• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060/2070 Super Review Thread. New $399/$499 GPU King.

llien

Why are you so angry. The 2070 Super Founders Edition is superior to the 5700 XT in every possible way.

Why would anyone buy a 450$ RX 5700 XT?
Oh, good to see the nuance now, chuckle.
Hardware unboxed sees only single digit advantage of 2070 Super over old 2070.
It makes 5700XT around 10% slower (based on shown benchmarks) and about 10% cheaper based on announced price.

5700 is likely FASTER and 5% cheaper.

Why are these cards "dead on arrival" again?

Last edited:

Goff2k

What WEIRD comparisons..
Sure would be nice to see the 2080 SUPER compared to a.... I dunno, regular 2080 perhaps?
tenor.gif

It's for suckers like me who has a 1080ti lol

Ivellios

The 2070 Super is nice and a great option for those with only $500 to spend.

However the 2060 Super is an absolute disaster in terms of price. $400 is too fucking much for a 60 series GPU.

As for those of you saying that Radeon 5700 and 5700 XT are dead on arrival, can we at least wait until we see the fucking benchmarks before making those statements? Nobody has any clue what the performance numbers are for Navi and its entirely possible AMD can pull off a 4850 and offer competitive performance for the price. I certainly wouldn't get your hopes up for that, but we will see.

The way i see it, the RTX 2060 Super is the same performance as a vanilla rtx 2070, only $100 cheaper.

Its a solid 1440p card, and if you stay at 1080p it can even run some mid Ray tracing with good performance, without DSSL.

Expensive for a xx60 series sure, but its not a bad price/performance card imo.

Kenpachii

I think so too, atleast for the launch period, but afterwards they kind of have to.
Probably in September or after they are going to reduce the prices, but for Ryzen 3000 launch period they are keeping it at 380$/450$ because that is where most people buy new rigs and have to have a new GPU aswell.

I still think many will go for the 2060 Super and 2070 Super instead though. They make more sense

The question is also "how much can they cut?" because I am certain AMD has higher manufacturing costs for those 5700 cards than Nvidia has with their 12nm counterparts

Drop the card for 200 bucks and people will buy it. 2060 super is still going to cost people 400 bucks at the end of the day.

Ivellios

You're not getting decent performance with ray tracing using this card. That option is out the window.

There are some videos on YouTube of Metro Exodus and Battlefield 5 running at 1080p/60fps with ray tracing on, by playing on high quality instead of ultra. Without DSSL

xPikYx

Honestly I wasn't giving much credit to the new Navi cards before, now even worst, rtx 2070 super at that price point is best buy a part for 1080ti owners unless they wanna give ray tracing a go, 2070s for them is worth too.

joe_zazen

just a reminder that nvidia has a large social media (and regular media) marketing team. not saying anyone here is on the payroll, but if you spend time looking at this stuff, your pov is bound to be influenced by that money.

back in the day, anandtech was unbiased, but that was before he sold out to work for apple. dont know where neural parties go now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Ellery

Oh, good to see the nuance now, chuckle.
Hardware unboxed sees only single digit advantage of 2070 Super over old 2070.
It makes 5700XT around 10% slower (based on shown benchmarks) and about 10% cheaper based on announced price.

5700 is likely FASTER and 5% cheaper.

Why are these cards "dead on arrival" again?

Not many people are going to buy them at $449 if they have better alternatives with more features.

Lets see if I find some reviews ... oh there we go .. we have plenty of reviews !

x7XUQZW.jpg

x5ZoVmP.jpg

3vqn5TT.jpg

NwImi8F.jpg

wGzPCFI.jpg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Still in no hurry to upgrade my 970 as performance is good enough for me in 1080p for what I play and I'm not fussed about raytracing.

I'll consider upgrading once I can't play some next gen stuff in 1080p at a stable 30fps with decent settings (i.e. mostly high at least). I'd probably look for whatever 2x70 series it out vs. a year old one at that time and find a price/performance sweet spot.

joe_zazen

Not many people are going to buy them at $449 if they have better alternatives with more features.

thing is, as you can see by how MS & Google conduct themselves now, angry marketing from an evil corp that doesn't hide its evil doesn't work with millenials and younger. idk if nvidia has got that memo yet, so many might choose AMD simply because of nvidia stench no matter the benches.

idk how into pc gaming they are, so it might not matter. shrug

Last edited:

Robot Pants

So. I have a 1050ti currently.
I've been waiting for Black Friday to get a 2080 to see if it drops in price before the Supers were even announced.
NOW, knowing that the Supers are coming out AND with Black Friday deals, the regular 2080 could possibly be even cheaper.
But if I upgrade from my 1050ti, to a regular 2080 and not a Super 2080, am I gonna be a laughing stock?

