• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Balls. This +704 memory OC is not lasting in games. GTA V was about 30 mins before weird squares popped up and crash. I've taken it down to +604 memory and that seemed ok. Will test that for a few hours tonight.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7963496?

1uqjdl.png

Graphics score seems a little low compared to others here.

Completely stock, right? You're in the normal range (18-19k). I think a very select few have been lucky to hit 20k stock.

knitoe

Using a 2500K means the MB only has PCIE 2.x which does lower graphic performance by a little.

Balls. This +704 memory OC is not lasting in games. GTA V was about 30 mins before weird squares popped up and crash. I've taken it down to +604 memory and that seemed ok. Will test that for a few hours tonight.
3DMark isn't a very good test for OC stability. It's more to show off the score finishing at X and Y settings. When, in actual gaming, it might crash within minutes.

I can complete firestrike benches with +750 on my memory. I have to turn that down to +450 to avoid artifacting and crashing in games. Big difference O_O

Using a 2500K means the MB only has PCIE 2.x which does lower graphic performance by a little.

3DMark isn't a very good test for OC stability. It's more to show off the score finishing at X and Y settings. When, in actual gaming, it might crash within minutes.

Yeah, I think time on load is key as well. Firestrike pushes my card's power limit higher than any game but lasts a few mins and actually it's only two of those tests that are really grueling (graphics test 1 and combined test). Obviously a lot different than running a game for extended periods of time.

On overclockers.net, quite a lot of people are fitting their reference and non-reference Tis with AIO coolers like Kraken's G10 and X41. Getting some good results.

I'm tempted, but another $100-something bucks when I'm already getting such good performance...not sure if it's really worth it.

Yeah, I think time on load is key as well. Firestrike pushes my card's power limit higher than any game but lasts a few mins and actually it's only two of those tests that are really grueling (graphics test 1 and combined test). Obviously a lot different than running a game for extended periods of time.

On overclockers.net, quite a lot of people are fitting their reference and non-reference Tis with AIO coolers like Kraken's G10 and X41. Getting some good results.

I'm tempted, but another $100-something bucks when I'm already getting such good performance...not sure if it's really worth it.

You can set Firestrike to loop. I loop my fire an hour to test stability.

knitoe

I've found running Unigine in a continuous loop for an hour is a pretty solid way to test stability. It will typically glitch out after a while if things aren't legit.

You can set Firestrike to loop. I loop my fire an hour to test stability.

Unlike cpu, I found out a long time away that there isn't a software that can really test a video card OC for stability. At some point, you run into that one game. You can see many people got that surprise in the Witcher 3 Performance thread.

I was going to say that seems low, but then I saw your clocks and you're on a reference. Any plans to add a 3rd party cooler? With an AIO and maybe custom BIOS and OC, you could potentially take that score to 22k and improve game performance as well.

I'd considered it, but wanted to wait a bit before jumping into 3rd party cooling. This is an upgrade from a GTX 275, so I'm still riding high on the fact that I can play at a res higher than 720p! Let alone playing at 2560x1440, while streaming, with no noticeable slowdown.

aku:jiki

Yeah, now I see it. I was concentrating on the image above.

That is most likely driver problem. So yeah, just try again with DDU.
I have now gotten home and run DDU and installed all 3 available Ti drivers to no avail. Still seeing shitty image rendering all over the place and my Facebook logo is still blurry.

EatChildren's image in here is artifacted to shit for me, and there's stronger red bleeding from the dragon, creating a sort of purplish color in the areas where the black meet the red. It did not look this shitty just half an hour ago at work. I tried to screenshot it but this exacerbated artifacting I'm seeing doesn't really come across in screenshots, I get that. You guys would have to come to my house and you'd see it right away, like "why does the entire internet look kinda shit?"

Any further ideas? What do I even do if the thing's broken? Never had to RMA anything...

Firebrand

I have now gotten home and run DDU and installed all 3 available Ti drivers to no avail. Still seeing shitty image rendering all over the place and my Facebook logo is still blurry.

EatChildren's image in here is artifacted to shit for me, and there's stronger red bleeding from the dragon, creating a sort of purplish color in the areas where the black meet the red. It did not look this shitty just half an hour ago at work. I tried to screenshot it but this exacerbated artifacting I'm seeing doesn't really come across in screenshots, I get that. You guys would have to come to my house and you'd see it right away, like "why does the entire internet look kinda shit?"

Any further ideas? What do I even do if the thing's broken? Never had to RMA anything...
Probably not it as it wouldn't affect the colors I think, but worth checking: Go into display settings where you change resolution and there should be an option around there to change between 100% or 125% text and object size. Make sure that's at 100%, otherwise things can look really blurry.

