• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Thread

I thought the Fear was actually very easy to tranq. The key is
to shoot up some of the poisonous mushrooms and frogs right at the begining of the fight so that when the Fear needs a snack he'll eat the poison, causing his stamina and health to drop and keep him from activating his stealth.
After that a few well placed shots should do him in.

The End is trickier, the key is to never leave him enough time to regenerate. If you lose track of him
it might be better to just stand out in the open and left him shoot you so that you can find his position on the map and get the drop on him.
You can usually get 2-3 shots in with the Mk 22 at close range and as long as you stay with him you can put the old man to sleep.

You actually get the Mossin Sniper rifle for beating the End with the Hush Puppy. To get his camo, you have to sneak up behind him and hold him up 3 times.

Brofist

Laurent said:
I am still playing at normal. Against The Fear or The End is nearly impossible, since they both eat while the fight... What Mossin Sniper Rifle? Where?!

When you fight The Fear trying to get his camo, shoot up all the mushrooms and frogs that you can see in the area. Since he eats food that is readily available, he'll eat em and get posoned, which will weaken him. I also recommend the thermal goggles if you have them, it will allow you to see the mushrooms easier, so you can shoot them. And also see all the traps.

Laurent

Thanks... Although
holding The End appears to me like an impossible task
but it's probably easier than it looks...

Sein

Neo Member
A note about the microfilm:

Some have suggested that Ocelot took the real microfilm and gave Snake the fake one while they grappled on the plane. But you see Snake holding the real microfilm after Eva leaves the cabin with the fake one, so Snake must have had both in his possession.

One question, then, is how he knew that Eva would try to steal the Legacy.

Laurent

Sein said:
A note about the microfilm:

Some have suggested that Ocelot took the real microfilm and gave Snake the fake one while they grappled on the plane. But you see Snake holding the real microfilm after Eva leaves the cabin with the fake one, so Snake must have had both in his possession.

One question, then, is how he knew that Eva would try to steal the Legacy.
Are you suggesting that Snake had replaced the real microfilm with the fake one without ever showing or talk about it with his Major? I dooooooubt this...

Did you guys pay attention to the credits?

The amount of detail paid to this game is amazing. They had consultants, experts, and models for every damn thing in the game. Professional voice acting, an incredible orchestral score, original songs, it's all just incredible.

This is Kojima's magnum opus! :D

Got the game last week and started on Hard mode just like you suggested jett :p

I am 10 hours into it and the game is amazing, much better than MGS2 and MGS

Overall a great game, but the next two weeks are tight for me; lots of college work/assignment and exams so I won't be able to play till Dec 17.

:(

btw how to use the spoiler tag?

Laurent

914828_20041202_screen007.jpg

I am looking for high resolution solutions for my PS2 and GCN, and would like to know how GameSpot can manage to play this game in 800 x 600?! o_O

jett

D-Member
Laurent said:
(While playing for the second time): How can someone manage to defeat every bosses with the MK "Hush Puppy" is beyond me...

Eh, don't forget you can also use CQC. Some bosses go down really fast with it, like
Volgin and The Boss

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished the game last night! I clocked in at just above 30h. Yeah, I really took my sweet time, no rushing anywhere, but I can't say I exactly wasted the time with pointless wandering either. What can I say, I guess others already sang pretty much every gospel I could think of. The chase scene is amazing, the whole ending piece is a rollercoaster ride with crazy ups and downs (downs being slower moments like
going around with wounded Eva
). I'm completely in love and captivated by the game now - can't stop thinking about it, the whole thing is pretty much perfect, IMO.

There really is a lot to see and hear, the game just feels absolutely huge, and the insane attention to detail everywhere just gives it some kind of surreal quality. When I try to remember some of the things that happened when I started playing it two weeks ago, it really fels like stuff that happened somewhere in some parallel life, that's how memorable and captivating it all was. Weird feeling, I can tell you, and only (out)matched by what I felt about Ico - however, since Ico was much shorter, the impression here is definitely different.

