• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Halo Infinite MP is Free-to-Play and will support 120FPS

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Currently i'm focusing on SP games, finished TLOU2 and i'm playing Ghost of Tsushima.

But i played a fair amount of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, didn't got interested in the seasons and battle pass stuff. And after finishing TLOU 2 i revisited The Last of Us Factions Multiplayer and i had a blast playing it.

I don't mind paying for expansions though, i think it's the best model for multiplayer games.

I just don't like tactics based on FOMO and excess of grind in multiplayer games, i played basically every Blizzard game, then Destiny 2, and i concluded that i'm too old for this bullshit.

But.....factions is a GaaS game.....there was 4 content packs that I remember, or maybe 3 i forget.
Hell if you wanted to play TLOU on the hardest difficulty you had to buy one of these content drops even if you didnt play factions you had to pay for everything.
If you did play Factions and didnt have money, players who had money would have the advantage because new perks that were actually helpful were in the content drops.
So after paying to play, you could now pay to win..........IS THIS YOUR KING!?!

3d5fb68a3e60e00ed25c3f122256085e.jpg

Luckily TLOU Remastered abandoned that shit and gave you all the content outright........at a cost!

So you do like GaaS you just dont want it to be free?

Because whether you like to admit it or not and maybe you really are just too old for this shit and cant think critically anymore the "expansions" model fragments the community because more people dont want to drop a lump sum on a big fundemental content drop, this slowly breaks the community into 5 or 6 or however many pieces the number of map packs the game gets over its lifetime. And any perks that are intensive to buy the packs will be pay2win mechanics, the real scum of the earth.

Doing a "fundamental" components are free and everyone gets them, but cosmetics require something to unlock is the best way to keep an MP community going and united while also funding the actual content drops.
Those who dont care about cosmetics and dohickys are all good and still get all the content drops without paying a dime, people who really like collectathons have the battlepass or whatever to grind through, and people who just want to pay outright (like you) can still just straight up buy whatever content they want.

In a PvP game like Halo where you arent going to be grinding for a better gun or armor that has some sort of benefit to you its almost certainly all going to be cosmetic....which you can just buy outright for the price you would have paid for the "expansion" you so desperately miss. I would think you would be in full praise the sun mode thinking about how you dont have to pay for packs and whatever armor you want you can just buy.

Im guessing you liked factions now because all the drops are done, its basically now a pure experience, youve paid for everything already, a new content drop would trigger your 'FOMO' and youd have to buy it......but if the game was still alive and kicking with active content updates going on, it would effectively be the worst kinda of GaaS, not even an option to play towards the things you want, you have to buy the content packs outright.....dont have money? FUCK OFF!

Think critically, you just forgot what expansions used to do to communities.
And worse with things like factions where some players got abilities other couldnt use.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I've been pretty harsh against Xbox in the past I will admit, but its so funny watching these Sony shills growl at any sort of remotely positive Xbox news. Especially when some of them have admitted to not even liking Halo to begin with. So this should be a nonissue.
My favourite thread on this forum was the one " which is the more consumer pro company"

And I think the Sony won it over Microsoft.

Ridiculous.

Whatever you're favourite company there is no doubt that Microsoft give you much better value for money.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

The 5 percent of 120 hz players are gonna dominate big time.

Well the mode is for people who take their onlinage seriously.
Likely already have a 144+Hz TN panel monitor anyway.....they were going to dominate anyway.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Damn it. I don’t think my 4k TV supports 120hz. That would’ve been something to see. Ah well, F2P Halo is still a huge development. Interesting times ahead for the franchise - it’s clear they want to be big, and relevant, again. I believe there is (was?) a F2P Halo for China at some point. How did that perform?

Edit: Ha! Turns out my TV supports up to 100hz. No idea what that's gonna do...

Check if your TV supports 120hz at 1080p.

Only found out my TV does the other day.

