• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Democrats: ‘Our Brand Is Worse Than Trump’

Chococat

Okay? Do you want their votes or not? Do you want to win elections or not? Do you want to stop Trump or not?

What wins do the Bernie Bros bring to the table?

All Bernie Bros and not liberals, may are conservative. How is Bernie Bros going to protect my women's right? How is Bernie going to protect my minority friend and family, and LGTBQ rights?

Gattsu25

Banned
I don't understand the tantrum? Didn't he do much better than he should have and made it an extremely close race in an extremely red area?
7Rl3kFp.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
The thread doesn't seem to have an answer though.
Yeah, the thread has only ever provided three reasons for why she must go:
  • She's too old 🤔
  • The Republicans tied her to Ossof and that is somehow the reason he lost (they also tied Bernie to Ossof 🤔)
  • Despite being great at her job, she's not good at doing things that aren't her job in the first place 🤔

Until someone comes up with an actual reason people will continue to give the sideeye to calls that she should be primaried

Chococat

• She's too old 🤔
  • The Republicans tied her to Ossof and that is somehow the reason he lost (they also tied Bernie to Ossof 🤔)
  • Despite being great at her job, she's not good at doing things that aren't her job in the first place 🤔

Until someone comes up with an actual reason people will continue to give the sideeye to calls that she should be primaried

Quoting this for truth.

I distrust anyone who wants to remove Pelosi when they can give a good reason to why AND the solution of who should replace her.

"Hell no we dont want to get out the vote. If people show up to vote we lose." - Lee Atwater - back in the fucking 80's.

So that was true in the 80's. So tell me why you are losing elections. In 2016. With your shifting demographics you love to talk about so much.

Why are people blaming this loss on Nancy Pelosi? Just the closest available woman or what?
If you live in the 6th district then you saw Pelosi's face on a daily basis because Republicans used her in every Ossoff ad that they put out. I honestly don't think it affected much, but there is concern that Republicans are making her the face of the Democratic party now and that may not be helpful in future elections.

Gattsu25

Banned
If you live in the 6th district then you saw Pelosi's face on a daily basis because Republicans used her in every Ossoff ad that they put out. I honestly don't think it affected much, but there is concern that Republicans are making her the face of the Democratic party now and that may not be helpful in future elections.
So we should fall for the Republican's sexism?

• She's too old 🤔

Purity tests!

Some so called liberals won't even vote for resurrected Jesus or recreated Captain America, they'll find a small stain and go sulk in a corner while republicans keep winning without much effort as their base is loyal and doesn't require a perfect candidate, he can shoot people in the streets but if he stops pro abortion laws they are ok with that.

Sometimes I'm not sure who the dumb voters actually are. I mean the so called deplorables get shit done at least.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yet pelosi is minority leader.

Corporate democrats need to be outed.
All they do is lose

The issue is simple. When democrats take big donor money, they cant point the finger at gop corruption.

Also, big donor money forces them adopt stances that alienate the base.

Want to win?

Democrats need new leadership

Demonstrably, they can be key to winning an election and are easily persuaded by bullshit promises. As such, deciding they're not ideologically compatible will result in a string of losses unless a substitute voter block is found.

So any plans on how to make the youth vote?

Find a candidate who wants to nationally legalize weed. Everyone 18 to 25 will show up.

ultrazilla

As long as they keep dragging out the "Russians" and investigations...it's only making his supporters stronger to re-elect him. It's obvious by the recent dem defeats that people are fed up with the in-fighting/non message/Trump is the boogeyman nonsense. They need to do a 180 here or they're handing him the White House again. Simple as that.

Knoxcore

A healthy Democracy requires a revolving door of leaders. The top 1-2-3 Democrats in the House is 77, 78 and 76 years hold and have held their positions for 10+ years despite losses in 2010, 2014 and 2016. The GOP 1-2-3 are 47, 52 and 51 and no one has been there for more than 3 years. Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn must go and go before the 2018 midterms begin in earnest.

Yet pelosi is minority leader.

Corporate democrats need to be outed.
All they do is lose

The issue is simple. When democrats take big donor money, they cant point the finger at gop corruption.

Also, big donor money forces them adopt stances that alienate the base.

Want to win?

Democrats need new leadership

A former executive for Goldman Sachs, running as a Democrat, caused one of the largest swings in a district of all the special elections this year.

