• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Horizon Forbidden West Preview

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Mm, admittedly, I've planed ZD quite a while ago, but iFW doesn't look to different from it to me.

Facial hair, eh? Very impressive, of course.
0K4alI9.gif

ncZ9e0D.gif

z18LprB.gif

pwzB4Ik.gif

Great job by NXGamer NXGamer I really enjoyed the video. I'm not sure if the DF guys are going to come out with a much deeper dive, but this video we in on a lot more stuff.

I am not that versed in the process of making a game cross-gen/work on much weaker platforms, but the breakdown did a good job opening my eyes to a few things that may be held back because of it. There are so many things that I just did not notice or see. That being said, I'm pretty impressed away that this game is supposed to run on a PS4 some how... and I'm excited for the future when we get "true" next gen games that are built from ground up on these new machines!

Last edited:
I think Ratchet looks way better from a technical point of view and the hair animation just looks bad, to be honest.
Ratchet takes it for me as well. But, I think where ppl get more "impressed" by HFW over Ratchet is the "realistic" style of HFW. It's easier for ppl to compare and contrast something they see IRL versus something Ratchet. It's easier for them to make that connection in their heads. "whoa that looks like a real leaf" "whoa that looks like a real bush/forest" versus... that's a lombax :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tommib

Mm, admittedly, I've planed ZD quite a while ago, but iFW doesn't look to different from it to me.

Facial hair, eh? Very impressive, of course.

Also, it's good to see that female protagonist is properly covered while running around in, what looks like, tropics.

Her face was "covered" to death in another thread, but body as a whole is... wider now. Oh well, dear gorilla, if that gives you more woke points, I don't mind.

I hope dialogs will stop being just "for the love of god, just skip through" level of dull, heck, fix that make her fat positive, or trans positive, or queer positive, would still work.

The anti-woke fever is getting as untreatable and paranoid as ResetEra wokism. Lots of cringe in the forums these days.

ABnormal

I think Ratchet looks way better from a technical point of view and the hair animation just looks bad, to be honest.
It's necessary to keep in mind that Horizon has many more systems running behind the scenes: an open world, a dynamic illumination that is constantly recalculated every frame, keeping track of distant enemies, animals and moving objects...
What R&C does miles better, is utilization of the I/O technology, since it's a ps5-only game, built around ps5 characteristics.
Horizon, on the other hand, is castrated in every aspect that has to run on ps4 also. For example, it would have been very fun to have the chance to ride the raptor-like machines running VERY fast and jumping very long. It would create new possibilities of gameplay just by that. But ps4 would not be able to stream environments faster than the present speed, so it's not possible.
It's seriously frustrating: for the firse time, we have a console technology that is able to break the usual limits of asset streaming technology, and it's not possible to use it because they chosen to make exclusives cross-gen. And if exclusives are not built for ps5, what game could?

llien

untreatable and paranoid
Mental illness is a hell of a drug

This reminds me "there is no cancel culture" denialism.
She was very apparently made fatter, not just face, but her body build too, to a point that head is ridiculously big compared to the rest.
Facial hair, on cheeks, on a woman, what an amazing interest to detail, and that's a PS4 game, thank you so much, developers, I will appreciate it.

I hope our modern talibanesque sex negative overlords approve.

One of the reasons dialogs were dull, is the whole braindead wokism.
A female warrior was supposed to do "harr harr", a sort of a Trump like idiotic cringe bravado, ew.

It occurs to me, in my whole life I've never known what kind of sexual kinks do my co-workers have.
Whom do they fuck or who fucks them.
Or whether they fuck at all.

But in games, oh dude, I need to know that one of the nobodies was in love with another nobody, and they were SAME SEX.
Wow, so progressive and totally not a token point.

I mean, possibly. Although, to me, it looks like rather pathetic waste of resources by some dev studio embedded weasels who lack self confidence.

• Empathy
Reactions: Rea

tommib

This reminds me "there is no cancel culture" denialism.
She was very apparently made fatter, not just face, but her body build too, to a point that head is ridiculously big compared to the rest.
Facial hair, on cheeks, on a woman, what an amazing interest to detail, and that's a PS4 game, thank you so much, developers, I will appreciate it.

I hope our modern talibanesque sex negative overlords approve.

