• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

Schlorgan

Apparently SE already has another Tomb Raider in production so they don't care. TF2 however probably killed the franchise.

EA's timing gambit failed, along with all of the other factors that contributed to the poor opening, but I don't think they'll do anything drastic like buy Respawn and/or shut them down; shutting down a studio that put out a Game of the Year contender is a bad move, no matter how poorly the game sold. Based on their latest earnings call, they seem perfectly fine with continuing to give Respawn money as they can afford it.

They might take a break but I doubt the franchise is dead for good. Respawn will probably split its time going forward with the Star Wars game and supporting TF2. We could maybe see a TF3 in 2019 or 2020.

jayu26

EA's timing gambit failed, along with all of the other factors that contributed to the poor opening, but I don't think they'll do anything drastic like buy Respawn and/or shut them down; shutting down a studio that put out a Game of the Year contender is a bad move, no matter how poorly it sold. Based on their latest earnings call, they seem perfectly fine with continuing to give Respawn money as they can afford it.

They might take a break but I doubt the franchise is dead for good. Respawn will probably split its time going forward with the Star Wars game and supporting TF2. We could maybe see a TF3 in 2019 or 2020.

Respawn has Star Wars money now. They don't really need TitanFall. But I'm sure they would like to keep working on a franchise they own. That is why I think they should look into working with a smaller publisher on a smaller title. Something more experimental.

Schlorgan

Respawn has Star Wars money now. They don't really need TitanFall. But I'm sure they would like to keep working on a franchise they own. That is why I think they should look into working with a smaller publisher on a smaller title. Something more experimental.
They almost seem like a pet project that EA just funnels money into without really caring that much about the results (sales-wise at least).

I read your entire post in Rich Evans' voice.

Welfare

Huh? I didn't think the gap was that big in the US. I thought I was far less than than that.
Rounded to nearest 10k.

PS4: 14,830,000
XB1: 13,340,000

Gap: 1,490,000

PS4: 2,000,000
XB1: 1,820,000

Gap: 180,000

PS4: 4,680,000
XB1: 4,370,000

Gap: 310,000

PS4: 5,730,000
XB1: 4,930,000

Gap: 800,000

2016 YTD

PS4: 2,420,000
XB1: 2,220,000

Gap: 200,000

noobie

Banned
Rounded to nearest 10k.

PS4: 14,830,000
XB1: 13,340,000

Gap: 1,490,000

PS4: 2,000,000
XB1: 1,820,000

Gap: 180,000

PS4: 4,680,000
XB1: 4,370,000

Gap: 310,000

PS4: 5,730,000
XB1: 4,930,000

Gap: 800,000

2016 YTD

PS4: 2,420,000
XB1: 2,220,000

Gap: 200,000

Have we got October Numbers for PS4 and XB 1?

Behlel

thank you... That's an impressive lead of ~100k especially in the PS VR launch month.

So look like PS VR didn't brought new buyers and just sold to existing PS4 owners.
You'ce discovered the wheel.
PS VR is not for the mass market, there isn't even a bundle with the console itsfelf.

thank you... That's an impressive lead of ~100k especially in the PS VR launch month.

So look like PS VR didn't brought new buyers and just sold to existing PS4 owners.

Well anyone "new" would be spending, what, £600 (not sure on US RRP) if they're going PS4+VR?

cheesekao

The PSVR is targeted towards existing PS4 owners. Anyone who thinks that it would boost console sales by any meaningful amount is just kidding themselves.

Huh? I didn't think the gap was that big in the US. I thought I was far less than than that.
That is why it won't be interesting unless MS can consistently have substantial gaps. Otherwise, these moments are just bursts of momentum. A drop in the ocean. That is just speaking from that "the tides are turning!" perspective though. Looking at the Xbox separately, obviously it speaks to how well MS has pushed their plan for the latter half of this year.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think the gap was?

LordRaptor

The PSVR is targeted towards existing PS4 owners. Anyone who thinks that it would boost console sales by any meaningful amount is just kidding themselves.

Prior to its launch there were a number of posters suggesting PSVR was the only hope for mainstream VR success and that it would accordingly see huge sales.

cheesekao

Prior to its launch there were a number of posters suggesting PSVR was the only hope for mainstream VR success and that it would accordingly see huge sales.
People were expecting it to be the most successful VR solution due to it being available for 40+ million people compared to PC users which, unless I'm not mistaken, has to have a 970 or something around that. Those expecting it to boost console sales were being a bit too optimistic.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
LordRaptor said:
Prior to its launch there were a number of posters suggesting PSVR was the only hope for mainstream VR success
It outsold 6 months of combined PCVR sales pretty much on Day one - so whether that begins to approach mainstream or not, it's the best shot at it to date.

LordRaptor

VR in it's current state has little hope of mainstream success.

It outsold 6 months of combined PCVR sales pretty much on Day one - so whether that begins to approach mainstream or not, it's the best shot at it to date.

My comment wasn't about VR, which is OT, it was that people did have expectations of PSVR providing a sales uptick for the PS4.

FWIW, GearVR and Google Cardboard have sales numbering in the millions, the only reports as to PSVR success AFAIK is that it is "on track", which would align with pre-launch goals of sales in the hundreds of thousands, with Vive and Rift also having sales in the hundreds of thousands, so unless there is data available that I haven't seen, the PSVR is not some clear winner in the space.

I think Sony's job with VR is to make it a desirable product. Casuals who don't already have a PS4 will look at that entry point as too large for a gaming experience, but if they go to their friend's house who has VR, they should at least want it for themselves.

