• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Scary shit folks, scary shit...

Silver lining for us normal people...

Bush fucks everything up so bad that the whole country goes democrat in 08!

Celicar said:
An exciting four years for me though.

I know! You'll get a cool new outfit, to see the world, to shoot strange people in foreign lands! And they shoot back! If that's not exciting, I don't know what is!

Zilch

Banned
xsarien said:
The Bible says a lot of things, as society moves forward we may find that some of its "teachings" (and that's in quotes because I'm horribly cynical of organized religion and their texts) may be better off left behind.

I mean, doesn't the Bible also have a word or two about slavery?

As a church-going Christian, I definitely agree that Christians need to be much more accepting of certain cultural and societal changes... remember when rock and roll was the devil?

However, I don't think they're wrong to hold fast to the belief that marriage is between only one man and one woman. Hell, that's a belief that most non-religious people have. I don't understand how you all can get so bent out of shape that this kind of stuff isn't changing instantly.

If being against gay marriage makes you a bigot, then the majority of this country is 'bigoted'.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Willco said:
Ultimately, the President is responsible for the decisions to go into Afghanistan and Iraq. Only will you find opposition relating to the latter. But to think that the President woke up, got out of bed and decided to invade arabic countries is absurd. A lot of thought, advising, intelligence and political factors go into any of those decisions. A whole gaggle of people are brought in to discuss the matter.

No, Bush actually is not responsible for the economic problems of America. The slide started before he went into office thanks to the "dot.com bust" which has progressed into labor outsourcing. Under his watch, the economy is starting to head in a favorable direction now. This is the shortest recession ever.

You can blame various members of Congress that blindly support anything that looks bright and shiny, and party heads in addition to President Bush over any frustrations you might be feeling.

How do you explain many other first world countries having economic booms during this time?

For example

Despite the formation of the EU cutting ties with many of our trading partners
The Asian Crisis
The rising cost of Oil
And Dot com crash the Australian Economy is a strong as ever?

How did that happen??

Cool

Celicar said:
LOL

Case in point. You are bitter. Let it go, bro. If you don't, it's gonna be a looooooong four years. An exciting four years for me though.

Celicar, you are always and always have been such an advocate for Bush, but you remind me of all the people in my high school in the aspect that you can never give shit for a good reason as to why you support Bush. For some reason, the Leonardo avatar reminds me of some rich kid whose sitting in a mansion right now with rich parents who get a bunch of Dubya's tax breaks and that you're going to get some big corporation passed down to you when you become of age.

Explain why you supported Bush, if you wouldn't mind.

Celicar

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
I know! You'll get a cool new outfit, to see the world, to shoot strange people in foreign lands! And they shoot back! If that's not exciting, I don't know what is!

LOL

Is this bitterness or anger? I can't tell. I LOVE your tall tales, but I can't stick around and read more. I have ANOTHER job interview, thanks to the FANTASTIC economy Bush has given us in the last few years.

I LOVE YOU GEORGE W BUSH!!!!

MIMIC

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:

I'd laugh, but that applies to me, too. :(

Zilch said:
As a church-going Christian, I definitely agree that Christians need to be much more accepting of certain cultural and societal changes... remember when rock and roll was the devil?

However, I don't think they're wrong to hold fast to the belief that marriage is between only one man and one woman. Hell, that's a belief that most non-religious people have. I don't understand how you all can get so bent out of shape that this kind of stuff isn't changing instantly.

If being against gay marriage makes you a bigot, then the majority of this country is 'bigoted'.
The majority of this country is bigoted in more than one way. Don't act like that's a bold claim.

AssMan

Banned
Jesus. There was about to be a fight at the gym I go to, Gold's Gym this morning because of the elections. lol

So one person has been banned already in here?

xsarien:
For what? (I mean, you're welcome, but I'd like to know what I'm welcoming you for. ;) )

lol, you were the only person who replied to my question on page fifty- no, sixty- ... (ah fuck it ^_^ ). This thread is a clusterfuck. Gotta love an election year ;)

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
CrimsonSkies said:
"Worst Post Ever

WTF are you smoking,

I study international politics

And undermining the UN is sure is hell not the right thing to do."

