre = 210,000

Trauma Centre: New Blood = 15,000

WarioWare: Smooth Moves = 604,000

Zack and Wiki = under 35,000

Jokeropia

JudgeN said:
There's a difference between selling alright and selling gangbusters, though My Sims is actually tracking above all other console or handheld Sims games (about a dozen) apart from My Sims DS and The Sims on PS2.

Penguin

Jirotrom said:
The thing is not many third parties are complaining because they are still making money with half assed projects. Wii is a different market... it will never have a FPS like COD4 or Orange Box, unless a dev is willing to spend 20 million on it. That simply isn't going to happen now, maybe later if the Wii continues to dominate.

I don't know.
I think that Red Steel with enough development time and stealing a lot of ideas from other Wii FPSes would be a pretty solid game.
It had high production value for the most part for a first gen game.
Tighter controls.
Actual movies for stories.
Some system for fighting that doesn't use canned animation. It doesn't have to be one to one maybe something like SCL.
And expanded online play.

Lobster

Banned
Jokeropia said:
There's a difference between selling alright and selling gangbusters, though My Sims is actually tracking above all other console or handheld Sims games (about a dozen) apart from My Sims DS and The Sims on PS2.

A while ago EA released a press release that had MySims DS/Wii at 1 million shipped already. The Wii version was probably responsible for more than half the sales. Wii version charted above DS version in PAL but they were close together.

RBH

Amused_To_Death said:
Who said sports games don't sell on the Wii?

Yeah, sports games seem to be doing pretty decent on the Wii. Hell, even Power Pro managed to put up some respectable numbers.

Maybe this will wake up 2K Sports and make them think about putting MLB, NHL, or NBA 2K9 on the Wii.

Top Bottom