MrFunSocks

Banned
All the people worrying about “shady micro transactions” etc, do you not realise that Halo is an arena shooter at its core? Weapons spawn on the map, everyone has the same weapons. There’s no room for anything in the main modes other than cosmetics.

it’s like none of these “concerned” posters ever played halo 5. Wonder why? I expect, like halo 5, there will be a warzone type mode where you can use micro transactions, completely separated from the main modes, so only cosmetics apply to the main modes.

For those complaining that they’d rather buy a new game every yeAt or 2, wtf? Wouldn’t you rather just have a base game that constantly gets updated with new features and content? It means you don’t have a hard reset and lose all the previous content every year or 2.

As a primarily MP player, this news is super exciting.

PerfectDark

Banned
All free to play games are garbage. Any free to play game on PC will be infested with hackers and bots. I agree good games should cost more then $60. Really sick of MTX models and games. This is why gaming has sucked the last 10 years. Its not that MTX ruin games its just this is all most devs care about. Madden for example is not even a football game anymore but a online gambling simulator.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I expect this game to look like an early gen 360 game.

I have a LG B9 OLED so if I ever tmget a series X I'll give it a shot

Last edited:
It's needs a battle royal mode
I'm like 95% sure it's gonna have one. If not at launch, then added later.

Honestly with the breadth of Forge/Custom Game options Halo already has it probably wouldn't take too much time or effort to make one, even on your own.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Of course it will also be F2P on PC. Why wouldn't it be?

It seems like something to get people to buy the console. If they're just releasing this as a PC f2p game, that's huge, as people who have and want nothing to do with Microsoft's ecosystem have access to play its biggest game whenever they want.

Reactions: GHG

Arthimura

But.....factions is a GaaS game.....there was 4 content packs that I remember, or maybe 3 i forget.
Hell if you wanted to play TLOU on the hardest difficulty you had to buy one of these content drops even if you didnt play factions you had to pay for everything.
If you did play Factions and didnt have money, players who had money would have the advantage because new perks that were actually helpful were in the content drops.
So after paying to play, you could now pay to win..........IS THIS YOUR KING!?!
Luckily TLOU Remastered abandoned that shit and gave you all the content outright........at a cost!

So you do like GaaS you just dont want it to be free?

Because whether you like to admit it or not and maybe you really are just too old for this shit and cant think critically anymore the "expansions" model fragments the community because more people dont want to drop a lump sum on a big fundemental content drop, this slowly breaks the community into 5 or 6 or however many pieces the number of map packs the game gets over its lifetime. And any perks that are intensive to buy the packs will be pay2win mechanics, the real scum of the earth.

Doing a "fundamental" components are free and everyone gets them, but cosmetics require something to unlock is the best way to keep an MP community going and united while also funding the actual content drops.
Those who dont care about cosmetics and dohickys are all good and still get all the content drops without paying a dime, people who really like collectathons have the battlepass or whatever to grind through, and people who just want to pay outright (like you) can still just straight up buy whatever content they want.

In a PvP game like Halo where you arent going to be grinding for a better gun or armor that has some sort of benefit to you its almost certainly all going to be cosmetic....which you can just buy outright for the price you would have paid for the "expansion" you so desperately miss. I would think you would be in full praise the sun mode thinking about how you dont have to pay for packs and whatever armor you want you can just buy.

Im guessing you liked factions now because all the drops are done, its basically now a pure experience, youve paid for everything already, a new content drop would trigger your 'FOMO' and youd have to buy it......but if the game was still alive and kicking with active content updates going on, it would effectively be the worst kinda of GaaS, not even an option to play towards the things you want, you have to buy the content packs outright.....dont have money? FUCK OFF!

Think critically, you just forgot what expansions used to do to communities.
And worse with things like factions where some players got abilities other couldnt use.

Yes, i played the Remastered version of TLOU Factions Multiplayer, so i didn't had to deal with these things.

I think expansions worked pretty well for older games like StarCraft, Diablo, and even Destiny, Forsaken had a fair amount of content for both MP and SP games. A little before Bungie went the f2p route, quality content already stopped being made and the game basically became a console mobile f2p.

CS:GO worked pretty well for years too being a buy to play game, the only thing they had were operation passes and skins, without didn't change the core gameplay neither forced you to grind.

