• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Mystic654

MSI-GTX-980-Lightning-Facebook.png

Shame it's going to be yellow again. Would have waited but it clashes with my theme.

----

Picked up a 980 Ti over the weekend. a MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G.

Anyone have issues with shadow of mordor? I have a gigabyte card and are running at 1440p. I'm in the second area (with lots of vegetation) and are getting frame rates in the 40's. Settings maxed out.

This is on a new build, if that matters.

Kezen

Banned
Anyone have issues with shadow of mordor? I have a gigabyte card and are running at 1440p. I'm in the second area (with lots of vegetation) and are getting frame rates in the 40's. Settings maxed out.

If you're running max settings I don't think there is anything wrong.

Seems wrong to me... it's been a while, but I don't remember my frames dipping below 50-55 very often with just a single 980. I could see what happens now with SLI disabled.... though it would be 3440x1440.

Seems like they left out the Gigabyte G1 in a lot of the comparisons. Seems like out of the box, the Gigabyte is faster (by a small margin)

But it runs cooler and quieter, which is impressive to say the least.

On air, it overclocks the same as all the others of course.

But as impressive as it is, we cannot pass 1500 MHz on this card, which pretty much is similar to what we noticed as well with the competitions liquid cooled Poseidon. It seems that custom boards with their own PWM controllers are more tricky to deal with for the GM-200-310 GPU. So yeah, these boards all clock roughly the same.

Every year or so MSI releases a Lightning model, and when I get the news I walk around like a kid waiting on some new toys in my office. Once the new toy arrived I did have that big smile on my face. After three days of testing I am however a little dimmed about my excitement. Hey you guys know me, and I tell it like it is, I expected more tweaking performance from this Lightning model.

paskowitz

Seems like they left out the Gigabyte G1 in a lot of the comparisons. Seems like out of the box, the Gigabyte is faster (by a small margin)

But it runs cooler and quieter, which is impressive to say the least.

On air, it overclocks the same as all the others of course.

Personally, I am pretty underwhelmed. On air, the Kingpin (historically, this card's main rival) performs far better (even though neither card is really meant to be on air).

Which again, begs the question... why on earth do board partners release custom PCB cards with air coolers? For Pascal I really hope this changes and we see AIO water coolers and AIO with custom loop expansion for custom PCB cards. It is like doing an engine swap in a mid tier sports car and then keeping the stock tires... I understand the need to be compatible with the largest number of systems, but the vast majority of cases today have room for at least 1 140mm mount.

650 is plenty for a single card.

What's the graphics score? That's really the only score that matters. Are you overclocking the card at all? Without overclocking, this is what I was getting on the EVGA SC+

After overclockocking it a bit....

I've got around a 225 mhz OC on my TI and I'm still barely reaching your non-OCd score and I have the same CPU. Not sure why I can't push it farther.

harz-marz

Just trying out Far Cry 4 with this card... coupled with an overclocked i5 6600K @ 4.5... wow it looks so pretty!

Getting a stable 65-100 fps @ 1440P. Very happy!

Grassy

What do you get on the benchmark? Is your in-game resolution set to 100%, not 150% or something?
I did a benchmark run last night with everything on Ultra @ 1440p, and my average fps was ~78. That was with one stock EVGA SC 980 Ti, i7 6700K @ 4.7, Windows 10, 355.80 drivers.

longdi

Banned

paskowitz

Hmm I think I may have found the 980 Ti I want.

Looks wise I can't argue, especially if you have a yellow theme. But cost to performance ratio wise there are better options.

You must won a pretty high ASIC% card. That score is too awesome for our eyes!

Kind of pointless paying $749 for this when it is still down to pure luck of the draw for overclocking the 980Ti. That is unless you buy an even more expensive 980Ti KPE.

I rather save money and try my luck on something like the affordable Classified, which would do well not being limited by TDP power.

I would say I have an above average card. Some Classifieds can go to 1550-1570 and 22k GPU score in FS. IMO the best cards are either the Classy or Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

Looks wise I can't argue, especially if you have a yellow theme. But cost to performance ratio wise there are better options.

Indeed, I was thinking about a yellow theme but I'm still weighing my options before making the final purchase.

Looked at the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid earlier but it didn't fit the aesthetic I was going for. As a result I'm still eyeing the ASUS STRIX or MSI Gaming 6G.

