• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4060 Ti review thread

winjer

Gold Member
12.5 gb. the rest is reserved for the OS.

PS5 was indeed outperforming the 3070 in some of the more recent games due to the vram bottlenecks but this shouldnt be an issue for the 16 GB 4060 Ti. Also, TLOU and hogwarts both received patches to improve its vram usage so they are likely outperforming the PS5 as they should.

The PS5 was performing like a 3060 Ti in some AMD sponsored games so if this is indeed 15% more powerful, it should be better than the PS5 especially in ray tracing and if DLSS is enabled.

Windows and programs also use some vram. Of course, disabling transparencies and hardware acceleration can reduce vram usage bfor background tasks and programs to around 0.5Gb.
But most gamers won't do that, so they'll probably use around 1Gb of vram, leaving only 7Gb for the game. Maybe less.

Last edited:

Leonidas

That's not how it works really. I mean just look at something like 3070 already, which is a lot more powerful than the PS5 GPU on paper, and yet we are already seeing that GPU struggle due to the 8GB limitation (and abundant crappy optimization seen on many recent PC games).

In two years time, a $400 lunch PS5 DE will perform better than this GPU in 95% of the games releasing at that time... would in fact happily bet on that.
I have a PS5 DE and used a 3070 for nearly 2 years before upgrading. The 3070 performs better.

There is a 16 GB variant of the 4060 Ti coming next month.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
AMD already firing shots

AMD-RADEON-RX-7600-PRICE-HERO-bANNER-768x224.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Windows and programs also use some vram. Of course, disabling transparencies and hardware acceleration can reduce vram usage bfor background tasks and programs to around 0.5Gb.
But most gamers won't do that, so they'll probably use around 1Gb of vram, leaving only 7Gb for the game. Maybe less.
Sorry, I thought this was the review thread for the 16GB $499 version. I see that comes out next month.

8GB card for $399 is awful lol.

Sleepwalker

I have a PS5 DE and used a 3070 for nearly 2 years before upgrading. The 3070 performs better.

There is a 16 GB variant of the 4060 Ti coming next month.
Just because you bought a 4070 doesn't mean you're now an Nvidia rep or shareholder. This thing is trash for the price.

Leonidas

So, do you think it's good value at 400usd? In 2023? With 8gb of VRAM?
It's better value than 3060 Ti and 3070 at their current market value.
I don't care about that GPU being a bit more powerful or not, it can't beat he PS5's total value proposition. Rendering that GPU useless.
Congrats, but some dudes argued the PS5 GPU was faster when it is not...

Last edited:

Leonidas

Just because you bought a 4070 doesn't mean you're now an Nvidia rep or shareholder. This thing is trash for the price.
I'm just pointing out facts that are obvious to me. Since when did PS5 have a GPU that was within 3-8% of a 2080 Ti to make people say the PS5 GPU is faster?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Friendly reminder that AMDs ceo is a close relative of Nvidias ceo
yeah, they are cousins.

The problem is that both RDNA3 and Ada lovelace couldnt offer a 1:1 increase in performance as they increased the tflops. they are either running into moore's law already or their architectures need a complete redesign.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
looks like should have skiped the 8gb one and made the 16gb $400 then would be good card...

Senua

I'm not one of these LOL 8GB vram guys in general, especially since my 1080 has that amount and plays most of the newest games absolutely peachy at 1080p, to release the TI version of the 4060 in 2023 with that same amount (also only 2gb more than the 1060) and make you pay $100 more for a non gimped version is just totally unacceptable. God I hate nvidia and if I didn't love PC gaming so damn much despite its recent issues I'd fuck it right off into the same place rolf harris is destined.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That is as bad as this 4060Ti. If not worse, as it's only a 30$ diference, but we get a GPU made in N6, FSR2 is worse than DLSS2, worse ray tracing performance, and still no Frame Generation.
Screw NVidia and screw AMD, for scalping gamers.

The 4060Ti is 399 with no founders editions.
The 4060Ti'16G is 499.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
That is as bad as this 4060Ti. If not worse, as it's only a 30$ diference, but we get a GPU made in N6, FSR2 is worse than DLSS2, worse ray tracing performance, and still no Frame Generation.
Screw NVidia and screw AMD, for scalping gamers.

100% agreed.
Everything about Navi 33 is screaming "low manufacturing cost".

It's using a small 200mm^2 chip made on the old N6 process that targets low-cost production, on a 128bit bus using cheap 18Gbps GDDR6. That card shouldn't cost more than $230 to the public.

AMD is just trying to chase after Nvidia's failures and making themselves look stupid in the process. No one is going to save $30 to buy a RX 7600 over a $300 4060.