It does sound like a driver or Windows problem rather than hardware.

longdi

Banned
I found to get the most of your overclocks, turn on frame rate limiter in MSI AB or Precision-X. If you are not running a high framerate monitor, locking the 980Ti output to 60fps will help with maintaining a higher overclock and lower temps. :D

I'm still waiting for the Acer 21:9 gsync monitor. Then I'll sell my Dell curved 21:9 and jump ship :)

I don't think I can return to a 16:9 display being my daily driver...

cackhyena

Good lord, I had to bend in my HDD bay a bit to fit this card in, but I got it! Now to wait to see how that ASUS 1440p Gsync monitor turns out.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Picked up an MGSV 980 Ti bundle last week when Amazon had the EVGA ACX on sale for $650 ($660 w/backplate). I got the one with backplate delivered a few days ago:

20100267695_653773e6d9_o.jpg

20109788691_e51f20feb4_o.jpg

Haven't had a chance to test it out that much but in addition to the factory overclock, I am able to add another +134 to the core (and + 25 to the voltage). It boosts up to between 1420-1475mhz from what I've seen. I think 1475mhz is my stable core limit. I tried adding some more to reach 1500 but it would crash. I have a stable +400 on the memory, haven't tried increasing that yet.

Here's my 980Ti Firestrike score with 2600K:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7974443?

Graphics - 20,511
Physics - 11,510
Combined - 7,427
Overall - 15,857

I played a few hours of Dragon Age Inquisition with that oc and it ran stable, silent and cool. I left the fan at default, did not hear it get louder than my cpu fans and the hottest I saw it get was 74c.

Here are some screenshots from that DA session. I mostly got 60 fps during gameplay but fluctuates between 35-60 during cutscenes. 2880x1620 downsampled to 1920 x 1080, MSAA disabled, the rest maxed out:

And here are direct links to the full sized, un-downsampled 2880 x 1620 images:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/418/19961988268_ec272616a6_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/257/19962546930_d3cb3496df_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/423/19527990414_89cf8d7b6a_o.png
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3726/20142556502_0ab08157bb_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/495/19962604450_55f175e7d4_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/448/20150582865_f02ce05d5a_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/316/20156147751_a80cc23064_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/553/20150556495_85a84332c6_o.png

dEvAnGeL

on my EVGA with BP i can only go to +135 on the core, anything over that and the driver crashes, so with that i get a solid 1413 on the core but if i add +35 mV which really is nothing the core speed jumps to 1439, anything over that and it crashes, ive run heaven with everything max and 8xAA for at least an hour and not even a single artifact or crash or nothing, tried multiple games for hours and perfect but as soon as i start the witcher 3 i get crashes all over the place, at this point im inclined to believe it has to be the game right?

Tnecniv

Neo Member
I'll try playing some Witcher 3 in a short while with my aforementioned overclock and will see if I get any crashes or anomalies.

Before I forget to mention, gpuz is reporting an asic quality rating of 78.1% for my particular card if that matters any.

dEvAnGeL

I'll try playing some Witcher 3 in a short while with my aforementioned overclock and will see if I get any crashes or anomalies.

Before I forget to mention, gpuz is reporting an asic quality rating of 78.1% for my particular card if that matters any.
you have my same setup lol, 2600k and we have the same card!

ZOONAMI

My G1 is stable at 1471 boost (1282 core) and 8012 memory. Graphics score of 20,600-20,700. Total score breaks 15000 with a xeon 1231v3! It didn't like the added voltage of a bios flash for some reason, actually made the graphics score drop below 19000 at the same clocks above.

This is pretty much the exact same clocks as my 970 in my other machine.

No matter what I do I can't break 1500 core without crashes and artifacts. I'm very happy with the results though, and max temps I've seen are in the low 70s.

knitoe

on my EVGA with BP i can only go to +135 on the core, anything over that and the driver crashes, so with that i get a solid 1413 on the core but if i add +35 mV which really is nothing the core speed jumps to 1439, anything over that and it crashes, ive run heaven with everything max and 8xAA for at least an hour and not even a single artifact or crash or nothing, tried multiple games for hours and perfect but as soon as i start the witcher 3 i get crashes all over the place, at this point im inclined to believe it has to be the game right?

I find the Witcher 3 pushes your video card more than any benchmarking software. If you default to GPU stock speeds and the game doesn't crash, it will tell you that your OC settings was never really stable.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
you have my same setup lol, 2600k and we have the same card!
Nice, I haven't found the need to upgrade the 2600K yet.

I played Witcher 3 for a short while. I only had time to wander around for 30 minutes. Am not that far into the game - looking for Ciri in Velen.

