• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest 2 has sold 10 million units

Humdinger

Thats a huge reason its so successful. Its basically the switch of VR in terms of mobility and quick accessibility. I can travel and boot it up anytime/anywhere and quick resume my last game if i'm on vacation or whatever. But it can also run maxed out pc vr games.... wirelessly or wired. The headset actually has great resolution specs too even compared to high end headsets.
That's awesome to hear, thanks.

I didn't realize it had such a huge library. I thought it was limited. Yeah, no wonder it's such a success. At $300, too. That's a good price.

I ordered mine off amazon just a minute ago. It'll be here Thursday.

Last edited:

Romulus

That's awesome to hear, thanks.

I didn't realize it had such a huge library. I thought it was limited. Yeah, no wonder it's such a success. At $300, too. That's a good price.

I ordered mine off amazon just a minute ago. It'll be here Thursday.

Yeah theres a massive amount of shit to do. I'm still unpacking it all.
Just for example i see your avatar is Horizon Zero dawn. If you're into modding theres a VR mod for that. Its impressive.
What are your pc specs?

Humdinger

Yeah theres a massive amount of shit to do. I'm still unpacking it all.
Just for example i see your avatar is Horizon Zero dawn. If you're into modding theres a VR mod for that. Its impressive.
What are your pc specs?

Cool, I'll look for that. Here are my processor specs:

AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz

I have 8 gigs of RAM. It's an HP desktop from 6 or 7 years ago. It runs okay, although it's kind of sluggish at times.

Last edited:

Romulus

I have 8 gigs of RAM. It's an HP desktop from 6 or 7 years ago. It runs okay, although it's kind of sluggish at times.

I think thats going to struggle for most games. VR is pretty demanding and a 1060i 8gb ram is pretty much the bottom of the barrel for VR.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

For something like HL Alyx you'll want at least i5-7500/Ryzen 1600 CPU and GTX 1060 6GB/RX 580 8GB GPU. Unfortunately, your PC is way under spec. DF did a 'Min Spec' video for HL Alyx using i5 8400+GTX1060/RX580 and it actually looks acceptable-ish with the exception of cutscenes with lots of character models up close.

Good news is that Quest 2 is awesome on it's own since the games are optimized for the headset. When I first got my headset Xmas 2020 I had a handful of Quest 2 games and a shitload of SteamVR games because they are more affordable. Now I pretty much always buy Quest 2 versions because it's just way more convenient for social gaming with family and friends.

GHG

VR is far more demanding on your system than flat screen games are. That one is likely to struggle.

Unless you're willing to build/buy a new PC make sure you're satisfied with the lineup of the native games on the quest.

Notabueno

Banned

Unlike what most people say, VR is not more demanding than regular game, they're just optimised and "downgraded" to be able to run on similar configs.

What that means is that HL Alyx is optimised to run as if it was a flat game running on older specs to make up for the additional performance.

However it does mean that if you want to mod games that are already expensive to run, like Horizon, your config won't be able to follow because it does use significantly more performance than the game running on a flat screen.

Last edited:

Romulus

Unlike what most people say, VR is not more demanding than regular game, they're just optimised and "downgraded" to be able to run on similar configs.

What that means is that HL Alyx is optimised to run as if it was a flat game running on older specs to make up for the additional performance.

However it does mean that if you want to mod games that are already expensive to run, like Horizon, your config won't be able to follow because it does use significantly more performance than the game running on a flat screen.

I would argue it at least somewhat more demanding. You can run most VR high games with a 1060i 8gb acceptably low but you can dip below that for other non-VR high-end games just by dropping settings. VR you can only drop it so far because everything is tied to framerate being acceptable, whereas you can easily enjoy a 30fps on PC.

Last edited:

Billbofet

For something like HL Alyx you'll want at least i5-7500/Ryzen 1600 CPU and GTX 1060 6GB/RX 580 8GB GPU. Unfortunately, your PC is way under spec. DF did a 'Min Spec' video for HL Alyx using i5 8400+GTX1060/RX580 and it actually looks acceptable-ish with the exception of cutscenes with lots of character models up close.

Good news is that Quest 2 is awesome on it's own since the games are optimized for the headset. When I first got my headset Xmas 2020 I had a handful of Quest 2 games and a shitload of SteamVR games because they are more affordable. Now I pretty much always buy Quest 2 versions because it's just way more convenient for social gaming with family and friends.

Wondering if HL Alyx would run okay (low/medium) on my setup. I have a GTX 1050Ti, and I am not expecting miracles.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

I don't know shit about PC gaming......

GHG

It's more demanding, period.

It hits the CPU harder for a start because of all the positional tracking needing to be translated into the 3d space (both for the headset and the controllers) plus 2 views are being rendered rather than the one in flat screen mode.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Wondering if HL Alyx would run okay (low/medium) on my setup. I have a GTX 1050Ti, and I am not expecting miracles.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

I don't know shit about PC gaming......
This guy has a video that shows how 1050 Ti and RX 570 run on Low Settings. It's got some rough drops into the 30's. Even at 75% resolution it's averaging sub-60fps. He said on 1050 Ti to make sure to use teleport or you'll get sick from poor framerate.

I wouldn't call this playable, especially for $50-60. 72fps should be the minimum framerate target for smooth gameplay.

Billbofet

This guy has a video that shows how 1050 Ti and RX 570 run on Low Settings. It's got some rough drops into the 30's. Even at 75% resolution it's averaging sub-60fps. He said on 1050 Ti to make sure to use teleport or you'll get sick from poor framerate.