Obviously you're a failure as a student.

"Take Dubya's cock out of your mouth and pop one of these."

Stating the obvious about the liberal reaction to these results does not warrant the childish images and posts.

Meh distinction/credit average when I just cram my units in a few days is not a dam failure.

Doc Holliday

It just shows you that the country hasnt changed much since the civil war. People in the south are still dumb as ever.

PS mods dont lock teh thread let us vent for a few more hours at least. It will go back to normal :D

ge-man

Zilch said:

Poor argument. Have we all forgotten the run up to WWII? Facisim was a world wide movement. It's possible for COUNTRIES to do the wrong thing.

Zilch

Banned
enjoy bell woods said:
The majority of this country is bigoted in more than one way. Don't act like that's a bold claim.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you how much I hate blacks and women. :rolleyes:

You people...

Willco

Hollywood Square
Do The Mario said:
How do you explain many other first world countries having economic booms during this time?

For example

Despite the formation of the EU cutting ties with many of our trading partners
The Asian Crisis
The rising cost of Oil
And Dot com crash the Australian Economy is a strong as ever?

How did that happen??

Because we live in America and they don't. Our economy is dependent on entirely different factors than those over in Europe and abraod. It's true that in a way, there are a global factors that we're on dependent on, but America's economic system is a different monster.

Regardless of how you want to think about it, there's no debating that this recession started with Clinton. It's not like Bush inherited a super healthy economy. It's just another political tactic to get you to vote for one party or another, as both parties are guilty of blaming economic problems on a President, despite the fact that the problems probably occured before a certain party took office.

Zilch said:

You people...

I agree. Shit like that boggles the mind.

Doc Holliday

I'm not saying bush is hitler...but i remember as a kid wondering wtf were teh germans thnking when they let hitler rise to power. How stupid could you be?. Well i have my answer.. fear, bigotry, and blind nationalism...much scarier in person.

Zilch said:

You people...
I never said you were a bigot. Don't start victimizing yourself. If you think the majority of this country supports things such as interracial relationships, you're fooling yourself.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Zilch said:

To some it still is, remember Marilyn Manson?

That's entirely possible. Remember when the majority of this country thought black people shouldn't marry white people? Bigotry doesn't stop at religious or ethnic boundaries. Which says nothing to the fact that writing such an obviously religious-based "law" into the books says that the line between church and state has been smudged to near illegibility. Here's an idea: Keep your religion out of my life. My doing something that goes against your Christian sensibilities does nothing to impede your faith, whereas hard liner Christians imposing their beliefs on everyone affects everyone.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Willco said:
Because we live in America and they don't. Our economy is dependent on entirely different factors than those over in Europe and abraod. It's true that in a way, there are a global factors that we're on dependent on, but America's economic system is a different monster.

Regardless of how you want to think about it, there's no debating that this recession started with Clinton. It's not like Bush inherited a super healthy economy. It's just another political tactic to get you to vote for one party or another, as both parties are guilty of blaming economic problems on a President, despite the fact that the problems probably occured before a certain party took office.

I agree. Shit like that boggles the mind.

It has nothing to do with the fact that other countries have strong fiscal polices that have enabled growth despite the world economic slump?

What Fiscal policy has Bush implemented over the last 4 years to stimulate the American economy?

Willco

Hollywood Square
enjoy bell woods said:
I never said you were a bigot. Don't start victimizing yourself. If you think the majority of this country supports things such as interracial relationships, you're fooling yourself.

If you were to ask every single person in the United States of America that question, I think you'd be wrong. Are there bigots? Yes. Is there racism? Yes. But your commentary is absurd at best and it's the kind of comments that continue to polarize the nation.

DarkAngyl

Zilch said:
But the Bible says that marriage is between one man and one woman. How in the world can you be a Christian and justify gay marriage?

