• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Halo Infinite MP is Free-to-Play and will support 120FPS

Halo ALWAYS had a massive comunity!!!

It will suck that they need to make money off the game, like every other f2p game. This means adding progression d lays on the game, this means selling add ons, this means enlongating the game artificially so you never feel satisfied, you always need more. More time and/or more money.

When a game takes this pattern it stops being fun and becomes a chore.

Have you ever played any mobile game? F2p games have certain patterns to make money amd they all suck, they are all worse than paying up front and enjoying the full experience

Not sure about that one tbh... all I do is play F2P multiplayer games these days, league of legends, warzone, fortnite when it came out.... all their micro transaction systems were non intrusive and purely cosmetic. I still play warzone regularly and I’ve never felt forced to spend money, I buy the battle pass and that’s about it.

I’ve seen paid games that have more intrusive MTX systems, fifa and most sport games etc...

II_JumPeR_I

Did they show new Battletoads stuff recently?!? *Edit* I just watched the release trailer for this.

I dunno about that....Phantasy Start Online 2 is F2P on Xbox and PC but you need an xbox live account to play. Same thing with Grounded.
They are not killing their xboxlive System lol... they will just remove the Gold Paywall on console

Uiki

Warzone on Xbox is a shitshow because you literally can’t turn off cross platform play with PC, and it’s rife with PC cheaters.

343 better make you be able to turn off cross platform play or at least let you restrict it to the UWP win store version.

And that has nothing to do with 60hz vs 120hz.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Who would’ve thought. Xbox’s flagship franchise, the one they built up for 3 generations reduced to a bargain bin f2p multiplayer game.

REE Machine

Banned
MisguidedOilyCommabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Also I hate this idea, wtf are they doing with Halo boys?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Free to fuck off
Just great
Release it on mobile too so everyone can play it

Unfortunately to find massive success you need to go F2P. The casual market sees no point in paying for multiplayer games when the competition is all free to play.

Fortnite, Warzone, Valorant, CSGO, league of legends, Destiny etc...

REE Machine

Banned
Unfortunately to find massive success you need to go F2P. The casual market sees no point in paying for multiplayer games when the competition is all free to play.

Fortnite, Warzone, Valorant, CSGO, league of legends, Destiny etc...
Last time i checked the last multiplayer game to win a goty nomination and rack in the money was Overwatch and thats not f2p, yes its possible to be incredibly successful without free to play, key thing is the game has to be good! Alot devs dont understand that and bring out mediocre experiences.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Free to play, id never throw down those frames, good for them. Sadly to achieve it though the multiplayer won't be a looker either
Depends on where they are trying to achieve this. I would imagine that the 120fps is mostly for competitive play, so arena. Arena isn't that big, with a 12TF GPU they'll probably get some great beautiful results out of it even at 120fps.

The F2P I don't mind. More people to play against I guess...

Last time i checked the last multiplayer game to win a goty nomination and rack in the money was Overwatch and thats not f2p, yes its possible to be incredibly successful without free to play, key thing is the game has to be good! Alot devs dont understand that and bring out mediocre experiences.

Overwatch isn’t more popular than any of the free to play games I mentioned though

REE Machine

Banned
Depends on where they are trying to achieve this. I would imagine that the 120fps is mostly for competitive play, so arena. Arena isn't that big, with a 12TF GPU they'll probably get some great beautiful results out of it even at 120fps.

The F2P I don't mind. More people to play against I guess...
My problem with it is the casualization of a major franchise.ets say killzone was a bigger hit than i should have been, if they made that free to play I question the franchise and the quality of the product coming out. I dont like how MS is pushing toward services so hard.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with it is the casualization of a major franchise.ets say killzone was a bigger hit than i should have been, if they made that free to play I question the franchise and the quality of the product coming out. I dont like how MS is pushing toward services so hard.
Oh but this is Microsoft's biggest franchise, I actually think because the MP is F2P and Halo will turn into a GaaS, the content will be better. We'll be getting new Halo content every couple of months of high quality because they need to stay relevant and this is a highly competitive field. We'll see in November but I wouldn't worry about the quality of Halo

But.....factions is a GaaS game.....there was 4 content packs that I remember, or maybe 3 i forget.
Hell if you wanted to play TLOU on the hardest difficulty you had to buy one of these content drops even if you didnt play factions you had to pay for everything.
If you did play Factions and didnt have money, players who had money would have the advantage because new perks that were actually helpful were in the content drops.
So after paying to play, you could now pay to win..........IS THIS YOUR KING!?!

