• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official, Crunchyroll joins Funimation (Sony)

kingfey

Banned
and with this whole move towards PC and their new (Multiplat strategy) makes you question, whether Sony Group CEO wants their gaming business to become third party instead of continuing of being a Platform/Ecosystem like Nintendo or
That is not Sony CEO decision. That is SIE boss decision. Sony ceo is Kenichiro Yoshida. SIE boss is Jim Ryan.

SiE is Sony interactive entertainment, which Playstation belongs to. While Sony is the parent company.

Like how Satya nadelle is the ceo of MS, while Phil Spencer is the head of xbox.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
this is some high level basement dwelling, fedora loving, not showering for weeks, virgin weeb post.

on topic: are there any immediate benefits to my premium crunchyroll sub?
Doesn’t look like it as of now.

FStubbs

Competition is good, but basically one huge anime company isn't really a good thing IMO. I guess we'll see Crunchyroll fold up shop over the next year.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
there are tons of things worse than a loney bed in a sad night.

such as sharing a bed with your spouse, but still feeling loney because you aren't truly in love with them,
but decided to get married because of societal pressures and are now stuck in a hopeless situation with a family, as all your dreams, ambitions and freedom turned to dust.

Yeah I'd rather masturbate than being in that situation. Hope you guys the best in that regard.:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Sony not playing. MS doing deals with companies and Sony just goes and buys them 😉
This deal is been going for long. The US department of Justice was blocking it.

Plus this is not a gaming related business. It benefits Sony, by getting new users. So its win win for both.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i'm not sure if anyone answered you but yes, Funimation has the rights to Demon Slayer and the movie is exclusively on Funimation.

You can watch the show on both though.

Is it really that good? Might give it a shot. But I need to use a proxy as Funimation isn't available here. Crunchyroll on the other hand is available without a proxy.

Kerotan

This deal is been going for long. The US department of Justice was blocking it.

Plus this is not a gaming related business. It benefits Sony, by getting new users. So its win win for both.
I was just joking referencing the buyout of Bethesda after Sony did two exclusive deals with them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's pretty funny situation in Sony: Sony Music + Sony Pictures own Funimation, Sony Pictures bought Crunchyroll. So, where are they going from here?

Sony Pictures Entertainment has closed its $1.175 billion acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T, adding to the list of entertainment assets recently shed by the telecom giant.

The company will be combined with Sony’s Funimation, creating a powerhouse in anime. Funimation is a joint venture between SPE and Sony Music Entertainment’s Aniplex Inc.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I say go big or go home, kadakowa and sqaure enix. Blue point and whatever that fighting game studio they were rumored to buy( arc system works?) That would “Nintendofi” PlayStation essentially. That is to say you’d have enough bg ips under your belt that you can basically do what you want.

Yes, Square would be the big one. Integrate the publishing operations.... allow them to publish some games on Switch and PC. Invest in a FFXIV successor.
Have smaller games drop day 1 on PSPlus and the bigger ones are treated like PS first party.
Bring back Soul Reaver / Legacy of Kain.

For Kadokawa, I would say just increase the investment from 2% up to maybe 51% or enough to get someone on the board....they are already highly dependent on Sony for distribution of their anime and then quite reliant on them in gaming. That would just solidify.

If they have Metal Gear and support from the remaining japanese companies, it's all good then.

I think Haven could be their answer to Ubisoft turning to shit and could eventually become part of PS and they are looking for their shooter studio too with Deviation / Firewalk and all of that going on...

So they could be completely self reliant apart from sports games.... with EA and TT. along with R* games and a few Capcom titles that would be pretty essential.

But Square is the essential one. Their games are very connected with PlayStation.

b6a6es

Banned
That is not Sony CEO decision. That is SIE boss decision. Sony ceo is Kenichiro Yoshida. SIE boss is Jim Ryan.

SiE is Sony interactive entertainment, which Playstation belongs to. While Sony is the parent company.

Like how Satya nadelle is the ceo of MS, while Phil Spencer is the head of xbox.

