• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

Boke1879

Considering Twilight Princess HD did 300K, I almost want to say that's disappointing for Skyrim seeing how much bigger it was. But nah, that's a great for a remaster, and I imagine it will continue to sell well for awhile.

Gears is just the latest in a long line of declining MS IPs. Happened to Nintendo when the 3DS and Wii U didn't match their predecessors. They can come back if MS really gets their act going again (in both hardware and software). Battlefield feels like it should've been bigger given the hype, but it'll probably have long legs. Titanfall, well anyone could see that coming.

BF sold well. The thing I'm looking at is that is sold pretty evenly along both platforms. Including the bundle that MS had. The BF bundle really didn't do all that as far as sales go.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Perviously on NPD prediction thread...

...and now...

Get yourself unbanned Ryng_tolu, we have unfinished business.

Ah whatever. Both did less than I thought they would. Fuck 2016.

delicious crow you're serving there, sir

well done

Chobel

Hummm, an "ok legs" should be consider. There is also Black friday sales. Maybe the game sells better this month.
Not sure about long term legs, but I do think it will have a good second month in the US do to Black Friday deals retail and digital

Not even Halo 5 had good legs on November, so what makes you think Gears 4 would do much better than Halo 5?

----------------------

Eh, anyone following sales threads know Kill3r7 isn't one who make shitposts. It's obvious they mean it's really weird that people are buying XB1s but not buying its exclusive games.

e-gamer

Not even Halo 5 had good legs on November, so what makes you think Gears 4 would do much better than Halo 5?

Because Gears 4 is better rated and talked than Halo 5? Plus, if I'm not wrong Halo 5 also make an appearance in TOP 10 on November's 2015 NPD.

blakep267

I'm not expecting amazing legs. I was thinking 150-200k or so. 50-60%drop

Also from what I remember halo wasn't on sale for $30-$35 last November

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't understand why people are buying a console if they do not intend to play some of the main titles that make said console worth owning. In other words, how does MS make games that its current customers want to play?

I am just going to play dumb with you for a min.

Why did people buy PS3 and still buying PS4?

How many multimillion seller Sony released in PS3 era that crushed MS's Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable sales? Please enlighten me. Who were those 80million people who bought PS3? lol

And why are people buying PS4? How many Sony first party games have outsold Halo 5? lol

Welfare

I don't understand why people are buying a console if they do not intend to play some of the main titles that make said console worth owning. In other words, how does MS make games that its current customers want to play?
Then you should heavily question PS4 sales.
/s

Third party drives console sales.

Kill3r7

Popular misconception among many is that first party titles are the main reason why someone would buy a console, when unless it's a Nintendo game, third party titles tend to always sell more than first party titles.

This is pretty good.

Definitely true this gen but not so much so last gen. 5 out of the Top 10 best selling 360 games were exclusives (excluding Kinect games).

I am just going to play dumb with you for a min.

Why did people buy PS3 and still buying PS4?

How many multimillion seller Sony released in PS3 era that crushed MS's Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable sales? Please enlighten me. Who were those 80million people who bought PS3? lol

And why are people buying PS4? How many Sony first party games have outsold Halo 5? lol

Thanks for playing dumb but it is not necessary. You think I have some agenda against Xbox yet I do not. It is my most played console this gen. Same as last gen and the gen before that but I digress.

People bought the PS3 because they imagined the future was going to be much like PS2 days and to a certain extent liked the exclusives, jrpgs, blu ray player etc. Although in the case of jrpgs last gen was a bit of a disaster.

PS4 is the more powerful console and initially offered a better value proposition.

The controller
The elite controller
The OS is constantly evolving and getting new features
Xbox Live is a solid service
Backwards Compatability is a big deal for a lot of gamers who had 360s/missed out on those titles
Prior and current investment in the Xbox ecosystem
The Xbox One S itself is a beautifully designed console

The list goes on and on

Because Gears 4 is better rated and talked than Halo 5? Plus, if I'm not wrong Halo 5 also make an appearance in TOP 10 on November's 2015 NPD.

I would hope that Gears is talked about more than a year old Halo 5. Gears will only outsell H5 if it's bundled.

Chobel

Better rated? It's 84 vs 85, basically the same. Better talked? I'm not even sure how are you measuring that.

BTW Halo 5 sold 330K or something like that on November, I don't think Gears 4 will sell anything close to that.

Indeed, I think Halo blind sided them, but I doubt Gears 4 did. If we include digital and the bundle sales its about in line with the last game Judgement. Its not a huge success by any means, but it shouldn't have much issue making its money back.