3d5fb68a3e60e00ed25c3f122256085e.jpg

Luckily TLOU Remastered abandoned that shit and gave you all the content outright........at a cost!

So you do like GaaS you just dont want it to be free?

Because whether you like to admit it or not and maybe you really are just too old for this shit and cant think critically anymore the "expansions" model fragments the community because more people dont want to drop a lump sum on a big fundemental content drop, this slowly breaks the community into 5 or 6 or however many pieces the number of map packs the game gets over its lifetime. And any perks that are intensive to buy the packs will be pay2win mechanics, the real scum of the earth.

Doing a "fundamental" components are free and everyone gets them, but cosmetics require something to unlock is the best way to keep an MP community going and united while also funding the actual content drops.
Those who dont care about cosmetics and dohickys are all good and still get all the content drops without paying a dime, people who really like collectathons have the battlepass or whatever to grind through, and people who just want to pay outright (like you) can still just straight up buy whatever content they want.

In a PvP game like Halo where you arent going to be grinding for a better gun or armor that has some sort of benefit to you its almost certainly all going to be cosmetic....which you can just buy outright for the price you would have paid for the "expansion" you so desperately miss. I would think you would be in full praise the sun mode thinking about how you dont have to pay for packs and whatever armor you want you can just buy.

Im guessing you liked factions now because all the drops are done, its basically now a pure experience, youve paid for everything already, a new content drop would trigger your 'FOMO' and youd have to buy it......but if the game was still alive and kicking with active content updates going on, it would effectively be the worst kinda of GaaS, not even an option to play towards the things you want, you have to buy the content packs outright.....dont have money? FUCK OFF!

Think critically, you just forgot what expansions used to do to communities.
And worse with things like factions where some players got abilities other couldnt use.

Even the Remastered on PS4 was fucking LOADED with micro transactions and premium DLC, including perks, loadouts, and weapons that were downright pay to win. Their paid DLC changed the entire meta of the game because they were so broken. Last of Us is probably the biggest example I can think of as GaaS done wrong because the original Factions at its core was so goddamn good but it got ruined by greed. To me that’s worse than something like Anthem or F76 because they were never that good to begin with. Factions was amazing. Micro transactions ruined it.

You didnt say popular you said massive success, how the hell isnt overwatch a massive success. It not being free to play and also winning goty, when has fortnite, pubg, or cods new f2p won goty?

GOTY is irrelevant, Overwatch on twitch has the same amount of viewers as gears 5, not exactly impressive is it.

If halo wants a shot at its original glory free to play is the only logical answer.

REE Machine

Banned
GOTY is irrelevant, Overwatch on twitch has the same amount of viewers as gears 5, not exactly impressive is it.

If halo wants a shot at its original glory free to play is the only logical answer.
Currently it has 20.4 which is still significant for a game that came out well over 4 years ago and goty being irrelevant, thats like saying a movie winning film of the year is irrelevent because 4 years later not many people are watching it anymore. What a weird argument,

Currently it has 20.4 which is still significant for a game that came out well over 4 years ago and goty being irrelevant, thats like saying a movie winning film of the year is irrelevent because 4 years later not many people are watching it anymore. What a weird argument,

just look at the industry and the interests of casual gamers and how it shifted. Overwatch came out a year before fortnite did and before the prominence of battle royale and free to play shooters.

it’s a different scene for shooters, with bigger titles shifting towards free to play people become less interested in these paid games. Destiny CS GO COD all shifted from paid games to free to play elements.

I don’t think you actually followed Overwatch, but just 1 month after launch it already started declining HARD on twitch viewership, the competitive scene is not that active and it’s lucky to get 30k+ viewers a year after launch. Also one year after launch it’s viewership dropped by half.... the league is unexciting and a lot of fans are getting fed up.

Top Bottom