• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Siri

Banned
Oh no... this launch is getting even worse!

Nvidia is now recalling all 3080s. Apparently the cards have a serious flaw - they aren’t shutting down when they overheat and are literally burning people’s cases up.

To return your card please PM me and I’ll send you the address to which you‘ll need to return the card. Thank you. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
This is the best possible news. Can't wait to hook one of these up to my LG C9.

Oh, fantastic.

This was actually forgotten in the stampede. C9 owner here. Also a 2080 TI owner. Since the 3080 is only marginally faster than the 2080 TI the unlocking of 120Hz is huge.

I‘m considering a 3080 for this reason alone.

Oh, fantastic.

This was actually forgotten in the stampede. C9 owner here. Also a 2080 TI owner. Since the 3080 is only marginally faster than the 2080 TI the unlocking of 120Hz is huge.

I‘m considering a 3080 for this reason alone.

That's the entire reason I bought my TV.

image0-14.png

DeaDPo0L84

So it seems the pcb on the msi gaming x trio is a bit underwhelming as well as the plastic backplate. The only two other cards are the evga ftw3 (red is terrible but they're fixing it) or the Asus rog strix, of course both don't come out till a few days later where I'm sure they'll sell out instantly.

Nydus

So it seems the pcb on the msi gaming x trio is a bit underwhelming as well as the plastic backplate. The only two other cards are the evga ftw3 (red is terrible but they're fixing it) or the Asus rog strix, of course both don't come out till a few days later where I'm sure they'll sell out instantly.
In some places you can pre-order the strix. Maybe there you have a better chance?

llien

DF's numbers are accurate given the scenarios benchmarked. Different setups will yield different results.
Yeah. 30% off. No problemo whatsoevoro, right?
It is sponsored after all.
What about DF's DLSS upscaling claims, where they sponsored too?
/puke

TPUs editor spotted BS upfront, although didn't explain why he cited a much lower figure for Doom "exclusive preview" (nothing fishy) DF.

Scan UK sent me an email after I asked them a question about the queues which reads the following:

"We cannot give queue positions, all orders are held in a queue on a first-come-first-served basis. We will be sending an email once we have an estimated time for the cards to come back in to stock."

So they're happy to take 800GBP off my account as a pre-order and let the money sit in their bank collecting interest, but don't actually have a list.. Cool Cool. So I'm going to see if I can pre-order an Xbox Series X in two days, and if yes I'll just stick with my 5700XT for awhile until this shit gets normalized.

Last edited:

GHG

Scan UK sent me an email after I asked them a question about the queues which reads the following:

"We cannot give queue positions, all orders are held in a queue on a first-come-first-served basis. We will be sending an email once we have an estimated time for the cards to come back in to stock."

So they're happy to take 800GBP off my account as a pre-order and let the money sit in their bank collecting interest, but don't actually have a list.. Cool Cool. So I'm going to see if I can pre-order an Xbox Series X in two days, and if yes I'll just stick with my 5700XT for awhile until this shit gets normalized.

From what I've read both Scan and Overclockers have fucked up with the 3080 launch.

It's a shame because when I was back in the UK (2012, so a long time ago now) they were both very good. Bought all my parts from both of them when I built a PC back then.

From what I've read both Scan and Overclockers have fucked up with the 3080 launch.

It's a shame because when I was back in the UK (2012, so a long time ago now) they were both very good. Bought all my parts from both of them when I built a PC back then.
Yeah I'm not too happy. I can either wait, and maybe get lucky and get a card in a week or two.. or a month ? Or just pre-order (try) the Xbox Series X and know that they won't charge the full amount immediately, and actually get a product in November. I can't believe how Nvidia either barely made any cards or just COVID threw a wrench into the whole thing. Was kinda hyped, but now I'm like... meh I can keep the 5700xt for another year and just see how Next gen changes the PC field.

Siri

Banned
So they're happy to take 800GBP off my account as a pre-order and let the money sit in their bank collecting interest, but don't actually have a list..