I agree its basically MS throwing a bone to the core fanbase I think more than something they expected to be a monster hit.
I'm going to assume Gears is over 30% digital due to play anywhere and also graphics card bundling. I'm going to say 40% for a high, but at least high 30s...maybe like 36.

e-gamer

Better rated? It's 84 vs 85, basically the same. Better talked? I'm not even sure how are you measuring that.

BTW Halo 5 sold 330K or something like that on November, I don't think Gears 4 will sell anything close to that.

Well, there was more people complaining about Halo 5 that time than Gears 4 now.

I don't like to make predictions about numbers but with a highly discounted xbox one S bundle could do better now than Halo 5 bundle then.

Kill3r7

The controller
The elite controller
Backwards Compatability is a big deal for a lot of gamers who had 360s/missed out on those titles

The list goes on and on

I agree for the most part. The Elite controller and asymmetrical sticks are great. It is the primary reason why I will always play FPS games on it. The OS has been a bit of a hit or miss. More of a miss as of lately, Cortana hates my wife and I. BC is a fantastic feature which only came into existence last year. Price and now UHD support are both excellent reasons to buy a console.

XBL is a great online service, yet two of the games that are synonymous with the service are mostly being ignored this gen. I guess what I am trying to say is who are these new Xbox customers and what do they like?

BeforeU

Definitely true this gen but not so much so last gen. 5 out of the Top 10 best selling 360 games were exclusives (excluding Kinect games).

Thanks for playing dumb but it is not necessary. You think I have some agenda against Xbox yet I do not. It is my most played console this gen. Same as last gen and the gen before that but I digress.

People bought the PS3 because they imagined the future was going to be much like PS2 days and to a certain extent liked the exclusives, jrpgs, blu ray player etc. Although in the case of jrpgs last gen was a bit of a disaster.

PS4 is the more powerful console and initially offered a better value proposition.

I am not implying that you have any agenda against Xbox. Seriously. And based on your post it looks like you already know that people don't buy a console for 1 thing only. Its the overall value proposition.

Despite the PS3 sold neck and neck with Xbox 360, none of the PlayStation franchised came even close to Microsoft's when it comes to sales.

MS gained their greatest sales around Christmas time with huge discounts. Casuals bought the cheapest console on the market at those times, casuals that don't buy first party titles and only play Madden/CoD/Destiny ...

Humdinger

https://twitter.com/AstronautClaire/status/800769975027990529

Astronaut Claire

Bethesda's Skyrim Special Edition (Remastered) release sold ~400K at October 2016 NPD USA Retail Software, a fantastic result for a remaster

Wow, and that's just a few days.

The controller
The elite controller

The list goes on and on

Right, and I'd also add (as a not-Xbox fan):

• Perceptions have shifted a lot since the first year or two (rotten reveal, etc.)
  • Phil Spencer has been a very effective spokesman/marketer/figurehead
  • Announcement of Scorpio has associated the brand with Powah, and that perception helps
  • Radical price drops have brought the console into the affordable range for lots of average Joe Gamers who are the kind that Xbox targets (those who almost only play the big AAA Western shooters, sports titles, and online games).
I'm actually surprised it has taken this long for Xbox to assume a monthly lead in NPD. It's been delay after delay for Sony games, with mixed reactions to the Slim and Pro reveal, and meanwhile MS has been doing everything they can to win gamers' hearts or at least their wallets. I thought the reversal of fortune would be evident a lot earlier, but here it is now.

I think brand perception is changing and a lot of the "designated winner" aura that Sony had in the last couple of years in the US/UK is wearing thin, and the crowd that loves the Xbox is coming alive, with the ranks swelling. I expect sales to continue in this vein for the forseeable future, with Xbox making up ground and eventually overtaking PS4 in NPD, probably around the time Scorpio releases. WW it will continue to be a different story, of course.

RibMan

Gears 4 numbers are disappointing, but it isn't entirely unexpected. It was always going to be a tough sell due to the lower console installbase, Gears 3 events, developer change, and good but not outstanding graphics.

Titanfall 2's performance makes me think that if Respawn's Star Wars game takes off then we won't see TF3 for a while, if ever. I cannot imagine EA are looking at the TF2 sales figures and are thinking "We'll get 'em next time", because the entire point of signing the COD creators was to create the next COD this gen. I think the best thing TF2 has going for it is extremely positive word of mouth. And Respawn owns the IP, right? So if EA choose to not fund a TF3, I imagine Respawn will look for another publisher -- possibly pursue a timed-exclusive deal with Microsoft.

