• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official, Crunchyroll joins Funimation (Sony)

SSfox

yeah cool but where the hell is this sony "summer showcase"? i dont want no shitty state of play. are they gonna be at gamescom or what? what the hell are sony doing? who gives a shit about crunchyroll?
steve-carell-thankyou.gif

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I certainly hope Crunchyroll doesn't get influenced by Funimation's awful localization idiosyncrasies. Hopefully, Muv-Luv Alternative won't be affected. 🤔

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I wouldnt be shocked at all if sony made a move to acquire kadakowa in the near future. They cover alot of bases as far as anime,manga, and gaming goes without being outrageously expensive.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Meh. I love gaming. Plus I dont want to lose my freedom for gaming.

My plan is finish this useless college, get a big job, with 10k monthly, and get a house. That is when I will marry. Right now, I will be in a debt if i get married now.
I just meant get laid.

kingfey

Banned
Im talking about the copyright ownership, not writing the story...
That is the reason why there is co-ownership. The author is the one who has the story. Even if they buy the full rights, they cant do anything that much, since that would jeopardize the franchise coherent story.

Banjo64

cumsessed
My religion prevents me from doing that. I have to get married to do it.
Fair play to you.

Going back, obviously I was being flippant, what I really mean is that I personally doubt that any of the anime IP would have widespread mainstream appeal. In my opinion they’d all sell similarly to Japan Studios games, I could be wrong on that though. That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t hypothetically be quality games though, and the people who love the anime would obviously love the games too.

Yoboman

That is the reason why there is co-ownership. The author is the one who has the story. Even if they buy the full rights, they cant do anything that much, since that would jeopardize the franchise coherent story.
Pretty irrelevantly? My point is that a lot of people are saying Sony can now make the games of all these Anime when it appears like it is probably the manga author who gets to decide who makes the game for the most part

Mr Moose

Yes, makes it much easier to avoid that anime shit.
golden-boy-yakuza.gif

Fair play to you.

Going back, obviously I was being flippant, what I really mean is that I personally doubt that any of the anime IP would have widespread mainstream appeal. In my opinion they’d all sell similarly to Japan Studios games, I could be wrong on that though. That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t hypothetically be quality games though, and the people who love the anime would obviously love the games too.

kingfey

Banned
Fair play to you.

The anime is big. very big actually, to the point Sony bought this studio, and funanimation.

Just like there is a market for rpg games, there is a market for anime games. It just depends on which studio makes a good anime game.

Most of jrpg games are anime. Just like how spiderman/batman is a comic character, despite having games. Good hands bring out great games.

You could treat it as persona game, if the studio is good.

BreakOut

This doesn't exactly strike me as good news.
Isn’t it 2 different subscription fees right now? Should be cheaper. That’s great news since every service seems to be making their own and I can’t even keep what shows on what service together anymore.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Meh. I love gaming. Plus I dont want to lose my freedom for gaming.

My plan is finish this useless college, get a big job, with 10k monthly, and get a house. That is when I will marry. Right now, I will be in a debt if i get married now.

I think marriage is much important, it didn't stop me from goofing around gaf or gaming. Just go to the beach and sit with yourself and see what plans are more realistic and go ahead. It can be noisy with kids and so, but nothing worse than a lonely bed in a sad night.

In any case, hope you the very best.

[Sigma]

Eh whatever. As far as things like anime games with the whole ip stuff, non of has anything to do with SIE, they're under Aniplex and others who is under Sony Music Japan. So things like games will be on whatever platform, likely as many as they want. Also means deals like the gamepass post.
I wonder if the same people complaining about MS and gaming monopoly, will complain now :messenger_tears_of_joy: Of course they won't.

Well, Sony is technically 4 independent companies
Yep.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Will make it all the more hilarious when Sony keeps missing the chance to do videogame adaptations, be it anime or movies. Run by monkeys.

kingfey

Banned
I think marriage is much important, it didn't stop me from goofing around gaf or gaming. Just go to the beach and sit with yourself and see what plans are more realistic and go ahead. It can be noisy with kids and so, but nothing worse than a lonely bed in a sad night.

Thank you.

