• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4060 Ti review thread

Leonidas

4060 Ti is not a RT card. Too little Vram so the comparison is flawed.
3070 runs fine in many games with RT on, that also has 8 GB. The games that the 3070 runs fine on will still run fine on the 4060 Ti.

8 GB isn't going to become obsolete over night. Nvidia will offer a 16 GB VRAM version for those who fear using 8 GB cards.

Even with only 8 GB of VRAM these cards destroy the PS5 in RT :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Its 400$msrp card which nvidia made sure will only be useful in 1080p in newest games, and not for long either, probably only for 1 gen, by the time we get 5060ti and that time for sure with 12 gigs of vram, every 4060ti owner will be forced to upgrade.
A 16 GB variant exists, people who fear 8 GB VRAM can buy that.

No one can say when 8 GB will no longer be sufficient. As of today you can only point to one, maybe two games, which might end up being patched... I'll have to see a lot more current gen games than that having issues before I become worried about 8 GB on a 1080p GPU.

I think its pretty nuts that folk are out here batting for Nvidia over a $400 1080p GPU. Doesn't bode well for the regular 4060 either if the Ti variant is already the 1080p card :messenger_grimmacing_
4060 is a 1080p card too, and still more powerful than the PS5 when you turn RT on :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
3070 runs fine in many games with RT on, that also has 8 GB. The games that the 3070 runs fine on will still run fine on the 4060 Ti.

8 GB isn't going to become obsolete over night. Nvidia will offer a 16 GB VRAM version for those who fear using 8 GB cards.

Even with only 8 GB of VRAM these cards destroy the PS5 in RT :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I have a 3070. I used Rt until about march of this year. Since then I haven't turned it on once for new games because the performance was already bad without it and Vram was also at the limit.

Leonidas

I have a 3070. I used Rt until about march of this year. Since then I haven't turned it on once for new games because the performance was already bad without it and Vram was also at the limit.
What resolution are you gaming at, and what game did you have an issue with?

I had no issues in my ~2 years of owning the card.

Spyxos

Gold Member
What resolution are you gaming at, and what game did you have an issue with?

I had no issues in my ~2 years of owning the card.
1080p and 1440p. Forspoken, Last of Us 1, Resident Evil 4, Callisto Protocol, Star Wars Jedi Survival come to mind right now. Could be more.

Leonidas

1080p and 1440p. Forspoken, Last of Us 1, Resident Evil 4, Callisto Protocol, Star Wars Jedi Survival come to mind right now. Could be more.
I don't follow the VRAM thing since it doesn't concern me but that selection of games sounds like a greatest hits of 8 GB VRAM issues, if you really did buy all those games, why don't you upgrade your card. You had to have known those types of games had issues (unless you weren't paying attention).

I ended up selling my 3070 last month while it still held decent value and upgraded to something better. You should have done the same, now that the 4060 Ti is launching the 3070 will only go down in value...

PeteBull

A 16 GB variant exists, people who fear 8 GB VRAM can buy that.

No one can say when 8 GB will no longer be sufficient. As of today you can only point to one, maybe two games, which might end up being patched... I'll have to see a lot more current gen games than that having issues before I become worried about 8 GB on a 1080p GPU.
16gigs variant should be 400, 8gigs should be 350 max, but at 500$ for 16gigs, and still getting 128bit bus, both produtcs are simply terrible value, u either will go amd, or 300-329$ 4060 if u going for 1080p, or u go 600$ 4070 or amd equivalent (like rx 6800/6800xt) if u got bit more cash.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't follow the VRAM thing since it doesn't concern me but that selection of games sounds like a greatest hits of 8 GB VRAM issues, if you really did buy all those games, why don't you upgrade your card. You had to have known those types of games had issues (unless you weren't paying attention).

I ended up selling my 3070 last month while it still held decent value and upgraded to something better. You should have done the same, now that the 4060 Ti is launching the 3070 will only go down in value...
Wtf? If i really did buy? No, I watched them on youtube. And yes I was aware that many games have and will have problems. Magically double the card with more Vram I can not.

Money is tight right now and there is nothing I could afford right now that would really be an upgrade.

Last edited:

Leonidas

16gigs variant should be 400, 8gigs should be 350 max, but at 500$ for 16gigs, and still getting 128bit bus, both produtcs are simply terrible value, u either will go amd, or 300-329$ 4060 if u going for 1080p, or u go 600$ 4070 or amd equivalent (like rx 6800/6800xt) if u got bit more cash.
It's not great but it's better value than 3060 Ti and 3070. Those are still selling near MSRP...