Where's the evidence anything you said would help at all?

The democratic leadership is god - fucking - awful. Out with the lot of them.

Yes, let's kick them all out, and let the Bernie crowd run the Democratic party. You've now deflated Minority turnout, told moderates and independents that they don't matter, and sold out on key planks of the party like abortion and equality.
Congratulations, you've made a party that works well in a proportional system as a party that gets 10 percent of the vote.

boiled goose

good with gravy
A former executive for Goldman Sachs, running as a Democrat, caused one of the largest swings in a district of all the special elections this year.

Where's the evidence that the swing was due to the candidate and not in spite of the candidate?

Want evidence? Look at polling.

Look at polls on popularity of wall street.
Look at polls on popularity of big corporations.
Look at what popular politicians are saying about corporate influence.
Look at polls regarding dissatisfaction of corporate influence.

And fucking talk to people. Ask young people what they care about.

It's so obvious. :/

Yes, let's kick them all out, and let the Bernie crowd run the Democratic party. You've now deflated Minority turnout, told moderates and independents that they don't matter, and sold out on key planks of the party like abortion and equality.
Congratulations, you've made a party that works well in a proportional system as a party that gets 10 percent of the vote.

Now THIS is a baseless claim.

A more progressive Democratic party would likely include more women and minorities as candidates, instead of big donor sanitized candidates. But less lets keep it as it is. We have enough diversity in Congress. /sarcasm

Look at popularity numbers of progressive candidates among minorities and stop making shit up.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Where's the evidence that the swing was due to the candidate and not in spite of the candidate?

Look at polls about how Americans feel about gun control, and then look at how people have voted for the last ten years. Lots of these things poll poorly, or poll popularly, or whatever. None of them seem to change what people stamp at the ballot box

As long as they keep dragging out the "Russians" and investigations...it's only making his supporters stronger to re-elect him. It's obvious by the recent dem defeats that people are fed up with the in-fighting/non message/Trump is the boogeyman nonsense. They need to do a 180 here or they're handing him the White House again. Simple as that.

How can you make this statement when his approval in general keeps dropping AND he's losing support among his hardcore zealots? If anything, the Russia investigation has been a tick, slowly draining blood from his presidency.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Look at polls about how Americans feel about gun control, and then look at how people have voted for the last ten years. Lots of these things poll poorly, or poll popularly, or whatever. None of them seem to change what people stamp at the ballot box

One party caters the base.

One party apologizes to the right.

Guess which people show up to vote .

Also, not sure how "gun control" polls overall. Specific issues like background checks are what's supported

Where't the evidence any of this will translate into political gains? Candidates pushing for this stuff haven't ran that well in 2016 and 2017.

Bernie lost. Feingold lost. Perriello lost.

And while Democrats lost the special elections, it's not like there was any notable different between Ossoff's loss and Quist's loss. The outlier of the bunch of losers who did exceptionally well wasn't even close to being a Bernie style Democrat.

Chococat

A healthy Democracy requires a revolving door of leaders. The top 1-2-3 Democrats in the House is 77, 78 and 76 years hold and have held their positions for 10+ years despite losses in 2010, 2014 and 2016. The GOP 1-2-3 are 47, 52 and 51 and no one has been there for more than 3 years. Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn must go and go before the 2018 midterms begin in earnest.

Those dems have held their position because their constitutes think they are doing a good job. Tell me what "wins" they young GOP have had seeing they control all three branches right now and keep getting smacked down by the courts and their constituents are revolting in their districts. RNC winning winning by being obstructionist- not be serving the people.

Tell me, who shall replace those three right now?

It not the congress critters jobs to win elections and excite the DNC base- it there job to serve and make laws.

It's the DNC job to cultivate new talent and make a platform. That is Perez and Ellison job. And somehow Bernie's even though he is not a Dem and trash talks everyone.

How about we get DNC to do it job? And we give Bernie the ultimatum of he is with us or against us. Cause right now, he is against us. He is helping the RNC destroy the DNC from within.

One party caters the base.

One party apologizes to the right.

Guess which people show up to vote .

Also, not sure how "gun control" polls overall. Specific issues like background checks are what's supported

You?

"Oh we're so sorry Mr. GOP that the corrupt Clinton is our candidate! Please don't go after her too hard :("

"I know it's so strange that I use all your talking points when going after democrats, but really I'm totally not doing it on purpose!"