My only problem is how can I take care of them. Raising kids is a huge responsibility. I learned this, while taking care of my little sister baby. I had to take him to daycare early, picking him up from after finishing my college classes. Restless nights. It was just too much for a college boy, who was working on weekend.

Right now, my job is highest priority. Once I get stable job, it brings comfort from spending wise, and being able to take care of them. 16$ currently is hardly enough for myself.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thank you.

My only problem is how can I take care of them. Raising kids is a huge responsibility. I learned this, while taking care of my little sister baby. I had to take him to daycare early, picking him up from after finishing my college classes. Restless nights. It was just too much for a college boy, who was working on weekend.

Right now, my job is highest priority. Once I get stable job, it brings comfort from spending wise, and being able to take care of them. 16$ currently is hardly enough for myself.

I agree with you, get a stable job first! You seem like a good person and deserve a good life. :messenger_relieved: :lollipop_raising_hand:

squarealex

Can we expect Crunchyroll on PS+?

Because that would be dope.
I hope so, but I hope they add "ADN" and "Wakanim", it's a parent of Crunchyroll too in France. But each company have this own subscription... this is so dumb...

ACESHIGH

Banned
Just subbed to get 3 months of gamepass and browsed through the anime selection... not a huge anime fan but seems its trash for the most part right? Everything is modern anime with that hideous art style. I much rather watch anime from the 80's and 90s. Not much from that era other than Gundam, Cowboy Bebop and a few others it seems. I remember when I watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Rose of Versailles there a long time ago. Massive drop in quality these days it seems.

EDMIX

I'm trying to figure out if they are going to call them CrunchyFun or FunRoll....

also....damn Sony fucking hates Japan /s

Raonak

Banned

there are tons of things worse than a loney bed in a sad night.

such as sharing a bed with your spouse, but still feeling loney because you aren't truly in love with them,
but decided to get married because of societal pressures and are now stuck in a hopeless situation with a family, as all your dreams, ambitions and freedom turned to dust.

Dabaus

Banned
Good news, now buy some serious gaming studios....

Not support or port ones.
I say go big or go home, kadakowa and sqaure enix. Blue point and whatever that fighting game studio they were rumored to buy( arc system works?) That would “Nintendofi” PlayStation essentially. That is to say you’d have enough bg ips under your belt that you can basically do what you want.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I say go big or go home, kadakowa and sqaure enix. Blue point and whatever that fighting game studio they were rumored to buy( arc system works?) That would “Nintendofi” PlayStation essentially. That is to say you’d have enough bg ips under your belt that you can basically do what you want.
They should buy atlus from sega. If MS buys Sega, they will lose persona.

kingfey

Banned
Good news, now buy some serious gaming studios....

Not support or port ones.
What studio aside of atlus fits Sony?

Square is a loose canon. Capcom almost lost itself. Sega is too sleepy.

They need small studios with track record of good IP. Small money, but talented studios. You will get deals like Insomniac.

There is larian for rpg, crytec for fps games, even cdpr for excellent rpg games. They can clean the house. Remedy is a good studio too. They can snag of bungie.

There is tons of talents rotting around the world, which needs enough funding to make a masterpiece games.

b6a6es

Banned
I wonder if the same people complaining about MS and gaming monopoly, will complain now :messenger_tears_of_joy: Of course they won't.

Well, Sony is technically 4 independent companies
At the very least MS’s potential monopoly is beneficial to their users, meanwhile MLB is free on GP while we have to cough 70$ for it

Sony essentialy took MS money while benefiting from us PS users as Pay Pigs 😂, and yeah you’ll never see an anime IP as PS exclusive ever as Demon Slayer not only became Multiplat, but also aren’t published by SIE but rather Sega (and never to mention Sony Music Japan is literally making Switch Exclusive games in japan, at a time when PS desperately needed a big hit to regain marketshare there)

and with this whole move towards PC and their new (Multiplat strategy) makes you question, whether Sony Group CEO wants their gaming business to become third party instead of continuing of being a Platform/Ecosystem like Nintendo or MS

I honestly don’t blame Jim Ryan one bit as he’s pretty much got caught on this, and I believe Shawn Layden left because of Sony’s new CEO’s direction rather than Jim Ryan’s

Last edited:
Top Bottom