4060 Ti is the best Nvidia card you can buy for $400.

Wtf? If i really did buy? No, I watched them on youtube. And yes I was aware that many games have and will have problems. Magically double the card with more Vram I can not.

Money is tight right now and there is nothing I could afford right now that would really be an upgrade.
I asked you which games you had issues with, yet you just come up with a list of all the games that are known to have issues on PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So, I'll ask again, which games did you actually play and have issues with? I had the 3070 for ~2 years and had no issues...

Spyxos

Gold Member
It's not great but it's better value than 3060 Ti and 3070. Those are still selling near MSRP...

I asked you which games you had issues with, yet you just come up with a list of all the games that are known to have issues on PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So, I'll ask again, which games did you actually play and have issues with? I had the 3070 for ~2 years and had no issues...
The list has still not changed. You asked me which games I had problems with, I told you which ones. Now you don't believe that I played them. Sounds like a your problem.

Last edited:
I would love to get back into PC gaming, but the value proposition right now is a bad joke. Sony will probably release a PS5 Pro next year, and again equalize a $499/$599 game console performance with PCs that cost over $2000 right now. It's ridiculous.

PeteBull

Its same thing saying rx 7900xtx was better value than rtx 4080, which it was, just simply both were so terrible that almost no1 was buying those and instead ppl went for 4090
And yup, basically no1 was buying 3060ti/3070 this year, so 4060ti being similar/better value than terrible value cards isnt amazing achievement :p

And here proof, steamsurvey, u can see data from december 2022 and how it changed to april 2023
Dec 2022 3070 was at 2,72%, april 2023 at 2,95%, effective change +0.23%
Dec 2020 3060ti was at 2,58%, april 2023 at 3,13% effective change + 0,55%

Now for comparision, u got 1600$ msrp 4090 that build up 0,43% in same timeframe, so sold almost 2x units of 3070, and not much less vs so much cheaper 3060ti.

Here link https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Shift!

Tech community responded the exact same way to my 6700xt.

Don't let it get you down, it's not personal.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
average-fps-2560-1440.png
A 10.5% gen-over-gen increase. Amazing. Best part is the 8GB VRAM.

What's funny is that this still has the best perf/$ of any 4000-series card so far. Although, a 3060 Ti at msrp could have accomplished the same thing.

Last edited:

Leonidas

What's funny is that this still has the best perf/$ of any 4000-series card so far. Although, a 3060 Ti at msrp could accomplish the same thing.
That tends to be the case, the further down the stack you go the better the perf/$.
4060 Ti is the best perf/$ Nvidia card today. 4060 will take that place next month as the 4060 Ti is 33% more expensive but won't be 33% faster than the 4060.

3060 Ti at MSRP can't match 4060 Ti in perf/$. 3060 Ti would need a 10-12% discount from MSRP to match 4060 Ti in perf/$.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
That tends to be the case, the further down the stack you go the better the value.
4060 Ti is the best perf/$ Nvidia card today. 4060 will take that place next month as the 4060 Ti is 33% more expensive but won't be 33% faster than the 4060.

3060 Ti at MSRP can't match 4060 Ti in perf/$. 3060 Ti would need a 10-12% discount from MSRP to match 4060 Ti in perf/$.
What I meant to say was, "could have accomplished the same thing". A $399 4060 Ti is a product that has no reason to exist.
Only because this is probably the worst generation of GPUs ever, because of price/performance. Both from NVidia and AMD.
It's just funny that this utter piece of trash still has the best value of any Ada card. AMD at least has some value in their last-gen cards. You can get a 6750 XT 12GB that's faster than the 4060 Ti at 1440p with 50% more VRAM for $330 with TLOU included.

Who at Nvidia thought it was a good idea to go through with the pricing for these? The negative backlash has been more fierce than anything Jensen has provoked previous.

PR disaster has to tell on the higher ups you'd think.

This is a 4050 disguised as a 4060 Ti the utter b*stards. And 8GB for $400 in 2023!!

Leonidas

What I meant to say was, "could have accomplished the same thing". A $399 4060 Ti is a product that has no reason to exist.
At least with the 4060 Ti you can say it's the fastest Nvidia card at $400, and it could be useful for those with tighter power requirements and maybe DLSS3 will be useful in some games...

The 7600 will have even less of a reason to exist IMO (AMD has been very quiet about it).

Newegg prices today
$199 A750
$199 6600
$249 6650 - maybe ~10% slower than 7600
$269 7600 - reviews hit tomorrow, maybe ~10% faster than 6650
$279 6700 10 GB
$319 6700 XT (faster and 50% more VRAM than 7600)

Will the 7600 get the full roasting treatment as well from the tech press?

