• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CTO Shoots Down Face Tracking For Non-Pro Headsets Like Quest 3

https://uploadvr.com/meta-facial-tracking-quest-pro-quest-3/
Meta CTO Andrew Bosworth said that the facial expression tracking technology in Quest Pro is still years away from making it into the more affordable line of Meta’s VR headsets.

The Quest Pro launched late last year for $1500, featuring technology that can track the user’s eyes and facial expressions for use in VR. Quest Pro is the first in a new line of more expensive, high-end headsets from Meta, available alongside Quest 2, the current generation of Meta’s more affordable VR product line.

In a recent Instagram AMA, a user asked Bosworth how long until we see facial expression technology in a “non business VR headset.”

Bosworth noted that Quest Pro isn’t strictly a business headset – it’s marketed as a productivity and remote work-capable device and is available to consumers as well – but nonetheless stated that Meta wants the facial expression tracking to become “more affordable for more people.”
However, Bosworth then stated that the extra cameras for that tracking are expensive, as is the processing power they require. This means that Meta executives “don’t see a path to getting that in [more affordable headsets] in the next year, two years, three years honestly.”

Meta is expected to launch Quest 3 later this year, the next generation of its affordable consumers VR product line.

Previously, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg indicated that face and eye tracking would be “a big focus” for the Quest 2’s successor. However, apparent leaked schematics last year appeared to show a Quest 3 headset without capability for face or eye tracking. Given Bosworth’s recent comments, it’s looking increasingly likely that Quest 3 – and potentially even its successor – won’t include the cameras needed for full face and eye tracking.

Zuck contradicted by his own company experts yet again.

However, this does mean that the Quest 3 will be more affordable than people were previously debating, likely under $450 if there isn't any eye or face tracking. Based on the minimal expected specs, which could be higher, it's still going to be a big leap over the Quest 2 in specs, features, and build-quality, although I think the 20 million shipped days are over since the novelty is gone. But Quest 3's price should still bring in a good number of people wanting VR without the premium, especially if there's BC/carry over.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The facial expression tracking is basically useless to a gamer anyway, the eye tracking could be used to reduce the gpu power needed to produce the images and maybe to allow automated lens adjustments to reduce strain, so, a bit more of a bummer for the VR crowd that they aren't moving forward with those at this point.

Last edited:
The facial expression tracking is basically useless to a gamer anyway, the eye tracking could be used to reduce the gpu power needed to produce the images and maybe to allow automated lens adjustments to reduce strain, so, a bit more of a bummer for the VR crowd that they aren't moving forward with those at this point.

Wasn't there a horror game that used the facial tracking to tell if you were scared, then you're view with fog up and your health would slowly drain until you relaxed?

Might have been a demo instead of a game.

baphomet

Facial tracking I couldn't care less about, but without at the very least eye tracking, it'll be a completely pointless upgrade for most people.

With the "pro" update being over $1,000 more for essentially a Quest 2 with some better lenses, I imagine the Quest 3 will literally just be a Quest 2 with the most minusculy more powerful soc.

midnightAI

Good. I have no interest in face tracking.

It's debatable how much eye tracking actually helps, anyway.
Facial tracking and eye tracking are two different things (and it's already been mentioned that eye tracking is VERY useful for a few reasons)

Wasn't there a horror game that used the facial tracking to tell if you were scared, then you're view with fog up and your health would slowly drain until you relaxed?

Might have been a demo instead of a game.

Now why on earth would obscuring my view and draining my health make me calm? These ideas for VR horror games are.........horrifying.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Good. I have no interest in face tracking.

It's debatable how much eye tracking actually helps, anyway.

So a few hours later a 3rd party dev explains what it was like to add ETFR to their game and how much it helped.

*TIMESTAMPED*

Last edited:
So what’ll be new? Higher resolution?

We don't know yet, Zuck and pals like to hype up stuff with vague information and then say nothing when asked for specs. it's going to be a surprise as usual.

Resolution and build-quality will be mandatory, and it's going to have color-passthrough and rumored to have pancakes.

Now why on earth would obscuring my view and draining my health make me calm? These ideas for VR horror games are.........horrifying.

Lol.

midnightAI

Eye tracking is a niche within a niche.
Yes, only PSVR 2 will have it for general public for a decent price (for now), pretty cool, right?

If it's so cut and dried, why has it taken so long to implement? Why is it so costly?

Because most VR companies are chasing low end cheap VR? Because it uses pretty sophisticated tech to track the eyes?

Yeh, but Sony have it working flawlessly (well, thats to be seen but all hands on suggest so), just because Meta hasnt cracked it yet doesnt mean others havent, Tobii have been working on this for years

If someone wants eye tracking, you have (limited) options. But just keep responding with ad-hominem attacks, I guess.

Yes, they can buy PSVR 2 (thought I already answered this :messenger_beaming: )

(On a side note, why the hell Meta feel they have to do their own eye tracking in Quest Pro instead of using Tobii's tech baffles me. Apparently the tracking in Quest Pro is running at 30hz so no wonder it doesnt work as well as they'd like)

Last edited:

Fredrik

Hopefully just higher processing power, slightly better screens and cameras. They don't have to reinvent the wheel. Would be ideal to keep all quest 2 games BC compatible as well.
They could push the platform forward techwise and still keep it backwards compatible - eye-tracking and foveated rendering would’ve been perfect.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They could push the platform forward techwise and still keep it backwards compatible - eye-tracking and foveated rendering would’ve been perfect.
They could. But I'd argue that hitting a cheap price point consistently while being pretty solid pushed it forward in its own way

A.Romero

Not interested in face tracking at all but eye tracking is a must. Not getting any headset that doesn't feature it.

In the meantime I'll continue to use my Oculus Rift (while it lasts, fucking early obsolesence).

I doubt it’ll be much cheaper than PSVR2 considering they raised the price on Quest 2.

If they cut corners like this and use better manufacturing and cut some costs elsewhere they could probably sell it $50 more than the Quest is now if not the same price. Quest 2 was already pricy when it launched and Zuck took the loss lead approach with it. It's been two years since that hardware, so it could be that it'll still be decently cheap.

I don't see him making Quest 3 $500 with any realistic justification unless he bundles the thing incompetently.

Wait... huh maybe it will cost $500.

Top Bottom