MS previous CEO steve ballmer was willing to sack the entire Xbox division back in late 2013 due to Xbox one’s disastrous launch and how much of a money sink it was for years, Phil Spencer was Vice President of that divison since late 2000’s and was fully present with Xbox one’s launch & Vision

It wasn’t until mid 2014 when MS’s new CEO Satya Nadella took office is when changes started happening, as Satya nadella was the man behind MS’s push towards cloud & online services (Microsoft Azure) which is why they spent 2B+ on Mojang despite Minecraft being fully Multiplatform, which was used as a trojan horse to build Xbox Live/ cloud infrastructure inside Competitors ecosystems (which leads to Xcloud/Gamepass potentially coming to Switch/PS5 in the future), Satya Nadella has the final say on Xbox’s recent studio acquisitions to build that service, and to potentially expand such service to billions of peoples via Gamepass/Xcloud, Aka Microsoft Azure

hence why the recent comment by Satya Nadella that they’ll all in on gaming/xcloud

kretos

Banned
god of high school

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Bryank75

Banned
What studio aside of atlus fits Sony?

Square is a loose canon. Capcom almost lost itself. Sega is too sleepy.

They need small studios with track record of good IP. Small money, but talented studios. You will get deals like Insomniac.

There is larian for rpg, crytec for fps games, even cdpr for excellent rpg games. They can clean the house. Remedy is a good studio too. They can snag of bungie.

There is tons of talents rotting around the world, which needs enough funding to make a masterpiece games.

Two approaches I see.....

Buy Square, integrate publishing and focus development around PlayStation with a few titles still going to Switch and PC. Get a FFXIV successor in the works. The IP's are very valuable and it links into their anime and film businesses.

or

Buy several smaller studio... Bungie would be fantastic but doubt they'd sell. They really are top of their niche. Arc System Works, IOI and Remedy and possibly Larian.
I would really love if Kojima was a part of 1st party too even though without him it wouldn't really be much of an asset, so it outs a shelf life on it.

kretos

Banned
That is a potential fighting game for sony. And since they own Evolution Championship Series, Its a good game to advertise it.

i don't know what this is i just thought the name is funny i would be embarrassed to say this name in public lol

kingfey

Banned
Two approaches I see.....

Buy Square, integrate publishing and focus development around PlayStation with a few titles still going to Switch and PC. Get a FFXIV successor in the works. The IP's are very valuable and it links into their anime and film businesses.

or

Buy several smaller studio... Bungie would be fantastic but doubt they'd sell. They really are top of their niche. Arc System Works, IOI and Remedy and possibly Larian.
I would really love if Kojima was a part of 1st party too even though without him it wouldn't really be much of an asset, so it outs a shelf life on it.
No. Kojima is a worst buy. The reason why he a fallout with konami was his spending habits. Same reason why Sony is hesitant to do another deal with him. He has a great talent. But spends too much on it. Its a net loss for who ever owns him. Even if he makes a great game.

You point 1 is good. But it would be worthless, due to how close relationship they have. 2nd option is better. Less money spent, would yield them more studio. Best example is their recent buyout. They got returnal in the process. Those kind of deals are good for long term.

kingfey

Banned
i don't know what this is i just thought the name is funny i would be embarrassed to say this name in public lol
South korea and Japan has this weird naming style. Golden boy, One piece, tower of god. Too much hilarious names.

As of now, there are great anime/manhwa in these 2 countries, which you can make a successful IP, like Final fantasy, dragon quest, persona.

Crownjo

We’re beyond excited that today Funimation and Crunchyroll have become one company. What this means is two anime-obsessed teams will come together to bring you even more of what you love, where you want it, when you want it. It’s a big win for creators, and especially, for fans! Yay for anime!

Our first priority is you, the millions of fans who form the global community that is anime. And now we have the opportunity to create a unified anime subscription experience that puts fans first, offering the most comprehensive lineup ever. There’s lots to do, so the work begins today to make it happen!

We know you have a lot of questions! For now it is anime-as-usual on both services, and the second we have an update you will be the first to know.

kingfey

Banned
It's pretty funny situation in Sony: Sony Music + Sony Pictures own Funimation, Sony Pictures bought Crunchyroll. So, where are they going from here?

Sony Pictures Entertainment has closed its $1.175 billion acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T, adding to the list of entertainment assets recently shed by the telecom giant.

The company will be combined with Sony’s Funimation, creating a powerhouse in anime. Funimation is a joint venture between SPE and Sony Music Entertainment’s Aniplex Inc.

Entertainment. Sony needs to build its other division. SIE isnt their only division to run. Those other division has Microsoft level of competition. They are facing of against amazon, Samsung, and apple, Disney. They need to broad their business, and gain as much power as they can. These companies have more money than Sony.