I wouldn't call this playable, especially for $50-60. 72fps should be the minimum framerate target for smooth gameplay.

Thanks! I have plenty to play, so I'll wait on this until I get a better card or PC. Appreciate the help on this!

Bragr

Banned
Did you know that Carmack used code from iD in Oculus and that Oculus had to pay Zenimax 500 million because of it?

Notabueno

Banned
It's more demanding, period.

It hits the CPU harder for a start because of all the positional tracking needing to be translated into the 3d space (both for the headset and the controllers) plus 2 views are being rendered rather than the one in flat screen mode.

Positional tracking is the least demanding aspect of VR, it's a set agnostic coordinates being tied to the in-game virtual camera (which btw to go back to the bullshit pretense that PSVR2 can't be backwards compatible, is the reason why almost all games running on Oculus CV1 which had an outside-in tracking system, run with no problem on the Rift S which had an inside-out tracking, or the same with Vive and Index).

However the 2 view rendering, post-processing (with upscaling, super-sampling, asynchronous warp etc...) and most importantly the fact that both have to be rendered at 60 to 90fps minimum (depending on platform) is what's much more demanding, it's all about the frame-rate.

Buggy Loop

Did you know that Carmack used code from iD in Oculus and that Oculus had to pay Zenimax 500 million because of it?

?

Judge had cut it in half before settlement and now apparently Zenimax and oculus settled an undisclosed sum, pending review.

Whole premise of going against Carmack for similar code but written differently as copyright infringement is not the way to go forward for this industry. Fuck Zenimax.

Humdinger

I think thats going to struggle for most games. VR is pretty demanding and a 1060i 8gb ram is pretty much the bottom of the barrel for VR.

Hm. Ok, maybe I should rethink. Oculus 2 seemed like a standalone unit at first, but I'm beginning to see how dependent it is on a good PC. If I'm understanding correctly, there are some games designed to run solo on the Oculus 2, but the majority require you be plugged into a a capable PC. I should probably wait until I upgrade my PC, then, before jumping into VR. Maybe in a year or two...

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The oculus is a fully featured stand alone product. If you never connect it to a PC I don't think you will feel like it was a wasted $300 bones (well, $400 plus once you add in the elite strap, battery, etc).

It's like saying the switch should be dependent on a pc for good games.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Oculus 2 seemed like a standalone unit at first, but I'm beginning to see how dependent it is on a good PC.
Nah man, this is absolutely not true. Quest 2 brings a lot to the table for $299. You can use it standalone and have a great experience. In fact, I started off buying mostly PCVR titles and a handful of Quest 2 games when I got it back in 2020. Now I'm almost exclusively buying Quest 2 games for the immediacy of play and convenience when playing with family and friends.

Of course, it all depends on what type of games you'll be playing. I'm mostly into arcade/social/party gaming. I bring the headset to get-togethers and we get lit and everybody takes a turn playing stuff like Eleven Table Tennis, Fruit Ninja, Gun Club, Job Simulator, etc while casting so everybody can watch. If you're looking for more immersive long-play games like FS2020, Alyx, Asgard's Wrath, sure you'll need a decent PC. In addition to arcade-y titles, Quest 2 will still have you covered with stuff like RE4VR, Blade and Sorcery: Nomad, Demeo, Zero Caliber: Reloaded, Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall, and at some point in the next year or 2 GTA San Andreas VR.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nah man, this is absolutely not true. Quest 2 brings a lot to the table for $299. You can use it standalone and have a great experience. In fact, I started off buying mostly PCVR titles and a handful of Quest 2 games when I got it back in 2020. Now I'm almost exclusively buying Quest 2 games for the immediacy of play and convenience when playing with family and friends.

Of course, it all depends on what type of games you'll be playing. I'm mostly into social/party gaming. I bring the headset to get-togethers and we get lit and everybody takes a turn playing stuff like Eleven Table Tennis, Fruit Ninja, Gun Club, Job Simulator, etc while casting so everybody can watch. If you're looking for more immersive long-play games like FS2020, Alyx, Asgard's Wrath, sure you'll need a decent PC. In addition to arcade-y titles, Quest 2 will still have you covered with stuff like RE4VR, Blade and Sorcery: Nomad, Demeo, Zero Caliber: Reloaded, Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall, and at some point in the next year or 2 GTA San Andreas VR.
And some unknown Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell VR thing.

Reallink

I need them to announce a quest 3 asap!

Any hints yet?

Bloomberg demoed it and suggest it's only a minor upgrade to Q2 in hardware (displays, lenses), but with much better passthrough and SoC. Seems AR is the primary hardware focus.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Bloomberg demoed it and suggest it's only a minor upgrade to Q2 in hardware (displays, lenses), but with much better passthrough and SoC. Seems AR is the primary hardware focus.

Read it, and I don’t get the ‘minor upgrade’ comments you’ve gone with.

Sure, not dramatically better optics, but it’s smaller, lighter, and pass through and SoC are hardware, not software.

Seems like a very significant upgrade

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Whaaaat. So its not a big power jump?

Wtffffff

Last edited:

Reallink

Whaaaat. So its not a big power jump?

Wtffffff

The SoC is much better, however the displays and lenses reportedly are not much different from Q2. To quote, "The actual clarity and resolution feel similar to Q2...despite rumors of slightly higher resolution displays."

Last edited:
Top Bottom