FingerBang

4060 Ti performs like a 2080 Ti at 1080p. 4% worse at 1440p and 8% worse at 4K.

PS5 performs like a mid-range last gen AMD GPU when you turn on RT.
I agree that the comparison with a PS5 is stupid, but so it's the 2080ti one.

The memory capacity and memory bandwidth are making this card a piece of crap for new games. $400 to play games at 1080p medium? What year is it again?

This is a terrible buy. Again, either spend more for a 4070 if you care that much about Nviida or just go for an RDNA2 card. This is a joke.

Last edited:

Bojji

Congratulations to Nvidia on releasing a product that makes the 4070 look amazing.

4060ti will have even worse P/P ratio. At least with 4070 you have 600$ GPU that have more or less the same performance as 700$ 3080 and 2 more gb of VRAM. With 4060ti you gain nothing lol.

4090 - expensive but powerful as fuck
4080 - way too expensive
4070ti - expensive but the most important thing is mere 12gb of VRAM, for 800$ people should expect more
4070 - should be cheaper but it's quite ok overall
Everything below doesn't look good at all.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Wow, this is a lot worse than I had figured.

Yikes. I knew they were marketing this at 1080p but I didn't realize that the entire performance gain would evaporate at 1440p. I can't see why they even bother with the 16GB version with how bad this performs at 1440p.
The performance doesn't drop off much at 1440p.

Vs. the 2080 Ti/3070 Techpowerup has it 0-1% slower at 1080p and 3-4% slower at 1440p...

Nothing about the review numbers surprise me, we all knew it would drop some percent at higher res...

Last edited:

hinch7

I can't see why any sane person who just wants to play games, build a pc where the GPU alone is the same or more expensive than a PS5!!

4060ti with 8GB vram cost the same as ps5 is insane.

I was and always have been a PC gamer, but it's ridiculously expensive now!!
Consoles have always been cheaper though. Sony and Microsoft can take the hit because they make their money from software, being platform holders.

Don't disagree though. Pricing this generation has been awful for the specs and performance gained. A lot of which contributes to an almost shrinkflation of specs where everything is pushed down a tier and priced up one lol.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
It's fascinating how Nvidia's decision to jack prices and cut core count on the 4080 has effected the whole product stack, apart from the halo 4090.

Then we got AMD not even attempting to be competitive, it's got me rooting for battlemage. 🤣😭

Hot5pur

Yikes, kinda makes me feel good about my 3060Ti/3080 builds.
If I was buying anything this gen it would be the 4070, but I would wait and let prices adjust or for the inevitable refresh.
Seems there is a lot of old GPU stock and they are not making a good value proposition on the new gen to sell the old stuff.
I can't see these prices continuing this way, the eventual PS5 Pro / XSX^2 will just be a far better value proposition for high end gaming when they release.
If I was thinking of building today I'd do a 6950 or a 4070 build, probably more the former as raytracing is a waste and FSR is competitive enough at this point.

FingerBang

4060ti will have even worse P/P ratio.

4090 - expensive but powerful as fuck
4080 - way too expensive
4070ti - expensive but the most important thing is mere 12gb of VRAM, for 800$ people should expect more
4070 - should be cheaper but it's quite ok overall
Everything below doesn't look good at all.
To be fair the 4080 is still impressive and powerful. It's the only card with the 4090 that at least is named correctly, even though they used an "inferior" chip compared to the 3080.

What Nvidia has done with the others is simply choose an inferior chip compared to the previous generation AND named it 2 tiers higher.

The 4070ti should be 4060ti (or maybe could pass for a 4070 since it worked for the 4080). The 4070 should be 4060. The 4060ti should be a 4050ti.

That's because that 2+ year old 6700 XT is currently 30-40% off. Any card can become good value if you discount it enough.

6700 XT even with the discounts still loses to the 4060 Ti perf/$ in RT though.
RT doesn't yield playable framerates on either card so that really an non issue.

The reality is this joke of a card has a gen-on-gen improvement of just 10% at the same price! And still struggles to play the latest even at its advertised (but altogether ridiculous) preferred resolution of 1080p due to its VRAM limitations. Last of us at 1080p? Out of VRAM. Plauge tale requium at 1080p? Out of VRAM.

It's pathetic.

marjo

That's because that 2+ year old 6700 XT is currently 30-/40% off. Any card can become good value if you discount it enough.

6700 XT even with the discounts still loses to the 4060 Ti perf/$ in RT though.

If by 'loses' you mean beats then you are correct. And the 6700 XT has 16 Gigs of VRAM, which actually puts it in direct competition with the upcoming $500 4060TI. It's not even close.

UcGd2SP.png

Top Bottom