Honestly, in real world scenarios, most of the non-reference models do pretty well. As for overclocking, most non-reference models seem to get in the 1450 -1500 range and the difference between good and ok overclockers is like a frame or 2 in most games. Cooling and noise is really the differentiator, not so much real performance or even overclocking potential.

GRaider81

Honestly, in real world scenarios, most of the non-reference models do pretty well. As for overclocking, most non-reference models seem to get in the 1450 -1500 range and the difference between good and ok overclockers is like a frame or 2 in most games. Cooling and noise is really the differentiator, not so much real performance or even overclocking potential.

I was going to ask something similar.

I bought a 970 a couple of months ago which was part of my first build in years. I enjoyed the afterburner tool tinkering wth it and trying to push it. I then realised, was it worth it?

Is extra voltage heat etc worth it for a couple of extra frames? I think I got maybe an extra 4 -6 fps.

Ive since bought a 980ti twin Frozr and I love it. But again is it really worth OCing it?

Granted I'm a complete noob to thje PC and overclocking game but it seems its all about benchmarking scores with very little actual real game performance being affected.

Am I wrong?

PS: I overclocked my CPU, that seems to make much more difference to GPU overclocking?

I personally think it's worth overclocking as far as you can on stock voltage if the card has good cooling. I don't like adding voltage on a GPU only because it typically doesn't result in a whole lot more performance.

I was going to ask something similar.

I bought a 970 a couple of months ago which was part of my first build in years. I enjoyed the afterburner tool tinkering wth it and trying to push it. I then realised, was it worth it?

I get at least 15 more FPS In Witcher 3 with my overclock compared to the out-of-the-box settings. It's 170mhz more (per card in SLI). That's not nothing.

What I don't think is worth it is pushing my cards to the limit with a custom bios while air cooling. I get a lot more heat from the added voltage and power. It's a struggle to keep 2 non-reference 980TIs cool without water.

The Goat

Finally got my new Skylake build completed today. Time to do some stress testing! Oh, and if any of you purchased the card from Newegg, start a chat with them and request a different game to replace the jank Batman AK. Just got MGS V :)

Grassy

I get at least 15 more FPS In Witcher 3 with my overclock compared to the out-of-the-box settings. It's 170mhz more (per card in SLI). That's not nothing.

What I don't think is worth it is pushing my cards to the limit with a custom bios while air cooling. I get a lot more heat from the added voltage and power. It's a struggle to keep 2 non-reference 980TIs cool without water.

The EVGA SC reference cards aren't much better IMO. Unless you have a custom fan curve of course, but then they're noisy as fuck.

How are you guys doing this Firestrike score thing? Says I gotta pay a lot to use it.

You should be able to download the demo from the Steam store, IIRC you can still run the standard Firestrike benchmark but you have to watch the demo every time you run it.
It normally goes on sale for ~$10 or so every now and then.

paskowitz

The EVGA SC reference cards aren't much better IMO. Unless you have a custom fan curve of course, but then they're noisy as fuck.

You should be able to download the demo from the Steam store, IIRC you can still run the standard Firestrike benchmark but you have to watch the demo every time you run it.
It normally goes on sale for ~$10 or so every now and then.

You can press alt tab to skip the demo.

paskowitz

Sorry for the double post...

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5828327
U7xkkrul.png

A little bit more. I have been reading on the overclocked forums and it seems with anything but the KPE, once you hit 1.23V (measured on a digital multimeter), whatever clock you have at that point, regardless of temp, is going to be your highest stable clock. That seems to be the limit for the 980 ti in terms of stable voltage. YMMV, but this seems to be pretty consistent

Grassy

Sorry for the double post...

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5828327
U7xkkrul.png

A little bit more. I have been reading on the overclocked forums and it seems with anything but the KPE, once you hit 1.23V (measured on a digital multimeter), whatever clock you have at that point, regardless of temp, is going to be your highest stable clock. That seems to be the limit for the 980 ti in terms of stable voltage. YMMV, but this seems to be pretty consistent

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/5847171/fs/5828327

Your graphics score is far better than mine, almost a ~600 point difference with similar core clocks, although your memory clock is a bit higher than mine. I think my core boosted to 1490 or so on that run(EVGA SC). You have a Classified right?

paskowitz

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/5847171/fs/5828327

Your graphics score is far better than mine, almost a ~600 point difference with similar core clocks, although your memory clock is a bit higher than mine. I think my core boosted to 1490 or so on that run(EVGA SC). You have a Classified right?

