• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler 2 isn't on more platforms due to an internal decision Square Enix made "after observing the sales of other titles"

Draugoth

Gold Member

The first Octopath Traveler isn't available on PlayStation platforms, but its sequel is. Why did you decide to make Octopath Traveler II a multiplatform release?

Takahashi:
Of course we have heard all the Octopath Traveler fans out there asking for a PlayStation release and the team also wanted to challenge ourselves to try to get the game on as many platforms as possible. Apart from that, we made the decision internally after observing the sales of other titles.

Have you thought about releasing the first game on PlayStation?

Takahashi:
We did look into it. However, we wanted to focus all our efforts on developing Octopath Traveler II and this also links in to your next question about whether you need to have played the first game to enjoy Octopath Traveler II or not.

To reduce misunderstandings about this, we decided against trying to align a PlayStation release of Octopath Traveler with the release of Octopath Traveler II.

Do you think players can dive into Octopath Traveler II without playing the first game?

Takahashi:
Yes, I very much do think they can dive into the series from Octopath Traveler II. Octopath Traveler II is set in a completely new world and is not linked to the story of the first game in any way, so players can be reassured that they can start from Octopath Traveler II without missing anything.

As implied in the title, this is a game about travelling and enjoying a journey. We felt that it was essential to set the game in a completely new world in order to give the player that feeling of excitement and anticipation when exploring it, wondering what lies down the next path or who could be living in the next town.

Excited Ne-Yo GIF by Nickelodeon

There is no surprise biggest audience for this type of game are in Playstation and Nintendo, not on Xbox.

If you are fan of Japanese games, you buy Playstation, Nintendo and even PC over Xbox.
You don't have to look further than Lost Odyssey to see this truth. Microsoft gave it an honest shot. They made a truly great JRPG (they also made Blue Dragon) as an exclusive for Xbox 360, their console with their largest install base ever.

And most Xbox fans still said, "nah, we're good. Not our thing."

Last edited:

Three

Yup, what he meant to say is that it isn't on more platforms because Jim Ryan blocked it!
He wasn't even asked that. He was asked what made them release 2 on Playstation and he said fans asking for it and internal data from other game sales. I do think they skipped xbox due to low sales anyway but he didn't even mention that platform or the reason.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He's not saying what you guys think he is saying. And the question honestly doesn't even technically make sense because he asks the question framed in a way that the game is now changing to being multiplatform just in the sequel. The first was also multiplatform.

The tweet also totally twists what he said. The whole part of the tweet before the quoted part was literally never said. He was only speaking in regards to why it is on PS and was only asked about PS.

He's not saying what you guys think he is saying. And the question honestly doesn't even technically make sense because he asks the question framed in a way that the game is now changing to being multiplatform just in the sequel. The first was also multiplatform.

The tweet also totally twists what he said. The whole part of the tweet before the quoted part was literally never said. He was only speaking in regards to why it is on PS and was only asked about PS.
so...what is he saying?. i'm lost.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He was asked why part 2 is on PS. He responded saying they observed sales on PS for other titles and that is why the game is on PS.
Still doesn’t change the fact the reason Octopath 2 is not on Xbox because the audience in not on there. This is same reason why games like Tactics Ogre, Atelier Ryza 3, GrimGrimore Oncemore, Great Ace Attorney and even Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster is not coming to Xbox and people can’t tell me it’s because “Sony pay money for those games”.

Thats only true for FFXVI but not for those games I mention above.

Last edited:

Puscifer

You don't have to look further than Lost Odyssey to see this truth. Microsoft gave it an honest shot. They made a truly great JRPG (they also made Blue Dragon) as an exclusive for Xbox 360, their console with their largest install base ever.

And most Xbox fans still said, "nah, we're good. Not our thing."
Man Lost Odyssey being locked into Xbox makes me sad. That game needs at least a PC port, there's some flat out AMAZING songs on the soundtrack. Some of Uetmatsus best work is there, unheard!

Also just to add, Mistwalker was started with Microsoft money which makes the situation when worse to capture the Japanese audience and they just don't want it.

Edit: listening to this song again I'm amazed how well the lyrics fit the story.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Xbox needs to grow their japanese audience.

Most japanese people who own xbox have PS/Nintendo. They buy those games from those system, which affects the sales of Xbox copies.

Until MS fixes that issue, the sales would be bad.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Still doesn’t change the fact the reason Octopath 2 is no Xbox because the audience in not on there. This is same reason why games like Tactics Ogre, Atelier Ryza 3, GrimGrimore Oncemore, Great Ace Attorney and even Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster is not coming to Xbox and people can’t tell me it’s because “Sony pay money for those games”.

