• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Starfield

20201028_124029.jpg
20201028_124054.jpg

It's here, the son of a bitch is finally here

Watched a 4k Ultra (no RT reflections) benchmark of WD Legion running on a 3080. Was not pretty. FPS in the mid 40's mostly? Likely not the cards fault, but still sad to see.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
I don't know if it's RTX3080 at fault but Watch Dogs legion runs fine on DLSS Quality at 4k all maxxed until you go into a menu or run into a busy street and then it just starts stuttering like crazy. Not sure if this is something Nvidia drivers would solve but it feels like this game just has poor VRAM management. It looks good but not to the point of bringing 3080 to its knees for sure...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Watched a 4k Ultra (no RT reflections) benchmark of WD Legion running on a 3080. Was not pretty. FPS in the mid 40's mostly? Likely not the cards fault, but still sad to see.

Sounds about right,.

Why did people think devs were going to NOT up their games graphically?
4K is hard just from a pixel count perspective, add in the fact that games are going to be looking better and better.....wait for the RTX 4080 to play current games at 4K60 not even actually Ultra.
But when that drops the current games out will blow it away at 4K60 not even actually Ultra.

The time when a GPU could come out and it was genuinely future ready is not at the start of a generation.
By this time next year there will be games that easily make the RTX 3080 beg for mercy....if you have a 4K screen DLSS is your savior, if the game doesnt use DLSS time to drop them settings to console levels.

Sounds about right,.

4K is hard just from a pixel count perspective, add in the fact that games are going to be looking better and better.....wait for the RTX 4080 to play current games at 4K60 not even actually Ultra.
But when that drops the current games out will blow it away at 4K60 not even actually Ultra.

The time when a GPU could come out and it was genuinely future ready is not at the start of a generation.
By this time next year there will be games that easily make the RTX 3080 beg for mercy....if you have a 4K screen DLSS is your savior, if the game doesnt use DLSS time to drop them settings to console levels.
Eh I don't about that man. The 3080 is a pretty powerful card. It is at least a league ahead of consoles (new ones).

Black_Stride

Eh I don't about that man. The 3080 is a pretty powerful card. It is at least a league ahead of consoles (new ones).

Yes and games are graphically more intense than whats used in benchmarks where the card pulls triple digits 4K fps.
If the game is 30fps on console, hitting 60 on PC will require using console-esc settings.

These old game benchmarks and Nvidias own hype is making people assume they should be pulling 4K120 in absolutely everything.
That is not the case....a bunch of games already make the RTX 3080 squeal, and going forward its only going to get worse.

Sounds about right,.

I generally agree with you, but in this particular instance I'm not seeing it.

Have you guys tried undervolting?
I followed a guide and undervolted mine. Playing horizon zero dawn and it seemed to pull -50 to - 70w less with the same performance apparently.
But metro exodus still pulls 350w most of the time.

waylo

Banned
I'm glad AMD put out something competitive. I'm still not super interested in one mainly due to RT performance and I'm skeptical about their version of DLSS, but for those who only care about rasterization performance, it's a solid card. I'm more excited at the potential of it taking away potential 3080 buyers.

Yes and games are graphically more intense than whats used in benchmarks where the card pulls triple digits 4K fps.
If the game is 30fps on console, hitting 60 on PC will require using console-esc settings.

These old game benchmarks and Nvidias own hype is making people assume they should be pulling 4K120 in absolutely everything.
That is not the case....a bunch of games already make the RTX 3080 squeal, and going forward its only going to get worse.

No I get that. New games will come out that push the hardware. But to say that a 3080 is inferior or even equal to new gen consoles is just not correct. PC will always have a noticeable visual and performance upgrade over consoles.

At the very least consider that a PC had faster ram usually, more of it, a better heating solution, more powerful cpu etc etc.

Black_Stride

No I get that. New games will come out that push the hardware. But to say that a 3080 is inferior or even equal to new gen consoles is just not correct. PC will always have a noticeable visual and performance upgrade over consoles.

At the very least consider that a PC had faster ram usually, more of it, a better heating solution, more powerful cpu etc etc.

Who said the 3080 is inferior or equal to the new gen consoles?