A more progressive Democratic party would likely include more women and minorities as candidates, instead of big donor sanitized candidates. But less lets keep it as it is. We have enough diversity in Congress. /sarcasm

Look at popularity numbers of progressive candidates among minorities and stop making shit up.

Says who? What I do know is that in the last primary, Bernie lost due to minority, moderate and female voters voting for Hillary. Meanwhile, Bernie had no problem endorsing a pro-lifer, and is awfully silent when it comes to matters like racial equality.

Tarydax

Banned

Parnell did better than Quist, Mellow, and Ossoff did in their special elections, and Periello lost the VA Dem primary by a wide margin, and Parnell was far closer to Wall Street than any of those four.

If people cared THAT much about Wall Street, Parnell should have performed worse than anyone.

What wins do the Bernie Bros bring to the table?

All Bernie Bros and not liberals, may are conservative. How is Bernie Bros going to protect my women's right? How is Bernie going to protect my minority friend and family, and LGTBQ rights?
I dont know about your friends but many minorities would benefit greatly from better conditions for working class americans.

ultrazilla

How can you make this statement when his approval in general keeps dropping AND he's losing support among his hardcore zealots? If anything, the Russia investigation has been a tick, slowly draining blood from his presidency.

It's already been established by testimony that Russia did not alter, change or tamper with votes or vote counts. His followers continue to say this is nothing but a diversion from focusing on the Clinton email situation that has been proven very real.

But you can go on thinking the way you do, that's what will hand Trump a second term.

It's already been established by testimony that Russia did not alter, change or tamper with votes or vote counts. His followers continue to say this is nothing but a diversion from focusing on the Clinton email situation that has been proven very real.

But you can go on thinking the way you do, that's what will hand Trump a second term.

Nobody is really talking about Russia tampering with the election by literally changing votes. That's a diversion from the GOP to take away from the real investigation into if Trump or people employed by Trump, were taking money in exchange for influence.

The one that's going on now with a special investigator who continues to add new, highly experienced people to his team. He wouldn't be growing the operation if stuff wasn't unfolding.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about is even being investigated by Mueller at this point.

If someone breaks into a house but doesn't steal anything, should he avoid prosecution? All of our intelligence agencies, and even foreign ones, agree that Russia interfered in our election by hacking the DNC's emails, spreading propaganda, and attempting to hack state voting systems. Look at recent polls showing the public believes in the Russia scandal and questions Trump's handling of it.

All my online friends are commies and they've made it hard for me to see the Democratic Party as anything but slightly less malicious Republicans with dramatically worse strategy. I have lost all faith in the party establishment and my cynicism has generally been borne out by results.

lol

so basically you let a group of people you don't even know completely influence your idea of what the political landscape is based on fantasy wishes of people who probably don't even vote.

A+

Ponn

Banned
Demonstrably, they can be key to winning an election and are easily persuaded by bullshit promises. As such, deciding they're not ideologically compatible will result in a string of losses unless a substitute voter block is found.

So any plans on how to make the youth vote?

First I have to ask since you aren't the only one that keeps repeating this as fact but are there any actual numbers out there showing Bernie bro turned Trump voters that can back up the idea they helped his win? And keep in mind there was a lot of bullshit at that time with alt-righters trying to muddy those waters and pass misinformation.

To the second point I would argue that's it's the time the democrats stop assuming the black vote and actively start working in those communities, strengthening those relationships and giving those communities a bigger voice in the party. While the Dems are getting a large percentage of the black vote, a large percentage of those black communities are not getting out to vote for a variety of reasons. Reasons the DNC could work harder on helping and facilitating to make it easier to vote by using campaign and donation money for those communities instead of in rich white flaky moderate GOP communities that were never going to vote Democrat anyways. You want to talk about a youth block that has gone untapped? GOP already sees the Dems as the minority party, it's just the Dems only do the bare minimum to reach out to these communities time and time again. Stop looking outward and start building these leadership roles in these communities, stop treating movements like BLM like the plague and embrace them, make them a part of your platform and inspire leadership from the youth of these groups to become voices in politics and the party.

Heck of a lot more reliable and stronger than a base of jag offs willing to throw an entire country under the bus out of spite.

ultrazilla

See, this is the problem the dems are having. Focusing on Trump/Russia and blocking anything he does only empowers his followers and the recent dem defeats have only made it more obvious. People are sick and tired of dems being more focused on Trump than you know, help their constituents and finding a common voice or message.