There's an area, a forest outside the abandoned village in White Orchard that I've found to be one of the most demanding in the game so far. Especially at night, it really pushes the gpu to the limit. I changed time of day to night and sat there for around 15 minutes. The hottest temp I saw reached 71c, it did not go higher, it would occasionally drop to 70 then go back up to 71. Was playing with aforementioned oc and fan set to 61%. It did not crash:

I wandered around some more in Novigrad and Velen on foot and on horseback, didn't crash or get any artifacts as well, max temp stayed at 71c:

I was rendering at 1920 x 1080 using these in-game settings (I haven't made any changes to the ini yet):

It seems all good and stable on my end... but as I mentioned earlier I only played for half an hour and am still in the beginning stages. Is there a part of the game I haven't reached yet that's prone to most crashing with overclocks?

dEvAnGeL

well, it seems i have a faulty card, i benchmarked the card using heaven on clock speeds and even at that it crashed the driver so the GPU is unstable even at the speeds it came with, no wonder the crashes, i just contacted EVGA and they are sending a new one and have to send this one back on the same box, will see, at least i hope its a new card lol

Weird, just had my drivers crash for the first time. I was one factory settings, my overclock wasn't on, and was finally getting back to Far Cry 4 and about 5 minutes in my drivers crashed. I am going to presume it's a driver issues (or Windows 10 or Far Cry 4) and that it's not my card being silly because I haven't had issues in any other games over the last few days.

Edit: I am going to say this is likely a Far Cry 4 issue as I have put good time into Witcher 3 and Sar Citizen at 4k and haven't had a single issue. FC4 probably doesn't like Afterburner or something else that might be running.

Weird, just had my drivers crash for the first time. I was one factory settings, my overclock wasn't on, and was finally getting back to Far Cry 4 and about 5 minutes in my drivers crashed. I am going to presume it's a driver issues (or Windows 10 or Far Cry 4) and that it's not my card being silly because I haven't had issues in any other games over the last few days.

Uninstall evga precision x if it's running.

I bought the 980ti from microcenter 2 weeks ago. Their return policy is 30 days. Does anyone know if I'll be able to go in and get a code for mgs v?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Card went out of stock just as I was ordering. Did you steal my card?

IT WAS ME AUSTIN

You've now surprised my slightly overclocked TitanX score :p

(never did mess with that too much though - really low ASIC and I didn't know how to mod the BIOS)

+150 MHz / +600 MHz unfortunately isn't stable for games. I can get through Firestrike easy peasy, but leaving it sit for an hour in The Witcher 3 just causes crashes. From the testing I've done so far +100 MHz core and +400 MHz memory with no additional tweaks to voltage works just fine though. No graphical glitches or crashes.

I'll give GTA5 a burl though. On my 970 I found GTA5 in the forest during a thunder storm was by far the most reliable game test for OCing. Lots of textures, alpha maps, rain particles, and constant dynamic lighting/shadow shifting for the lightning strikes. If an OC can get through that without crashing you should be good.

You can always try to lock the voltage a little higher if you want to see how high you card can go while maintaining stability.

I'm really glad I managed to get 2 Gigabytes that actually run damn near the same clock speeds. I modded the bios on both to lock the voltage at 1.237V. They heat up to about 75 degrees at that voltage but no higher.

I've been running both my cards at 1506 - 1520mhz and +450 on the memory for a long time now. Can't remember the last driver crash. Survived countless hours of Battlefield 4 at 5958x2494 (3x DSR), Metro Last Light Redux at 4865x2036 (2xDSR), and even ran around in The Witcher 3 for a while at 5120x2880 on my QNIX (4x DSR on that monitor).

In benchmarks my memory can go up to a whopping +750. But neither firestrike really hits the video memory very hard so I guess that's why you can push your cards higher without driver crashes or even artifacts.

Yeah CPU makes a big difference in total score in 3DMark. Here's mine on a Titan X w/ a slight OC but with a 4930k @ 4.4ghz

rWPbEmo.png

Yeah that's why I generally only pay attention to the graphics score in firestrike. As much as I'd love to upgrade my CPU to something better, I suspect that the only real benefit to that would be higher benchmark scores. I don't actually think a 5930k would make an earth-shattering difference in games.

So upgrading to windows 10 have borked my performance on my 980ti.

3dmark graphics scores:

Win8.1: 20344
Win10: 19883

This is after upgrading, with drivers wiped clean and reinstalled anew.

Not really happy. Hopefully updates from MS and Nvidia remedies this somehow. Seeing that most of you have a performance bump.

Or I will just say fuck it and reset my whole damn game/work station. Not really fancy that though to be honest.

So upgrading to windows 10 have borked my performance on my 980ti.

3dmark graphics scores:

Win8.1: 20344
Win10: 19883

This is after upgrading, with drivers wiped clean and reinstalled anew.

Not really happy. Hopefully updates from MS and Nvidia remedies this somehow. Seeing that most of you have a performance bump.

Or I will just say fuck it and reset my whole damn game/work station. Not really fancy that though to be honest.
That's weird, my firestrike score under win 10 was higher than all of my benchmark runs in win 8.1.

Top Bottom