LMJ

Just please use that Sony funding to get more adaptations and translations and less of whatever the hell that CR Original was supposed to be lol

Honestly hopefully part of the deal was firing the deadweight dipsticks at CR and hiring better

EDMIX

What studio aside of atlus fits Sony?

Square is a loose canon. Capcom almost lost itself. Sega is too sleepy.

They need small studios with track record of good IP. Small money, but talented studios. You will get deals like Insomniac.

There is larian for rpg, crytec for fps games, even cdpr for excellent rpg games. They can clean the house. Remedy is a good studio too. They can snag of bungie.

There is tons of talents rotting around the world, which needs enough funding to make a masterpiece games.

Funny enough, a lot of that is reason to buy them.

Square a loose canon? Then Sony buying them could do some good lol

Sega is just fine, those are all fine publishers to buy and hold lots of great IP and imho very safe bets.

Back again where I started with VRV when crunchyroll and funimation were in the same package deal.
Now get rid of the funimation apps and website please and replace it with something new shiny and usable.

Bryank75

Banned
No. Kojima is a worst buy. The reason why he a fallout with konami was his spending habits. Same reason why Sony is hesitant to do another deal with him. He has a great talent. But spends too much on it. Its a net loss for who ever owns him. Even if he makes a great game.

You point 1 is good. But it would be worthless, due to how close relationship they have. 2nd option is better. Less money spent, would yield them more studio. Best example is their recent buyout. They got returnal in the process. Those kind of deals are good for long term.
What would you like to see them go for... sudios specifically and why?

Bryank75

Banned

Sega is just fine, those are all fine publishers to buy and hold lots of great IP and imho very safe bets.
I think so too... Sony would just make them focus and cut the fat.

kingfey

Banned

Its still not worth the money. Square Enix Holdings net worth as of August 04, 2021 is $6.53B. Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd. engages in the provision of entertainment contents and services. That is how much square worth.

SEGA is part of the Sega Sammy Holdings after merging with the Sammy Corporation in 2004. The corporation has total assets of $4.42 billion as of 2020, with a majority of its revenue coming from the arcade and video games.Aug 6, 2020

Capcom net worth as of August 06, 2021 is $5.81B.

While Sony can buy them, due to their cash on hand $44b, you also have to remember other division. So sony cant go a head and recklessly buy these studios, just so SIE can have them.

Here are list of Sony division

Smaller studios makes sense in this case.

Like this case

These are the games they worked on

They also own 4a games, which embracers owns it now.

That is what little money spending can give you. Talent.

kingfey

Banned
What would you like to see them go for... sudios specifically and why?
I would like them to buy crytek. That studio is the one sony needs the most right now, due to their knowledge with fps games, like crysis.

They can also develop exclusive games for PSVR.

They can also buy larian, for rpg games. All of their games are high class rpg games.

With enough money, they can make a witcher3 like rpg game, like how obsidian is doing with avowed, which is based on pillars of eternity.

These type of studios, are what makes them much more sense.

Look at returnal. Small studio managed to deliver that game. What do you think these studio will achieve, if you give them the resources ND and Insomniac has?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I would like them to buy crytek. That studio is the one sony needs the most right now, due to their knowledge with fps games, like crysis.

They can also develop exclusive games for PSVR.

They can also buy larian, for rpg games. All of their games are high class rpg games.

With enough money, they can make a witcher3 like rpg game, like how obsidian is doing with avowed, which is based on pillars of eternity.

These type of studios, are what makes them much more sense.

Look at returnal. Small studio managed to deliver that game. What do you think these studio will achieve, if you give them the resources ND and Insomniac has?
Yeah but they have no real IP's.... and I have no idea about their talent, Crysis was a long time ago.

I'd personally prefer Square. But I can see your logic.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah but they have no real IP's.... and I have no idea about their talent, Crysis was a long time ago.

Talent is better than IP.

Sony has couple of Army game, which crytek can work on. Especially Socum. This could be Sony COD, or Halo counter. And crytek is perfect for it.

Bryank75

Banned
Tony Vinciquerra, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment, said Crunchyroll would bring “tremendous value” to the company’s anime efforts. He said the company plans to create “a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible.”

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does this mean Funimation and Crunchyroll will merge, or will they still be two separate services with separate subs?

