• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD via Major Nelson: Close to 50% more online gamers in USA use 360 than PS3...

DC R1D3R

Banned
I wonder how long the dude who does Sony press releases has waited for the day when they can call Playstation x the best selling console of the month.

PS3 was on top for the slim release month iirc tho.

lol he's been waiting 7 long years to toot his horn. So fair play if/when it happens.

JCX

Yeah this sounds about right. Microsoft wisely incorporated online play with the Xbox brand pretty much from the beginning.

Derrick01

Banned
To me Live is only better for ONE reason - you have the ability to mute all communication. It's not something I've ever paid for though and I probably won't pay for online on PS4 either, unless they continue offering free games like current PS+

For me it was party chat, which also served to automatically mute everyone else in an online game. It was a game changer for me and it kept me playing online on 360 until I sold it.

I guess the percentage of Ps3 owners who play online is higher than the percentage of Xbox360 owners who play online, because PSN is free.
But there are much more Xbox360 owners, so at the end of the day we have 50% more online gamers who use 360.

5amshift

Banned
He's a PR guy. "doing whatever it takes to sway opinions, sharing whatever positive MS news" is his job description. What do you expect him to do?

Just funny we don't hear from him not nearly enough as we have the past few years.

pelican

Hyrb at his best. Pulling useless unquantified stats out of the air.

This means nothing without further details. For all we know it is more that 50% online gamers use the xbox on a Sunday between the hours of 01:35 - 01:45.

As the old saying goes statistics can say anything.

FyreWulff

This doesn't really mean much without Wii numbers. 50% more than what?

I'd need to see actual hard numbers to cut through the PR.

It's because the most under age, racist remarks screaming part of the gaming community is on 360, playing those tough, dudebro games like COD and Battlefield.

Hell, even this major Nelson dude is pretending to be a cool, tough, dudebro guy...

4387545019_0754313e94_b.jpg

It's because the most under age, racist remarks screaming part of the gaming community is on 360, playing those tough, dudebro games like COD and Battlefield.

Hell, even this major Nelson dude is pretending to be a cool, tough, dudebro guy...

Yo bro, PS3 actually has most bf3 users than PC and 360 (although who knows how many of those those dudes are dupes.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How can they tell it's being used for gaming and not online apps?

As I recall Xbox 360 users spent more time with apps than playing games.

Pain

Banned
Not surprising considering we're talking about the US here. But ONLY 50% more? Considering PS3 sold significantly less than the 360 in the US I guess the free PSN really helps the PS3.

ethomaz

Banned
If I'm not wrong the LT sales in US is close to 50% more too, no?

Edit - Checked the previous comments... it is 60% more 360 sold than PS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yo bro, PS3 actually has most bf3 users than PC and 360 (although who knows how many of those those dudes are dupes.

You're forgetting BF3 was given out like candy to renters on that platform. So "dupes" and inflated numbers there.

Just like there is kinda inflated numbers from the Humble Origin bundle on PC.

Yeah this sounds about right. Microsoft wisely incorporated online play with the Xbox brand pretty much from the beginning.

This.

Alternatively, PS3 is the top Netflix Streaming device.

Dat paywall.

This has no bearing for a new generation of consoles where there are launching within a week of each other and not a year apart.

meppi

Good Points!

Then again, maybe not.

I get way more of this shit on PS3 then I got when I played online on 360.

That's actually a proportionally lower rate of online interaction than PS3. Not surprising since it is pay to play though, so a good result for MS IMO.

They're not humbled.

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly use the word humble, then brag about the growth and numbers of people using Xbox Live in comparison to your competitors. That isn't exactly the definition of humble, well, at all.

Anyways, Congrats to Microsoft. I don't think it really surprises anyone that they have the most online users versus PS3. They had a majority of the better performing multiplats. and the better online service, so anyone with both systems is going to go 360.

Raist

Banned
Is this weighted against the number of each consoles in the US?
Because if it isn't then lolz.

Quite frankly I doubt there's any significant difference in the proportion on 360 owners vs PS3 owners to play online. Seems like a funny way to argue for "see? always online wasn't such a bad idea!"

Media Create via My Ass: Close to 100% more online gamers use PS3 than 360
in Japan

100%? Probably more like 700% or something.

I get way more of this shit on PS3 then I got when I played online on 360.

I think the fact that you didnt have to pay for online and the more recent 'cool' factor among youngsters for the PS3 has made the average age of online gamer on PS3 quite a bit younger

Source: My Ass but it's a trusted, safe, soft source for you to try out

Goku

Banned
Not surprising since Xbox Live is smoother/less lag than PSN. I've bought Tekken Tag 2 for both PS3 and 360, PS3 4green bars plays like Xbox 360 orange/yellow bars.

The pretty much have like 50% more 360s than ps3s here in the states. Its wildly popular here. This isn't shocking if your from here.

Top Bottom