That only true for FFXVI but not for those games I mention above.
Believe what you like. Sounds like you made up your mind.

I'd rather wait to see some kind of official confirmation. If any money was paid, they're not allowed to discuss it. In this article, I personally think people are misreading it. But the whole thing is framed strangely so I can't blame them too much.

Xbox needs to grow their japanese audience.

Most japanese people who own xbox have PS/Nintendo. They buy those games from those system, which affects the sales of Xbox copies.

Until MS fixes that issue, the sales would be bad.
go and apply for the Xbox CEO position. i bet you could save that division

Danjin44

Believe what you like. Sounds like you made up your mind.

I'd rather wait to see some kind of official confirmation. If any money was paid, they're not allowed to discuss it. In this article, I personally think people are misreading it. But the whole thing is framed strangely so I can't blame them too much.
I just don’t see the reason for Sony to pay for games like Octopath 2 and still release it to other system other than Xbox. Sony actual payed for FFXVI thats only releasing on Playstation and maybe later on PC

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just don’t see the reason for Sony to pay for games like Octopath 2 and still release it to other system other than Xbox. Sony actual payed for FFXVI thats only releasing on Playstation and maybe later on PC
Octo 1 was on GP so it was probably one of the only new JRPGs to stand a chance of having a fan base interested in the sequel. Sony can probably lock it up pretty cheaply.

Not sure how anyone can really argue there's zero interest in FF Pixel Remasters on Xbox. Its literally the biggest SQEX series.

Last edited:
The game(s) just didn't sell regardless of platform. The money they would get for a game pass deal would likely surpass the revenue they generated from sales.
its pretty clear octo 1 sold very well (on nintendo).
DOl1VdN.jpg

octo 2:
v8vGLBc.jpg

the news here is not that the sequel skipped xbox ( like...how many copies are we talking about? 12 🤣😂).

EDIT:
OHHHH I get it know... This is indeed about Xbox. yikes
If Octo 1 was on Game Pass and not enough people play it to grant the sequel a release on Xbox.

i think that is pretty bad. (even worse than the narrative of "poor sales on Xbox")

Last edited:

Danjin44

Octo 1 was on GP so it was probably one of the only new JRPGs to stand a chance of having a fan base interested in the sequel. Sony can probably lock it up pretty cheaply.
But if thats the case wouldn't make more sense for Sony try to prevent the game releasing on Switch? Since the first game was exclusive to Switch when it first launched and most audience who looking forward to sequel would be on Switch.

Not sure how anyone can really argue there's zero interest in FF Pixel Remasters on Xbox. Its literally the biggest SQEX series.
That one I agree, FF is big name, it might not sell as much on PS5 and Switch but it would still sale decently on Xbox.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
But if thats the case wouldn't make more sense for Sony try to prevent the game releasing on Switch? Since the first game was exclusive to Switch when it first launched and most audience who looking forward to sequel would be on Switch.

That one I agree, FF is big name, it might not sell as much on PS5 and Switch but it would still sale decently on Xbox.
SQEX will probably not agree to block it on Switch. Its by far the biggest platform for them in Japan. Non-negotiable. Nintendo also probably helps fund many of the HD2D stuff.

Last edited:

nikolino840

so? if I understand right.
he is saying Xbox sells numbers are too low?
Is math... a % of 50m installed base will be always smaller then a % of 150m installed base .... even if everyone who has an xbox (100% of buyers) buy a game will be always less then then the 50% of PlayStation buyers

Danjin44

SQEX will probably not agree to block it on Switch. Its by far the biggest platform for them in Japan. Non-negotiable. Nintendo also probably helps fund many of the HD2D stuff.
That kind of makes sense, I would imagine Sony would had to pay A LOT more money to prevent from releasing on Switch.

Is math... a % of 50m installed base will be always smaller then a % of 150m installed base .... even if everyone who has an xbox (100% of buyers) buy a game will be always less than the 50% of PlayStation buyers
is not about that. Octo 1 was available on Game Pass. is not about sales. is about engagement through the service.

ProtoByte

Is math... a % of 50m installed base will be always smaller then a % of 150m installed base .... even if everyone who has an xbox (100% of buyers) buy a game will be always less then then the 50% of PlayStation buyers
And that's a big if. It's been shown that non-lowest casual denominator 3rd party games sell disproportionately higher on PlayStation. This was before Gamepass too.

Top Bottom