Other Specs:
i5-8600k
16gig DDR4 Ram
Staples Mousepad

Ivellios

Uh. No. You don't get 60 fps in Metro Exodus without ray tracing on a 2060 at 1080p
2019-02-15-image.png
Here is a Battlefield 5 video from Digital Foundry

Here is another vídeo of Metro Exodus running at 60 FPS with RTX on on ultra without DSSL. It does falls a little below 60fps to 55fps sometimes.

Ellery

thing is, as you can see by how MS & Google conduct themselves now, angry marketing from an evil corp that doesn't hide its evil doesn't work with millenials and younger. idk if nvidia has got that memo yet, so many might choose AMD simply because of nvidia stench no matter the benches.

idk how into pc gaming they are, so it might not matter. shrug

I am with you. I hate Nvidia. I hate their pricing and constantly pushing proprietary things and going higher prices each generation (as long as they can), but the thing is they can because AMD doesn't really challenge them enough.

At the end of the day I buy the better product, but if AMD and Nvidia both released the very same product with the same exact performance, power consumption, thermals, noise and feature set I would always pick AMD.

In many price segments I would actually recommend AMD cards like the 570 and 580 (atleast if you are living in a country that has not to worry about the electricity bill, which sadly I have to do), but the 2060 Super and 2070 Super are good price/perf cards and have a good package. I think if anyone picks the 5700 over the 2060 Super or the 5700 XT over the 2070 Super that it is a bad decision, but I am not stopping people. I would actually love if people bought the entire 5700 series inventory, but I wouldn't understand it

llien

What makes a slower $400 card "a better alternative" to faster $379 card?
5700xt is just about right with 10% slower and cheaper.

The rest of your post... not sure who you are talking to. What points were you trying to make with those charts?

Seems like 2070 Super is worth the upgrade from my 1070ti?
It is faster, but also more expensive.

Last edited:

Ellery

What makes a slower $400 card "a better alternative" to faster $379 card?
5700xt is just about right with 10% slower and cheaper.

The rest of your post... not sure who you are talking to. What points were you trying to make with those charts?

because I don't look at graphics card and only see performance and price (of a reference blower card).

Different people have different priorities, I get that, for me noise and power draw are also very important and have to make sense.
We will see more on 7.7. and the full picture will unfold, but I would be ready to bet that the RX 5700 XT runs hotter, louder and more power hungry than the 2070 Super and possibly even the RTX 2080.

The charts I linked were basically questioning why you cherry picked one result from Hardware Unboxed, I actually love those guys and I frequently watch those videos, to put the 2070 Super into perspective. All reviews I found show atleast double digit performance increase over the standard 2070. Most around 12% but some as high as 18%. It all depends on the benchmarks they have chosen and that is why I included 5 independent results from 5 different reviewers into my post.

Kenpachii

because I don't look at graphics card and only see performance and price (of a reference blower card).

Different people have different priorities, I get that, for me noise and power draw are also very important and have to make sense.
We will see more on 7.7. and the full picture will unfold, but I would be ready to bet that the RX 5700 XT runs hotter, louder and more power hungry than the 2070 Super and possibly even the RTX 2080.

The charts I linked were basically questioning why you cherry picked one result from Hardware Unboxed, I actually love those guys and I frequently watch those videos, to put the 2070 Super into perspective. All reviews I found show atleast double digit performance increase over the standard 2070. Most around 12% but some as high as 18%. It all depends on the benchmarks they have chosen and that is why I included 5 independent results from 5 different reviewers into my post.

Main reason i ditched my 290's for 970, heat and power draw and sound.

Shit was no joke in the summer.

Last edited:

manfestival

seems like AMD failed to set sail during their hype and Nvidia managed to steal the show from them... YET AGAIN.
Anyways, it seems like this is the actual performance people were hoping for from the 20 series... not what they released less than a year ago. I have a 2080 that might just end up getting outperformed by a 2070 super or even a future 2070ti

Then you’d be making a dumb decision.
The 1080 Ti is still faster than the 2070 super in most non-RTX games.

Yeah, I was joking.

It's a sidegrade, at best. And a downgrade at worst.

