• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Horizon Forbidden West Preview

Orta

Banned
Title says he seems impressed. As he should be. As he should be. Best looking game footage I've ever seen.

Ever seen.

FqOhGKPp_400x400.jpg

Last edited:

skit_data

Seems NXG thinks CBR is involved to reach 4k, but that they are still leaving quite a lot of power on the table due to it being crossgen

Seems like a good guess, we saw a similar solution applied to the Spider-Man Remastered/Miles Morales 4k 30fps mode if I remember correctly. Altough that one used TAA to reach 4k I think. Different engines, different solutions I suppose.

elliot5

No surprise he's impressed. It is a very good looking image quality throughout. No mention of raytracing, maybe just an improve GI system and cubemaps/ssr in the water. Though he did say something like would need to get confirmation on any ray tracing from Guerrilla.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Title says he seems impressed. As he should be. As he should be. Best looking game footage I've ever seen.
Digital Foundry rarely goes in-depth anymore. They do surface-level analysis more often than not.

If an anomaly occurs, they usually just say 'This is indeed interesting and surprising', and just move on without actually listing all the possible reasons why something might have happened.

Fredrik

He talks so fast! Interesting talk about the performance, thought they used a high quality mode here at 30fps and then we’ll get a 60fps mode on PS5 with stuff turned down. So now I just want to see what it looks like at 60fps! I don’t mind 1080p res, just want to see if they’ve had to remove a bunch of other stuff we’re drooling over here, I bet it’ll still look amazing but it’s hard to compare this video to other games this gen when everything else is 60.

Last edited:

Dolomite

With this latest tease of PS5 Gameplay for Aloy's next adventure, the aspect of a PS4 version can be lost in the impressive results we see.

Analysis of the PS5 showing, and just what we can expect from that PS4 version and why this makes what we saw, that much more impressive.
Lol, bro we all agree that HFW is next gen and looks great, but it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself when you write it this way🥴

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems NXG thinks CBR is involved to reach 4k, but that they are still leaving quite a lot of power on the table due to it being crossgen

Seems like a good guess, we saw a similar solution applied to the Spider-Man Remastered/Miles Morales 4k 30fps mode if I remember correctly. Altough that one used TAA to reach 4k I think. Different engines, different solutions I suppose.

Actually Spiderman MM and Remaster are Native 4K with temporal injection for a higher resolution than 4K for Aliasing that made it extremely clean.

Vick

This was amazing.
Super in-depth, eagle eye analysis that brought out issues i totally failed to notice, while providing thoughtful guesswork and of course praising all that needed to be praised. Bravo! 👏

Last edited:
Watching it now, seems NXG picked up a lot that DF missed, while providing explanations as well.

Much appreciated, really great work
Michael is too above compared to DF. In many other analysis i saw Michael providing much more useful information.

While Alex is searching for indirect lightning, i prefer to see LODs, models, polycount and all this game development stuff like Michael gives in his analysis.

Fredrik

Michael is too above compared to DF. In many other analysis i saw Michael providing much more useful information.

While Alex is searching for indirect lightning, i prefer to see LODs, models, polycount and all this game development stuff like Michael gives in his analysis.
Yeah the DF crew were just gushing over how good it looked, NX actually spotted some lastgen roots like the LOD pop in.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

nah spiderman was native 4k 30 fps.

they are using TAA on top of the native 4k 30 fps to make it look even cleaner. they arent using it to inject frames. same goes for ratchet. its native 4k 30 fps.

if horizon is 4kcb 30 fps, then that would mean that the extra horsepower of the ps5 was spent upping the visuals which is frankly what i wanted. Miles looks fairly identical to the PS4 version with some minor enhancements like higher NPC counts, better hair, better textures and draw distance. Nothing major like Horizon which looks like a completely different game compared to the first game. Very easy to run last gen games at native 4k 30 fps seeing as how the PS5 has roughly 5.5x more tflops and almost 8x more power when IPC gains are applied for the jump from Tahiti to Polaris then RDNA architectures. A 1080p game running on a 1.8 tflops gpu should easily at native 4k running on a 7.2 tflops gpu. ray tracing is very power hungry so the rest of the gpu is likely being used to do ray tracing and push those minor enhancements i listed above.

However, it should be noted that the original trailer was native 4k 30 fps so its possible that nxgamer is wrong here. he did no pixel counting and neither did DF.

Last edited:

Fredrik

No, rewatch the DF video again. They picked up on numerous negatives but overall this was a very impressive showing and is a work in progress.
Maybe the edge shine and some clipping, what else? The nonreactive grass maybe. I still thought NX did a better job, paused, zoomed in, pointed things out the pop in, everything was easily seen. He just talks too fast!

llien

Mm, admittedly, I've planed ZD quite a while ago, but iFW doesn't look to different from it to me.

Facial hair, eh? Very impressive, of course.

Also, it's good to see that female protagonist is properly covered while running around in, what looks like, tropics.

Her face was "covered" to death in another thread, but body as a whole is... wider now. Oh well, dear gorilla, if that gives you more woke points, I don't mind.

I hope dialogs will stop being just "for the love of god, just skip through" level of dull, heck, fix that make her fat positive, or trans positive, or queer positive, would still work.

This guy deserves more views, I prefer his videos over the DF ones. Though I have to admit, a lot of that has to do with that obnoxious german dude that runs everything he says through thesaurus.com first.
Announces Last Call GIF

Sometimes I wonder if he drank too much beer at times.

:pie_fwt:

P.S I love German beer.

99Luffy

Banned
This guy deserves more views, I prefer his videos over the DF ones. Though I have to admit, a lot of that has to do with that obnoxious german dude that runs everything he says through thesaurus.com first.
He doesnt. I still remember the ghost of tsushima video where he spent the entire video trying to convince everyone that all the downgrades in the game compared to the reveal were 'artistic' and not technical. Hes ridiculous.

99Luffy

Banned
Ahem..

Before you ask why i'm linking IGN videos, they hired the "ridiculous" guy.

My bad, IGN hired him. Obviously no longer a blowhard.
And even then they only trusted him to do benchmarks lol. He can be trusted to read numbers Im sure.

Top Bottom