It's very cool though, it's now the center point of my entertainment for when friends come over, and when I'm in VR mood..

Will we ever get digital sales for Gears? Is it possible that it greatly eclipsed the conventional physical-to-digital sales ratio because it's a flagship Play Anywhere title?

Granted, if it did really well digitally, you would think that MS would be crowing about it.

Welfare

Et tu, Welfare?

There is no Wii equivalent, unless you want the inverse with Wii U.

Will we ever get digital sales for Gears? Is it possible that it greatly eclipsed the conventional physical-to-digital sales ratio because it's a flagship Play Anywhere title?

Granted, if it did really well digitally, you would think that MS would be crowing about it.

If the average is 30% and we are already having games debut above that, I think the closest Gears could be is ~35% post launch and that is still just barely breaking 700k.

There is no Wii equivalent, unless you want the inverse with Wii U.
I was just joking. So many folks in the old sales-age threads (before they became ghost towns) would kick a fit whenever anyone dared treat Wii as an outlier. But of course in many contexts it is, and excluding it from analysis is exactly the right thing to do. I was poking fun at how wounded those folks might feel seeing an "excluding Wii" comparison from someone as grounded and data-driven as you.

I very much agree with your assessment, though: PS4 and Xbox One are now moving along in roughly the same track as their predecessors, not on the higher tier of blue ocean success Wii enjoyed (or the immensely great launches both had in 2013). I believe I only differ in that I think Microsoft has no chance to regain the lead in the U.S. until the next generational transition.

I was just joking. So many folks in the old sales-age threads (before they became ghost towns) would kick a fit whenever anyone dared treat Wii as an outlier. But of course in many contexts it is, and excluding it from analysis is exactly the right thing to do. I was poking fun at how wounded those folks might feel seeing an "excluding Wii" comparison from someone as grounded and data-driven as you.

I very much agree with your assessment, though: PS4 and Xbox One are now moving along in roughly the same track as their predecessors, not on the higher tier of blue ocean success Wii enjoyed (or the immensely great launches both had in 2013). I believe I only differ in that I think Microsoft has no chance to regain the lead in the U.S. until the next generational transition.
Agreed.

It would require the X1 not only gaining momentum but the PS4 slowing down. I don't see that happening.

Welfare

I suspected you were referencing that sentiment. Truth of the matter is that Wii's prime is a pretty big outlier in terms of performance and nothing has come close, home console wise. We won't see a console do more than 10 million in a single year.

A comeback this gen is most likely not going to happen but the chance can grow higher if XB1 manages to outsell the PS4 this holiday. If it can't, then it is probably impossible.

donny2112

You can't call something an outlier because it does really well. *facepalm* You want to say that the gaming on the Wii was a majority unique compared to PS360 and PS4/XB1 today? Okay. (It was a mistake by the publishers at the time considering early successes on the console, but it is still what it is.) You can't just say it's on outlier because "Wii's prime is a pretty big outlier in terms of performance." In that case, NES was an outlier. PS2 was an outlier.

Edit:
I guess it actually is a case that when something performs well above the norm that it's an outlier, but in which case NES and PS2 are outliers themselves. Wii is non-representative of the current market? Yeah, go with that.

I'm actually really interested in PSVR sales numbers. I'm actually planning on buying one shortly after Christmas and to my surprise GameStop, Amazon, etc. are sold out. So I guess either Sony has done a very poor job of managing stock / inventory or it had to have sold at least decently

donny2112

Yeah, even the Nintendo games on the system don't have real equivalents in terms of top games on PS4/XB1. The market is really diverged into Nintendo world gaming and Sony/Microsoft gaming, at least in the U.S. Now as individuals, it's entirely possible to like both those worlds. Publishers just are limiting games to one market or the other, though, and for this gen, there's not really much interest from publishers for the Nintendo world of gaming. (~_^)

I'm actually really interested in PSVR sales numbers. I'm actually planning on buying one shortly after Christmas and to my surprise GameStop, Amazon, etc. are sold out. So I guess either Sony has done a very poor job of managing stock / inventory or it had to have sold at least decently

What GameStop said about PSVR :

PS4 Pro is off to a "strong" start, while PSVR units are selling well, as they only stay on shelves for an average of 10 days.

I guess Sony was cautious. Not much stock but sold everything. Not bad for sony, but not enough for developers. You need a huge install base to sell decently and justify investment / recoup.
Otherwise developers stop developing. And without software the thing is dead. Sony should act wisely and calculate hardware price with a well-sharpened pencil.

cakely

Whoa, wow, you're right. I figured the bundle would sell out quickly (and it did) but not the headset itself.

Vena

I wonder if that isn't dead stock since the S took off so strong and now they can't even get rid of the OG stock in general.

TR - 640k
RotTR - 200k + 120k
(0.5)

TF - 875k (?)
TF2 - 182k
(0.21)

-Gears of War 4 sold ~415K / 505K
-Uncharted 4 879k / <950k

Who would believe this some time ago?

UC3 - 700k
UC4 - 879k / <950k
(1.36)

GOW3 - 2 million +
GOWJ - 620k
GOW4 - ~415K / 505K
(0.25)

Halo 4 - 3.2 million
Halo 5 - 935k
(0.29)

Gears actually had a bigger percentage drop than Halo. TLOU2 will be 1 million+

200K for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 ! Anyone got the numbers for the first one ?

DBZX - 200k+
DBZXV2 - 200k
NUNS4 - 290k
SFV - 210k

Top Bottom