Hostile_18

Banned
Mine will. All you 60 fps plebeians better step the fuck up and start taking some extra shifts at the 7-11 if you wanna get on my level with a modern TV. Poor cunts.

Kidding :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kind of.

Didn't 2.1 tvs only start last year? Haha. It wasn't a main factor in my last tv purchase as i think 4k 60 will be few and far between.

Its more important that the groundwork is laid now for the next consoles so everyone who bought a tv within the last 7 years will be able to benefit gen 10 (a bit like 4k gen 9 and 1080p gen 8).

Black_Stride

Yes, i played the Remastered version of TLOU Factions Multiplayer, so i didn't had to deal with these things.

I think expansions worked pretty well for older games like StarCraft, Diablo, and even Destiny, Forsaken had a fair amount of content for both MP and SP games. A little before Bungie went the f2p route, quality content already stopped being made and the game basically became a console mobile f2p.

CS:GO worked pretty well for years too being a buy to play game, the only thing they had were operation passes and skins, without didn't change the core gameplay neither forced you to grind.

Yeah if you went straight to Remastered then it didnt feel bad and you would have missed the truly bad side of pay expansions, doesnt change the fact it was a GaaS service till it reached end of life.

The problem with expansions in ongoing games is as I mentioned fragmentation of the community: the haves and have nots.

The CS;GO model you are praising is literally what Halo Infinite is going for.
Nothing fundamental is locked behind a paywall, its an arena shooter, they cant give players any sort of edge or even target those who spend more.....if a new shotgun is added to the game, everyone playing will be able to find that new shotgun on the map.

Destiny if a weapon/armor was only available in pack x, then if you didnt have pack x you would never be able to find it.....now when we PvP im fucked because im a cheap bastard, in PvE even if I can play with you, that cool new weapon has to have a reason to entice people to get it, so chances are its better than the gear ive got......Pay2Win?

In a situation where everything thats core and can actually affect gameplay being free, everyone gets it and skins and other cosmetics can be earned with ingame currency (the grind) or you can just buy them outright.
Im sure the req system will return in some fashion for whatever Warzone is evolving into.....but for the core multiplayer experience a person who just wants to play will have an absolute blast because you would be getting content for free, still earning ingame currency that you may or may not spend.
I only spent all the req points in Halo 5 last year.....I had been playing since launch, because I simply had no incentive to spend, I dont care what I look like in the game, I dont care that my weapon has a fancy skin as long as it can kill you. Then I started playing Warzone.
So I loved the experience, people who enjoy that shit also had a blast because they could either grind towards what they wanted or spend real money the same way someone would on an expansion pack or complete edition as in TLOU case.

Seems like a win win to me, those who like just purchasing stuff outright can do that, those who like the grind can do that.
The people who only want the gameplay loop and care little for all the other stuff will have a constant and free stream of new content to play.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
MEGATON. Microsoft is on a roll lately........Battletoads and now this!

Did they show new Battletoads stuff recently?!? *Edit* I just watched the release trailer for this.

So MS just killed gold? Good.

Very good.

I dunno about that....Phantasy Start Online 2 is F2P on Xbox and PC but you need an xbox live account to play. Same thing with Grounded.

It could be a way form them to get a TON of people to jump in on Game Pass Ultimate though.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
I’m just wondering how this will work. How will people on 60fps play those on 120fps?
You can’t enforce 120 as most budget TVs don’t support it.
Maybe 120hz lobbies? Would really marginalise the players.

Mister Wolf

I’m just wondering how this will work. How will people on 60fps play those on 120fps?

Same way people playing PVP on PC play against people with all kinds of framerates. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Probably coming to PS4 now like Minecraft & Cuphead

Lol, I kid, I kid, settle down.

Probably to mobile tho, like Fortnite

Last edited:

Uiki

Did you play a multiplayer title on pc like... ever?

120hz TVs/144hz monitors don't come in bundles with skills. If you suck, you will still suck balls at 120hz.

Last edited:

the_master

Can anyone tell me what will any of us gain by having halo f2p???
I can make a list of things that will suck because of it.