This is how it can be with any merchant on the planet.

All merchants can place your funds in reserve for a set period - typically for 10 to 14 days after you’ve placed an order. After this period they have to charge your card or release the funds. You should know this when ordering. You actually agreed to this when you signed for your credit card. The funds, btw, weren’t actually taken out of your bank account - but simply reserved.

There‘s nothing wrong with this - it’s simply a way for the merchant to know that you actually do have the funds. Unless you have a very low credit limit. In which case you might not be able to use your card until you’ve paid for the transaction, or the merchant has released the reserve.

That said. I get it. You’re pissed off that they put you through all that and you didn’t get the card.

Here’s what happened to me with Fermi. I placed an order for two cards. The merchant didn’t send me the cards, so I assumed they didn’t actually have any. Meanwhile another merchant did have the cards, but I couldn’t order them because my funds were being held in reserve by the first merchant. I was fuming at the time. I phoned Visa and ordered them to cancel the transaction - no dice.

Last edited:
This is how it can be with any merchant on the planet.

All merchants can place your funds in reserve for a set period - typically for 10 to 14 days after you’ve placed an order. After this period they have to charge your card or release the funds. You should know this when ordering. You actually agreed to this when you signed for your credit card. The funds, btw, weren’t actually taken out of your bank account - but simply reserved.

There‘s nothing wrong with this - it’s simply a way for the merchant to know that you actually do have the funds. Unless you have a very low credit limit. In which case you might not be able to use your card until you’ve paid for the transaction, or the merchant has released the reserve.

That said. I get it. You’re pissed off that they put you through all that and you didn’t get the card.

Here’s what happened to me with Fermi. I placed an order for two cards. The merchant didn’t send me the cards, so I assumed they didn’t actually have any. Meanwhile another merchant did have the cards, but I couldn’t order them because my funds were being held in reserve by the first merchant. I was fuming at the time. I phoned Visa and ordered them to cancel the transaction - no dice.
There's a difference between waiting for a pre-order (me buying a PS5 and getting it in November or maybe a bit later - where they won't charge my card in advance ) to well you just got charged 700GBP and whoops we don't even know when stock is going to be in. Not pissed, just kinda weird and unhappy. It's like I spent money on something that was supposed to be tangible on a certain date (I'm ok with waiting a week or two, and with my luck, I'll be probably getting a notification next week that the card is getting delivered). But I'm surprised this is legal at all

Siri

Banned
There's a difference between waiting for a pre-order (me buying a PS5 and getting it in November or maybe a bit later - where they won't charge my card in advance ) to well you just got charged 700GBP and whoops we don't even know when stock is going to be in. Not pissed, just kinda weird and unhappy. It's like I spent money on something that was supposed to be tangible on a certain date (I'm ok with waiting a week or two, and with my luck, I'll be probably getting a notification next week that the card is getting delivered). But I'm surprised this is legal at all

Pre-orders aren’t transactions. A pre-order won’t effect your VISA balance or credit limit. This is why it’s always super easy to cancel a pre-order - because a transaction hasn’t actually registered.

Whenever you hit the buy button, however, you’re actually agreeing to a transaction, which is what you did with your GPU (that wasn’t a pre-order, it was a sale). The merchant can then reserve your funds for a set period, but isn’t legally obligated to send you anything.

This is why when a merchant agrees to cancel an actual order (before the shipment has been made), the merchant will typically inform you that your refund won’t appear in Visa for a few days, (because the bank is undoing the transaction).

Usually when people discover this they‘re infuriated - but it’s always been like this.

Ulysses 31

At an amazing 2700€ price tag. Not bad at all!
Look at the top 50 gfx cards, has the ROG Strix OC 3090 for 1650€ at #1.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah. 30% off. No problemo whatsoevoro, right?
It is sponsored after all.
What about DF's DLSS upscaling claims, where they sponsored too?
/puke

TPUs editor spotted BS upfront, although didn't explain why he cited a much lower figure for Doom "exclusive preview" (nothing fishy) DF.
30% discrepancy?