From the wording here you can sense that they'll merge:

EDIT: This:

Tony Vinciquerra, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment, said Crunchyroll would bring “tremendous value” to the company’s anime efforts. He said the company plans to create “a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible.”

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Cool i guess, but nothing to do with hardcore PS console gamer like me.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Agreed.

Based on that teams list of failures and Sony already having teams that know about FPS, I'd argue they would literally GO to Sony anyway if Sony was funding some FPS in house and wanted the the talent, they need not buy the team.

Of what value?

What have they done lately for anyone to feel they are NEEDED to make a FPS these days? I'd argue the MS Zenimax deal made more sense for something like Doom and even then its not like MS was didn't already have teams that knew how to make that, they simply have more that know that now.

So I'd say Sony is in the same area, they are not doing Killzone or Resistance cause those teams don't know how to make FPS titles ,they very much do, simply that Spiderman and Horizon make more sense. Plus Sony is alread funding some other secret AAA FPS

So they can contract that out if they feel just, work with other teams that can prove themselves and over time see if thats a good deal.

So I'd say anyone really saying Square or Capcom doesn't make sense, really needs to explain a Crytek purchase deeply lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just remember it’s Sony so even if both services are anime streaming most likely they won’t combine a sub so they can get the most money out of the end user…

Something something consolidation something something monopolizing the Western distribution of anime etc.

Jokes aside, good to see this finally got approved. I'm a bit worried about some of the ideological bents coming from some parts of the West (politically) trying to enforce their way on anime and manga as a whole, and Sony's been a little too happy censoring Japanese games the past few years as-is (hypocritically so in some cases).

However if worst comes to worst it seems anime and even manga publishers will be willing to handle Western translations and releases of subs themselves, so hopefully that acts as incentive for other companies distributing licensed content in the West to not muck around with said content out of some politically-driven ideological BS. I'm pretty interested in what this entails for Sony's PS Vue. Unfortunately, I'm also weary of what this could mean for Netflix getting some deal with them for handling dubs of anime content Sony now owns because, well, Netflix and anime haven't been the best of mixes for a very long time.

Oh yeah...does this also mean Sony now technically owns Crunchyroll originals like High Guardian Spice? If any of those originals are actually good, salvage them and dump the trash. Maybe....Sony can license out those IP with a legit anime studio to revamp them if they can indeed be salvaged, especially if they could also work for trans-media content like, say, new 1P game content for PlayStation.

Also lol @ the people hoping and wishing for acquisitions here. At least wait until some semi-credible recent rumors pop up before weighing in, and try keeing it focused on the company(s) in the rumors.

That is a potential fighting game for sony. And since they own Evolution Championship Series, Its a good game to advertise it.

They co-own it; 50% ownership, the other 50% is some other firm I can't recall the name of ATM. Neither of them seemed to care too much about this year's tournament tho because there was very little advertising for it and most of the matches that weren't Top 8/Top 4 weren't even streamed.

Regardless if next year's in person or online again, they better step up with some real hype and advertising. Do the early parts online and save Top 16 for in-person like they did Red Bull Kumite if you have to, EO needs that hype energy and it just wasn't there this year.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Is it really that good? Might give it a shot. But I need to use a proxy as Funimation isn't available here. Crunchyroll on the other hand is available without a proxy.
Story wise its okay, but that's demon slayer for you, its all about visuals and the movie is gorgeous if you like animation.

Perrott

Gold Member
Sony already owned Demon Slayer but seem to have sold the game rights to Sega

More evidence of their cross department incompetence, and why Sony Japan Studios needed to be scrapped if they couldn't even make a game with their own successful IP
SEGA only acts as the publisher of the game in the West, they don't own any game rights. The game is being funded by Aniplex (a division of Sony Music), so there's still some cross department incompetence in play as you said because it should've been SIE the ones footing the bill for this game (which would've prevented the game from being a multiplatform release as it is currently, something that I'd assume would have been in PlayStation's interest).

Last edited:
Talent is better than IP.
Especially for studios in Europe. There are only few gaming studios per country in Europe so the devs don't tend to move around often unlike studios in the US where talents hop around from studio to studio.

Sony has couple of Army game, which crytek can work on. Especially Socum. This could be Sony COD, or Halo counter. And crytek is perfect for it.
Playstation has a lot of sleeping IPs. They definitely have to do something about it.

Top Bottom