• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler II |OT| Can't We Talk This Over Like Normal Adults?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finished the main story the other night, with a little over 100 hours... this is a ridiculously STRONG contender for my GotY, my goodness. Probably haven't felt this level of bittersweet hype/completion satisfaction since FFVII Remake and Persona 5.
giphy.gif

Exentryk

Does anybody have any not too spoiler-y hints on approaching this? Thanks!
The extra story chapter is already marked on the map after you complete every character's story chapter and crossed paths.

The other remaining thing is the superboss and you have to do a couple of sidequests to unlock this superboss sidequest.

Last edited:
The extra story chapter is already marked on the map after you complete every character's story chapter and crossed paths.

The other remaining thing is the superboss and you have to do a couple of sidequests to unlock this superboss sidequest.
Ah ok, yeah I've done the extra story chapter and seen the epilogue, so I guess I already did that first part

For the remaining thing... hmmm. In that case, I have 8 sidequests left, with only 2 of them in particular that seem important enough to be the answer then -those being finding the last Armsmaster rusty weapon, and making another Inventor invention (and that last large unmarked empty glass case always did seem suspect...)

I'll aim for finishing those two first and see what happens- thanks!

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Some of these boss fights man... A few I'm unprepared for, and they're kicking my ass. Some of these fights are taking me like 40-50 minutes.

I guess it's pretty similar to the first game in that regard.

Some of these boss fights man... A few I'm unprepared for, and they're kicking my ass. Some of these fights are taking me like 40-50 minutes.

I guess it's pretty similar to the first game in that regard.
Definitely had a similar experience, haha- I spent even longer than that on a few of these bosses in particular, for sure

Dynasty8

So I heard this game is stupid easy compared to the first. Kind of turned me off and made me skip it even though I loved the first. Any word of a hard mode being patched in?

Graciaus

So I heard this game is stupid easy compared to the first. Kind of turned me off and made me skip it even though I loved the first. Any word of a hard mode being patched in?
The first game is also very easy outside of the optional job fights.

I doubt there will be a patch but someone did make a hack for the 1st one.

You can make it harder by decreasing the encounter rate and not using the best gear you have. Switching out party members helps and don't use hikari/throne.

Last edited:
F FloopCookiefix after you finished with Octopath 2, I high, HIGHLY recommend you to play Triangle Strategy.
H2x1_NSwitch_TriangleStrategy_image1280w.jpg
I think I actually tried the demo a long while ago haha

I kinda liked it, but I think at the time I was exhausted from Fire Emblem-like "Take 30 minutes stressing over one character movement" gameplay wheeze, I don't think I finished the first battle
I might need to give it another shot though

Gandih42

Finally got the whole team and getting started their Chapter 2s.

The improvements over the first game keep surprising me, despite the game superficially looking incredibly similar they've done so much more to differentiate the opening chapters. I particularly enjoyed the start of Temenos' story. My only real concern right now is getting over-leveled from exploring the maps and trivializing the story chapters. I'm really surprised that some reviewers mentioned that grinding was necessary, at least at the point where I'm at.

Did anyone else have issues getting OP too early? Although I'm also half tempted to just go all in and hustle my way to really strong equipment, busting the game wide open. I'd also like to compliment the game on that front, it seems to give you a lot of ways to creatively make yourself OP.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally got the whole team and getting started their Chapter 2s.

The improvements over the first game keep surprising me, despite the game superficially looking incredibly similar they've done so much more to differentiate the opening chapters. I particularly enjoyed the start of Temenos' story. My only real concern right now is getting over-leveled from exploring the maps and trivializing the story chapters. I'm really surprised that some reviewers mentioned that grinding was necessary, at least at the point where I'm at.

Did anyone else have issues getting OP too early? Although I'm also half tempted to just go all in and hustle my way to really strong equipment, busting the game wide open. I'd also like to compliment the game on that front, it seems to give you a lot of ways to creatively make yourself OP.
To me in Octopath series you never need to grind, your equipments have bigger impact in your battles more than your overall level.…(look at Exentryk’s post above).

I’m fan of original Octopath but 2nd improve the formula in every way, it’s soooo god damn good. The thing impressed me the most they stick with original Octopath concept, they could have took the easy way out and just make linear story just like any other RPG but instead they decided stick with their vision.

Some people may never be happy with games structure but it what makes Octopath, Octopath.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished Partitio and Osvald's main stories. On the last part of Agnea's (lame) story. Still have two more chapters to do with Temenos (been saving those, since he's my favorite so far) - then I'll be done with my main party.