Zoro7

Banned
Did you play a multiplayer title on pc like... ever?

120hz TVs/144hz monitors don't come in bundles with skills. If you suck, you will still suck balls at 120hz.
But two people of equal skill....one will have an advantage?

is it a mode or will it always run at 120 fps? Thats a LOT of sacrificed graphics for a very small part of the community.

hopefully we can have a 60fps mode with ray tracing

Black_Stride

is it a mode or will it always run at 120 fps? Thats a LOT of sacrificed graphics for a very small part of the community.

hopefully we can have a 60fps mode with ray tracing

Itll be a mode.

Kinda like how Pro and X games have Perf/Resolution modes.

Perf - 120fps
Resolution - 60fps

Obviously if you dont have a 120fps screen connected the game will default to 60fps.
I guess you could force it into 120Hz mode for response purposes but the game will display at 60fps.

Free to play is good. I totally see BR mode as well. Warzone is free to play as well. Good Free to play mp will get more people plus it will have cross play and no paid map packs. Infinite multiplayer is made by same team which made highly acclaimed Halo 5 multiplayer. So i think it will please the fans. I dont see complains for Halo 5 multiplayer.

Top mp games on Xbox live and psn are free to play- PUBG, CrossfireX, Apex, Warzone and Fortnite and they all have millions players spending millions in mtx. Days of paid 60$ mp is gone.

Campaign will be paid if you not under game pass subscription and rumors are is not a small campaign. Apparently its bigger than Halo 4 and 5 campaign combined with free story updates like Halo 4 used to get after launch. I don't know how many remember Halo 4 post launch support. It was pretty good. I downloaded every episode they released for Halo 4

the_master

The game with a massive community.

List the things that will suck.
Halo ALWAYS had a massive comunity!!!

It will suck that they need to make money off the game, like every other f2p game. This means adding progression d lays on the game, this means selling add ons, this means enlongating the game artificially so you never feel satisfied, you always need more. More time and/or more money.

When a game takes this pattern it stops being fun and becomes a chore.

Have you ever played any mobile game? F2p games have certain patterns to make money amd they all suck, they are all worse than paying up front and enjoying the full experience

Black_Stride

Halo ALWAYS had a massive comunity!!!

It will suck that they need to make money off the game, like every other f2p game. This means adding progression d lays on the game, this means selling add ons, this means enlongating the game artificially so you never feel satisfied, you always need more. More time and/or more money.

When a game takes this pattern it stops being fun and becomes a chore.

Have you ever played any mobile game? F2p games have certain patterns to make money amd they all suck, they are all worse than paying up front and enjoying the full experience

I actively play COD Mobile and have never spent a dime.
Its the worst worst culprit of "Hey buy this cool shit!!" ive ever experienced, I still manage to be top of the leaderboard 9 times out of 10. And it actually puts things that could help someone do well behind a pay or grind wall.

Halo is an Arena shooter, the only thing they could even sell you is cosmetics, there wont be a perk or upgrade or weapon you can "progress" to as so to be better than the guy who starts playing Halo today or has no money to spend so the delayed progression argument is moot.
Its like you guys forgot what Halo is, they arent fundamentally changing the core multiplayer experience.

They already announced that there are no pay lootboxes.
The MTX I imagine are to take chance out of the equation.....if you want a helmet that has rabbit ears pay for it.

If you want the "full experience" dont be bedazzled by pretty things.....all our Spartans are Red or Blue.
Play the damn game.

Arthimura

Yeah if you went straight to Remastered then it didnt feel bad and you would have missed the truly bad side of pay expansions, doesnt change the fact it was a GaaS service till it reached end of life.

The problem with expansions in ongoing games is as I mentioned fragmentation of the community: the haves and have nots.

The CS;GO model you are praising is literally what Halo Infinite is going for.
Nothing fundamental is locked behind a paywall, its an arena shooter, they cant give players any sort of edge or even target those who spend more.....if a new shotgun is added to the game, everyone playing will be able to find that new shotgun on the map.