Thre are nly two things that I expected to happen, but they never did. One of them is that
that I thought the encounter with Sorrow would be just first of the two encouters with him - As amazingly staged and captivating as it was, it just seemed like I got by too easy when I met him. He apeeared before the Volgin fight though, which was a nice and a creepy touch.
The other would be that I expected to see the
Shagohod's front part start walking at one point, like regular Metal Gears do, but that never happened either

I'm going to read all the spoilers in this thread now, but I would definitely like to know what was that
microfilm that Snake was looking at at the end of the game - that is after Eva stole his (fake) microfilm. Surely that could not have been the real microfilm Snake was looking at, as Ocelot got the real one - that's I guess how patriots got enough money to do all the crap they did in MGS1 and 2

I second that.
Anyone know?
You would need a DScaler to do something like that. I've seen screenshots of PS2 games running through that DScaler, and it looked pretty damn good with right settings.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
That's not a GameSpot screenshot. That's a shot from Konami. The PS2 can't capture that sharply, not even with Dscaler.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also, can someone answer where in the game (if anywhere) plays the piece of music that could have been heard in the first ever released trailer. If you want to know what piece of music I'm talking about, play the song #2 from the recently released soundrack - the song's ID3 title is "METAL GEAR SOLID" Main Theme (METAL GEAR SOLID 3 Version) " and the piece I'm talking about starts at 2:00 into the song and ends at 4:20.

jett

D-Member
Marconelly said:
Also, can someone answer where in the game (if anywhere) plays the piece of music that could have been heard in the first ever released trailer. If you want to know what piece of music I'm talking about, play the song #2 from the recently released soundrack - the song's ID3 title is "METAL GEAR SOLID" Main Theme (METAL GEAR SOLID 3 Version) " and the piece I'm talking about starts at 2:00 into the song and ends at 4:20.

Well, from 3:20 until 4:20 plays when you are
escaping from the Ocelots in the sewers
. From 2:00 to 3:00 is from the original MGS2 trailer too, I think. :p

montanha

Son, you've got to wait to fall
They'll tell you where to go
But they won't know

:(...

the lyrics and mood of the last song are so powerful, I think. They really wrap it up and made me want to start the game over again immediately.

montanha

jett said:
escaping from the Ocelots in the sewers
. From 2:00 to 3:00 is from the original MGS2 trailer too, I think. :p

just reminded me. Anyone else kind of go 'wtf!?' when
Ocelot did his 'meow' the first time, to call his soldiers? That and all his hand expressions and taunts, throughout the game- just another element of the game cinematics that rocked.

Laurent

montanha said:
just reminded me. Anyone else kind of go 'wtf!?' when
Ocelot did his 'meow' the first time, to call his soldiers? That and all his hand expressions and taunts, throughout the game- just another element of the game cinematics that rocked.
He's a teenager... He's searching unceasingly for his own identity... Or he waste too much time with Vulgin! :lol

jett

D-Member
Laurent said:
Does it always snow when Snake arrive at Groznyj Grad (after his fight with The Fury)?

No, only for a short while.

Oh and Ocelot's meow is freaking ghey, Kojima should just have made him whistle. :p

montanha

jett said:

Oh and Ocelot's meow is freaking ghey, Kojima should just have made him whistle. :p

ha, yeah. or maybe it was intentional and Ocelot is another gay or bi Kojima product
:lol

Laurent

jett said:

What I meant was, does the weather scripted in the game? I know that day and night is scripted, but maybe the weather was random-calendar-wise...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I guess that was because Ocelots are from the cat family, and the sign for his troops to back him up. And because he's just a f'n freak in general :p Easily one of my favorite characters in the game, I would grin every time he did that hand gesture - and that 'last showdown' was just great :)

escaping from the Ocelots in the sewers.
Yeah, I remember that... I actually meant that first piece.

From 2:00 to 3:00 is from the original MGS2 trailer too, I think. :p
Really? I don't remember that. I guess it was not used in the game then :( Too bad, I absolutely love that music.

Laurent

I won't make a thread simply for this (and it's Metal Gear related anyway): Where could I find Time Attack videos of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake?

Miburou

Laurent said:
I won't make a thread simply for this (and it's Metal Gear related anyway): Where could I find Time Attack videos of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake?

Try the universal bittorent site.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What I meant was, does the weather scripted in the game? I know that day and night is scripted, but maybe the weather was random-calendar-wise...
Weather changes seem to be location based. They won't happen everywhere - only in certain locations - but I'm not sure if they are completely scripted either. They probably are though, and they happen after you've been at certain location for X number of minutes.

montanha

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there are places in the game you go through, and then can return to later to obtain new items there, and yes, witness different weather.

