• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD via Major Nelson: Close to 50% more online gamers in USA use 360 than PS3...

Mugatu

Even with the (now) crappy and slow dash I love my 360 but I'm not getting an Xbox One so enjoy it while you can.

shem935

Banned
Because it's showing the popularity of the Xbox Live platform, a service that will be transferring to the Xbox One. Sounds like you don't like hearing about the Microsoft's successes.

Cause popularity=me liking it right? I want them to sell me there new console not the old one. That generation is done and spewing useless facts that are common knowledge at this point will not get me to shell out $500

BajiRav

A lot of people are mentioning that this is only US and not worldwide, which is probably true, but the biggest thing is: Microsoft knows jack shit about PSN access numbers. It's literally impossible for them to make this claim unless Sony released their numbers, which they do every now and then, but haven't done in a while, certainly not in August.
Uh..he is sourcing NPD results. Microsoft must have done better than Sony in the results.

Gestault

You'll have to pardon me a bit on this one. While I disagree with the accuracy of the data you're citing (it doesn't include things like accessories, for example), I did overstate what I meant to say. An outside estimate from 2011 data I'm more familiar with for US vs the rest of the world was just shy of 40% (global videogame sales at ~65 Billion in 2011 with total US spending on Videogames at 24.75 Billion in 2011). This is still close (just over 38%), but I admit I was probably thinking in terms of US compared to Europe and Japan combined, which is higher.

Uh..he is sourcing NPD results. Microsoft must have done better than Sony in the results.

So? Unless NPD says how they got said info, it really doesn't matter. This info isn't exactly easily obtained. For all we know they could be basing this on an internet survey.

You'll have to pardon me a bit on this one. While I disagree with the accuracy of the data you're citing (it doesn't include things like accessories, for example), I did overstate what I meant to say. An outside estimate from 2011 data I'm more familiar with for US vs the rest of the world was just shy of 40% (global videogame sales at ~65 Billion in 2011 with total US spending on Videogames at 24.75 Billion in 2011). This is still close (just over 38%), but I admit I was probably thinking in terms of US compared to Europe and Japan combined, which is higher.

the numbers there do include accessories for the US a
the 65 billion number you are using doesn't include mobile while your 24 billion number does it seems

jet1911

So? Unless NPD says how they got said info, it really doesn't matter. This info isn't exactly easily obtained. For all we know they could be basing this on an internet survey.

Haha, really? "Tales from my ass :NPD Edition" Pretty sure the NPD is a really reliable source for infos.

I don't think anyone is saying the US market isn't important; just that this is not unexpected considering the make-up of the US market. The situation is likely reversed in continental Europe, or Europe as a whole, and lol in Japan.
Read the OP. They have access to something called the NPD online gaming report, which, unless I've missed the various threads about it, isn't made public...hell, I hadn't even heard of it before today.
I'm somewhat curious where NPD is getting such data. I can only assume it's survey based.

Their sales reports are extrapolated from retail partner PoS data.

I don't think NPD would have actual online gaming access data from either XBL or PSN.

Unless NPD says how they got said info, it really doesn't matter. This info isn't exactly easily obtained. For all we know they could be basing this on an internet survey.

Haha, really? "Tales from my ass :NPD Edition" Pretty sure the NPD is a really reliable source for infos.

yea, I think NPD is more reliable than PR FUD from console manufacturers regarding sales (shipped/worldwide etc).

jcm

Fair enough. Lots of people here tend to overestimate the importance of US sales, due to the prominence of the NPD thread, and I thought you were falling into that.

I don't think anyone is saying the US market isn't important; just that this is not unexpected considering the make-up of the US market. The situation is likely reversed in continental Europe, or Europe as a whole, and lol in Japan.
I'm somewhat curious where NPD is getting such data. I can only assume it's survey based.

I don't think NPD would have actual online gaming access data from either XBL or PSN.

They do a survey for digital sales, so it's probably from there.

yea, I think NPD is more reliable than PR FUD from console manufacturers regarding sales (shipped/worldwide etc).

Well, they aren't. NPD sales numbers are estimates. Console manufacturers statements regarding worldwide shipments are actual numbers.

And this is why the Xbox One will sell better than the PS4 in the US.

People that game online are not going to get a PS4 because all of their friends played on the 360 and they're all getting an Xbox One. For the average person, they are not going to know that the PS4 is more powerful. They are just buying the name.

As am I. It's why I'd love to see the report so as to find out how they reached that figure and how big the sample size is. (if they are indeed using one. It stands to reason they are. As you said, it seems unlikely they'd have access to hard data from PSN/XBL)

IzzyF3

Your right. If they can't even get access to digital sales numbers, I can't imagine why they would be able to get online player base data.

Crawl

And this is why the Xbox One will sell better than the PS4 in the US.

People that game online are not going to get a PS4 because all of their friends played on the 360 and they're all getting an Xbox One. For the average person, they are not going to know that the PS4 is more powerful. They are just buying the name.

So what happened during the ps2-ps3 time in america...? Brand doesn't matter.

jcm

So what happened during the ps2-ps3 time in america...? Brand doesn't matter.

It's not the brand. It's that the consoles are much stickier than they used to be. If you've already got a mature friend network on xbox then you are much more likely to stay there, rather than change to psn and start over or try to convince everyone to come with you. Same with things like gamerscore, movie purchases, etc.

Crawl

It's not the brand. It's that the consoles are much stickier than they used to be. If you've already got a mature friend network on xbox then you are much more likely to stay there

Regardless if its the same network, everyone still has to buy a new box. There's no cross generational play between 360 & Xbone users. The only thing i'll give you on your argument is if you bought movies / music /tv content that's about it.

jcm

Regardless if its the same network, everyone still has to buy a new box. There's no cross generational play between 360 & Xbone users. The only thing i'll give you on your argument is if you bought movies / music /tv content that's about it.

Sure, but don't underestimate the power of inertia. If I have a network of 50 friends on xbox, trying to get that reconstituted on psn is a pain in the ass. It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but it gives the current platform the edge.

Dear Major Nelson,

I can't play Uncharted, inFamous, God of War, Resistance, Killzone, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Heavy Rain, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo or Ni No Kuni online or offline on the 360.

Your move.

Top Bottom