• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Halo Infinite MP is Free-to-Play and will support 120FPS

ZehDon

Damn it. I don’t think my 4k TV supports 120hz. That would’ve been something to see. Ah well, F2P Halo is still a huge development. Interesting times ahead for the franchise - it’s clear they want to be big, and relevant, again. I believe there is (was?) a F2P Halo for China at some point. How did that perform?

Edit: Ha! Turns out my TV supports up to 100hz. No idea what that's gonna do...

Last edited:

Flintty

Are you the judge of what has and what doesn't have value? I just give my honest takes and yes MS looks bad because I don't like most of what they are doing, deal with it.

I fucking will judge the value of your posts, both when you shit post AND when you act innocent about it.

It’s like me shitting up a TLOU thread just because I’m entitled to my take on it, despite the fact I have no interest in it.

This is gone to be huge Halo Infinite will Launch day 1 on Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Series S, PC, Gamepass, and Steam the potential is enormous already and now add in free multiplayer this could be the biggest Halo launch ever.

Max_Po

Banned
What about the people that enjoyed Halo 4 and 5?

6E3m.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OK, where's all the Sony fans in the thread saying Halo Infinite on GP is bad, free MP is bad, and we should all care about MS' profits?

Never saw anyone care about income statements when PS3 had free online.

Dolomite

Who is buying Halo at full RRP price but doesn't have gold or GP

Vs

People getting the game on GP so it comes with Gold.

I mean, i appreciate the gesture, but is this going to benefit literally anyone?
The gamers. There's now 3 ways to enjoy halo. The MP is free and the price of XBL gold is getting axed. This is great news for US

Honestly I don't think this makes any difference to anyone who's not already a halo fan. The game is still available on lower end platforms and there will be monetization mixed in somewhere, it leads me to believe quality will suffer and quantity of content will be low at launch.

DavidGzz

Honestly I don't think this makes any difference to anyone who's not already a halo fan. The game is still available on lower end platforms and there will be monetization mixed in somewhere, it leads me to believe quality will suffer and quantity of content will be low at launch.

Man, good thing for all the Fortnite fans before the game came out or else it would have died a quick death.

Makes me feel like their show should have been two hours. The second half could have been XSS reveal, Halo news, no more Gold, price. The rumored night of mic drops. Maybe it's still coming but shit be leaking.
I agree. MS doesn't seem like they know what they're doing, their July show should've been a huge blowout but it just wasn't.

This is amazing. First AAA game on console to do 120 at least for mutiplayer. I bet it will be 1080p or something like that which is fine. Good for you xbox. Makes me excited for my tv purchase soon

TaroYamada

This could go either way imo, I think player base would have been very healthy on Game Pass without it being F2P -- so it concerns me that it is. It makes me think they'll head in a nasty microtransactions direction for the multi.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I like this idea a lot. More people getting to play, expand the community. I just hope the game will be able to run at all lmao

MCC launch...........

longdi

Banned
This could go either way imo, I think player base would have been very healthy on Game Pass without it being F2P -- so it concerns me that it is. It makes me think they'll head in a nasty microtransactions direction for the multi.

No need to be concern, MS bought Minecraft, and have seen the light with Pubg and Fortnite.
Phil is taking console gaming, as we know, to a new direction. :messenger_peace:

Arthimura

So you want to keep playing the same game "forever" without it getting any new content?

Because if the devs support the game with new content by definition it becomes a service, whether they charge you for the service or not the ongoing support is the service.

What games do you guys play or rather want to play which never gets content updates?
MP on the same maps with same shit will eventually get stale and the community will die if there is nothing new to look forward to.

Like legit tell me what MP games you are currently playing?

Currently i'm focusing on SP games, finished TLOU2 and i'm playing Ghost of Tsushima.

But i played a fair amount of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, didn't got interested in the seasons and battle pass stuff. And after finishing TLOU 2 i revisited The Last of Us Factions Multiplayer and i had a blast playing it.

I don't mind paying for expansions though, i think it's the best model for multiplayer games.

I just don't like tactics based on FOMO and excess of grind in multiplayer games, i played basically every Blizzard game, then Destiny 2, and i concluded that i'm too old for this bullshit.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Damn it. I don’t think my 4k TV supports 120hz. That would’ve been something to see. Ah well, F2P Halo is still a huge development. Interesting times ahead for the franchise - it’s clear they want to be big, and relevant, again. I believe there is (was?) a F2P Halo for China at some point. How did that perform?

Edit: Ha! Turns out my TV supports up to 200hz. Looking forward to that crisp, smooth 120FPS.
Your TV supports 4K at 200hz? Mind sending me a link of the TV?

I guess Im one of the only people who doesn't like this news? This just tells me it's going to be full of transactions. The game will also be on game pass as well. Who would ever buy this game? What the hell is even this game man?

ZywyPL

Banned
So the MP is free and the SP can be finished with one month of GamePass. Will anyone actually purchase Halo Infinite this year, or ever?

Who thought that would be said a couple years ago...

That's the whole point/strategy, no? To make people wonder, why the hell do I need to spend 60$ on every single game when I can just sub to GP for 15$, and before you notice, you have tens of millions of people on your service, bringing you a steady stream of billions of dollars each month.

Now for the tough questions.

Is Craig the first skin you unlock on the battlepass or is he the lvl 100 reward?

images

BigLee74

Halo has always been great value for money. Tidy 10 hour campaigns, then days of multiplayer.

Giving the larger portion away free detracts from the overall package a bit, so I would like to think those that purchase are still going to get their money's worth!

Having said that, more people get to play Halo, and good for them.

Just don't force console players into crossplay with PC players. That has got to be optional!

the_master

All halo games have had thousands of players since day 1.

Free to play won't make anything better for me. On the contrary. They will mine the game with payed content and slow down the game progression.

the_master

I am also shocked that so many people don't see that this is a business decision. The games that make the largest profits are all f2p. And they are modeled for adiction, fomo and investment.

Top Bottom