One of the reasons dialogs were dull, is the whole braindead wokism.
A female warrior was supposed to do "harr harr", a sort of a Trump like idiotic cringe bravado, ew.

It occurs to me, in my whole life I've never known what kind of sexual kinks do my co-workers have.
Whom do they fuck or who fucks them.
Or whether they fuck at all.

But in games, oh dude, I need to know that one of the nobodies was in love with another nobody, and they were SAME SEX.
Wow, so progressive and totally not a token point.

I mean, possibly. Although, to me, it looks like rather pathetic waste of resources by some dev studio embedded weasels who lack self confidence.
I think you’re just seeing too much and looking for Woke agendas where there’s none. I live in the Netherlands, she looks like half of the Dutch girls I see in the street. It’s the team’s reference.

I’m sorry games have moved on from Manga fantasies. Get used to it, guys. It’s here to stay. It’s clear the games and the entertainment business doesn’t care about your “let’s go back to the 90s physique puritanical expectations”.

The industry won’t miss you because gamers buying the games don’t care about superficial bullshit like this when the games are good. Also, she looks fine in the screenshots people don’t want to use:

JeZ6mEe.jpg

xYJDAgT.jpg

This weekend I made a close friend play the first hour of Returnal. He’s straight, has a beautiful Czech wife and baby girl. During the intro cutscenes he whispered “the astronaut is cute”. Yes, he is into women his age but I immediately thought “oh, if only Gaf could hear you”.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think you’re just seeing too much and looking for Woke agendas where there’s none. I live in the Netherlands, she looks like half of the Dutch girls I see in the street. It’s the team’s reference.

I’m sorry games have moved on from Manga fantasies. Get used to it, guys. It’s here to stay. It’s clear the games and the entertainment business doesn’t care about your “let’s go back to the 90s physique puritanical expectations”.

The industry won’t miss you because gamers buying the games don’t care about superficial bullshit like this when the games are good. Also, she looks fine in the screenshots people don’t want to use:

JeZ6mEe.jpg

xYJDAgT.jpg

This weekend I made a close friend play the first hour of Returnal. He’s straight, has a beautiful Czech wife and baby girl. During the intro cutscenes he whispered “the astronaut is cute”. Yes, he is into women his age but I immediately thought “oh, if only Gaf could hear you”.

Those people are living in a strange fantasy world, out of touch of real world. Aloy looks beautiful. Also cutscene Selene looks very decent looking, but in-game...

E0PQiS2UcAI-RyQ

Monstrosity!:messenger_face_screaming:

llien

where there’s none
Give me a break, seriously.

I live in the Netherlands, she looks like half of the Dutch girls I see in the street
I live near Cologne, Netherlands is the country I visit multiple times a year.
From a foreigner take, this lady looks quite typical:

gXKSYYP.jpg

Living in Netherlands, you might recognize her.

Get used to it, guys.
No, fuck you and our new overlords.

It’s clear the games and the entertainment business doesn’t care about
It is clear Lysenko style events are unleashing in The West and, naturally, there is no opposing force (who would want to be dubbed <something bad> by the people with exclusive rights to attach labels).
No matter how nonsensical it is, when you punish those who disagree, the ball keeps rolling:

games don’t care (I know who would buy what)

Yeah, fuck you too, I'm sure it went well with "The Force is Female".

Do you happen to know, where that "The Future is Female" comes from, by the way?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Give me a break, seriously.

I live near Cologne, Netherlands is the country I visit multiple times a year.
From a foreigner take, this lady looks quite typical:

gXKSYYP.jpg

Living in Netherlands, you might recognize her.

No, fuck you and our new overlords.

It is clear Lysenko style events are unleashing in The West and, naturally, there is no opposing force (who would want to be dubbed <something bad> by the people with exclusive rights to attach labels).
No matter how nonsensical it is, when you punish those who disagree, the ball keeps rolling:

Yeah, fuck you too, I'm sure it went well with "The Force is Female".

Do you happen to know, where that "The Future is Female" comes from, by the way?

Man, not sure why so aggressive. He didn't make her look the way she looks. This is a forum you should expect different opinions in nearly everything. Relax.

llien

Man, not sure why so aggressive
There were two "fuck yous" in the post that I've responded to, one of them quite pathetic (the lovely jump from "nobody is toning down female sexuality" to "get used to it"), but that's beside the point.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There were two "fuck yous" in the post that I've responded to, one of them quite pathetic (the lovely jump from "nobody is toning down female sexuality" to "get used to it"), but that's beside the point.