Christians DO NOT hate homosexuals. Don't think that people with "God Hates Fags" picket signs are the majority of Christians. But if what they (gays) want goes against what Christians believe, what should we do? It's like today you can't be against any cause without being called a 'bigot'. Pretty pathetic.

The Bible also says judge not lest ye be judged yourself. I don't see how allowing gays the rights that every other American has is in any way in accordance with what the Bible teaches. We don't have the right to enforce our will on them because they live their lives a different way. A civil union isn't going to do any damage to the institution of marriage, and a damn site less harm than a lot of Christians who cheat on their wives/husbands or believe that you gotta smack the old lady around to keep her in line do. Intolerance is intolerance no matter how you wrap it up.

Hell the Bible also says you should not allow a witch to live. Are we going back to witch burnings too? The Bible, for all the good that is in it, is still a document that was translated by men, men with an agenda. There are some wonderful things in it, there are some not so wonderful things in it. Sometimes they are diametrically opposed. You know, for a while there the whole WWJD bracelets were popular. What would Jesus do? Do you think he would deny people rights because of their sexuality? He would try and bring them into the fold with love, not an iron fist.

I'm also not saying all Christians hate gays. Like I said, I am a Christian. You don't think I am, but then again I don't believe that determination is up to you. It's up to me, and to God. I've accepted Jesus years ago. I also am able to think for myself and to realize that not everyone that gets behind a pulpit is preaching direct from God.

Willco said:
If you were to ask every single person in the United States of America that question, I think you'd be wrong. Are there bigots? Yes. Is there racism? Yes. But your commentary is absurd at best and it's the kind of comments that continue to polarize the nation.
Well, okay, you enjoy walking through the South as a white man with a black girlfriend.

IJoel

xsarien said:
To some it still is, remember Marilyn Manson?

That's entirely possible. Remember when the majority of this country thought black people shouldn't marry white people? Bigotry doesn't stop at religious or ethnic boundaries. Which says nothing to the fact that writing such an obviously religious-based "law" into the books says that the line between church and state has been smudged to near illegibility. Here's an idea: Keep your religion out of my life. My doing something that goes against your Christian sensibilities does nothing to impede your faith, whereas hard liner Christians imposing their beliefs on everyone affects everyone.

Don't bother. I mean, really. It's beyond salvation.

Kerry lost because a significant portion of americans are bigots that can't accept homosexuality as a way of life for others. It's simple as that. No matter how much one reasons with them, they resort to the same thing to hide their bigotry.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Do The Mario said:
It has nothing to do with the fact that other countries have strong fiscal polices that have enabled growth despite the world economic slump?

I never said that. Political policies and national infrastructure are one of those variables that make foriegn countries different than our own, as I've already stated.

What Fiscal policy has Bush implemented over the last 4 years to stimulate the American economy?

This is where I will agree with you. Bush has stayed the party course of roughing out the recession with a war mentality and tax cuts, and things have begun to turn around. I disagree with this method and it's one of the reasons why I did not vote for him.

Regardless of that, you're still skirting around the fact that the economic slide started before he took office and he's certainly not responsible for it.

Wow...
wtf.gif

I've gotta say, reading the 60+ pages of this thread was an astonishing, headache-inducing experience. Emotions put on display here ran from unbridled enthusiasm and premature optimism, to spiteful bitterness and partisan divisiveness, hitting every conceivable stop along the way. All in the span of a single day.

Please, PLEASE tell me that this thread's going into the archive for posterity.

DarkAngyl said:
Holy shit.... :/ It's attitudes like this that give conservatives and Christians a bad name.

You know, it was the gay marriage amendment that got me out to vote. To vote against it. Granted I live in Georgia so it was all but useless, but I tried. And yes I am a Republican/Christian. So we aren't all evil. ;) To the Christians that do think that this amendment is a good thing....I just don't know what to say. I don't think God would want any of his children considered less than citizens...less than human, no matter how much he disagrees with the way they live their lives. I'm not convinced that he's all that upset about gays to begin with. The Old Testament condemns and oks a lot of things that are flipped today. You can't pick and choose. If you are gonna go with one rule, go with them all.