Hence my initial post: this gpu gen is boring.

So. I have a 1050ti currently.
I've been waiting for Black Friday to get a 2080 to see if it drops in price before the Supers were even announced.
NOW, knowing that the Supers are coming out AND with Black Friday deals, the regular 2080 could possibly be even cheaper.
But if I upgrade from my 1050ti, to a regular 2080 and not a Super 2080, am I gonna be a laughing stock?

Other Specs:
i5-8600k
16gig DDR4 Ram
Staples Mousepad

Normal 2080 and 2070 are being discontinued. I don't know if you'll find them come Black Friday.

Last edited:
NV Link Support? NVLINKSLISUPPORT?!!! FUCKING CUNTS!

Oh well. I wasn't going sli anyways. I did go stupid and get a 2070 and not a 2080 when I had a chance though.

Ellery

Main reason i ditched my 290's for 970, heat and power draw and sound.

Shit was no joke in the summer.

I feel you. I have been rocking my R9 290X for the past 5 years and the power draw and heat is definitely noticeable.
Because electricity prices here are very high I undervolted and underclocked it a bit so that it consumers around 200W instead of close to 300.

The card was amazing though and is still holding up quite well, but I am very excited for my new GPU which is like 2.5X the performance and consumes less.

Given the scenario:

32inch UW, 1440p, 144hz

Do we think 2070 SUPER will get the job done? I'm going to be waiting for Navi and 2080 SUPER benchmarks, but interested in your thoughts.

thelastword

Banned
RTX-SUPER.jpg

RTX 2060 Super = ~RTX2070
RTX 2070 Super = ~GTX 1080Ti
So the 2060 is actually a new gen xx60 card as it should have always been instead of a xx50 card, with 8Gb finally. A new gen 2070 card should match the last gen xx80ti, as they always did before (1070 vs 980ti)........Yet check the prices they finally deliver that perf at with more power draw to boot...

So basically, 1080ti, 2080 and 2070 Super are pretty much the same, so three of the same...... 2060 Super, 2070 are the same cards....etc..etc.

Why are you so angry. The 2070 Super Founders Edition is superior to the 5700 XT in every possible way.

Why would anyone buy a 450$ RX 5700 XT?
I expect the 2070 Super to be better than 5700XT, "in every way? " but where are the benchmarks from which such statements are derived? Such hyperbole from someone who declares having no stake in the matter......

AMD already did a price cut before launch they won't do another.

AMD did no price cut before launch...... A product launches at a price, then there are price cuts? Unless AMD officially provided launch prices and changed it soon after... I'll wait for the link where you can show me that happened..... If not, then you know where that statement came from, straight out of Assville....

The question is also "how much can they cut?" because I am certain AMD has higher manufacturing costs for those 5700 cards than Nvidia has with their 12nm counterparts
How so, the smallest Turing die is 445mm2 and it scales up as you go higher. Navi is on 7nm at 251mm2 on the same GDDR6 memory type.....

7nm production is about to hit the stratosphere and you think NV has more price cuts to play with when they are offering an xx60 card for $400, you really are an Nvidia believer..... AMD can now easily lower 5700 and 5700XT cards, because they can control the price wars easily, they have no rtx hardware to account for....

There's no need yet for AMD to price tamper yet though, till we see how the Navi cards perform in benchmarks at an already cheaper price.......

Where are you getting these numbers?

The 5700XT and the 2070 super aren’t the same price.
He makes up his own rules...... He wants to compare NV manufactured against Navi Aib's, not AMD manufactured cards, what a fair and transparent guy.....

ethomaz

Banned
AMD did no price cut before launch...... A product launches at a price, then there are price cuts? Unless AMD officially provided launch prices and changed it soon after... I'll wait for the link where you can show me that happened..... If not, then you know where that statement came from, straight out of Assville....
Sapphire confirmed the prices of $499 and $399 for both cards and AMD did a price cut to announce $449 and $379.

If you want to believe or spin like you usually do I don't care... the point is AMD changed the price before launch and if I had to guess I believe they did after know nVidia will launch Super.

I believe after that first price cut AMD didn't have enough room for more price cuts... so it product will probably launch in a awkward position in the market.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sapphire confirmed the prices of $499 and $399 for both cards and AMD did a price cut before the announced to $449 and $379.

If you want to believe or spin like you usually do I don't care... the point is AMD changed the price before launch and if I had to guess I believe they did after know nVidia will launch Super.