Yep, Classy. Mine boosts very well though. In Firestrike it sits at 1534Mhz or there abouts. That is still a really solid graphics score (and overall score).

I actually had a higher graphics score in this run: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5703278, but an overall lower score (which I don't understand... but ok).

Yep, Classy. Mine boosts very well though. In Firestrike it sits at 1534Mhz or there abouts. That is still a really solid graphics score (and overall score).

I actually had a higher graphics score in this run: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5703278, but an overall lower score (which I don't understand... but ok).

The overall score is heavily affected by the physics and combined scores. And those will also fluctuate from run to run for whatever reason. Therefore I always ignore the overall score. You can smash my 3770k score with a 5960k but the actual game performance comes down to the GPU 99% of the time.

baphomet

Yea, I'm pulling ~30k graphics score, but my overall score gets lowered significantly due to physics and combined tests.

Grassy

Today is a good day. The new Nvidia 355.82 MGS V/Mad Max drivers have fixed the SLI issues with Skylake, and after 3 months of waiting my Hybrid coolers finally arrived:

20150901_093732copyjcs7a.jpg

I'm going to install them on my EVGA SC's later today.

The Goat

I've been doing a lot of OC testing, and I just can't break 17K score. I'm using the EVGA Precision app to OC my EVGA SC+ . You guys recommend using something else? GPU clock on my card is a champ, can push over sustained 1530+ in Firestrike. It seems to be the ram that won't OC well on the card. I'm thinking it's just software OC'ing with Precision isn't putting out the numbers like some of you are hitting.

I'll keep pushing until I at least break 17k!

paskowitz

I've been doing a lot of OC testing, and I just can't break 17K score. I'm using the EVGA Precision app to OC my EVGA SC+ . You guys recommend using something else? GPU clock on my card is a champ, can push over sustained 1530+ in Firestrike. It seems to be the ram that won't OC well on the card. I'm thinking it's just software OC'ing with Precision isn't putting out the numbers like some of you are hitting.

I'll keep pushing until I at least break 17k!

Try afterburner. Make sure your case is open and fans are at 100%. Try lowering your core clock and increasing mem. I remember reading FS is dependant on both. Crank your copy up as far as it will go. I have mine at 5.0Ghz and 1.37V. That's not practical for everyday use, but for a couple benches you can push things a little further.

Ally1987

Today is a good day. The new Nvidia 355.82 MGS V/Mad Max drivers have fixed the SLI issues with Skylake, and after 3 months of waiting my Hybrid coolers finally arrived:

20150901_093732copyjcs7a.jpg

I'm going to install them on my EVGA SC's later today.

Do you know how much rpm the fans that comes with the kit are?

V truly has come to, the 355.82 MGSV drivers fixed my Win10 issues and I'm getting close to letting Win10 onto my gaming PC. The drivers are running great on my media PC right now.

Ally1987

It's variable depending on GPU temperature. I replaced it with Noctua NF-P12's though.

Aiit. how much rpm is that noctua fan? is it noisy?

I replaced mine with two eLoop B12-3. One wasn't enough, but much less noisy than the awful noisy fan that comes with the kit

Grassy

Aiit. how much rpm is that noctua fan? is it noisy?

I replaced mine with two eLoop B12-3. One wasn't enough, but much less noisy than the awful noisy fan that comes with the kit

Nah they're super quiet. I'm running two NF-P12 PWM's on each radiator in push/pull, and I have them set-up with a custom fan curve. This chart will help give a better idea:

nf12pwmljkfa.jpg

Here's a video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWoSM70Ame4

At idle, while browsing the internet, listening to music etc. the fans are at roughly ~250rpm which is maybe 8-9db. The GPU temps sit in the low 30's.
For gaming I have the curve starting at about ~800rpm, ramping up to roughly 1100rpm maximum with GPU temps roughly ~45-55 degrees. I'm still tweaking it though, but the fans are close to silent even at the higher speeds, I can't even tell my PC is running while gaming.

Huge difference from the 980 Ti reference blowers, well worth the change. I have a Noctua DH-15 CPU cooler as well. And no, I'm not a Noctua salesman, but I guess you could call me a Noctua fanboy now :)

Top Bottom