Christianity should be about love and tolerance, not alienation. Bigotry should have no place in our religion.

There's hope. Thanks for the post.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Willco said:
I never said that. Political policies and national infrastructure are one of those variables that make foriegn countries different than our own, as I've already stated.

This is where I will agree with you. Bush has stayed the party course of roughing out the recession with a war mentality and tax cuts, and things have begun to turn around. I disagree with this method and it's one of the reasons why I did not vote for him.

Regardless of that, you're still skirting around the fact that the economic slide started before he took office and he's certainly not responsible for it.

Thanks for a great response, but I don’t think it has anything to do with when the problem started.

The fact is the cabinet should be able to remedy it in some form via fiscal policy; the bottom line is the Bush government did stuff all to fix the economy.

By your logic no one has to try to fix the economy because it was broken before we got elected?

Willco

Hollywood Square
enjoy bell woods said:
Well, okay, you enjoy walking through the South as a white man with a black girlfriend.

I've walked in the South with a black girlfriend. My family is black.

I'm well aware of where racism lies, but say that it's 100% there in all the South is just goddamn silly. We're all aware of deep Southern states and cities that just fuel racism, but they don't dictate my future, the future of the country and certainly don't represent everybody.

People on this forum continue to go overboard.

Kerry is not some windsurfing pussy that wants to legalize abortions for gay marriages and Bush is not some evil monkey that will invade a country on some whim.

Top political prospects? I think not, but they're the ones we were stuck with and Bush won. One man alone is not responsible for everything the county has done or will do, and if you hate his policies so much, everyone has a chance to deter his party plan in a couple of years.

Doc Holliday

Kerry is not some windsurfing pussy that wants to legalize abortions for gay marriages and Bush is not some evil monkey that will invade a country on some whim.

Im not sure those arent true on both accounts hehehe

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Wow...
wtf.gif

I've gotta say, reading the 60+ pages of this thread was an astonishing, headache-inducing experience. Emotions put on display here ran from unbridled enthusiasm and premature optimism, to spiteful bitterness and partisan divisiveness, hitting every conceivable stop along the way. All in the span of a single day.

Please, PLEASE tell me that this thread's going into the archive for posterity.
Please don’t

When get into politics in Australia I don’t want my GA post history to become part to a smear campaign!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
xexex said:
Arnold vs Hilary 08 :lol

Neither one of them would win the primaries IMO.

Arnold won't win because he doesn't go along with the evangelical christians (a large portion of the republican base). Many of his stances on issues are liberal. He's also supposedly a womanizer....and we all remember how republicans felt about Clinton. Choosing Arnold would weaken republicans on the morality issue.

Hilary won't win because the dems are smart enough (I hope) to realize that the republicans would demonize her to no end and that she would only energize the republicans. They (republicans) will do anything to prevent another Clinton from entering the White House.

My hunch for the '08 matchup:

Jeb Bush for president and either John McCain or Rudy G for vice president.

VS.

Barack Obama or Howard Dean for president and either Barack Obama or an unknown for vice president.

Barack Obama = the future of the democratic party IMO.

teepo

hahahaha this is great

i can't wait to go to d.c and hear what all the liberal indie kids will be chanting next.

Zilch said:

Yes, they are. Whether or not something is bigotry is not determined by a majority vote-- it's a matter of fundamental truth.

I highly doubt Barack will be running in 2008. If you think the attacks on John Edwards service record were bad, just wait until the republican machine gets a hold of a 3-4 year junior term senator from "LIBERAL" Illinois. I say give him more time...

Willco

Hollywood Square
Do The Mario said:
Thanks for a great response, but I don’t think it has anything to do with when the problem started.

You can't clean up a mess if you don't know what caused it.

The fact is the cabinet should be able to remedy it in some form via fiscal policy; the bottom line is the Bush government did stuff all to fix the economy.

Bush's administration is fixing the economy and it is turning around. There is definitive evidence that says they're going to turn it around completely.

