• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official December NPD Prediction Thread (Pachter kills EVERYBODY! Bow down!!!)

Tieno

Cheesemeister said:
Number of contestants: 205

Disqualified for improper formatting or absurd predictions...

cortland_andrus
CowboyAstronaut
norinrad21
Penguin
Revelations
TheRipDizz
Tieno
Timedog
Windu
OBJECTION!!

I didn't even participate!

Odysseus said:
no, i certainly don't think gaf lowballed 360. i think i'm crazy for putting it as high as 1.2 million, to be honest.

I think 360 had enough shortages of Pro and Elite SKUs that they could have sold a couple hundred thousand more than they did. Wherever they end up.

Wii-za

Aggregate said:
[PS2] 871,249; Expected Range = 350,000 to 1,300,000
[PSP] 1,036,582; Expected Range = 595,000 to 1,500,000
[PS3] 809,183; Expected Range = 440,000 to 1,100,000
[360] 1,346,046; Expected Range = 700,000 to 1,800,000
[GBA] 242,362; Expected Range = 10,000 to 700,000
[NDS] 2,351,355; Expected Range = 1,350,000 to 3,100,000
[WII] 1,637,618; Expected Range = 1,000,000 to 2,300,000

Now, those are some CRRRRAZY ranges...

Wii-za said:
[PS2] 950,000
[PSP] 1,150,000
[PS3] 950,000
[360] 1,450,000
[GBA] 450,000
[NDS] 2,770,000
[WII] 1,750,000

Mmmmm...I'n not that off from the Aggregate...

So Cheesemeister, what has been the highest participation ever???

MaX_PL

Banned
ive noticed that all the bestbuys and targets in my area are sold out of xbox 360s.

all those stacks of Arcade and Halo packs are non existent now.

Belgorim

MaX_PL said:
ive noticed that all the bestbuys and targets in my area are sold out of xbox 360s.

all those stacks of Arcade and Halo packs are non existent now.
they are trying the wii style fake demand :)

Wii-za said:
Now, those are some CRRRRAZY ranges...

Mmmmm...I'n not that off from the Aggregate...

So Cheesemeister, what has been the highest participation ever???

The low-end predictions for every console are all outrageously stupid. With the exception of Wii, all of them are lower than the actual November NPD totals.

apujanata

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The low-end predictions for every console are all outrageously stupid. With the exception of Wii, all of them are lower than the actual November NPD totals.

This proves that all GAFfers are Nintendo Fanboy (since they don't underestimate Wii).

What are us sales freaks more excited to see?
Hardware or Software?
There haven't been many surprises lately with hardware. It seems our estimates and the "Professionals" are close enough where we know just about what we are going to get.
Lately I think software has been more fun to follow.
Should be very interesting.

Cheech

CitizenCope said:
Hardware or Software?
There haven't been many surprises lately with hardware. It seems our estimates and the "Professionals" are close enough where we know just about what we are going to get.

The only hardware whose numbers I care about anymore is the PS3. As an owner, I'm nervous about the machine's future. IMO the best first party title on it is still Resistance, and I'm not real happy about that.

Otherwise, bring on the software NPD! I'm excited to see if the 360 GH3 > Wii GH3, and if any single 360 title can trump SMG.

And then there's the matter of UT3 for the PS3 and Rock Band, which I'm excited for but nervous about.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Cheech said:
The only hardware whose numbers I care about anymore is the PS3. As an owner, I'm nervous about the machine's future. IMO the best first party title on it is still Resistance, and I'm not real happy about that.
I don't think you have to worry so much. The PS3 will by default get a good percentage of 360 games from third parties, especially from Eastern developers. Sony has a lot of talented developers under them as well. Give it time. Not to mention they don't need to be as reliant on first party software as, say, Nintendo.

radjago

Cheech said:
Otherwise, bring on the software NPD! I'm excited to see if the 360 GH3 > Wii GH3, and if any single 360 title can trump SMG.
Agreed. Software is exciting part. I wish we got more numbers on the software side. FWIW, I had CoD4 on 360 surpassing SMG for my December NPD predictions.