This is what fed Trump the presidency. The fighting, the spinning of tires, the witch hunts....non messaging.

But whatever, the democrats are their own worst enemy and they're going to re-elect Trump if they continue down this path.

Slayven

See, this is the problem the dems are having. Focusing on Trump/Russia and blocking anything he does only empowers his followers and the recent dem defeats have only made it more obvious. People are sick and tired of dems being more focused on Trump than you know, help their constituents and finding a common voice or message.

This is what fed Trump the presidency. The fighting, the spinning of tires, the witch hunts....non messaging.

But whatever, the democrats are their own worst enemy and they're going to re-elect Trump if they continue down this path.

Dems can't block shit. Freedom Caucus did more damage to the health care bill then they did

Sianos

All my online friends are commies and they've made it hard for me to see the Democratic Party as anything but slightly less malicious Republicans with dramatically worse strategy. I have lost all faith in the party establishment and my cynicism has generally been borne out by results.

What did they say that convinced you that Democrats are "slightly less malicious Republicans"?

How can Democrats block anything when they lack majorities in Congress?

Yeah, you want to spread right-wing lies, not to have an actual discussion.

I'm trying to figure out how the minority party with no control in any branch of government has blocked anything Trump's wanted and I'm coming up blank

Got any specific examples of the Democrats blocking something?

Chococat

Please give examples of messages Dems should put out.

In my mid life, the Dem platform seems pretty obvious to me and it not just being anti republican. Dems are for:

• protecting the environment
  • protecting the workers rights
  • protecting the human rights of women, minorities, LGTBQ
  • fare wages for all
  • healthcare for all
  • education for all
  • work reeducation programs
  • grassroots community programs to rebuild committees
  • infrastructure
  • fixing police and rehabilitation over punishment when possible
  • less foreign wars and less aggressive military
  • Immigration reform that simplifies path to citizenship and takes care of migrant workers

etc.

Perhaps if we share details, we could build that message together.

Jas

Where't the evidence any of this will translate into political gains? Candidates pushing for this stuff haven't ran that well in 2016 and 2017.

Bernie lost. Feingold lost. Perriello lost.

And while Democrats lost the special elections, it's not like there was any notable different between Ossoff's loss and Quist's loss. The outlier of the bunch of losers who did exceptionally well wasn't even close to being a Bernie style Democrat.

Biggest flip the Democrats have had since Trump took office was in New York's 9th Assembly District where Christine Pellegrino who won with a 39 point swing.

She was a Bernie Sanders delegate.

As for the 4 special elections go, the outlier was Thompson...

Screen_Shot_2017_06_21_at_11.56.47_AM.png

The DCCC gave him $0 compared to the $5 million they gave Ossoff.

Biggest flip the Democrats have had since Trump took office was in New York’s 9th Assembly District where Christine Pellegrino who won with a 39 point swing.

She was a Bernie Sanders delegate.

As far the 4 special elections go, the outlier was Thompson...

Screen_Shot_2017_06_21_at_11.56.47_AM.png

The DCCC gave him $0 compared to the $5 million they gave Ossoff.

Thanks for some examples of a Bernie democrat doing well.

But I still don't think moving far left is a band aid fix for all of the Democrat's problems. And I don't think there's any evidence of that.

MrGerbils

Explain. With details please.

Livable minimum wage, universal health care, and publicly funded higher education. If you don't understand how those 3 things would help everyone, including minority communities then you're too far gone.

I'm curious to hear what actual policies that Ossoff or other centrist democrats personally proposed would help minority communities as much as those 3 things.

But I still don't think moving far left is a band aid fix for all of the Democrat's problems. And I don't think there's any evidence of that.

Corbyn is pretty great evidence of that. Different countries but there's obvious parallels between things like brexit and trump as well as Corbyn and American Democratic Socialism.

fantomena

Far left as in universal healthcare, banning private prisons, tuition free college, justice system reform etc.? If that's far left in the US Im never going to move the the US. Just makes me sad.

Ms.Galaxy

Livable minimum wage, universal health care, and publicly funded higher education. If you don't understand how those 3 things would help everyone, including minority communities then you're too far gone.

When rich blacks are treated more unfairly than the poor whites, none of those policies are going to help minorities as long as we don't address and clear out the institutionalized racism in our system.