Sad state of affairs when people are recommending cards from a nearly 3 year old architecture.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They will need a refresh in terms of pricing and what they offer on pretty much everything except the high end. And I'm not that happy with pricing there either if you didn't get the raw performance plus 24GB GDDR6X.

The VRAM issue is already becoming a thing. Releasing an 8GB card has to be for the low end and I get that master which you have to serve but the pricing with what you get vs last gen performance is way off.

And I like Jayz2cents. I did listen to the video before it got pulled (you can find it on Reddit archived), it did feel quite different that the GN video. But they had this arbitrary comparison for people coming from 2060's~. It's a weird climate with the way the consoles have moved the bar up and PC's seem to be struggling a little with these engines being more dependent on the higher ceiling that seems to be used more these days among other reasons.

I suspect reviewers will need to spend more time and change/adjust their review metrics because these are valid issues. Seems we in a paradigm shift when it comes to how the memory is being allocated with a bunch of new features which seem great but the implementation hasn't been as smooth as those on PC would have anticipated.

DaGwaphics

At least with the 4060 Ti you can say it's the fastest Nvidia card at $400, and it could be useful for those with tighter power requirements and maybe DLSS3 will be useful in some games...

The 7600 will have even less of a reason to exist IMO (it's no wonder AMD has been very quiet about it).

Newegg prices today
$199 A750
$199 6600
$249 6650 - maybe ~10% slower than 7600
$269 7600 - reviews hit tomorrow, maybe ~10% faster than 6650
$279 6700 10 GB
$319 6700 XT (faster and more VRAM than 7600)

Will the 7600 get the full roasting treatment as well from the tech press?

What argument are you trying to make there?

The 7600 will still be the "fastest AMD card at $269". And from that list will be the fastest pure raster card available at $269 (the 6650 already handles all the Arc cards outside of RT). There will certainly be talk of whether or not the 6650 or the 6700/XT are the better values while they exist, since the cards might be a bit more performant per dollar depending on how things shake out, but the same could be said for the 3060ti which is also starting to see discounts. Discounting outgoing products isn't some disastrous boogeyman, that's really what should always happen.

What matters more is how the 7600 performs vs. the 4060.

Both of those cards might not get as much heat for the 8GB as you are starting to get closer to the price points where 1080p GPUs live.

The 6600 could not hold its own vs. the 3060 at the same price point and had less memory. If they can stay on par and be less expensive that is at least better positioning for them than last time.

Leonidas

And yet we had good Upgrades every gen, and now just the biggest chips have great upgrades meanwhile the lower ones are always fucked.
They gave people a reason to upgrade to the 4090. Last gen they gave away 90% of the 3090 at half the price with the 3080 (GA102).

You also had to pay for the higher tier performance in the 20-series with the 2080 Ti being $1200, vs the $699 1080 Ti, and the rest of the 20-series stack wasn't great, the Supers were okay though.

What argument are you trying to make there?

That the 7600 could be ~10% faster than the 6650 XT while costing 8% more than what you can pick up a 6650 XT today... that would be an even worse perf/$ increase than 3060 Ti to 4060 Ti...

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That the 7600 could be ~10% faster than the 6650 XT while costing 8% more than what you can pick up a 6600 XT today... that would be an even worse perf/$ increase than 3060 Ti to 4060 Ti...

I don't see how that's much different at all. If you are going to factor in discounted closeout cards, the 3060ti can be had for $377 eating up 6% of the frame per dollar advantage, and that will likely get worse in the coming weeks. AMD and Nvidia need to clear these cards, so, that is expected behavior. The 3000 and 6000 series cards will be irrelevant in short order.

The difference is that the Nvidia card is the true successor to the replaced card, the AMD isn't. If the 7600 proves to be the true successor of the 6650, the performance jump isn't that great, no. But, at least they would have lowered the starting MSRP there substantially ($399 vs $270) which they needed to do since the 6650 at MSRP was a horrible value in comparison to the 60ti. It looks like the 7600 will be an acceptable value vs. the vanilla 4060 at this point (just going by leaks and how both seem to compare to the 3060), but we'll have to see how they compare. The 7700 will be the competition for the 4060ti, we don't know what that is yet.

Not that I think either the 4060 or 7600 are going to have people dancing in the streets. The gen over gen price to performance improvements simple aren't there this time around.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I don't see how that's much different at all. If you are going to factor in discounted closeout cards, the 3060ti can be had for $377 eating up 6% of the frame per dollar advantage, and that will likely get worse in the coming weeks. AMD and Nvidia need to clear these cards, so, that is expected behavior. The 3000 and 6000 series cards will be irrelevant in short order.
3060 Ti discounts are a recent thing.