I wonder what will be top of the pops in the software sales for December, that's what I'm most looking forward to. That, and seeing if any 'older titles manage to work their way back into the Top 10, or if we'll be looking at Nov releases only.

donny2112

Last year, NPD released a Top Ten for December, Top Ten for the year (individual SKUs) and a Top Ten for the year (combined SKUs). Not all at once, though. If they do that again this year, it'll be interesting to see where all the multi-million selling combined SKUs line up at.

xblarcade

donny2112 said:
Last year, NPD released a Top Ten for December, Top Ten for the year (individual SKUs) and a Top Ten for the year (combined SKUs). Not all at once, though. If they do that again this year, it'll be interesting to see where all the multi-million selling combined SKUs line up at.

If they do what's the over under for the number of 360 titles in the Top 10 individual SKUs?

RBH

CitizenCope said:
Hardware or Software?
Initially the hardware numbers are more exciting for the meltdowns and the lulz, but the software is more fun to follow as the NPD threads progress.

GhaleonEB

RBH said:
Initially the hardware numbers are more exciting for the meltdowns and the lulz, but the software is more fun to follow as the NPD threads progress.
Indeed. The hardware is also more simple to track as we have visibility to all the systems every month, where as for software we lose track of games as they drop out of the top 10, or are not on the list of others that NPD provides. So the hardware can follow a complete thread, where as for specific titles, we don't have visibility and thus can only speculate. We can't talk about the sleeper hits, or the steady sellers that are just below the cut-off. Especially in December, when the #10 game will be in the hundreds of thousands, that means we lose sight of a lot of games that might have done well.

On the hardware front, I'm most curious about the PS3. I'm interested to see if it followed seasonal patters, built on the November momentum added from the price drop or fall behind seasonal trend. The latter would imply the price cut gave the system a bump in November but won't be fully sustained. The Wii, DS and 360 will all be constrained by supply to various degrees.

RBH said:

I like the hardware. Software is great, and I snap at any tidbits we get, but as the software trickles in, the thread goes straight to "3rd parties don't sell on Wii" hell, and all the baggage that comes with it: what games are even worth buying, when and whether the "big shift" is going to happen, what bombed shouldn't have, or wouldn't have on other systems, whether the 3rd party games that have done well "count" or are some kind of special case...and so on.

Robert R1

Banned
Only about 2.5hours away and no hints from the usual suspects about the biggest month of the year!? this makes me a sad panda :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
xblarcade said:
If they do what's the over under for the number of 360 titles in the Top 10 individual SKUs?

Based on the IGN Wii LTDs, public NPD data, and selective leaked data (for the reason that leaked data is included, I will round to the nearest 100k so as to disguise the nature and number of data that is not allowed to be used), the INDIVIDUAL SKU top 10 would include.

Halo 3 (~4.1 million + December)
Wii Play (~3.0 million + December)
Call of Duty 4 360 (~1.6m + December)
Mario Party 8 (~1.4 million + December)
Madden 360 (~1.1 million + December)
Super Mario Galaxy (~1.1 million + December)
Guitar Hero 2 360 (~1.0 million + December, data might be off by a bit)
Assassin's Creed 360 (~0.9 million + December)
Guitar Hero 3 360 (~0.9 million + December--but this might be thrown off by the fact that individual SKUs might separate GH3 and GH3 w/guitar)
Super Paper Mario (~0.8 million + December)

That's what I have. Now, if you include the DS/PSP, Diddy Kong Racing and Pokemon DP should both be there. I'm also ignoring the possibility that anything not on the top 10 going into December would overtake any of these.

Resistance is around 600k year to date (missing November AFAIK) and I don't have numbers for MotorStorm past month one. With an aggressive December Assassin's Creed and COD4 could potentially also be up in the contender range.

