• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD via Major Nelson: Close to 50% more online gamers in USA use 360 than PS3...

Allforce

Doesn't MS wrap "online gamers" into their "unique uses" qualification? It's why single player stuff like Skyrim is always Top 5 in their monthly Live Activity reports, despite there not being any real multiplayer. You're just a player playing a single player game on a console that happens to be connected to the Internet, Gold or Silver member, doesn't matter, you're an "online gamer" to their stat sheet.

I'd love to know the true numbers of active consoles out there with an active Gold sub. I know they've sold like 80 million boxes but how many of those are dead at this point from the early RROD debacle?

sublimit

Banned
But for how much longer?

Lol this reminded me Kurgan's quote from Highlander: "Ah!Not for much longer..."
180px-Kurgan.jpg

Cornbread78

It's because the most under age, racist remarks screaming part of the gaming community is on 360, playing those tough, dudebro games like COD and Battlefield.

Hell, even this major Nelson dude is pretending to be a cool, tough, dudebro guy...

Let's be real here. the silent lobbies prevent any real type of $hit talkin' in BF3. CoD is where it is the worst. Too many punk little brats spouting $hit on there. So sad. I must prefer the silent lobbies just so I can only hear my teamates whine... (This isn't XBL only here, but it seems worse becuase there are more CoD players there...)

Wait, when do the NPD numbers realease anyhow?

Also, many many more SP games to be played on PS3 right now that aren't dudebro... I guess he's trying to do his job to spin it as a positive for MS and a negative for Sony though. MS Fanboy confirmed....LOL

RPGamer92

Banned
Not too surprising considering that the people who pay for online use it more than people with free online to get the most value they can.
Am I doing it right?

weeeeezy

Banned
It's because the most under age, racist remarks screaming part of the gaming community is on 360, playing those tough, dudebro games like COD and Battlefield.

Hell, even this major Nelson dude is pretending to be a cool, tough, dudebro guy...
Are you being serious right now?

Hoje0308

Banned
7 years of "but online is free..."

Didn't really matter.

Well, given that 360 probably has more than a 50% lead over PS3 in its home territory, those numbers could indicate that, proportionately, PS3 owners are online more often. Do an online comparison between 360 and PS3 in Japan. This is about sales and everyone here knows Sony got spanked in North America.

meppi

I think the fact that you didnt have to pay for online and the more recent 'cool' factor among youngsters for the PS3 has made the average age of online gamer on PS3 quite a bit younger

Source: My Ass but it's a trusted, safe, soft source for you to try out

Ooooh, I seem to get these kinds of invites a lot lately. wink wink. ;)

This is why Sony decided to put online play behind the paywall. Microsoft did it, and all the stats say that there's almost no resistance to it. If these numbers were closer, showing any advantage for the PS3's free online play, then the PS4's online play would be free, too.

Gestault

Guys, I'm getting the impression there's a large contingent of people here who think that the largest gaming market in the world (which nearly represents as many sales as the entire rest of the world combined) doesn't matter. Am I understanding that right?

7 years of "but online is free..."

Didn't really matter.
US=/= Worldwide
I like the option of playing online when i desire without having to pay extra, I've indulged many times..

on the other hand Sony's got a lot of great singleplayer experiences.

All this really means is congratulations to MS being the choice for COD. Okay.

Guys, I'm getting the impression there's a large contingent of people here who think that the largest gaming market in the world (which nearly represents as many sales as the entire rest of the world combined) doesn't matter. Am I understanding that right?

It would seem so...

UNCMark

Banned

I'm dumber for having read this.

crozier

Not surprising in the least. LIVE was a much (much) better experience than PSN for online gaming. With PSN+ though, I expect that gap to narrow as Sony drops cash for improvements.

UNCMark

Banned
Nah, I owned an Xbox 360 up until this August. MS are so up their own ass nowadays though. They're in for a #realitycheck next month lol.

If you think the reality check is coming in the first 2-3 months of the Xbox One's life, you're in for a #realitycheck. It's going to do great initially. It's the subsequent months where we truly find out if perception is reality.

Multi-console owners are probably skewing these numbers. Most people that I know with a 360 and a PS3 use the 360 as their online gaming machine. Honestly if you have both systems you realize that the online on PS3 is so lacking it isn't worth it. I haven't played anybody online on my PS3 in over four years.

Hopefully cross-title chat, bundled mic, et al changes this on PS4.

jcm

Thinking the US is half the market is as misguided as thinking it doesn't matter.

viveks86

Thinking the US is half the market is as misguided as thinking it doesn't matter.

Erm... Gestault isn't far off the mark. The 360 install base in the US is > 50% of worldwide install base. The PS3 is a little less than 33% of worldwide. Combined, US constitutes ~ 42% of the worldwide install base. Isn't that fair to approximate as "nearly half"? Or are you just being pedantic?

Is this proportional?

If it's not, well I mean, the 360 is more than 50% higher than PS3 in unit sales in the US.

I be willing to go out on a limb and say that not all HD console owners are connected online at all.

So it's not proper to assume these percentages reflect the accumulated sales of units on either end.

Komo

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if this were actually true. I can't see the Xbone being the leader next-gen in North America though. That bad publicity is widespread.

old

And why are you focusing on your platform that has been out for 7 years? Tell me why I should buy the new one.

Because it's showing the popularity of the Xbox Live platform, a service that will be transferring to the Xbox One. Sounds like you don't like hearing about the Microsoft's successes.

A lot of people are mentioning that this is only US and not worldwide, which is probably true, but the biggest thing is: Microsoft knows jack shit about PSN access numbers. It's literally impossible for them to make this claim unless Sony released their numbers, which they do every now and then, but haven't done in a while, certainly not in August.

viveks86

A lot of people are mentioning that this is only US and not worldwide, which is probably true, but the biggest thing is: Microsoft knows jack shit about PSN access numbers. It's literally impossible for them to make this claim unless Sony released their numbers, which they do every now and then, but haven't done in a while, certainly not in August.

This.

Read the OP. They have access to something called the NPD online gaming report, which, unless I've missed the various threads about it, isn't made public...hell, I hadn't even heard of it before today.

Top Bottom