People have had a lot of time to get RDNA2 cards at similar price/performance as 7600, it's not the same situation.

There is also a big difference between 6% on RTX 3060 Ti and multiple RDNA 2 models being 30-40% off.

And yet here I am with a 2080 that is more powerful than the consoles on paper, but I'm getting blown away by them.
You should be okay in most games if you turn down to console settings...

Last edited:

raduque

So.. wait

How do you say the PS5 blows the card away if you don't lower settings to console equivalent? How does that work?
PS5 games with RT run better than they do on my PC.

Take Hogwarts Legacy for example. I turn on RT and even at console-comparable settings, I get FPS drops into the low 20s, mid-teens at 1080p, and it barely touches 30.

I should not have to drop the game's settings to console-equivelant to hold 60 fps (or in my case, 75, as that's why my monitors are).

DaGwaphics

3060 Ti discounts are a recent thing.

People have had a lot of time to get RDNA2 cards at similar price/performance as 7600, it's not the same situation.

There is also a big difference between 6% on RTX 3060 Ti and multiple RDNA 2 models being 30-40% off.

You should be okay in most games if you turn down to console settings...

The 4060ti is basically in the same spot, the real-world bump is so minuscule for the card at 1440p, which is probably what most of the 60ti owners are looking to play at ($399 is a high price to pay for 1080p), you could make the argument that the 3060ti has basically been occupying this space for years now. The 3070 and 4060ti were too close together really, the 3070 was a very bad value in comparison to the 3060ti. The 4060ti moving up to that really isn't a big deal.

Screenshot-2023-05-23-185556.png

At the end of the day you are talking 3 or 4 additional frames on average and maybe 1 to 2 fps gained in the 1% lows. With a couple of the newer releases actually coming in worse (and most games are going to be more bandwidth constrained going forward because the XSX/PS5 have raised the floor considerably here between generations).

The 3060ti was one of the best cards of the last generation of GPUs, what really matters is what Nvidia and AMD can do around that price point in comparison to it. Nvidia has shown their hand and has opted to not really raise the bar all that much, we'll have to see if AMD or Intel can find bigger improvements in the budget 1440p space.

Last edited:

Leonidas

The 4060ti is basically in the same spot...
I used Techpowerup 1080p numbers, where there was a 12% difference. Still not great but it's something, and it does so while using less power... and there is DLSS3... I just don't see it as being the same... if there was no DLSS3 and if the wattage was closer to last gen then it would be closer to what it sounds like AMD is doing.

If 7600 turns out how it sounds, there will be no reason to get it over discounted last gen RDNA2s.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

PS5 games with RT run better than they do on my PC.

Well no, Hogwarts Legacy lacks RTAO and RT shadows. So "high" RT reflections, at 1440p target, with FSR 1, sub 30 fps. It's a poor experience on consoles too.

Take Hogwarts Legacy for example. I turn on RT and even at console-comparable settings, I get FPS drops into the low 20s, mid-teens at 1080p, and it barely touches 30.
I should not have to drop the game's settings to console-equivelant to hold 60 fps (or in my case, 75, as that's why my monitors are).

It's heavily CPU limited so really, with just a 2080 it's not telling. By that statement, a 3060 is exceeding your performance by far and that's odd.

But it's also one of the worst port of the year. 🤷‍♂️

How about Returnal? Plague tales requiem? Forza Horizon 5? Atomic Heart? Microsoft Flight sim? Spiderman?

Ev1L AuRoN

8Gb is barely enough for today's games, once you factor in RT, 8Gb is nothing. Why launch a good chip with great RT and DLSS capabilities only to be limited by VRAM. Why buying a card thinking about RT when NVIDIA KNOW 8Gb isn't gonna cut it. Worthless feature on a 8gb GPU.

PS5 is no doubt weaker, but the truth of the matter is that it perform amazingly on a big 4k TV. I love PC but I'm jaded with all the problems around it. Shader compilation issues, stutters, vram problems, it took most of the pleasure of sitting down and playing a game, a lot o friction.

PS5 turns on fast, even faster it launches games, in a few minutes I'm playing a perfect 4k60 game (Yes I know, it's not native, it's the same thing on PC, I play using DLSS for everything)

I'll be back on PC when they figure out DX12 and we have a good deal on the GPU space, it will be a while, but I'm not in a hurry, I'm enjoying my PS5...

Hoddi

Pretty big disappointment. When was the last time an x60 struggled to match a 5 year old high-end GPU? Has that ever happened before?

Top Bottom