GhaleonEB

Robert R1 said:
Only about 2.5hours away and no hints from the usual suspects about the biggest month of the year!? this makes me a sad panda :(
The hints trickle in between the NPD release and when the press embargo lifts. The market hasn't closed yet, so the NPD data hasn't been sent out. Soon, though. Very soon. :D

RBH

GhaleonEB said:
Indeed. The hardware is also more simple to track as we have visibility to all the systems every month, where as for software we lose track of games as they drop out of the top 10, or are not on the list of others that NPD provides. So the hardware can follow a complete thread, where as for specific titles, we don't have visibility and thus can only speculate. We can't talk about the sleeper hits, or the steady sellers that are just below the cut-off. Especially in December, when the #10 game will be in the hundreds of thousands, that means we lose sight of a lot of games that might have done well.

On the hardware front, I'm most curious about the PS3. I'm interested to see if it followed seasonal patters, built on the November momentum added from the price drop or fall behind seasonal trend. The latter would imply the price cut gave the system a bump in November but won't be fully sustained. The Wii, DS and 360 will all be constrained by supply to various degrees.
I'm hoping that we get some more comprehensive software charts in order to get a better picture on how certain games are faring. And I'm also most curious about the PS3 as far as the hardware goes for not only December NPD, but Jan. and Feb. as well.

Leondexter said:
I like the hardware. Software is great, and I snap at any tidbits we get, but as the software trickles in, the thread goes straight to "3rd parties don't sell on Wii" hell, and all the baggage that comes with it: what games are even worth buying, when and whether the "big shift" is going to happen, what bombed shouldn't have, or wouldn't have on other systems, whether the 3rd party games that have done well "count" or are some kind of special case...and so on.
Yeah, I'm also really sick of the Wii 3rd party arguments, as they've been just done to death (especially in the media-create threads).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
radjago said:
Joke post?

Uh, no. It sold ludicruously well. Like I said, I don't keep tabs on DKR DS so I don't have a number for it, but it charted NPD-wise a few times and remained on the top 10 DS titles for most of the year. Nintendo's numbers have it having shipped >1 million as of July and it was never released in Japan. I can guarantee you that America made up the lion's share of those sales.

Zelda: PH could make it too with a good December.

xblarcade

Stumpokapow said:
Based on the IGN Wii LTDs, public NPD data, and selective leaked data (for the reason that leaked data is included, I will round to the nearest 100k so as to disguise the nature and number of data that is not allowed to be used), the INDIVIDUAL SKU top 10 would include.

Halo 3 (~4.1 million + December)
Wii Play (~3.0 million + December)
Call of Duty 4 360 (~1.6m + December)
Mario Party 8 (~1.4 million + December)
Madden 360 (~1.1 million + December)
Super Mario Galaxy (~1.1 million + December)
Guitar Hero 2 360 (~1.0 million + December, data might be off by a bit)
Assassin's Creed 360 (~0.9 million + December)
Guitar Hero 3 360 (~0.9 million + December--but this might be thrown off by the fact that individual SKUs might separate GH3 and GH3 w/guitar)
Super Paper Mario (~0.8 million + December)

That's what I have. Now, if you include the DS/PSP, Diddy Kong Racing and Pokemon DP should both be there. I'm also ignoring the possibility that anything not on the top 10 going into December would overtake any of these.

Resistance is around 600k year to date (missing November AFAIK) and I don't have numbers for MotorStorm past month one. With an aggressive December Assassin's Creed and COD4 could potentially also be up in the contender range.

Wow, it looks like at least 6 million sellers for 2008 for the 360? Anyone have an idea what is the record for most million sellers for a Console in one calendar year???

GhaleonEB

Opus Angelorum said:
Hey GhaleonEB, off-topic but will you be attending GDC this year?
Nope. MS doesn't have a community event planned that I know of. Depending on the timing of E3 I might get into it this year. My MVP membership is one year so it expires in July, and I suspect I'm not getting renewed. It's been a hoot, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
xblarcade said:
Wow, it looks like at least 6 million sellers for 2008 for the 360? Anyone have an idea what is the record for most million sellers for a Console in one calendar year???

PS2 had >=5 last year (had 5 of the top 10, all of the top 10 were million selling). In 2003, 2004, and 2005 the PS2 had 6 of the top 10 each year, but it's unclear to me if it had more million sellers more (IE more than 10 titles sold a million) or fewer (IE not all of the top 10 sold a million).

This year the entire top 10 will be at or on the cusp of a million.

Top Bottom