• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Has anyone seen the latest leaks about how RDNA2 compares to Ampere? Apparently, it's significantly faster in traditional rasterization. What do you guys think?

01-Percent.png

02-Score.png

Source:

benchmark-2.jpg

benchmark-2.jpg

Source:

SantaC

I've finished rebuilding my PC. The specs are as follows:

01. Ryzen 9 3950X
02. Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)
03. G. Skill Trident Z RGB 64GBs (2 x 32GBs) DDR4 RAM @ 3600 MHz
04. PNY XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB RTX 3090
05. Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD (Windows OS)
06. Sabrent "Rocket" PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe 2TB SSD (games)
07. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
08. Western Digital Blue 4TB & 6TB HDDs
09. Corsair TX850M 850 Watt 80+ Gold PSU
10. Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG

IB7qQU7.jpg

KSRU8hc.jpg

CUqWYoV.jpg

XTwPPFT.jpg

zbOi6Hy.jpg

zbOi6Hy.jpg

03bXt0s.jpg
500GB for windows? Lol.

250GB is enough.

Nice build, but would had waited for RDNA2.

SantaC

Has anyone seen the latest leaks about how RDNA2 compares to Ampere? Apparently, it's significantly faster in traditional rasterization. What do you guys think?

01-Percent.png

02-Score.png

Source:

benchmark-2.jpg

benchmark-2.jpg

Source:

Those scores does not make sense considering that AMD showed gaming benchmarks that were well behind 3080.

Is igor trustworthy?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Those scores does not make sense considering that AMD showed gaming benchmarks that were well behind 3080.

Is igor trustworthy?

It has been rumored that the RDNA2 GPU whose benchmark results were shown at the Ryzen 5000 Series presentation was one of the lower-end chips.

Is igor trustworthy?
He's not untrustworthy, I don't think he'd throw that out if he didn't think it was real. Like he's an actual old guy engineer. He's not just a regular putz like one of us.

Last edited:
It has been rumored that the RDNA2 GPU whose benchmark results were shown at the Ryzen 5000 Series presentation was one of the lower-end chips.

The most reliable rumors was that it was the 72CU unit. Firestrike is larely irrelevant and not indicative of gpu stress tests in modern titles.

I'll eat my words but I would be surprised if the non-3090 competitor is any more than plus or minus % of the 3080 in traditional rasterization. And it'll be $550ish

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The most reliable rumors was that it was the 72CU unit. Firestrike is larely irrelevant and not indicative of gpu stress tests in modern titles.

I'll eat my words but I would be surprised if the non-3090 competitor is any more than plus or minus % of the 3080 in traditional rasterization. And it'll be $550ish

Well, at the very least these cards seem as if they'll come very close to the RTX 3080 in terms of performance, which is indicative of AMD's growing improvement in both CPUs and GPUs; they're now competitive in both markets. If they can remain competitive with Nvidia, more and more people will buy their cards, hence their mrket share will increase. Imagine a world in which AMD has 50% market share in the discrete GPU market.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Really looking forward to the AMD reveal. I’d be thrilled if it immediately obsoleted my 3080. Great! I just want the best hardware.

Wonder if they’ll have the GPUs ready for sale alongside the CPUs, or if it’ll be a month delay, too. Would be weird to release in basically December.

AGRacing

Wonder if they’ll have the GPUs ready for sale alongside the CPUs, or if it’ll be a month delay, too. Would be weird to release in basically December.

If they have stock they should get the first wave out in time for Cyberpunk.... That is the game this upgrade wave is really about.

Well, at the very least these cards seem as if they'll come very close to the RTX 3080 in terms of performance, which is indicative of AMD's growing improvement in both CPUs and GPUs; they're now competitive in both markets. If they can remain competitive with Nvidia, more and more people will buy their cards, hence their mrket share will increase. Imagine a world in which AMD has 50% market share in the discrete GPU market.

I mean, there's competitive where Nvidia feels like it can't just fuck around and do whatever it wants, and then there's competitive where it feels like it has to fight tooth and nail. I'd rather it was the latter, but we're only just getting to the former, maybe. Some day, some day.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I remember a reading a couple times that AMD said Big Navi will be the first RDNA 2 product on the market. I wouldn't doubt if they had availability within a week of the show, maybe sooner given that Nvidia decided to launch the 3070 the day afterwards.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Welp, dropped off my 3090fe for a RMA, which shockingly was approved pretty quickly after a very confusing back and forth. When I initiated the conversation with customer support they were quick to let me know that my gpu with the same serial number was already in the process of a RMA and that person had told them they bought it used off of facebook marketplace. Luckily that got cleared up pretty quick but in the moment I was about to flip out. They said I should have the new gpu within 7 business days from when they receive my shipment. They did point out they cannot guarantee the new one will not have coil whine but they are willing to give it a shot.

So here I am back on my 2070s enjoying my low 30fps in Control once more. Quick question for those more in the know when it comes to the technical side of things. I play on a 38" LG ultrawide monitor. I know on a basic level the same gpu used with this monitor will perform better on a smaller monitor due to how many pixels are being pushed. My actual question is if I am able to buy a 3080 between now and receiving my new 3090, would it still be beneficial to stick with the 3090 due to the size of my monitor? I am planning on using ray tracing any time its available as an option and hopefully maxing out all settings in options.

sertopico

I am finally part of the club, managed to find an evga ftw3 blahblah 3080 in some anonymous shop where I live. I got in by pure chance, I asked about the card and the guy had ONE card available. It cost me more than it should have but fuck it, you live only once. Day night difference from my old strix 1080 ti oc, my perfs are more than doubled. This thing is a beast, and I must admit I was skeptical, but this DLSS really does wonders. Now I am trying to do some undervolting to keep consumptions a bit lower. I am stable @ 0.900V/1995MHz, maximum power draw 380W, which is still too high in my opinion, I think I might try to lower frequencies further. Getting 3-5 fps more for 50W extra is nonsense.