I believe after that first price cut AMD didn't have enough room for more price cuts... so it product will probably launch in a awkward position in the market.
What does Sapphire have to do with AMD cards and their prices? Sapphire cards are always more expensive than AMD cards......You know that, so stop spreading falsehood....

AMD announced their cards at $379 and $449, this has nothing to do with Sapphire...... Should I say the Super 2070 is $599, when there was an AIB leak saying so?

You are comparing an AIB Navi card to a card straight from Nvidia, when a card straight from AMD exists, with official prices from AMD as well..... You couldn't be more transparent, come on man....

Ellery

I expect the 2070 Super to be better than 5700XT, "in every way? " but where are the benchmarks from which such statements are derived? Such hyperbole from someone who declares having no stake in the matter......

Because we have those numbers and some people are pretty good at extrapolating from that especially considering the blower type cooler on that thing. AMD people even "admitted" in interviews that the blower card is not THAT cool and quiet as an axial fan design.

:lollipop_winking:

thelastword

Banned
Because we have those numbers and some people are pretty good at extrapolating from that especially considering the blower type cooler on that thing. AMD people even "admitted" in interviews that the blower card is not THAT cool and quiet as an axial fan design.

:lollipop_winking:
Which blower design, thus new one? AMD employees are already bad-talking the new blower design, even before the card launches?

Show me these comments please....... AMD should fire these folks....

Ellery

Which blower design, thus new one? AMD employees are already bad-talking the new blower design, even before the card launches?

Show me these comments please....... AMD should fire these folks....

it is actually very interesting. They don't BAD TALK the blower but they make it clear that axial is better and the decision to go with blower is because of the 1% of buyers that have ultra bad airflow and are not really invested in understand how a PC and airflow works. He even says that AMD had internal debates about it and that he personally prefers non-blower cards because of better thermals and noise :

It is also the interview where they talk about the exact card the 5700 XT is targeted at and that is the 599$ RTX 2070 Founders Edition. It will probably be a shock for them to find out that they are now competing against the $499 RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition which is better than the normal 2070.

Also AMD blower cards have historically been bad and I would be very surprised if the Navi cards were any different. yes I expect them to be better than Vega 56 and 64 in terms of noise and heat but I guess a comparison against the RTX Founders cards is not even fair because those are really good and are not blower.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
it is actually very interesting. They don't BAD TALK the blower but they make it clear that axial is better and the decision to go with blower is because of the 1% of buyers that have ultra bad airflow and are not really invested in understand how a PC and airflow works. He even says that AMD had internal debates about it and that he personally prefers non-blower cards because of better thermals and noise :

It is also the interview where they talk about the exact card the 5700 XT is targeted at and that is the 599$ RTX 2070 Founders Edition. It will probably be a shock for them to find out that they are now competing against the $499 RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition which is better than the normal 2070.

Also AMD blower cards have historically been bad and I would be very surprised if the Navi cards were any different. yes I expect them to be better than Vega 56 and 64 in terms of noise and heat but I guess a comparison against the RTX Founders cards is not even fair because those are really good and are not blower.

One thing AMD does have in its favor is that it’s likely that AMD has much more room to make the price cheaper due not being hamstrung by HBM costs.

Don’t know for a fact but that’s my guess.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Thanks for the advice. I’ve been teetering back and forth for months on what/when to upgrade. I need to make up my mind and just go with something.
Just wait till Ampere comes out next year(these cards will drop further in price), or just bite the bullet now. Best of luck with your decision.

xPikYx

No 1080 Ti owner with a functioning brain would consider trading a 1080 Ti for a 2070 super.
As I said, only for those who have a 1080ti the change is not appealing unless they want to give rtx a go without spending too much money and keeping the performance. Averagely the 2 cards perform the same whilst the 1080ti may give better performance @4k but not when you use rtx, anyway I would recommend 1080ti to wait for Ampere cards

Ellery

One thing AMD does have in its favor is that it’s likely that AMD has much more room to make the price cheaper due not being hamstrung by HBM costs.

Don’t know for a fact but that’s my guess.

Nah sadly 7nm is much more expensive than the mature 12nm process.

If I had to take a guess I'd say that the 12nm RTX 2070 Super cards are cheaper for nvidia than the 5700 XT is for AMD even though the 2070 Super had a bigger die. But at this point it is guessing so I don't want to sell it as fact.

No idea how cheap AMD could go. Maybe 299$ is the point where it is not worth it for AMD

Top Bottom