Tomb Raider was, as many expected, going to do poorly on PS4 due to the delayed release. Given the existence of the UC bundle, I'm not sure if bundling TR on PS4 makes sense. It's going to need a lot of standalone promotions to get the sales numbers to cross 1M. I think it's fair to say that Square have their work cut out for them for the next TR game.

Fdkn

Despite the PS3 sold neck and neck with Xbox 360, none of the PlayStation franchised came even close to Microsoft's when it comes to sales.

Uncharted sold over 21 million in 3 games on ps3. GT5 sold 12 million. Little Big Planet was near 6. The Last of Us was over 6 too. MGS4 while not a Sony game, was a ~6million exclusive too

There's not much difference between those and Halo, Gears and maybe Forza 3? I guess you can add Kinect Adventures as it was bundled with Kinect.

Curufinwe

Gears 4 sold 57% of Uncharted 4's sales in may.

This is certainly a surprise, at least for me.

There are members of the American games press whose heads would explode if they cared enough about their jobs to actually discover a fact like this that contradicts their fictional narrative of "Sony exclusives don't sell".

The PS3 sold as good as 360 WW .
So you have to look at WW sales which mean yes PS3 IP did comes close to MS own IP.
For eg GOW3 , TLOU , UC2 and 3 , GT5 and 6 and a few more.
If we talking NPD only yes they did not comes close.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think people are certainly deciding to buy a console (PS4/XB1) on the basis of third party games these days, though which one they buy tends to be a factor of price, hardware power, user experience, and exclusive software.

Purest 78

The tech test DID feel horrible. It didn't feel like Titanfall.

It felt like CoD. If I wanted future CoD I would have bought BLOPS3.

Sorry but you're wrong on this one. The tech test did the majority of the damage and the release date finished it off.

The release date was the problem Imo. Releasing in between Bf1 and Cod was just dumb. I'm certain if it released earlier in the year it would have done much better.

BeforeU

Uncharted sold over 21 million in 3 games on ps3. GT5 sold 12 million. Little Big Planet was near 6. The Last of Us was over 6 too. MGS4 while not a Sony game, was a ~6million exclusive too

There's not much difference between those and Halo, Gears and maybe Forza 3? I guess you can add Kinect Adventures as it was bundled with Kinect.

how much did Halo 3, Reach, Halo 4 sold? More than 10 million each
How much did Gears 1-3 sold? I dont have exact numbers but they were above Uncharted.

The point is, people dont buy console to play first party. At least majority dont.

Boke1879

I think people are certainly deciding to buy a console (PS4/XB1) on the basis of third party games these days, though which one they buy tends to be a factor of price, hardware power, user experience, and exclusive software.

No doubt, but it also helps to have a variety in first party IP. The UC4 numbers showed growth and now it's being kept alive by being bundled with an entry level PS4.

MS has seen decline in their IP and they've doubled down on those games. Smart because it's still making them money, but at some point that well is going to run dry.

I wish MS wouldn't have tied down their studios to one franchise. Sony has a stable. After uncharted, ND is going with TLOU. GG are now making Horizon. You get the picture. Not only that but they've also made deal with 2nd party studios.

It always amazes me in this threads that people struggle to step outside of themselves and see what the average consumer sees. Gears of War 4, like Quantum Break before it, just looked really boring.

That's not to say that they're not great games, but if you're the kind of person that doesn't read NeoGAF and follow reviews and every single screenshot and trailer, then I'm not sure what there was with either title to get excited about.

And before people jump on me, that exact perspective is reflected by the sales numbers.

Fdkn

How much did Gears 1-3 sold? I dont have exact numbers but they were above Uncharted.

The point is, people dont buy console to play first party. At least majority dont.

You've gone from 'none of the franchises' to 'Halo was bigger', and even then GT5 sold as much as Halo 3, the peak of the series. Gears 1-3 is around the same as Uncharted 1-3 actually. The world is not the US.

I don't care why people buy consoles as there's many reasons from different people, I was just correcting your statement.

Gear 1 to 3 are not way about UC 1 to 3 WW.
While i agree with your point you are using the wrong data for it .

Chris1

Either Titanfall 2 had no hype whatsoever at reveal or the MP test felt fucking horrible to everyone, and I have hard time believing the later because even if Titanfall 2 gameplay was worse than its prequel, it was still great game.
I think it's a combination of multiple things.

Do you think futuristic cod fatigue has put people off titanfall? I think the games look and play similar enough to outsiders that this may have had an effect too

Top Bottom