One question: I tried to deactivate the rgb rainbow galore with precision x but there is no option to manage the leds. Since I am one of those few ppl still having a non transparent side panel I really don't need all those christmas lights.

Last edited:

Captn

For all my fellow Canadians, even though they are all back-order, at least you can order one. I just did :)

Maybe they ship to the US also, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Is igor trustworthy?

They werent well behind, they were on par with a 3080. But who knows in what controlled lab conditions they achieved those results. If their cpu's are faster than intels for gaming they could've used the absolute best chip of the assembly line, aggresively overclock it. Or they could've done the same with their gpu - nitrogen cooled handpicked sample and overclocked. We cant say until we get regular people benchmarks for it

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
It's comparable to 3080 in Time Spy, AMD will likely perform better in some games and worse in others (as usual). But not many people were expecting card that could fight with 3080.

I was joking. It's not like the 3080 got suddenly worse, just because AMD offers competitive performance.
And I don't think there will be any price cut, because I can't imagine AMD being so much cheaper that Nvidia will start to sweat.
Price reveal and real benchmarks will be exciting.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was joking. It's not like the 3080 got suddenly worse, just because AMD offers competitive performance.
And I don't think there will be any price cut, because I can't imagine AMD being so much cheaper that Nvidia will start to sweat.
Price reveal and real benchmarks will be exciting.
It's surprising how competitive nvidia is even without goos competition for past years. They for sure stay on their toes.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I am finally part of the club, managed to find an evga ftw3 blahblah 3080 in some anonymous shop where I live. I got in by pure chance, I asked about the card and the guy had ONE card available. It cost me more than it should have but fuck it, you live only once. Day night difference from my old strix 1080 ti oc, my perfs are more than doubled. This thing is a beast, and I must admit I was skeptical, but this DLSS really does wonders. Now I am trying to do some undervolting to keep consumptions a bit lower. I am stable @ 0.900V/1995MHz, maximum power draw 380W, which is still too high in my opinion, I think I might try to lower frequencies further. Getting 3-5 fps more for 50W extra is nonsense.

One question: I tried to deactivate the rgb rainbow galore with precision x but there is no option to manage the leds. Since I am one of those few ppl still having a non transparent side panel I really don't need all those christmas lights.
You have to download the version of Precision X that is specifically for the RTX 30 Series in order to control your FTW3's LEDs.

I don't know if anyone is interested in these, but if you are and you live near a Microcenter, I would keep an eye out for the Powerspec pre-builts. My Microcenter has zero 3080 cards but two of these available for $2499 right now:

Wow. I just went through the list of stores and the majority of them have these in stock and available to order online.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Those of you who have managed to get an RTX 30 Series card, if RDNA2 winds up being faster than the RTX 30 Series, will you regret your purchase?

Personally, I won't regret my decision because I'm pretty sure that the difference will be negligible, relevant in only traditional rasterization, and in Nvidia's favor when ray tracing and DLSS are available.

mitchman

Gold Member
Currently, the RTX 3080 is supposed to be delivered to me on Nov 7th, giving me a week to consider dropping it for AMD or not. I'm cool with the shipping having been pushed back now as long as I can get a card before Nov 19th (CP2077).

Last edited:
Those of you who have managed to get an RTX 30 Series card, if RDNA2 winds up being faster than the RTX 30 Series, will you regret your purchase?

Personally, I won't regret my decision because I'm pretty sure that the difference will be negligible, relevant in only traditional rasterization, and in Nvidia's favor when ray tracing and DLSS are available.

Nah. The 3080's great. I don't worry about stuff like that. The card I have is going to do what I want it to do for awhile. There's no reason to worry about anything beyond that.

Catphish

I just want to underscore what an amazing experience it is to play RDR2 in first person at 4k/60/max settings.

If you have a 3080, put that shit on your list if it isn't already there. 👍

Ascend

I'm considering doing a 3070 build. Budget of two thousand bucks. Thoughts?
Wait for reviews of both the 3070 and AMD's RDNA2 cards.
You can start to pick out your other components, of which I suggest a B550/X570 board with one of the 5000 series AMD processors, 32GB of RAM, an NVMe SSD, and a 750W 80 Plus Gold rated PSU.

Wait for reviews of both the 3070 and AMD's RDNA2 cards.
You can start to pick out your other components, of which I suggest a B550/X570 board with one of the 5000 series AMD processors, 32GB of RAM, an NVMe SSD, and a 750W 80 Plus Gold rated PSU.
I was thinking X570 and a 3700X. When does the 5000 series launch?

Ascend

Cool, thanks. I'll hold off for a bit then.
Indeed. Right now is pretty much the worst time to buy hardware, because superior stuff is just around the corner. And the older CPUs will likely drop in price too if you wait for a bit.

Just as a reference...;

gS04DxN.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I won't because 3080 fe looks god damn incredible :D ... Being more than twice as fast as my 2070 helps

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

01-Percent.png

02-Score.png

Source:

benchmark-2.jpg

benchmark-2.jpg

Source:

Ill believe it when we get actual reviews by actual reviewers.

McHuj

I still haven't had luck with getting the 3080. My hope is that with the 3070 releasing and AMD fully announcing their GPUs, that steals some of the demand for the 3080 or at least throws enough confusion into the market where I can finally get one.

Top Bottom