Here's a list of various other reputable outlets that had similar benchmark results to Digital Foundry.

PC World showed a 79% increase in Borderlands 3, which in comparable to DF's 81.6% report. Keep in mind that not everything is going to be exactly the same due to differences in test conditions.

PC World showed a 69% increase in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which is very close to DF's 69.8%.

Guru3D shows a 72% increase in Battlefield V, which is close to DF's recorded 68%.

The Verge reports +78% in SOTR and +80% in Control, which is close to DF's reported 77.6% improvement.

Hardware Unboxed reports 70% to 115% faster in DOOM Eternal, depending on the settings, compared to DF's reported 80%+.

WCCF Tech reports +83% in Control with RTX and DLSS, while DF reports 76% to 90%. They had different DLSS settings, but it's close enough. They also report +100% increases in Quake 2 RTX, which is very close what DF got as well.

So yeah, I don't know where you're getting that 30% discrepancy from, and I don't know why you'd be so upset about an accurate video with accurate (albeit cherry picked) benchmarks.

TitanNut88

Look at the top 50 gfx cards, has the ROG Strix OC 3090 for 1650€ at #1.

Good one, thanks. Sadly, it seems they don’t deliver to Spain :messenger_pensive:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wish it was a joke post.
What are you talking about? I sourced multiple outlets and cross referenced all their games.

No, they report you need to try it real hard with settings, such as picking textures that do not fit, to get to results claimed by DF.
Yes. They did.

13:29

the data is accurate but without more

13:31

information it can also be a bit

13:32

misleading

13:34

and here is more information by leaving

13:36

all the options on ultra nightmare

13:38

with the exception of the texture pool

13:40

size which i've dropped to ultra

13:41

reducing vram usage to 7 gigabytes

13:44

this is what we find there's no real

13:46

change in performance with gpus packing

13:48

10 gigabytes or more of vram

13:50

but for those with eight gigabytes like

13:52

the rtx 2080

13:53

we're seeing a 26 performance uplift and

13:56

that means the 3080 is now

13:58

70 faster not 115

Respond to the entirety of the post. Don't cherry pick like Digital Foundry did.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
WCCwemakeshitup and irrelevant game.
If you don't like that website, that's on you. That's not on me, because I cited many other sources besides them.

If you don't like that game, that's on you. That's not on me, because I'm just cross referencing the data I'm presented with. Your claim of "irrelevancy" is unfounded.

Which is the point: misleading people.

"Hey, if I use older drivers and also make it 8GB vs 10GB bazinga, it might look faster than it really is".

No, that's not the point. The point is to show best case scenarios. If you think that's misleading people, then that's on you. DF made it very clear in the introduction to the "sneak peak" video what it is.

Even putting the VRAM issues aside, the performance jump from 2080 to 3080 is very large, and nothing to scoff at.

Also, stop trying to change the subject. I'm going to ask you again.

How are you calculating the 30% discrepancy that you claimed in DF's numbers?

Crazy how some people are trying to downplay these cards still. It's obvious anything below 4k hits CPU or software bottleneck in some way.

With driver improvements, faster cpus and future games releases that are especially compute heavy (which they will be) the performance will shine.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
To bring some positivity to this thread... What's the first game you guys are going to play when you get your 3080, 3090, AMD whatever? I'm probably going to pick up Crysis Remastered. My monitor is only 1440p60 so I shouldn't have to much trouble with a 3080. I hope lol. What about you guys? Whats first?

To bring some positivity to this thread... What's the first game you guys are going to play when you get your 3080, 3090, AMD whatever? I'm probably going to pick up Crysis Remastered. My monitor is only 1440p60 so I shouldn't have to much trouble with a 3080. I hope lol. What about you guys? Whats first?

I bought Metro Exodus during the steam sale, so I'll probably play through that on the 65" CX tv.

Top Bottom