Are you gonna buy Horizon Forbidden West? If not, this shouldn't bother you. To me, I'm not buying Bayonetta and Neir so how extremely slutty and cheap they look don't bother me much because I'm not interested in those games. Same with many games that I don't like the character design and not buying the game anyway.

Last edited:

llien

@SilmySnake

Honestly, if someone have shown me those pics and told they were from ZD I would not notice.

Only the last one stands out, but for rather somewhat resembling famous glitches in Andromeda:

Rq9zqLP.gif

But then, maybe it was there al the time, I just haven't paid attention, it still looks different to me:

actual runners:

Last edited:

llien

Are you gonna buy Horizon Forbidden West? If not, this shouldn't bother you.
I bought ZD. If I would not buy FW because of the mentioned stuff, it surely bothers me, right?

how extremely slutty and cheap they look
After so many years of evolution, it is refreshing to see that progressive males are starting to have negative reaction to titillation.
Certainly, that being your true reaction not related to any religious like following is a possibility.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I bought ZD. If I would not buy FW because of the mentioned stuff, it surely bothers me, right?

After so many years of evolution, it is refreshing to see that progressive males are starting to have negative reaction to titillation.
Certainly, that being your true reaction not related to any religious like following is a possibility.

<snip>

EDIT: Seems like this comment didn't settle right with some.

Last edited:

llien

I also know that most respectful families in the west won't accept their wives and daughters to walk around dressed like that

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Do you see me bitching about it in their threads?
I don't remember every user on this forum, sorry, and I don't remember you either.
But then, I am rather for pluralism (and disapprove of bans of users promoting super-wokism, I've witnessed it a couple of times :()

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I don't remember every user on this forum, sorry, and I don't remember you either.
But then, I am rather for pluralism (and disapprove of bans of users promoting super-wokism, I've witnessed it a couple of times :()

Anyway, I won't comment any further on this off topic. TLOU2 got lots of backlash for its "WOKENESS". Played the game and it's like 1% of the whole story, and glad I didn't listen to all that BS.

Also you can disagree with me and have different views, it's ok this is a global forum and I personally have many atheist and agnostic friends personally that I love and respect their own lives and choices.

Redlight

I don't really understand your wording clearly, but 100% is related to my cultural, tribal, and religious views. I also know that most respectful families in the west won't accept their wives and daughters to walk around dressed like that, so it's simply a general moral code.

Do you see me bitching about it in their threads? No, I just focus on something else that interests me.
Well, that deserves a giant 'fuck off'.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
How fucking sad are you cunts that an incredible looking game by a fantastic developer is being cut to threads over the look of its protagonist... i mean seriously? she looks fucking great, she looks grounded in reality albeit the woman has got some serious moves.. and you neckbeards are whining over slight facial hair, heavy set face, clothing.. Jesus fucking wept... Of all the things worthy of discussion from the little snippet we got, ya gotta keep going to the looks department...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How fucking sad are you cunts that an incredible looking game by a fantastic developer is being cut to threads over the look of its protagonist... i mean seriously? she looks fucking great, she looks grounded in reality albeit the woman has got some serious moves.. and you neckbeards are whining over slight facial hair, heavy set face, clothing.. Jesus fucking wept... Of all the things worthy of discussion from the little snippet we got, ya gotta keep going to the looks department...
True. Also, she doesn't look that different from the first game. The trolls just picked a screenshot while she was talking and the camera was first-person to make it look worse.

Here's another image of her from the same trailer.

lEbjkxQ.jpg

mxbison

Well people went absolutely fucking nuclear over Abby's biceps in TLOU2.

Never underestimate the anger of a lonely gamer.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
True. Also, she doesn't look that different from the first game. The trolls just picked a screenshot while she was talking and the camera was first-person to make it look worse.

lEbjkxQ.jpg
i couldnt care how she looks, all i see is an incredibly detailed, realistic looking protagonist... i mean christ look at that

Rikkori

This guy deserves more views, I prefer his videos over the DF ones. Though I have to admit, a lot of that has to do with that obnoxious german dude that runs everything he says through thesaurus.com first.
Nah. His output is too inconsistent for him to pick up traction, and besides that the way he delivers information is honestly just a bunch of droning and spewing off jargon. Even as a rendering nerd it's honestly off-putting in the way he delivers it. Ultimately presentation matters a lot as these videos are usually consumed as quasi-entertainment and he unfortunately doesn't deliver on that front.