Also all that extra stuff is nice, but other than high framerate gaming you will hit another bottleneck well before having 32GB of RAM or a more powerful CPU will matter.
Youd have to go back something like 5 or more years to find a CPU that would fail to hit 4K60 even with DDR3 RAM.

sertopico

Have you guys tried undervolting?
I followed a guide and undervolted mine. Playing horizon zero dawn and it seemed to pull -50 to - 70w less with the same performance apparently.
But metro exodus still pulls 350w most of the time.
I managed to obtain about 2GHz @ 0.900V. The frequency is steady 90% of the times, sometimes it goes down to 1995-1980, others up to 2010. The power draw varies heavily from game to game, and if you increase the resolution, for instance by using DSR like I do, you will get more watts consumed, needless to say. The most power hungry game is RDR2, which sucks 380 and more watts and heats my card more than any other game I tried (70 degrees, fan 75%), despite of the lower voltage I set. Almost every setting is set to the max (except water physix and tree tessellation), res 4k using the internal upscaler. Other games draw about 350 and less Watts, temps are around 64 degrees. I own a FTW3 Ultra 3080.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned

Played it yesterday. It is a very, very weird game from a tech perspective. It baffles me, that it runs so bad and doesn't look that great - but being a promo for the new cards. Like, guys, this makes your new cards look bad. It is not a good showcase.

While the RTX reflections look very nice and really add a lot to the city, the rest is... Meh. And as I said, performance is bad and inconsistent, DLSS seems to be bugged because on 1440p DLSS on quality Mode, there are basically no fps gains it seems.

I only had like 45min with the game and couldn't test it a lot. Will tweak more after work later today.

sertopico

On friday a patch for the pc version will be published. Probably they will address these problems. But yes, the game looks outdated, covering a turd with chocolate doesn't make a cake out of it. WD2 had those htfs shadows from nvidia, and the game ran horribly on the 1080ti, which was the flagship at that time, correct me if I am wrong.

regawdless

Banned
On friday a patch for the pc version will be published. Probably they will address these problems. But yes, the game looks outdated, covering a turd with chocolate doesn't make a cake out of it. WD2 had those htfs shadows from nvidia, and the game ran horribly on the 1080ti, which was the flagship at that time, correct me if I am wrong.

Hopefully it improves the performance significantly. But I'm sceptical. It's Ubi.

regawdless

Banned
Better for them to fix at least the buggy DLSS. As you wrote, this is no good publicity for the nvidia cards.

On one hand I can understand the devs. Developing and optimizing for PS4, Ps4 Pro, One X, Xbox One, Series X, Series S, PS5 AND all PC configurations is difficult. Especially with corona thrown into the mix, it fucked a lot of things up.

But this is a game that's bundled with these cards and AT LEAST should work well with it's unique features, DLSS and raytracing.
Nvidia should be mad.

Edit: just read the patch notes. General performance improvements and improvements especially for RTX cards. Let's hope the improvements will cumulate to more than just a couple fps.

Last edited:

saintjules

Damn Best Buy. What is this one more step you're putting through people before we can shoot for the 3070?

Edit: Shipping unavailable in my area from BB and no store I can pick up from in the 250 mile radius lol

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Crazy how bad the situation still is. Still have two open orders that I'm keeping, so a friend of mine can get one as well.
They are from launch, with initially confirmed delivery date. Then changed to unknown and that's still the current status.

It feels weird to tell him every other day "yeah, still nothing new."

Can people please cancel their orders and buy AMD cards instead? :messenger_beaming:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I canceled my B&H Photo order from pre launch on the TUF 3080. Little bummed because I wanted it instead of my FE but the fact that they charged me the $900 and carried it for months is unsustainable.

waylo

Banned
I signed up for the EVGA waitlist. I figure if I get a 3070 I'll just immediately apply for the step-up program.

Hilarious to me that Nvidia delayed the release of these cards to build up stock, and they still disappear in milliseconds. I don't give a shit about the AMD card, but I honestly hope it destroys the 3000 series (at least in sales). Fuck Nvidia man.

TriSuit666

Banned
3070 launch absolute shitshow in Europe...

In America - walk into a store and pick one off the shelf.

Fucksake Nvidia - you're pissing away whatever goodwill I have for your shitty products.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was thinking about getting a 3070, but with Cyberpunk delayed until Dec. 10 I don't feel the same urgency. Maybe in a couple weeks. The card is exactly what Nvidia promised, though.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm glad AMD put out something competitive. I'm still not super interested in one mainly due to RT performance and I'm skeptical about their version of DLSS, but for those who only care about rasterization performance, it's a solid card. I'm more excited at the potential of it taking away potential 3080 buyers.

LOL, I have to admit that was my first thought as well.. A competitive AMD is great, I'm of course all for it. The rasterization performance is promising, and they have some great tech brewing. But for me it'll have to be another generation, I really need that current RTX stuff. I'm also latching on to the hope that the 3080 with DLSS support will allow me to run the Reverb G2 VR headset at 2160 per eye resolution at good performance in MSFS..

Last edited:
Top Bottom