My disagreement is that they're doing the Republican way, which leaves us the bill a few years down the line and a bigger mess than we started with. Our deficit is ridiculous, but the Reagan neo-conservative policy thrives on the deficit and war production to fuel the economy and balance inflation. The problem is that eventually, inflation becomes too high and this is a Cold War mentality that just isn't practical in today's day and age.

Bush can fix us, but he could also break us.

By your logic no one has to try to fix the economy because it was broken before we got elected?

No, and that's why Bush didn't get my vote. But he's not responsible for what happened to the economy. Liberals sound like a broken record telling us how great the Clinton years were and how Bush has ruined them. That's so inaccurate.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
KE04 said:
I highly doubt Barack will be running in 2008. If you think the attacks on John Edwards service record were bad, just wait until the republican machine gets a hold of a 3-4 year junior term senator from "LIBERAL" Illinois. I say give him more time...

I think that if he votes towards the middle over the next few years they won't be able to make much of an issue about his being liberal (at least not as much as Kerry).

I honestly don't think the democratic party can afford to wait until after Obama's 2nd or 3rd term. Besides, the more votes he casts the more ammunition they will have to go after him with.

Xenon

What the hell good can Bush do for us?

stay the course! ha

I think he provides stable leadership, something I could not see in Kerry. I also agree with his position on fighting terror. I like the fact that he is trying to curb medical lawsuits. His health care plan is actually feasible. And most importantly.... he doesn't try blow smoke up my ass!

Kerry is a fucking joke. I'm sure the world would love for us to have a lame duck president. I don't. The world needs to get it's own act together before it starts to criticize. This goes double for the middle-east. People are blasting Americans for voting with their faith. AT LEAST WE FUCKING TRY TO SPERATE CHURCH AND STATE!!!! THOSE FUCKTARDS HAVE BEEN FIGHTING OVER SOME WORTHLESS LAND FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS..... ALL IN THE NAME OF THEIR FUCKING GOD! WTF!!! HANDING KIDS BOMBS... YEAH THE US IS THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO REASSESS ITS PRIORITIES, WHAT FUCKING EVER!!!!!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
It's been a fun thread. I can only hope that Bush improves in this second term a number of things IMO he failed to do in his first term.

Nowhere to go but up right..... <looks around> right? <looks around> come on.....

DarkAngyl

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about what bigotry is. Bigotry does not equal racisim. Sure at times they do go hand in hand, but they are not the same thing.

From dictionary.com:Big"ot*ry\, n. [Cf. F. bigoterie.] 1. The state of mind of a bigot; obstinate and unreasoning attachment of one's own belief and opinions, with narrow-minded intolerance of beliefs opposed to them.

2. The practice or tenets of a bigot.

OmniGamer

DarkAngyl said:
The Bible also says judge not lest ye be judged yourself. I don't see how allowing gays the rights that every other American has is in any way in accordance with what the Bible teaches. We don't have the right to enforce our will on them because they live their lives a different way. A civil union isn't going to do any damage to the institution of marriage, and a damn site less harm than a lot of Christians who cheat on their wives/husbands or believe that you gotta smack the old lady around to keep her in line do. Intolerance is intolerance no matter how you wrap it up.

Hell the Bible also says you should not allow a witch to live. Are we going back to witch burnings too? The Bible, for all the good that is in it, is still a document that was translated by men, men with an agenda. There are some wonderful things in it, there are some not so wonderful things in it. Sometimes they are diametrically opposed. You know, for a while there the whole WWJD bracelets were popular. What would Jesus do? Do you think he would deny people rights because of their sexuality? He would try and bring them into the fold with love, not an iron fist.

I'm also not saying all Christians hate gays. Like I said, I am a Christian. You don't think I am, but then again I don't believe that determination is up to you. It's up to me, and to God. I've accepted Jesus years ago. I also am able to think for myself and to realize that not everyone that gets behind a pulpit is preaching direct from God.

Great post...Bible-thumpers? 2 mins.

chimpychi

KE04 said:
I didn't want to wake up today.
I got up this morning hoping some Christmas miracle occured...instead I just realized it's over and I couldn't be more disappointed...this is just going to be a sad day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom