• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official, Crunchyroll joins Funimation (Sony)

kyoji

Today we can share that Crunchyroll and Funimation have become one company!​

David-Christopher
August 09, 2021 3:16pm CDT (20 minutes ago)

55b51dc7b4ed0cc735df3dab1724fbf71628538966_large.png

2e76526192a0bb876bff22dc73f245c31628538797_main.png

Today we can share that Crunchyroll and Funimation have become one company! You can find more official information in the press release.

The two brands you know and love will be working together, and we believe this is a great thing for fans and the industry, alike! Both teams are knowledgeable, passionate, and have been committed to the anime community for decades. We couldn’t ask for better partners.

We know you may have questions! Today we begin the work of bringing two awesome teams together to bring you more of what you love. Thank you for your trust and support!

Fbh

Can we expect Crunchyroll on PS+?

Because that would be dope.

Considering Ps+ didn't include any funimation content (which they already owned), I wouldn't expect much.
At most maybe some "Ps+ extra" subscription or something like that that's slightly cheaper than subscribing to both services separately.

What exactly does owning crunchy roll add to sony if they already have funimation? Serious question.

They had some of the weeb market. Now they have most of the weeb market.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Today we can share that Crunchyroll and Funimation have become one company!​

David-Christopher
August 09, 2021 3:16pm CDT (20 minutes ago)

55b51dc7b4ed0cc735df3dab1724fbf71628538966_large.png

2e76526192a0bb876bff22dc73f245c31628538797_main.png

Today we can share that Crunchyroll and Funimation have become one company! You can find more official information in the press release.

The two brands you know and love will be working together, and we believe this is a great thing for fans and the industry, alike! Both teams are knowledgeable, passionate, and have been committed to the anime community for decades. We couldn’t ask for better partners.

We know you may have questions! Today we begin the work of bringing two awesome teams together to bring you more of what you love. Thank you for your trust and support!

Abc Yes GIF by The Bachelorette

Congrats to my Sonybros.

Dabaus

Banned
Considering Ps+ didn't include any funimation content (which they already owned), I wouldn't expect much.
At most maybe some "Ps+ extra" subscription or something like that that's slightly cheaper than subscribing to both services separately.

They had some of the weeb market. Not they have most of the weeb market.

More Anime, more subscribers
Okay what i mean is, like is certain anime exclusive to funimation and other anime exclusive to crunchy roll so sony is combining the 2?

Yoboman

Okay what i mean is, like is certain anime exclusive to funimation and other anime exclusive to crunchy roll so sony is combining the 2?
Yeah I think so.

But I think Crunchyroll is the biggest streaming service for Anime and Funimation is more of a dubbing company who more recently started streaming services but own the rights to many big Anime localisation

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
They teamed up years ago to fight against Amazon and Netflix till Sony broke it up…

having one sub will be nice again

Last edited:

Yoboman

This is great.
If they own crunchy roll, this means new ip games, like spiderman.

Imagine Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba being exclusive to ps5.
Sony already owned Demon Slayer but seem to have sold the game rights to Sega

More evidence of their cross department incompetence, and why Sony Japan Studios needed to be scrapped if they couldn't even make a game with their own successful IP

Dabaus

Banned
Yeah I think so.

But I think Crunchyroll is the biggest streaming service for Anime and Funimation is more of a dubbing company who more recently started streaming services but own the rights to many big Anime localisation
I see, so funimation did the translations and crunchy roll is the distribution rights? Something like that? Does sony own any animation studios?

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is great.
If they own crunchy roll, this means new ip games, like spiderman.

Imagine Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba being exclusive to ps5.
Wow… imagine.

These are game potential for sony, since crunchy roll owns these ip. It strengths their japanese market, and western people who love anime.
OK? So not games yet? No offence, but you’re a full blown crack head if you think PlayStation are going to task one of their studios with developing a Tower of God video game, or that anyone would give a fuck about that IP if they did.

kingfey

Banned
Sony already owned Demon Slayer but seem to have sold the game rights to Sega

More evidence of their cross department incompetence, and why Sony Japan Studios needed to be scrapped if they couldn't even make a game with their own successful IP

This is what happens, when you own alot of stuff. You start suing yourself,

yeah cool but where the hell is this sony "summer showcase"? i dont want no shitty state of play. are they gonna be at gamescom or what? what the hell are sony doing? who gives a shit about crunchyroll?

Last edited:

ksdixon

So are they going to duplicate the content across both sites, bring sub prices in-line with each other (if they're different), or have one new site emerge with all the content?

kingfey

Banned
Wow… imagine.

OK? So not games yet? No offence, but you’re a full blown crack head if you think PlayStation are going to task one of their studios with developing a Tower of God video game, or that anyone would give a fuck about that IP if they did.
HAHAHHAHAH
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF
Jennifer Lawrence Lol GIF
Donald Duck Lol GIF
Love And Hip Hop Hollywood Lol GIF by VH1

Can you believe this dude? Seriously? Tower of god? Are you saying no one gives F about it? Man, that is the best crack joke I ever heard.

That game would sell bangers. That IP is very big in south korea and west. That game is printing money. Same for god of high school. If they get the gaming rights for that IP.

Yoboman

Reading a bit on the ownership of Anime and Games from manga, it looks like copyrights are always held in co ownership with the original manga author

I actually doubt Anime studios have any right to sell the property to game studios. Its more likely the game publishers have to pitch to the original manga author

kingfey

Banned
Reading a bit on the ownership of Anime and Games from manga, it looks like copyrights are always held in co ownership with the original manga author

I actually doubt Anime studios have any right to sell the property to game studios. Its more likely the game publishers have to pitch to the original manga author
The author is the one who is making the story. Its why we cant get different settings for dragon ball, and one piece games. Different story will conflict with the manga. And with one piece doing like 30 chapters a year, its hard to get a proper story game, without waiting 4-6 years in between.

Fbh

yeah crunchyroll has a larger library so there's a lot of shows which aren't available on funimation.
Also if I'm not mistaken Crunchy roll focuses exclusively on subs while Funimation is more about dubs.

Yoboman

The author is the one who is making the story. Its why we cant get different settings for dragon ball, and one piece games. Different story will conflict with the manga. And with one piece doing like 30 chapters a year, its hard to get a proper story game, without waiting 4-6 years in between.
Im talking about the copyright ownership, not writing the story...

Top Bottom