Destiny if a weapon/armor was only available in pack x, then if you didnt have pack x you would never be able to find it.....now when we PvP im fucked because im a cheap bastard, in PvE even if I can play with you, that cool new weapon has to have a reason to entice people to get it, so chances are its better than the gear ive got......Pay2Win?

In a situation where everything thats core and can actually affect gameplay being free, everyone gets it and skins and other cosmetics can be earned with ingame currency (the grind) or you can just buy them outright.
Im sure the req system will return in some fashion for whatever Warzone is evolving into.....but for the core multiplayer experience a person who just wants to play will have an absolute blast because you would be getting content for free, still earning ingame currency that you may or may not spend.
I only spent all the req points in Halo 5 last year.....I had been playing since launch, because I simply had no incentive to spend, I dont care what I look like in the game, I dont care that my weapon has a fancy skin as long as it can kill you. Then I started playing Warzone.
So I loved the experience, people who enjoy that shit also had a blast because they could either grind towards what they wanted or spend real money the same way someone would on an expansion pack or complete edition as in TLOU case.

Seems like a win win to me, those who like just purchasing stuff outright can do that, those who like the grind can do that.
The people who only want the gameplay loop and care little for all the other stuff will have a constant and free stream of new content to play.

To be fair, i think there's not much to discuss since we know almost nothing about the multiplayer, it can be a pure arena shooter or a grindfest full of FOMO tactics and microtransactions trying to make you only play Halo Infinite and nothing else.

I just don't see how they can make money and keep adding new quality content without adding undesired mechanics. A f2p game usually have to annoy the player to make him want to pay to have a better experience.

Let's hope 343 Studios does a good job.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

To be fair, i think there's not much to discuss since we know almost nothing about the multiplayer, it can be a pure arena shooter or a grindfest full of FOMO tactics and microtransactions trying to make you only play Halo Infinite and nothing else.

Let's hope 343 Studios does a good job.

You think Halo Infinite, an almost homage to the series roots might NOT be an Arena shooter?

You dont even believe that.

MTX will be in I have no doubt about that they gotta make money somehow to fund the content drops, the thing is said MTX will have to be cosmetics and/or if Warzone is coming back Req packs.
But something that could alter the core experience of the game? Not a chance, im willing to Avatar bet on that.

FireFly

In 10 years they could release 2 new games. That would be much more content.
The content would be split between 2 games and a substantial amount of it would be duplicated to fill the same niches (X types of slayer map, X type of big team battle map). Which you then would be stuck with until the next game releases.

I loved Warzone in Halo 5 and put hundreds of hours into it, but playing the same 6 maps gets tiring after a while. I don't want to move to a game with another 5 or 6 maps that I will soon get tired of, and then have to wait several years to move over to a new game. I want continual map releases to keep things fresh, and continual additions to the game's arsenal.

In a multiplayer game it makes little sense to me to throw everything out every 3+ years, when the existing maps already work, and you can better spend the time on new gameplay modes and additions to existing arsenal and map roster.

Uiki

But two people of equal skill....one will have an advantage?

There's no such thing as "people with equal skill". Measured how? on what? and when? and by what standards?

Plus, it's halo. It will have a shitton of aim assist for controllers, playing against pc players on m+k. That's orders of magnitude worse than 60hz vs 120hz. Refresh rate is something that will not matter for 99% of infinite playerbase.

I don't see anyone bitchin about warzone and pc players playing on 240hz monitors against 60hz console players.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't see anyone bitchin about warzone and pc players playing on 240hz monitors against 60hz console players.
Warzone on Xbox is a shitshow because you literally can’t turn off cross platform play with PC, and it’s rife with PC cheaters.

343 better make you be able to turn off cross platform play or at least let you restrict it to the UWP win store version.

Shmunter

Warzone on Xbox is a shitshow because you literally can’t turn off cross platform play with PC, and it’s rife with PC cheaters.

343 better make you be able to turn off cross platform play or at least let you restrict it to the UWP win store version.
They should, but unlikely they will split their own eco system

Top Bottom