Since the enemies in this game don't scale, I'm anticipating my B-team's playthroughs to be mostly cakewalks - this is how the first game was too. My A team is level 55-57 now, but some of these "final bosses" are damn hard.

Deerock71

Nabbed a used copy for forty bucks yesterday. Playing through the first character my initial pick ran across (not saying anything spoilery here). This game helps me love JRPGs and tolerate random encounters; the battle system's so fun, it makes the random encounters almost an amusing distraction.

I'm at 60ish hours and almost done with all characters' chapter 3 stories. Been having a blast with Partitio's secondary job class as a dancer. Equip the bp full power secondary skill and spam bewildering grace and boom! You can break the game.

Last edited:
just started the end game today for the final final boss. All my characters are 99 after extensive grinding at work and at home.

I’ve read about the final part of the game and the final boss and can’t wait to finish this game. Such a great game for me.

Easily a 9.5/10.

Labadal

I beat all main stories, crossed paths, side stories (that I found, still no trophy), defeated every optional boss (except secret super boss) that I found, visited every area that I could find (at 09%). Currently, I am exploring the extra stories stuff. Lovely game, with an incredible soundtrack, and exceptional graphics.

Gandih42

It says that anyone who posted in this thread owes me 1 million USD, or maybe it says that the game has sold 1 million units. Believe what you want.

Amazing, well deserved for a fantastic game. Just recently got the . Not sure if it is a spoiler but I didn't follow any marketing stuff and had no idea it was in the game. Been doing a few chapters every few weeks and just recently finished everyones Chapter 2. Very relieved to see that I'm not getting overleveled by just playing normally and have had some super fun and tough boss fights. Can't wait for the challenge to ramp up even more as I get into later chapters and side stuff.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished it. Very good game, but not enough changed from the first one.

If they are to make a 3 please change the classes and mix it up more. And please get rid of the random encounters. It's such a lazy design. Give the player the freedom to totally avoid encounters if they want to explore. That's really the only difference with enemies on map. It's more freedom to the player.

And they can F off with giving you an accessory that negates random encounters after you beat the final post game boss. Given that the game offers next to no replayability since there really is no benefit to a NG+ it's basically mocking you doing that. I think the first did the same thing, I can't remember.

I loved OT1, but I'm about to give up on this one because it's way too easy. I've finished all the first chapters and 3 of the second chapters and not only I haven't seen a character die in battle yet, I barely can remember a moment when I had to heal or replenish SP for my characters. Actually, I don't remember using the healer Themenos for anything other than attacking yet. I have almost 100 healing grapes in my inventory and only once I had to use an item to cure a status effect, which was blindness.

Enemies barely have an opportunity to attack because you can break their defenses quickly and leveling up is happening so often that they're almost always at 100% HP and SP.

Is the battle system this bad or should I expect some challenge for the next chapters? Is there anything in the next chapters that offers a good challenge, like the battles to get the secondary jobs in OT1? Huge disappointment so far.

Labadal

I loved OT1, but I'm about to give up on this one because it's way too easy. I've finished all the first chapters and 3 of the second chapters and not only I haven't seen a character die in battle yet, I barely can remember a moment when I had to heal or replenish SP for my characters. Actually, I don't remember using the healer Themenos for anything other than attacking yet. I have almost 100 healing grapes in my inventory and only once I had to use an item to cure a status effect, which was blindness.

Enemies barely have an opportunity to attack because you can break their defenses quickly and leveling up is happening so often that they're almost always at 100% HP and SP.

Is the battle system this bad or should I expect some challenge for the next chapters? Is there anything in the next chapters that offers a good challenge, like the battles to get the secondary jobs in OT1? Huge disappointment so far.
I felt the same way until the later chapters. Some bosses will give you a run for your money. The same goes for side bosses.

Secret boss is really fun, I liked it.
The final secret boss of OT1 was awesome too. Though it felt like an optional post-game challenge, because it forced you to grind and level up the whole party just for that battle.

I felt the same way until the later chapters. Some bosses will give you a run for your money. The same goes for side bosses.
That's a shame. I think I've seen enough. Already spent 8 hours on it and didn't have fun.

Rran

I had the exact same problem at the same point of the game. While the chapter 1s are understandably pretty easy tutorials, the chapter 2s are mostly all crazy easy as well (especially if you found the optional job class, which has an ability that just demolishes random battles for a while). The good news is that there's a turning point in a few hours where suddenly the difficulty is back and the battle system gets to shine again. In fact, there are some truly brutal encounters later in the game, including one that I still haven't conquered despite beating the first 100%.

Top Bottom