Last edited:

Duchess

lEbjkxQ.jpg
See, to me, she looks super cute in that screenshot.

Duchess

Tell you something, it's clear that they're going to be very careful with Aloy's outfits in this one, otherwise during the swimming sections you'll often be staring right up her fu fu.

tommib

See, to me, she looks super cute in that screenshot.
Yeah but they don’t want you to focus on that. They’ll distract you a wide angle potato face snap. It’s sad as hell, man.

These guys should all be excited about gorgeous graphics and gameplay but instead come out as a bunch of drag queens preoccupied with how feminine a game character is. Maybe that’s it, they’re all drag queens.

Redlight

Meant these though to put you in perspective as you're late to the convo:

nier-automata-controversial-final-secret.jpg

platinum-games-studio-head-says-its-hard-to-get-excited-about-next-gen.jpg

Should I fuck off or fuck in?
I also know that most respectful families in the west won't accept their wives and daughters to walk around dressed like that, so it's simply a general moral code.
Not you, necessarily, but the attitude inherent in the bolded part of your statement?

Yes, that can fuck right off.

"Respectful families in the west", "their wives and daughters", "dressed like that", a "general moral code", who the fuck are you? The ayatollah?

You say I'm late to the convo? Well, that's funny, I feel that you're about 50 years late to this one.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Not you, necessarily, but the attitude inherent in the bolded part of your statement?

Yes, that can fuck right off.

"Respectful families in the west", "their wives and daughters", "dressed like that", a "general moral code", who the fuck are you? The ayatollah?

You say I'm late to the convo? Well, that's funny, I feel that you're about 50 years late to this one.

I personally enjoy seeing my wife in a low cut top, she's got amazing breasts so why not as for my daughter yeah she's getting a fucking burka on everytime she goes out when she's older...

Shmunter

If that offended you (or anyone here) then I'm sorry, not trying to force my views on anyone. Deleted the previous posts.
Not sure why anyone should have issues with cultural norms. Its our differences that give humanity its vibrancy.

Not to be confused with fake outrage and misguided post modern equity drive trying to tear down actual culture.

laynelane

If that offended you (or anyone here) then I'm sorry, not trying to force my views on anyone. Deleted the previous posts.

I think of it as surprising more than offensive. To me, clothing is more a form of self-expression than a morality issue. I'm aware that it wasn't always that way in the past but times have changed in many parts of the world.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure why anyone should have issues with cultural norms. Its our differences that give humanity its vibrancy.

Not to be confused with fake outrage and misguided post modern equity drive trying to tear down actual culture.

Thank you, brother, even though it seems like I had different ideas about the current state in the west. Last time been in the US was in 2004 and the western friends I know personally share these. But seems like it's more diverse than that and I don't wanna look like I'm forcing my views into someone unless I'm asked to share.

I think of it as surprising more than offensive. To me, clothing is more a form of self-expression than a morality issue. I'm aware that it wasn't always that way in the past but times have changed in many parts of the world.

It remains the same here though, tied to religious and tribal backgrounds which I totally embrace, but not very good myself. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I personally enjoy seeing my wife in a low cut top, she's got amazing breasts so why not as for my daughter yeah she's getting a fucking burka on everytime she goes out when she's older...

In house? Of course that where we go wild. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: There are many private chalets with private pools, go naked there if we want as well.:messenger_winking_tongue: It's just we didn't get the trend of "sharing is caring".:lollipop_anguish: Also burka is actually a tribal thing, not religious (hijab is). It's kinda fading away lately to avoid covering identity in governmental departments and companies.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned

JeZ6mEe.jpg

xYJDAgT.jpg

I work with a ton of Dutch people (women included), and this lines up pretty much with what I've been saying - She looks dutch, and the actress is dutch.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Horizon Forbidden West is all the hype right now and is the next biggest game coming out after Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart for the PS5. Gaming Instincts decided to do some fancy editing to bring you what a 60FPS Horizon Forbidden West gameplay would look like compared to 30 FPS. Enjoy!

Top Bottom