Anyone have a list of these spots and items/weather changes? That would be 'boss'.
:D

jett

D-Member
Quadrophenic said:
oh yeah...so what does Kurobawa mean?
It was answered earlier in the thread. Some sort of japanese saying...along the lines "don't let me be struck by lightning", or something like that. :p

And it's Kuwabara.

jett said:
It was answered earlier in the thread. Some sort of japanese saying...along the lines "don't let me be struck by lightning", or something like that. :p

And it's Kuwabara.

Oh thanks.
how ironic for Volgin then, ;)

EekTheKat

Weird/strange thing that struck me about this game :

Snake never really talks to Volgin, nor does he say anything to the Cobras (outside of The Boss)

In fact I'm pretty sure he never says a word to Volgin.

lunlunqq

EekTheKat said:

Snake never really talks to Volgin, nor does he say anything to the Cobras (outside of The Boss)

he did talk to Volgin a little bit. right before their fight in the hangar, he asked Volgin about the legacy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
EekTheKat said:

I noticed that as well. I mean he says a few words, but most of the time he is just standing there and taking it all in. Like that whole torture scene...I don't think Snake said a word. And I can't remember him ever saying anything to any of The Cobras. The only villian that he had conversations with was Ocelot. And no, I don't consider The Boss a villian. :p

Laurent

Did Solid Snake talk that much in the original Metal Gear Solid to bosses?! Except maybe Sniper Wolf and Liquid, I can't remember him speak a lot to the others...

Miburou

Here are some bugs/glitches I found in MGS3:

- When fighting the last boss for the first time, the cut-scene afterwards did not show Snake in the camo he was wearing during the fight, like in every other cut-scene. But when I fought the same boss again (using the hush puppy), it did.

- You had to meet someone halfway through the game, but you couldn't if there was an alert (like Zero would remind you). The door would simply not open. Yet after several tries, I was able to open the door and meet the person even under alert.

- I was under attack, so I went into a room and equipped a box. Some soldier kept going into the room, slashing the air just inches away from the box, and repeating, never hitting me.

- I was in caution mode in another place, and hid under a box (and had the scientist uniform equipped). One soldier lifted the box, but then said something like "I must've been imagining things", but a second later this other soldier had the question mark pop over his head, walked towards me, then said the same thing. This kept happening (with the caution timer resetting every couple of seconds), until one of them kicked me, and the alert mode went into red.

Laurent

Miburou said:
- I was in caution mode in another place, and hid under a box (and had the scientist uniform equipped). One soldier lifted the box, but then said something like "I must've been imagining things", but a second later this other soldier had the question mark pop over his head, walked towards me, then said the same thing. This kept happening (with the caution timer resetting every couple of seconds), until one of them kicked me, and the alert mode went into red.
When you are disguise as a scientist, guards won't automaticly suspect you; even on Caution mode. I don't think that's such a glitch...

Meanwhile, I saw a guard running in the air, while on Caution mode, at the top of the mountain. He was "stuck" between the cliff and the narrow passage... I killed him, since he obviously was suffering from this glitch! :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have noticed that there are couple of scenes that were in the first trailer, that are not in the game.

- Snake jumping off the edge of a cliff, down the waterfall, after being chased by some dogs.

- Snake firing from a machine gun in front of the burning forest fire.

Both scenes have something simillar happening in the game, but not exactly the same.

Also, the music I mentioned before, seems to be missing (unless it's in one of the healing radio stations)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, but you can
Haha, nope!
Well, you can shoot, but once the cutscene is done and you get to control Snake, there's no more fire there, as the rain puts it down

I don't really care either way (both scenes were cool, but there so much more better stuff to see now, that it's not a big deal) but I'm kinda sad that my favourite piece of music didn't make the cut.

Tabris

No, there's a moment where you're walking before the rain kicks in I believe.

So there's like 5 seconds to do the trailer scene, I think.

kumanoki

I just want to say that I finally got MGS3 last night, sat through the opening sequence, played not ten minutes of the game, and all I have to say is:

MGS3 is GOTY.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Question for Jett or anyone else who has found this easter egg:

what are you supposed to do to get that fake "this is not a valid Playstation disc" error message when you boot MGS3?
I remember Jett posted this thing as a separate thread maybe a week or two ago.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Miburou said:
So nobody know anything about this supposed mini-game?

Yeah, there is only part of the game where you can play it though.

Save your game when Snake is in the jail cell. Come back later and load that save, you should get the zombie fighting mini-game.

Top Bottom