What good is a livable minimum wage when it's still legal for so many businesses to discriminate against the LGBT and the backroom racism that discriminate people of color from jobs? What good is universal healthcare when black lives are being shot and killed for no reason? What good is publicly funded high education when our school to prison system holds back so many minorities from even getting passed high school? These policies are good, yes, but right now it's not going to benefit a majority of minorities at all.

I'm a Social Democrat, I believe in Bernie and the Left's views the majority of the time and I advocate for it, but we need to operate with the realities of this country. The United States is a center-right to right wing nation who has yet to release itself from white supremacy. It's hidden from the public (not really), but internally there's a lot of shit that's holding back minorities and will continue to do so until we rip it up. These things you purpose will only benefit the white majority, minorities will continuously be discriminated and pushed back away from those benefits.

kess

Great, now we just need to run a Goldman Sachs executive in every House seat from now on.

Regardless of where people stand on Pelosi, it's pretty damning that people think they are in a situation where they think the younger leadership would be worse. It's not a sign of confidence in the party's future.

Cagey

Banned
When rich blacks are treated more unfairly than the poor whites, none of those policies are going to help minorities as long as we don't address and clear out the institutionalized racism in our system.

What good is a livable minimum wage when it's still legal for so many businesses to discriminate against the LGBT and the backroom racism that discriminate people of color from jobs? What good is universal healthcare when black lives are being shot and killed for no reason? What good is publicly funded high education when our school to prison system holds back so many minorities from even getting passed high school? These policies are good, yes, but right now it's not going to benefit a majority of minorities at all.

I'm a Social Democrat, I believe in Bernie and the Left's views the majority of the time and I advocate for it, but we need to operate with the realities of this country. The United States is a center-right to right wing nation who has yet to release itself from white supremacy. It's hidden from the public (not really), but internally there's a lot of shit that's holding back minorities and will continue to do so until we rip it up. These things you purpose will only benefit the white majority, minorities will continuously be discriminated and pushed back away from those benefits.
How do you plan on fixing the first bolded statement? What tangible, realistically implemented policies enacted can fix that?

For the second bolded statement, you likely mean to say "disproportionately" as opposed to "only" and even then you'd need to demonstrate 1) the expected level of disproportionality and 2) why it's so bad that there's no reason to reap even the disproportionate benefits while combatting institutionalized racism.

EDIT: I mean... you ask what good is universal healthcare when black Americans are killed at a disproportionately higher rate by the police than all other racial groups, specifically at a rate roughly 2-3x more than white Americans? The answer is an obvious "undeniably incredible amount of good". Do you think police killings are among the top 3 causes of death or something?

FyreWulff

Nancy Pelosi has been Speaker/Minority Leader since 2003... which is 12 years.... which is a hell of a lot more than 2.

And the Republicans still let Henry fuckin' Kissinger, who predates the existence of the United States, into the White House each time they get back in

13 years as a Democrat Hero Unit is p damn small compared to that.

Tarydax

Banned
Corbyn is pretty great evidence of that. Different countries but

Like you said, the US isn't the UK.

parallels between things like brexit and trump as well as Corbyn and American Democratic Socialism.

No, you really can't compare Bernie's movement to Corbyn's. The policy positions are similar, and yeah, Bernie had more young voters than Clinton, but Bernie still got washed out of the Democratic primary by millions of votes, whereas Corbyn stomped his rivals when he was elected the leader of his party twice in a row (59% and 61%). Beyond that, he recently had the biggest youth turnout in decades (72%) and was put within striking distance of becoming the PM. Bernie has never been a Democrat and hasn't had to work within a party; Corbyn, meanwhile, has been in Labour for decades. He has demonstrated that he can negotiate, compromise, and build relationships with others within his party, while at the same time being one of the most rebellious MPs in Labour's history.

If Bernie were anything like Corbyn, he could have beaten Clinton.

Steel

Banned
^Yeah, no Corbyn wasn't really respected by his party and he has some weird ass policy positions like capping wages at... His wage level.

Corbyn is pretty great evidence of that. Different countries but there's obvious parallels between things like brexit and trump as well as Corbyn and American Democratic Socialism.

Yeah Corbyn brought his party to margins less favorable to his party than the situation in Congress is to democrats right now. Exactly what the dems need after winning the popular vote, which Corbyn's labour did not, in their election.

Top Bottom